HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 25 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 24 25
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16463
08/06/06 11:38 PM
08/06/06 11:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Our wills *were* in bondage, until Christ set them free. Christ has made it possible for men to respond to the Gospel.

Adventists do not have Luther's idea of the bondage of the will, but agree that apart from divine aid it would not be possible for a man to respond to the Gospel. However, God gives that aid to everyone.

Ellen White expresses the Adventist idea throughout her writings. Here's one place I've cited a number of times in this thread:

None will ever come to Christ, save those who respond to the drawing of the Father's love. But God is drawing all hearts unto Him, and only those who resist His drawing will refuse to come to Christ. (DA 387)

The will has been set free to the point where anyone is free to respond to the drawing of Christ, who said "if I be lifted up, I will draw all unto me." Regarding this, EGW writes the following:

The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. (DA 176)

This idea is entirely Biblical. Paul tells us that the goodness of God leads us to repentance. Jesus said, whosoever will, may come.

Luther had many great things to say, but Adventists have never accepted his ideas on predestination.

Later on I may present some other pioneers' thoughts on predesitination.

The idea that there is no such thing in Scripture as free will is completely opposed to what Adventists have taught, since at least the 1850's. I'll see if I can find some material on that as well.

An interesting line of discussion is what difference it makes to the rest of our theology. That is, what are the implications if we hold to the idea that there is no such thing in Scripture as free will.

Sounds like a good topic.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16464
08/07/06 02:21 AM
08/07/06 02:21 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote.
Our wills *were* in bondage, until Christ set them free. Christ has made it possible for men to respond to the Gospel.
Unquote.

When this happened, the setting free of our will from bondage?

Quote.
None will ever come to Christ, save those who respond to the drawing of the Father's love. But God is drawing all hearts unto Him, and only those who resist His drawing will refuse to come to Christ. (DA 387).
Unquote.

When does it happen, God draws us to Christ?

Quote.
The idea that there is no such thing in Scripture as free will is completely opposed to what Adventists have taught, since at least the 1850's. I'll see if I can find some material on that as well.
Unquote.

I read:
If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh), dwelleth no good thing; for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. Romans 7:16-18.

I see that according to Paul, we do have a free will, but our will is in bondage.

Which will was in bondage? Our original will that was created in us, the will to always respond to the will of God.
Which will is running free? The will to serve sin, the sin that is in our veins and flesh.
Do we have two “wills” in us?
Yes, our own will and the will of the Spirit. The fight within us is the fight between the will of the Spirit and our will to serve sin, but deep within us, our original will correspond to the will of the Spirit and get stronger till the day it is set free, where the will to serve sin vanish from our hearts. From then on, there is only our will to serve God, strengthen by the Spirit till the conversion of the body at the day Christ returns to earth.

The will to serve sin vanish from our heart but settles in our veins and flesh and remain there till Christ’ come, giving its signals from time to time to the brain. Therefore Paul said: So then, I my self in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. Romans 7:25.

Only at the time of His returns, we would be sets free from the enslavement of sin in our sinful nature because we shall be changed, in a twinkling of an eye, we shall be change to a glorious body, without sin in it.

In is love

James S,

Last edited by James Saptenno; 08/07/06 02:23 AM.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16465
08/07/06 02:41 AM
08/07/06 02:41 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
…for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

This is the true situation. The will is free and can choose either way; but how to perform that which is good is not in us.

It is like a child who says I want to be a doctor; and then thinking that because it wants to be a doctor, that therefore if it has a free will it should be able to be a doctor right there and then. Does that make sense? Is it not in bondage to ignorance? It’s free will cannot make it a doctor. Why? So what does one have to do to become a doctor?

Likewise with salvation; we can choose the Lord, but we have to come to grips with our reality; that all we know is how to do evil, and how to do good we find not. What is needed?

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16466
08/07/06 03:30 AM
08/07/06 03:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree with John; we have free will, but our will needs to be united to God's will for us to how power to do.

We have free will to choose to respond to the Gospel. If we respond, then we are born again and receive power to do.

As to when our will was freed, it was when the plan of salvation was implemented. Had God not acted, man would have been lost, but God did act, supernatually implanting enmity between the seed of the woman and the serpent.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16467
08/07/06 11:55 AM
08/07/06 11:55 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
The enmity that God promised is found in the human conscience that God enlightens, not in the will. Christ, through our conscience enlightens every man that comes into the world right from the time of birth. So, we know to some extent what is right and what is wrong, but the will is powerless to obey. The law further enlightens the conscience but makes our state all the more desparate until we understand that 'without me, ye can do nothing.' As Jones and Waggoner say, the law is the schoolmaster leading us to Christ.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16468
08/07/06 12:36 PM
08/07/06 12:36 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote.
…for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

This is the true situation. The will is free and can choose either way; but how to perform that which is good is not in us.
Unquote.

