HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16493
09/10/06 12:31 PM
09/10/06 12:31 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
You're partly right regarding the reformers view of the work of Christ in the heavenly sanctuary. They did not have the understanding that we do regarding the immutable nature of the law, and yet they did look to Christ there for all their strength and grace to keep the law as they understood it. And by all accounts they were often more faithful to the truth than Adventists have been to the increased light that we have. Waggoner lost his way and his ministry became ineffective. One of the reasons for his personal tragidy is no doubt a skewed view of the character of God that began in failing to yield in some point to the Holy Spirit and that eventually crippled his theology. The very points that you seize on are the symptoms of his trouble.

Isn't it true that all those who go astray do so blindly. Those who presecute the saints do it as a service to God. But they could have known better if they had permitted themselves to be enlightened.

Because the reformers were not convicted on the Sabbath, does it follow that they were in error on predestination? Not at all. The Sabbath is another progressive truth that many will accept once they are ready for it. Does that bar them from accepting more advanced truth than we might have? No. Not if they follow the light that they do have. And the Sabbath is no barrier to accepting gross error when it is only kept as a form. The Jews who crucified Christ were in gross error on many points and while they clung to the outward froms of the law.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16494
09/10/06 02:49 PM
09/10/06 02:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

One of the reasons for his personal tragidy is no doubt a skewed view of the character of God that began in failing to yield in some point to the Holy Spirit and that eventually crippled his theology. The very points that you seize on are the symptoms of his trouble.

Here's a comment from the Spirit of Prophecy on this point:

It is quite possible that Elder Jones or Elder Waggoner may be overthrown by the temptations of the enemy; but if they should be, this would not prove that they had had no message from God, or that the work that they had done was all a mistake. But should this happen, how many would take this position, and enter into a fatal delusion because they are not under the control of the Spirit of God.(1888 Mat. 143)

Let's be careful not to enter in a fatal delusion! There was nothing wrong with the message, and it would be a "fatal delusion" to thus conclude, and indicate our not being under the control of the Spirit of God.

Over a thousand times she states that they had a message of God, and not even once does she cast doubt on that message.

Waggoner and Jones had to confront something that noone else ever had to. They knew, from the endorsements of the Spirit of Prophecy, that they were presenting a message from God, the beginning of the latter rain and loud cry of the third angel's message, as she referred to it, to the last church. And yet they were met with such a spirit of unChristlike persecution that EGW could only compare to the Jews. She said that had Christ been physically present, they would have treated Him as the Jews did. (i.e., they would have crucified Him).

Shortly after the 1888 General Conference session, Jones, Waggoner and EGW preached together, to great effect at revivals. The impact of Jones and Waggoner's message is quite evident in EGW's writings during this time. But the brethren sent EGW to Australia, which she saw no light in, and sent Waggoner to England. They did all they could to fight against the message, and succeeded in delaying Christ's coming who knows how long.

An unwillingness to yield up preconceived opinions, and to accept this truth, lay at the foundation of a large share of the opposition manifested at Minneapolis against the Lord's message through Brethren {E.J.} Waggoner and {A.T.} Jones. By exciting that opposition Satan succeeded in shutting away from our people, in a great measure, the special power of the Holy Spirit that God longed to impart to them. The enemy prevented them from obtaining that efficiency which might have been theirs in carrying the truth to the world, as the apostles proclaimed it after the day of Pentecost. The light that is to lighten the whole earth with its glory was resisted, and by the action of our own brethren has been in a great degree kept away from the world. (1SM 234, 235)

However, there is a silver lining to the cloud. We note that she wrote "the light that is to lighten the whole earth with its glory," which indicates that there will come a time when the message they brought is received and taken to the world.

May that time come soon!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16495
09/10/06 02:53 PM
09/10/06 02:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark, regarding predestination, I'm not quite sure what your position is. Is it the same as Luther's? Assuming it is, do you realize that this position is contrary to what every SDA taught in the 19th century?

In the twentieth I have come across a few who hold to the Reformationist ideas on predestination, but those who I have met recognize that their views do not agree with Ellen White's views, and set her aside. I have never met anyone who holds to the Reformationist views of predesitination and simultaneously accepted Ellen White's views, since they are so clearly contrary the one to the other.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16496
09/10/06 02:57 PM
09/10/06 02:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is from Waggoner, "The Everlasting Covenant"

In this covenant, securing to Christ the "travail of his soul" (Isa.53:11), lies the predestination and foreordination of the Scriptures, so troublesome to many. It is simply the "election of grace," not of any particular individuals, singled out and made sure of heaven, independent of their own wills, free choice, or mode of action, but only of those who are willing to receive Christ as their Saviour, and do his will. "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God." John 1:12. Those whom the Father hath given him are the elect; and all are given to him, who make it their will to accept him; and of these he will lose none, but raise them up at the last day. John 6:39,40.

