HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,976
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16373
01/21/06 02:39 PM
01/21/06 02:39 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
When I was in college I took a course called ‘Christian Belief’s’. One of the points it brought out was that the covenant of God with ancient and modern Israel is quite different from modern contracts in that under an ordinary modern contract the two parties are exchanging services or good on an equal footing. In contrast, under the covenant, God is asking for fidelity and loyalty in a marriage-like relationship based on the salvation that He has abundantly already supplied.

In the following quotes, all from Deuteronomy, the key factor in the salvation of literal Israel is the fact that God has chosen them, not arbitrarily, but because He loved them. God’s election is an act of love.
quote:

4:37 And because he loved thy fathers, therefore he chose their seed after them, and brought thee out in his sight with his mighty power out of Egypt;

7:6 For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that [are] upon the face of the earth.
7:7 The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye [were] the fewest of all people:
7:8 But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he [is] God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

10:15 Only the LORD had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, [even] you above all people, as [it is] this day.
10:16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.

14:2 For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that [are] upon the earth.

Deuteronomy

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16374
01/28/06 05:44 AM
01/28/06 05:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Something made me think of this quote, in relation to this topic. I can't remember it is was already posted in this topic or not (might be a repeat). Anyway, I thought of it, so thought I would post it.

quote:
All should be intelligent in regard to the agency by which the soul is destroyed. It is not because of any decree that God has sent out against man. He does not make man spiritually blind. God gives sufficient light and evidence to enable man to distinguish truth from error. But He does not force man to receive truth. He leaves him free to choose the good or to choose the evil. If man resists evidence that is sufficient to guide his judgment in the right direction, and chooses evil once, he will do this more readily the second time. The third time he will still more eagerly withdraw himself from God and choose to stand on the side of Satan. And in this course he will continue until he is confirmed in evil, and believes the lie he has cherished as truth. His resistance has produced its harvest (MS 126, 1901 - Emphasis mine).

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16375
03/17/06 11:54 AM
03/17/06 11:54 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
God has always chosen those who are saved. You say God chooses everyone, but is that a reasonable interpretation of the texts from Deuteronomy in my last post? Is that a fair interpretation of Christ's statements like 'my sheep [those that belong to Christ] hear my voice', or, 'A man can have nothing unless it is given to him by God' or, 'You did not choose me but I chose you'. IMO, in order to synthesize your quote with Deuteronomy and Christ's statements and the statements of Paul and John, we need to let both perspectives to be true and look for the harmony.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16376
03/17/06 05:02 PM
03/17/06 05:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
From a previous post of mine:
------------------------------------------------

quote:Scripture teaches that all are drawn and enlightened. But not all are chosen. Christ taught that it is the Father who ultimately takes credit for the saved whom He gives to Christ. He does not assign any credit to those who respond favourably.

It appears to me you are using the term "chosen" in a way which was not intended. Please consider the following:

quote:The Lord saw our fallen condition; He saw our need of grace, and because He loved our souls, He has given us grace and peace. Grace means favor to one who is undeserving, to one who is lost. The fact that we are sinners, instead of shutting us away from the mercy and love of God, makes the exercise of His love to us a positive necessity in order that we may be saved. Christ says, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain" (John 15:16) (1SM 347).

God chose us because if He hadn't, we would have been lost. The emphasis of these texts in Scripture is that our being saved is due to God's grace, not to our own initiative. It's not saying that God arbitrarily chooses some and not others.

Please note the sentence marked in bold. This explains the intent of "chosen" very clearly, I believe.

Indeed, the fact that God draws all (as you have brought out) shows that all are chosen (in the sense of the word "chosen" that you are using).
------------------------------------------------

"Chosen" can mean different things depending on the context. God is not willing that any should perish. He draws all to Himself. Some refuse; these are rejected. Some respond; these are chosen. This is one sense of the word "chosen".

Another sense would be in the sense of initiation. In this sense God chooses all.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16377
03/17/06 06:23 PM
03/17/06 06:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
It doesn't make sense to me to say God chooses to save everyone unless we qualify it by adding God chooses to save everyone who chooses to be saved.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16378
03/17/06 08:30 PM
03/17/06 08:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mark

How does your version of the elect compare with the one Calvin the reformator had?