Your explanation is well understood, even though your illustration of a child is not good enough.

Now imagine the reality, I want to serve God, I want to live for God, but I keep doing things to satisfy the flesh, I still live for self no matter how great is the urge to live for God. Why it won’t work? What is wrong with me?

I have chosen to live for God, I have chosen to live with faith and do his commands, but I keep doing evil. What is wrong with me?

The will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good I find not. Why?

Because I am a slave to sin which is in my member, how could a slave do what he wants except only doing what his master told him, right? A slave has no free will, he might choose anything he wants, but he could not perform the things he wants to do as what he could do and allowed to do is just doing things his master told him.

And sin is my master, I am self centered, it is my nature.

I have a free will choice but could not perform the thing which is against my master, my nature! I am free to choose what I like but could not do what I want to do when it is against my master wishes, because I am a slave to sin, I am enforced to do what my master wish, I only could do what sin in my members told me to do. So, the will is present but it is in bondage, it is tied up, could not perform what it wants to do when it is against the master wishes.

I think; when we live for self, we have no free will, but when we live for God we do have a free will. In other word, when sin is my master I have no free will, but when God is my master, I do have a free will. When I am a slave to sin, I have no free will, but when I am a son of God, I do have a free will.
The question is, when does the change happen, from a slave of sin we become son of God? Who changed us? If God did change us, is personal salvation then not predestined?

In His love

James S

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16469
08/07/06 01:36 PM
08/07/06 01:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the situation you brought up, James, here's a nice thing from Steps to Christ:

Many are inquiring, "How am I to make the surrender of myself to God?" You desire to give yourself to Him, but you are weak in moral power, in slavery to doubt, and controlled by the habits of your life of sin. Your promises and resolutions are like ropes of sand. You cannot control your thoughts, your impulses, your affections. The knowledge of your broken promises and forfeited pledges weakens your confidence in your own sincerity, and causes you to feel that God cannot accept you; but you need not despair. What you need to understand is the true force of the will. This is the governing power in the nature of man, the power of decision, or of choice. Everything depends on the right action of the will. The power of choice God has given to men; it is theirs to exercise. You cannot change your heart, you cannot of yourself give to God its affections; but you can choose to serve Him. You can give Him your will; He will then work in you to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Thus your whole nature will be brought under the control of the Spirit of Christ; your affections will be centered upon Him, your thoughts will be in harmony with Him.(SC 47)

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16470
08/07/06 01:42 PM
08/07/06 01:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The SC quote applies to your comments as well Mark. In our own strength we are powerless to control our thoughts and affections. Of ourselves we cannot change our heart, or give its affections to God, but God has given us the power of choice, and we can choose to give Him our will. When we do this, God gives us the power to do that which we choose to do.

What we need to understand, as she puts it, is the true force of the will.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16471
08/07/06 05:26 PM
08/07/06 05:26 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

but the will is powerless to obey.

Now, this is an interesting thought!

I have never thought about it in this way, but when I think back over 30 years ago, I can see how that is actually the idea that religion gives. It is a very interesting point.

People try to obey in or with their will. That is impossible. The will was never designed to obey. It has no such function. The will is the supreme ruler in man; it does not obey anyone. So it is impossible to obey in or with our will. God never ever expected or expects us to do so. He did not create us to do so. The will has a much higher and nobler position.

To attempt to cause someone’s will to obey would be to break the will and kill the spirit. To attempt to cause our own will to obey is but a futile effort, and would only make us a hypocrite.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16472
08/07/06 05:29 PM
08/07/06 05:29 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Your explanation is well understood, even though your illustration of a child is not good enough.

Admittedly it is rather simplified, but for that very purpose that we may grasp that one thought. Whether child or adult, if we want to be something (even in the things of this world) which we are not, we cannot just by willing it so, become what we are not. We need to consider the cost and take effort and be willing to go through what it takes to become that which we want to be.

Quote:

Now imagine the reality,…I have chosen to live for God, I have chosen to live with faith and do his commands, but I keep doing evil. What is wrong with me? The will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good I find not. Why?

The problem is “I” don’t have the tools of the trade, the skill needed, or the knowledge. “I” am as a customer, not as the tradesman. People want to be the tradesman without ever availing themselves of what it takes to be one. So all we end up being is a judge, a critic, demanding, and fault-finding without ever being able to do the good, ourselves.

Page 19 of 25 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!