HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 25 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 24 25
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16453
08/05/06 05:45 PM
08/05/06 05:45 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tom, regarding the will of man and the extent of depravity that is native to us, not having studied Calvinism, I’m not aware of what Calvinists teach regarding ‘total depravity’. I can say though that in the bible, man is depraved and not able to choose or appreciate good in his natural state. ‘The [human] heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked; who can know it.’ Jer 17:9. The answer to that last question is 'noone can know it without the regeneration of the Spirit.'

Charles Wesley who you’ve been correctly referring to as the inspiration for much of Adventist thinking on the role of the will offers the following thoughts in his well known hymn, Jesus Lover of My Soul. The third verse says:

“Just and holy is thy name,
I am all unrighteousness;
Vile and full of sin I am,
Thou art full of truth and grace.”

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16454
08/05/06 07:28 PM
08/05/06 07:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I was a Calvinist before becoming an Adventist. I learned Arminian theology from Adventistism. It's really bizarre for me to see the very things I "unlearned" being repeated.

Quote:

Those who do not are what inspiration refers to as the vessels of dishonour or wrath.

Were they vessled of dishonor or wrath before or after they refused to be drawn?

You disagree with Calvinism in that you are stating that all are drawn. Calvinists teach that only the elect are drawn, and noone can resist the drawing. You seem to be suggesting (please correct me if this is wrong) that all are drawn, but only those whom God has chosen to respond will do so.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16455
08/06/06 12:46 AM
08/06/06 12:46 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
There are probably many areas I differ with Calvinism on. Another one would be irresistible grace. If grace could not be resisted, it would not be grace, it would be force. Grace is gracious, it doesn't force.

From the writers I've read that are outside of Adventism, I'm probably closest to Luther on atonement/salvation, the will vs. the election.

To answer whether only those whom God as chosen to respond will do so, I'm saying that it is true that man's response is essential and that there is an essential role for the will. But I'm also saying that those who are finally saved at the end of their probation are in the Bible called the elect. The two ideas, the first and the second, appear to be in tension but it's our limited understanding that is the problem. One of the problems is that we place far too much confidence in what the unaided will is able to accomplish. In scripture the will can do nothing unaided. It is equally true though, the will of man must have its place in the plan of salvation. At the end of the day, the election gives God all the credit for our salvation notwithstanding our choice to respond positively.

This is likely another area I differ with Calvinism on. We don’t know who in the church is saved and unsaved, so, with few exceptions like the apostles and prophets, we don’t know who is elect. If our hearts are right with God though, we can have confidence that we are elected now. If we reject the grace of God in the future we will loose that confidence or our confidence will be replaced with presumption. That may be another departure from Calvinism. But my personal testimony is I believe that I am elected by grace and as are all believers. Still, our work is to ‘make our calling and election sure.’ So there is a clear duty that devolves on us in the plan of salvation, but all of the credit for our salvation, through the doctrine of the election returns to God.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16456
08/06/06 01:35 AM
08/06/06 01:35 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
I think the credit business falls far short of the true glory given to God by simply receiving him, the source of our lives by faith.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16457
08/06/06 02:14 AM
08/06/06 02:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Everyone agrees that those who are saved at the end are the elect. There's no disagreement on that. There's also no tension in the two factors you cited, that there is an essential role for the will, and those who choose Christ will be elect. What you are enunciating here is not Luther's position, but Arminius's.

Calvinist's teach that God predestines man on the basis of His will, not His foreknowledge. Arminianists teach that God predesinates man on the basis of his foreknowledge.

Calvinist's teach that saving grace is given only to the elect. Only the elect have either the ability or the desire to be saved. Arminianists teach that saving grace has been given to all men, so that all have the ability to be saved, if they so choose.

Calvinist's teach that the free will gospel is false; that is, they are opposed to the idea that our free will play any part whatsoever in our salvation. If it did, then salvation would not be 100% a free gift of God, from grace. Arminianists teach that the gift has been given to all men, but that one must choose to accept the gift in order to be saved.

Here are some questions which may help to define things:

1.On what basis does God predestinate the elect?
2.How many does God predestinate to be elect?
3.How do the elect become elect?
4.Does God choose some to be saved and others to be lost, on some other basis than their decision to respond to the Gospel?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16458
08/06/06 10:33 AM
08/06/06 10:33 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia

The way to heaven.

To be in heaven some one needs to have an unselfish heart, which is his fitness for heaven. He needs to have a pure heart, free of self seeking, to see God and live with Him through eternity.

To have an unselfish heart some one needs to live in self denial under the leading of the Spirit.

To deny self some one needs a new heart, a new unselfish heart in exchange of his self seeking heart.

To receive a new unselfish heart some one needs to be converted first through baptism.

To be converted some one needs to repent from his sinful way.

To repent some one needs Jesus.

To need Jesus some one needs to put his faith in Christ.

To have faith in Christ some one needs to hear the Gospel first, understand it and accept it.

In all of these process what is our part?

None? Then we are saved because God did it for us (elected). Take it easy man, do what you will, because it is God who decide you to be saved or to be lost. Don’t bother about your life style, if you are elected, you will become good and righteous one day.

If there is any, then it depends to us, not dependent on God’s election.

