HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 25 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 24 25
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16443
08/04/06 01:14 PM
08/04/06 01:14 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
In my last post I said faith is the point of fusion between the will of God and the will of man. That is probably a bit inaccurate. A better statement would be to say that faith is the motive force that makes the fusion between the will of God and the will of man possible. The apostle says faith is the victory that overcomes the world. The victory is referring to the battle that Christ won for us. So 'our' faith is the faith of Christ, a gift given to 'us'.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16444
08/04/06 02:18 PM
08/04/06 02:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

I'm saying that the Spirit can regenerate a person in a limited sense without converting him.

This is a very unusual use of the term, one I don't think I've ever seen before. Webster's defines is as "spiritually reborn or converted."

This is both the dictionary definition of the word, and the way I've always seen the word used. If you are going to use a word to mean something different than its normal usage, I think it would be a good idea to make that very clear.

If your point is that we cannot be drawn to God apart from the Holy Spirit, and that the drawing itself is for the purpose of healing, and has a healing effect upon the person being drawn, I'm in complete agreement with that point. In fact, I'm so much in agreement with it (as it seems to be exactly what I've been saying) I'm curious as to what we are disagreeing about.

Let me ask the question this way. From the Ellen White quote we see the following steps:

a.The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God to everyone.
b.That love draws everyone.
c.Unless one resists, one will respond and be saved.

Two questions:
1.Do you agree that I have accurately summarized the EGW quote? Or would you suggest another way of summarizing it?
2.Is this summary how you perceive things to be working? Or is there something missing, or out of order in the explanation?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16445
08/04/06 02:25 PM
08/04/06 02:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

The drawing itself is regenerative. The carnal mind is not attracted to unselfish love. In otherwords being drawn to God is in itself a transformation that we cannot account for in our carnal state.

It appears to me that you are saying here that a person cannot be drawn without God doing something to the person first, because unless God did something to him, he wouldn't be attracted. This seems very similar to the argument Calvinists use for the "T" in "Tulip." Also the "i".

That is, the Calvinistic argument is as follows:

a.Of himself, man is totally depraved, with a will in bondage, so that he cannot respond to the grace of God. ("T" = "Total depravity")

b.God must unilaterally operate upon man in such a fashion that he is able to respond, and it is a sure thing that man will respond once God does this, because His grace is irresistable. ("I" = "Irresitable grace")

It seems to me certain that you are suggesting "a" is true. I'm not sure about b. You might be saying that God must unilaterally operate upon man in such a fashion that he is able to respond, but not that man must respond after God's unilateral action.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16446
08/04/06 02:26 PM
08/04/06 02:26 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Speaking of faith John, (btw, thanks it's good to be back) I'm suggesting that faith is a divine gift that empowers the will. It is the point of fusion between the will of man and the will of God.

I like that: It is the point of fusion between the will of man and the will of God.

The question: is faith a universal divine gift, and the misplacement of it through sin; so that salvation is to bring it back in its proper place; or is faith a selective divine gift, and only those who get it, benefit?

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16447
08/04/06 02:47 PM
08/04/06 02:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
When we speak of "faith," what are we meaning?

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16448
08/05/06 04:16 AM
08/05/06 04:16 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

When we speak of "faith," what are we meaning?

Faith is not a belief. “Faith” defines the source of our lives. So yes it is the point of fusion between the will of man and the will of God. Faith is the door by which we let God in, and keep all other out. Faith determines the source or input of our life. Faith is also the means we sever from the flesh and the old man as source.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16449
08/05/06 11:51 AM
08/05/06 11:51 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
My view of faith closely agrees with John's definition as to the *role* of faith in man. Regarding the *source* of faith, it's origin is divine. The saints have the 'faith of Jesus':

Quote:

Here is the patience of the saints: here [are] they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. Rev. 14:12

Does the text mean that the faith of the saints only immitates the faith of Christ, or does it mean that their faith proceeds directly from the ministry and priesthood of Christ in the heavenly sanctuary? It includes both, but it especially means the latter. Through the intercession of Christ grace and spiritual life is infused into our veins, His blood becomes ours, His life ours, and this alone makes it possible for us to submit our wills to God.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16450
08/05/06 02:28 PM
08/05/06 02:28 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Good points and well said Mark.

The Faith I described, is ‘faith’ as the faculty in man. Every man has this faculty. But faith as in its placement and actual allegiance has been subverted in sin. Sin placed faith in self, and thus the will became subject to self, and the concept of faith was changed to beliefs.

The ‘faith of Jesus’ is a very vital concept and the heart of the gospel. Without it there is no salvation. It is the ‘faith of Jesus’ as in him being the author and finisher of our faith. So it is not a faith of man’s concept. It is not a faith of beliefs. It is the faith by which Christ has made his Father his source. This is a spiritual battle, and it cannot be fought by imitation; it is a genuine transaction in which man is transacting and Christ is ministering his spirit of faith. It is not something done for us; it is worked in us in an active transaction. Wherever the faith of the Son of God is, there is the Father also.

Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
Rom 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him that is of the faith of Jesus.
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16451
08/05/06 02:32 PM
08/05/06 02:32 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16452
08/05/06 02:51 PM
08/05/06 02:51 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Luther, writing to Duke Charles of Savoy in about 1524, one of the most influential of the French royalty and uncle to the king of France, Francis I, describes faith in the following way:

Quote:

We believe that the commencement of religion and the sum of Christianity is faith in Christ, who by His blood alone, and not by our works, made atonement for sin and put an end to the dominion of death. We believe that this faith is a gift of God and that it is created by the Holy Ghost in our hearts and not found by our own labours. For faith is a living thing which spiritually begetteth the man and maketh him a new creature.

Further on in his letter to the duke, Luther goes on to say that a person thus regenerated will do good works as naturally as a good tree bears good fruit.

Notice though Luther's statement that faith is not 'found by our own labours'. The scripture agrees:

Quote:

1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:
1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

The above passage, in the simple eloquence of the beloved John, stikes the perfect balance. It shows that man must receive Christ, that there is a choice to be made and the will, once awakened and empowered must act. But the motive force is supplied not by the will of the flesh nor the will of man, but of God.

God draws and enlightens every man by the regeneration of the Holy Spirit. Those who respond are saved. Those who do not are what inspiration refers to as the vessels of dishonour or wrath. The election doctrine is essential to preserve the role of God in salvation. It will come to be better understood at the end by the final generation because it illuminates the central focus of the church at the end - Christ our Righteousness - and it will be instrumental in, as Ellen White puts it, 'laying the glory of man in the dust'. It will help to show that our wills are depraved and only by the regeneration of the Holy Spirit can we choose right. It is only through the election doctrine that the proper credit belonging to Christ for our salvation can be fully understood - how any why His is our rightousness.

When I was in my twenties, for a some years after my conversion in my teens, I used to say that before being converted I had made a god out of a career in business, but it wasn't too long before I was convinced that the world only had vanities to offer me even if I was fabulously successful. I blush now looking back at the explanation I used to give of my conversion because I attributed my thought process to my own rationality. What really happened was that the Holy Spirit, little by little regenerated my mind so that I became capabale of seeing the vanity of the world and eventually I yielded to Him.

Page 17 of 25 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!