HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16383
03/21/06 12:51 PM
03/21/06 12:51 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
I say that the election and predestination only apply to the saints, not to Israel of the flesh but s p i r i t u a l Israel.
Yes we know that it is only spiritual Israel that is saved; but that is not of whom the scripture says is chosen and elected and predestined.

Rom 10:21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

Therefore the point of the chosen and elected and predestined has to rest as the scripture places it upon both the obedient and the disobedient. Otherwise the OT has no merit in the equation.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16384
03/21/06 06:13 PM
03/21/06 06:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There's a sense in which "predistination" can be applied to either all or just the saved. To predestine is simply to choose ahead of time. God has chosen that those who are Christ's, which are those who choose to have faith in Christ, are those who will be saved. So in this sense only the elect, or saved, are predestined.

In another sense, God is not willing that any should perish, but have a knowledge of the truth. He would have all be saved. So in terms of God's preference, or choice, He would have all be saved. But the only ones who will be accepted (or chosen) are those who have faith in Christ.

The means of salvation is totally chosen by God, or predestined by Him. The opportunity to take part in the salvation is available to all. "Whosoever will may come."

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16385
06/29/06 01:59 AM
06/29/06 01:59 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I will try to come back to your point John that the election applies to literal Israel rather than spiritual. Without quoting a text, I'd say that the election of literal Israel is an illustration of the election of spiritual Israel. I'm probably repeating myself.

But I want to switch the focus here for a bit from the election and look at a thought from Martin Luther regarding the will. In 1519 or right around that year he attended his pivotal debate with Dr. Eck and it was at this time that Luther made some sweeping statements regarding the limited role of the human will. His position and the position of the reformation theologians that accompanied him basically was that it is completely the work of God to transform the will. Of itself, the will cannot choose good. I'll try to have a direct quote for you all by tomorrow.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16386
06/29/06 12:30 PM
06/29/06 12:30 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
I like the direction you are heading here, Mark.

I'll wait till you expand your post there.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16387
06/30/06 11:01 AM
06/30/06 11:01 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
According to D'Aubigne in his History of the Reformation, in July 1517 Luther was invited by Duke George, cousin of Frederick the Wise, to give a Sunday sermon in his chapel. George, like Frederick, was an elector of the emperor and one of the most powerful princes in Germany. Luther spoke, among other things, about the Biblical election and free will. Unfortunately, the Duke was not impressed with Luther's doctrine. Why did Luther choose that topic? D'Aubinge tells us that Luther saw a need to focus more attention on the issue of free will because in his view, it was a false view of this issue that had been a central pillar of the false doctrines of religious philosophy from the days of Aristotle. Luther attributed much of the intellectual darkness of his day and for centuries before to Aristotle whom the Catholic Church of the Middle Ages had idolized. So shortly after returning from his Sunday sermon engagement, Luther set to work to explain the role of the will and produced 99 theses - four more than the famous ones that were nailed to the door of the chapel. These 99 though are more relevant to us today and deserve to be studied. (I was going to quote from the Luther/Eck debate that occurred some months later, but the thesis provide a better overview). Here are a few:

• It is true that man, who has become a corrupt tree, can will or do naught but evil.
• It is false that the will, left to itself, can do good as well as evil; for it is not free, but in bondage.
• It is not in the power of Man’s will to choose or reject whatever is offered to it.
• Man cannot of his own nature will God to be God. He would prefer to be God himself, and that God were not God.
• The excellent, infallible, and sole preparation for grace, is the eternal election and predestination of God.
• It is false to say that if man does all that he can, he removes the obstacles to grace.
• In a word, nature possesses neither a pure reason nor a good will.

Although Luther proclaimed the powerlessness of man, he tempered that position by noting the following in his eighth theses:

• It does not hence follow that the will is naturally depraved, that is to say, that its nature is that of evil itself, as the Manichees have taught.

I hesitated to include the thesis at the fifth bullet because I don't want to be side-tracked right now by Luther's teaching on the election, but after considering it further I thought I would leave it in just to show that Luther saw a close connection between the doctrine of free will and the election. For now though, I'm suggesting we focus on the free will theses. There are more, but let's look at these.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16388
06/30/06 11:17 AM
06/30/06 11:17 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Can the entire 99 be found on any webpage?

/Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16389
07/01/06 01:21 PM
07/01/06 01:21 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I spent 20 minutes trying to find the thesis but wasn’t able to locate them on the web. Here is a link to many of his writings but I don’t think the 99 are there. The 95 are and much more.

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/wittenberg/wittenberg-luther.html

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16390
07/01/06 04:30 PM
07/01/06 04:30 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
What do you all think of Luther's position? His statements remind me of a few of Ellen White's. One of the prayers she suggested for us is: 'Take my heart for I cannot give it...' Our situation according to her then is very desperate; we cannot even choose to give to God our hearts!

Isn't that similar to this statement by Luther?:

• It is false to say that if man does all that he can, he removes the obstacles to grace.

Both are saying that all we can do is to behave like poor beggars, asking Christ to change us so that we actually want to do what is right. We can't of ourselves choose to do anything good and what is more, we can't of ourselves choose to even give our hearts to God. We can only give our consent to God to be changed. So, from start to finish, our salvation is a work of grace.

Quote:

No outward observances can take the place of simple faith and entire renunciation of self. But no man can empty himself of self. We can only consent for Christ to accomplish the work. Then the language of the soul will be, Lord, take my heart; for I cannot give it. It is Thy property. Keep it pure, for I cannot keep it for Thee. Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self. Mold me, fashion me, raise me into a pure and holy atmosphere, where the rich current of Thy love can flow through my soul. {COL 159.3}

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16391
07/01/06 11:48 PM
07/01/06 11:48 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Before I go on to answer this question in further detail. I would like us to consider how the three parables relate to this topic?

The lost coin. The one for whom was searched until found; who could do nothing for himself.

The lost sheep. The one that knew it was lost and trapped and could do no more than bleat; for whom the Lord went and searched and brought back home.

The prodigal son. The one who knew the way home and it was expected of him to do so; for whom the Lord did not send anyone, but waited longingly.

There are other parables as well, meaning that we should be ware of trying to create a unilateral problem or solution. Sin is too deceptive for such a scene, and God meets us where we are. Nevertheless there are good points that we can get hold of, and I shall put them in the next post.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16392
07/02/06 12:08 AM
07/02/06 12:08 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Mark: Luther made some sweeping statements regarding the limited role of the human will. His position and the position of the reformation theologians that accompanied him basically was that it is completely the work of God to transform the will. Of itself, the will cannot choose good.

This is a very good point Mark, and this subject ties in with the topic on the spirit of man. The issue has to deal with understanding what the function of the will is and what its power is. Sin has indeed subverted the power of the will, but the Lord has placed enmity, so that sin would not obliterate the way of salvation. So yes, whosoever commits sin is the servant of sin. So what of salvation?

Here is something I posted on another thread some time back. Sorry, if it’s choppy as it comes from a number of posts which had related conversation. So if something is not clear let me know.

The fundamental difference is the exercising of willpower before conversion (which is a religious activity that has no power to do what is good). This amounts to will power being used to overcome temptation, resulting in an unholy life.

When willpower is used to control thoughts, feelings or behavior; the result will be an unholy life. When willpower is used to overcome temptation the result will be an unholy life. This other wise is called ‘will worship’. It is the state of the unconverted man and is what Paul was talking about in Romans 7; (Since Paul was describing his condition of the time when he did not know how to perform that which is good)

When one speaks about the will and willpower one needs to understand what it is that the power of the will is; and what it is that the will can govern. The will cannot at anytime directly govern, our thoughts, feelings, or in reality behavior. It is the spirit that governs these. Whatever spirit one is of; such will be his thoughts, feelings and behavior. Granted, the will is part of the spirit, but it is not the spirit.

MM asked numerous times if the mind is the same as the spirit or heart. I will try to make this clear in light of Romans 7. Confusions arise when there is a deprived understanding of the difference between spirit and mind. Paul, in Romans 7; 14-25 establishes and makes that distinction by telling us that he served the law of God with his mind, but was still under the law of sin death because he did not yet discover the way of the spirit which he unveils in Romans 8.