In His love

James S.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16459
08/06/06 11:08 AM
08/06/06 11:08 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tom wrote:
Quote:

There's also no tension in the two factors you cited, that there is an essential role for the will, and those who choose Christ will be elect. What you are enunciating here is not Luther's position, but Arminius's.

I'm saying the election is according to the will of God, not the foreknowledge of God. That is where the tension is. The will of God and the will of man appear to be in tension largely because of our incorrect view of the role of man's will.

James, have another look at what I said regarding the role of the will. The role of the will is not as much the determining factor in salvation as most Adventists think, but notice that I've said it is still essential; that we have to make our calling and election sure. Grace is the determining factor. It arouses us to our need and empowers us to repond. The will is required to act at this point but it can only do so with the ongoing transformation and aid of the Holy Spirit. Again, the first part of John 1 strikes the perfect balance. The new birth is not according to the will of the flesh or the will of man, but by the will of God.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16460
08/06/06 04:37 PM
08/06/06 04:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

I'm saying the election is according to the will of God, not the foreknowledge of God. That is where the tension is. The will of God and the will of man appear to be in tension largely because of our incorrect view of the role of man's will.

To assert that election is on the basis of God's will, if it is assumed that this includes specific individuals and excludes other, without reference to the individuals choice, is Calvinistic rather than Arminianistic. Classical Arminianism asserts God predestines on the basis of foreknowledge. Adventism asserts something different, which I'll get to in a moment.

Quote:

Luther believed and taught that God does indeed predestine some to eternal salvation, but denied that God predestined any to eternal damnation. (http://experts.about.com/q/Lutherans-956/Predestination.htm)

Lutherans believe in single predestination. Calvin argued that it was illogical to assert that God predestines some to be saved but does not predestine the others to be lost, because logically if you can be saved only if God predestines you, it follows that you must be lost if God doesn't, which is equivalent to God's predestining you to be lost. Lutherans argue that there position may not be logical, but it is Biblical.

Quote:

However some of our beliefs are not shared by all Christians. For example we believe that God has given us free will - we don’t accept predestination.(http://www.adventistinfo.org.uk/about/fundamen.php)

This is using the word "predestination" according to the meaning "single predestination" or "double predestination."

A common idea within Adventism is that all men are predestined in Christ to salvation. Waggoner expresses the view here:

That is God's purpose and foreordination concerning man. Still further, "whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son." Whom did He foreknow?-- There can be no limit; He must have foreknown all. If there were any exception, then God would not be infinite in knowledge. If He foreknows one person, then He foreknows every person. There has not been a person born into the world whose birth God did not foreknow.

"Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight; but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do." Therefore, since every person has been known to God, even before the foundation of the world, and those whom He foreknew He predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, it follows that God has purposed salvation for every soul that has ever come into the world. His love embraces all, without respect of persons.

"Then everybody will be saved, no matter what he does," some will say. Not by all means. Remember that the purpose of God is in Christ. It is only in Him that we are predestined. And we are free to choose for ourselves whether we will accept Him or not.

Man's will has been forever set free, and God Himself will not presume to interfere with it. He holds the choice and will of each individual sacred. He will not carry out His own purpose contrary to man's will. His will is to give man whatever man decides will best please him. So He sets before man life and death, good and evil, and tells him to choose which he will have.

God knows what is best, and has chosen and prepared that for man. He has gone so far as to fix it beyond all possibility of failure, so that man shall have that good thing if he chooses it. But the wonderful kindness and courteousness of the great God is seen in this, that He defers in everything to man's wishes. If man, in his turn, will but defer to God's wishes, there will be the most delightful and loving companionship between them.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16461
08/06/06 04:39 PM
08/06/06 04:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

It arouses us to our need and empowers us to repond. The will is required to act at this point but it can only do so with the ongoing transformation and aid of the Holy Spirit.

I don't know any Adventists that disagree with this.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16462
08/06/06 11:06 PM
08/06/06 11:06 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tom you quoted me and wrote:
Quote:

"It arouses us to our need and empowers us to respond. The will is required to act at this point but it can only do so with the ongoing transformation and aid of the Holy Spirit."

I don't know any Adventists that disagree with this.

That statement of mine was in the context of the main idea I’m presenting – the human will is depraved. I wish that most Adventists saw that our wills are depraved, but it doesn’t appear to be that way.

In the post just before you quoted Waggoner:

Quote:

Man's will has been forever set free, and God Himself will not presume to interfere with it. He holds the choice and will of each individual sacred. He will not carry out His own purpose contrary to man's will. His will is to give man whatever man decides will best please him. So He sets before man life and death, good and evil, and tells him to choose which he will have.

In the same post you quoted someone from the UK who was writing about our fundamental beliefs saying that man’s will is free. Luther is right. There is no such thing in scripture as free will. We have choices to make, but no free will to make them. That is quite an overstatement by Waggoner – man’s will forever set free. Our will’s are in bondage and only can be used to submit ourselves to God when empowered by Him. Waggoner had a lot of good things to say about the human nature of Christ, the role of the law, and some of his material on justification, but as with all authors, we have to compare his work carefully with scripture. I'm actually quite surprised he would say something like that. It indicates to me that he may have taken the idea of corporate justification to mean that not only all men have been pardoned, but all men have been in some way rennovated by the death of Christ.

Page 18 of 25 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!