HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,976
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16363
01/09/06 06:52 PM
01/09/06 06:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
So what you're saying, MM, is that God exerts a lot of effort on those for whom He knows it will be futile. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any statements from inspiration that supports this point of view, but I'd be interesting in seeing something like this.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16364
01/09/06 10:50 PM
01/09/06 10:50 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I know you asked MM, Tom but at the risk of repeating myself, I'll cite you this one:

quote:
9:22 [What] if God, willing to show [his] wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, Romans

We've been 'circling this mountain long enough.' But when I learned about Miller, I had to share with you all that Adventism's primary founder and best evangalist believed in the doctrine of the election. So here is empirical evidence that belief in the doctrine of the election in no way hampers outreach efforts of the evangalist. We could cite several more examples.

This is not a final test of the doctrine, but it is a point - in keeping with the maxim, 'You'll know them by their fruit'.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16365
01/09/06 11:37 PM
01/09/06 11:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark, this isn't a good text for this discussion because Paul is discussing something altogether different than we are. Notice how Paul ends his train of thought:

quote:
31But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

32Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

Israel failed, not because of divine fiat, but because they did not seek righteousness by faith, which is the only way it can be obtained. In the first part of this thread is quite a bit of material regarding the interpretation of this passage. I cited an article, and also discussed myself the interpretation. One needs to take into account the context to properly interpret these verses.

(How did I do for brief here? [Smile] )

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16366
01/11/06 12:44 AM
01/11/06 12:44 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Better!

The election is always taught in the scripture in the context of divine love, not merely divine fiat. In the first part of Deuteronomy we see the idea repeated several times that God chose Israel because He loved them. It is God choosing them that makes the difference. They needed to respond in faith to that love, that divine choice. Like us, sometimes they did, and sometimes they didn't.

The election doctrine is as prominent in the Old Testament as it is in the writings of Paul and John.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16367
01/11/06 03:15 PM
01/11/06 03:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
In the first part of Deuteronomy we see the idea repeated several times that God chose Israel because He loved them. It is God choosing them that makes the difference. They needed to respond in faith to that love, that divine choice. Like us, sometimes they did, and sometimes they didn't.
God loves everybody, and chooses (in the normal sense we use the term) everybody. God accepts those who comply to the conditions of being accepted, which is responding by faith (see the Romans 9 quote I cited).

The SOP statement makes the concept clear:
a)God calls everyone.
b)Only those who refuse to respond are rejected.

The reason for the emphasis on God's choice is to make clear that it is on the basis of God's action, not ours, that we are saved. It is by His goodness, not ours -- that's why His election is emphasized, not for the reasons Calvinism envisions.

We need to be very careful that we rightly understand God's character in considering these things. That's really the big issue here. Would God arbitrarily choose some and reject others? It harms us spiritually if we believe God capable of acting in this way.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16368
01/11/06 06:20 PM
01/11/06 06:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following quotes establishes the beautiful balance between our part and God's part in the salvation of our souls:

2MCP 691
The Spirit of God does not propose to do our part, either in the willing or the doing. This is the work of the human agent in cooperating with the divine agencies. As soon as we incline our will to harmonize with God's will, the grace of Christ stands to cooperate with the human agent; but it will not be the substitute to do our work independent of our resolving and decidedly acting. Therefore it is not the abundance of light, and evidence piled upon evidence, that will convert the soul it is only the human agent accepting the light, arousing the energies of the will, realizing and acknowledging that which he knows is righteousness and truth, and thus cooperating with the heavenly ministrations appointed to God in the saving of the soul.--Lt 135, 1898. {2MCP 691.3}

MYP 147, 148
While these youth were working out their own salvation, God was working in them to will and to do of His good pleasure. Here are revealed the conditions of success. To make God's grace our own, we must act our part. The Lord does not propose to perform for us either the willing or the doing. His grace is given to work in us to will and to do, but never as a substitute for our effort. Our souls are to be aroused to co-operate. The Holy Spirit works in us, that we may work out our own salvation. This is the practical lesson the Holy Spirit is striving to teach us. "It is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure." {MYP 147.2}

The Lord will co-operate with all who earnestly strive to be faithful in His service, as He co-operated with Daniel and his three companions. Fine mental qualities and a high tone of moral character are not the result of accident. God gives opportunities; success depends upon the use made of them. The openings of Providence must be quickly discerned and eagerly entered. There are many who might become mighty men, if, like Daniel, they would depend upon God for grace to be overcomers, and for strength and efficiency to do their work. {MYP 147.3}

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16369
01/11/06 07:26 PM
01/11/06 07:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Therefore it is not the abundance of light, and evidence piled upon evidence, that will convert the soul it is only the human agent accepting the light, arousing the energies of the will, ...
A very good point.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16370
01/12/06 01:19 AM
01/12/06 01:19 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I do not mean to minimize the role of the human will. But it is equally important in portraying the character of God not to minimize the role of God.

How is it Tom that 'all Israel will be saved'? Only the doctrine of the election can answer that. The election doctrine cannot apply to the visible nation or to the visible church.

quote:
11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
11:27 For this [is] my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Ellen White did not give the idea prominence though, likely because it tends to be misconstrued by many people. Maybe I should follow her example.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16371
01/12/06 02:51 PM
01/12/06 02:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
I do not mean to minimize the role of the human will. But it is equally important in portraying the character of God not to minimize the role of God.
There's no tension here. God's role is to be like Jesus. Or to say it more accurately, Jesus Christ fully revealed God's character. God is just like Jesus. There's not a hint of arbitrariness in Jesus Christ. The election doctrine, as envisioned by Calvinists, is fully arbitrary.

I have a theory that every error can be traced back to perceiving God to be in some way arbitrary. I haven't developed it, but my intution is that it is probably accurate.

quote:
How is it Tom that 'all Israel will be saved'? Only the doctrine of the election can answer that. The election doctrine cannot apply to the visible nation or to the visible church.
It's not the doctrine of election that answers this, but the doctrine of Israel -- that is, understanding who Israel is in Scripture.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16372
01/21/06 01:55 PM
01/21/06 01:55 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
How does scripture define Israel Tom? You may use different descriptive terms, but at the core of the definition, isn't it true that the people of the true Israel are the elect?

Is there anyone among this spiritual nation that is not elect? any one who obtained his citizenship by his choice of 'nationality' rather than by election? It is true that all of spiritual Israel responds to the call. But Christ has the authority to confer eternal life and citizenship in spiritual Israel according to scripture and Ellen White. There is a difference between a royal perogative, a divine attribute, and co-ercive arbitrariness. One is based on a saving love, the other on self-centredness.

Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/20/24 01:04 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!