Often times in conversation mind and spirit could be interchanged depending on the context and aspect. However they are fundamentally and functionally different; different in their government and powers. Basically speaking mind deals with learned knowledge, values, principles, purposes etc. These have been received, accepted and validated by the spirit of man. The spirit largely consists of will and faith. Before anything becomes ours in the mind, it needs to be accepted (given authority and validity) by our spirit. The highest authority in man is his spirit. The spirit does not have to be subject, and is not supposed to be subject to whatever is in the mind. It can override it invalidate it, or investigate things unknown. But the spirit must have a source. In other words, something is trusted (whether reasonable or not, known or unknown. Yet that something is chosen by the will. Whatever is chosen becomes the source and is master over us.

The will certainly is the dominant function of the heart or spirit; however the power of the will is faith, which is the other dominant function of the heart or spirit. Yet faith cannot be but where the will puts it, nevertheless without faith the will would have no power.

So the point is that the power of the will is faith. But sin has brought in doubt, meaning that the power of the will is broken (in spiritual matters). Now, what has actually transpired in sin is that faith was removed from God and placed in the flesh (ones own senses, judgment). At that point the will became subject to these.

So, the spirit’s governing largely consists of will and faith. The power of the will is “faith”, and that is the only power that the will directly governs. Without faith, the will has no power. We can choose who to have faith in; whom to believe. Now faith is not a set of beliefs or doctrines one assents to. Those would be beliefs or information in the mind, which would be religion and not spirit. Faith in this context is the “gate” or “door” (the network security controlling authority of what passes in or out). It is obvious therefore that whatever faith authorizes; permits through, becomes part of us. But “faith” is governed by the will, and that is the only thing that the will directly governs. Christ spoke of it this way:

Joh 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
Joh 10:2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
Joh 10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
Joh 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
Joh 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
Joh 10:6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.
Joh 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
Joh 10:8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
Joh 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Joh 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

This door is the door of faith (the faith of Jesus).

It is important to understand that whatever is trusted; wherever our faith is, such will be the spirit.

A carnal spirit is the natural state of fallen man. Why so? Simply put, faith was removed from the spirit of God and placed in one’s own judgment; the natural avenues of information to the mind which man is left with; the five senses would be the resulting source. Note, it is not the mind which is the source, but the five senses, and these are only inputs for whatever they happen to be directed towards. So the source determines the nature of our spirit. So while before the fall, the spirit of God was the source for man’s spirit, governing all the other inputs to the mind; after the fall, the physical became the source for the spirit, hence the carnal spirit and mind. Now in these avenues of senses, one may favor one or several over the other. So you can have the “intellectual”, “sensual”, “religious”, “temporal”, etc; nevertheless it is all carnal.

So, what is the spirit of man? The spirit takes the attributes of whatever we have chosen to have faith in. Yet once faith is placed, the spirit dominates the being, and the will and faith are part of it. And we know and see no different then our spirit perceives it. Now as Tom said, the Lord stepped in immediately to put enmity into this equation, so that we may be saved from this state. So, the spirit of the Lord strives with man’s spirit, the law (knowledge) establishes controversy in the mind, and the gospel is preached (the avenue of hearing) to reach us by the word of faith.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Rom 4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

In conversion, man, having heard the word of faith, exercises his will to believe God thus placing his faith in God, meaning that he opens the door of faith to God making God the source, hence subverting (breaking faith with) all things within himself, making them subject to God, resulting in the indwelling of God by his spirit in our spirit. Thus by faith the source is changed; that from henceforth faith is to permit and authorize (we will trust and accept as valid input) only that which is from God, severing faith with the old man, resulting in the union of our spirit with God’s spirit. Hence we no longer live in (do not trust) our understanding but the Lord becomes our understanding, and righteousness and life. Hence the new birth means a new spirit. Our spirit reflects then the attributes of His spirit making us his children, and the fruit of the spirit is ours.

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!