/Thomas

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16379
03/18/06 01:32 AM
03/18/06 01:32 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Mark:
God has always chosen those who are saved. You say God chooses everyone, but is that a reasonable interpretation of the texts from Deuteronomy in my last post?

Mark it should be evident that the discourse in Deuteronomy does not have to do with salvation or eternal life, but with God’s choice of Israel for a particular purpose. Nevertheless God did choose them. The question is how is it that most of the chosen and elect people did not fulfil their calling?

quote:
Is that a fair interpretation of Christ's statements like 'my sheep [those that belong to Christ] hear my voice',
“My sheep” speaks of those who listen, believe and obey; therefore they are his sheep. They are his sheep because they believe. It is evident that many were chosen or elected first and yet did not listen, believe and obey. Just because one is chosen does not mean they are his sheep.

quote:
or, 'A man can have nothing unless it is given to him by God' or,
But of course, a man can have nothing unless it is given to him by God. But God has given to all men.
  • Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him ...
There is a that; The only way a man can receive anything from God is if they listen, believe, and obey. If a man will do his will he shall know.

quote:
'You did not choose me but I chose you'.
That is true. It is not like we have elected him to lead us (like we elect a prime minister or president), but that He has called us out to follow him. Salvation is not of our engineering and design; it is not our program. It is God’s choice for man, his plan and purpose and design; his choice for us.

quote:
IMO, in order to synthesize your quote with Deuteronomy and Christ's statements and the statements of Paul and John, we need to let both perspectives to be true and look for the harmony.
The harmony is: the simple reality that as it was in Deuteronomy that God “chose” or “elected” Israel for a purpose, and yet they did not (most of them did not) fulfill their election purpose; many of the chosen ones did not fulfill their calling. And at the same time there were those who were not chosen and elected who did become God’s people and fulfilled the purpose.

• Isa 65:1 I am sought of them that asked not; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name.

The harmony is in that God chose and purposed that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: sons and daughters of the most high. God never had another purpose. But not all are willing to answer the call or meet his choice.

• Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
    Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Luk 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16380
03/18/06 03:18 PM
03/18/06 03:18 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Thomas, I don't actually know much about what Calvin taught. I know a little about Calvinism as it's taught today and there may or may not be a big difference between the two. Regarding modern Calvinism, I disagree with 'Irresistible Grace'. If I remember right, modern Calvinists also teach 'once saved always saved', although I'm not sure on that one. I think modern Calvinists also may teach the doctrine of 'original sin' and I disagree with that too.

What I'm saying is "don't throw out the concept of 'predestined' and 'election' because of other equally valid doctrines like the role of the will, the human choice, our duty to respond to the gospel invitation, etc".

John, Israel was the visible church in its day. God chose it to fulfil that purpose, to represent Him in the world, but, was it God's purpose that caused Him to choose Israel, or was it God's choosing Israel that qualified them to fulfil His purpose? It was the latter wasn't it? Israel is a type of the invisible church - those who are truly saved. All of the saints in this group are 'elect', and 'predestined'.

Below is a text from Amos. Notice that God says He only 'knows' Israel of all the nations. Didn't God know all about the other nations? He did. But He 'knew' Israel in a special, unique sense. They were His chosen bride. And yet, they were an illustration of the salvation covenant between Christ and the invisible church.
quote:

You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities. Amos 3:2

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16381
03/18/06 10:12 PM
03/18/06 10:12 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
John, Israel was the visible church in its day. God chose it to fulfil that purpose, to represent Him in the world, but, was it God's purpose that caused Him to choose Israel, or was it God's choosing Israel that qualified them to fulfil His purpose? It was the latter wasn't it? Israel is a type of the invisible church - those who are truly saved. All of the saints in this group are 'elect', and 'predestined'.
That is the point I brought out! That even though God did choose them, they (most of them) did not fulfill his purpose. The point about God choosing does not establish that the chosen ones fulfill his purpose. In the same manner the point that God chose and predestined everyone to be saved and become the children of God does not mean that all will accept or fulfill his will.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16382
03/20/06 11:55 PM
03/20/06 11:55 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
This is where we differ: I say that the election and predestination only apply to the saints, not to Israel of the flesh but s p i r i t u a l Israel. Most of you here say everyone is elected and predestined. So we read the passages differently.

Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/20/24 01:04 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!