When the plan of salvation had been formed, and Christ had elected to give his life for the redemption of men, he was then, already, in the intent and purpose of that plan, the offered victim, and is spoken of as the "Lamb slain" - "slain from the foundation of the world" (kosmos), or from the time when the redemptive economy was established. Rev.13:8. It will be noticed that he is not said to have been slain before the foundation of the world, implying that the fall of man and redemption by the death of Christ, were events fixed and foreordained before the world was formed, and man created. This would place too powerful a weapon against the divine government, in the hands of the skeptic.

But the disbeliever asks with an air of expected victory, Did not God foreknow that man would sin? Was it not therefore a settled fact that he would sin? And did not God, therefore, when he made man with that certainty before him, become responsible for the entrance of sin into this world? - So it might look from that point of view, and with that method of reasoning. But as the Scriptures do not so express it, it is not necessary to formulate it to such a conclusion.

God made man, as he must make all intelligences who are to serve him, a free moral agent, that such service may not be mechanical and constrained, but voluntary and free. As such, he could obey or disobey; could maintain his rectitude or fall into sin. His course was to be determined by his own choice. God did not force him to sin, nor did he intend that he should sin. On the other hand, he made every possible inducement (short of constraining his free will) to keep him in the path of obedience. Being free, of course God knew that he might sin; but this would be a very different thing from saying that he know that he would sin.(end quote)

This is just what I've shared so many times. God knew of the possibility of sin, which is inevitable because of free will. God predestinates individuals in Christ to be saved, but they can use their free will to choose to be lost.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16497
09/11/06 09:34 PM
09/11/06 09:34 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tom, it is an equally fatal delusion to seize on the errors of Waggoner and promote them as new light. I accept the main part of their message that Ellen White endorsed. But clearly neither their message nor their experience was error free. You mainly promote the errors found in Waggoner's message. One of the reasons Ellen White warned that they might be overthrown is she saw that they already endorsed some error and also she very likely detected that they were not meeting some of their trials as good soldiers in the cause of Christ. Error in theology has its root in both preconceived opinion and in a false religious experience. If we don't meet our trials in the strength of Christ our theology ultimately becomes skewed.

Regarding Ellen White's theology on predestination and free will I've given evidence of her position in prior posts. She definitely is similar if not identical to Luther on the role of free will. And that view is foundational to the election doctrine.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16498
09/11/06 11:13 PM
09/11/06 11:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark, what of their message do you accept? Could you quote something specific from Waggoner or Jones? I'd be interested in seeing this. You say you accept the "main part". Would that include elements which they characterize as essential to salvation?

I'm not aware of any error in Waggoner or Jones' message, during the time EGW endorsed them, except for the error that Ellen White corrected Waggoner on, which was that Jesus couldn't sin because He had perfect faith. What error were you thinking of? I assume you would agree with me that any errors they may have had must have been very minor, or Ellen White, who endorsed them over 1,000 times, surely would have warned us about it, right?

Quote:

One of the reasons Ellen White warned that they might be overthrown is she saw that they already endorsed some error and also she very likely detected that they were not meeting some of their trials as good soldiers in the cause of Christ.

You just made this up, right? You don't have any evidence of this, do you? I'd be interested in seeing any statement from the Spirit of Prophecy suggesting that they might be overthrown because they already endorsed some error. I've read the 2,000 pages released by the Ellen White estate on this subject, and don't ever recall reading anything like this.

You think Ellen White is similar or identical to Luther on free will? That's interesting. I don't recall any evidence you posted suggesting this. I recall you're saying there is not such thing as free will, which is certainly contrary to what Ellen White taught. Perhaps you could indicate the number of the post you had in mind. I'd be very interested in seeing such evidence as I've read quite a lot of her writings, and a fair amount of Luther as well, and don't recall their positions being identical. I find her position to be pretty much identical to Wesley's, not Luther's.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16499
09/12/06 02:30 AM
09/12/06 02:30 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tom, I did post on some of Ellen White's statements on free will. You'll have to look for those posts. I'm sorry I don't have time to look them up again.

Here is what the German reformers through Philip Melancthon said regarding free will in the famous Augsburg Confession almost 500 years ago.

Article 18: Free Will

"Of Free Will they teach that man's will has some liberty to choose civil righteousness, and to work things subject to reason. But it has no power, without the Holy Ghost, to work the righteousness of God, that is, spiritual righteousness; since the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God, 1 Cor. 2,14; but this righteousness is wrought in the heart when the Holy Ghost is received through the Word. These things are said in as many words by Augustine in his Hypognosticon, Book III: We grant that all men have a free will, free, inasmuch as it has the judgment of reason; not that it is thereby capable, without God, either to begin, or, at least, to complete aught in things pertaining to God, but only in works of this life, whether good or evil. "Good" I call those works which spring from the good in nature, such as, willing to labor in the field, to eat and drink, to have a friend, to clothe oneself, to build a house, to marry a wife, to raise cattle, to learn divers useful arts, or whatsoever good pertains to this life. For all of these things are not without dependence on the providence of God; yea, of Him and through Him they are and have their being. "Evil" I call such works as willing to worship an idol, to commit murder, etc.

They condemn the Pelagians and others, who teach that without the Holy Ghost, by the power of nature alone, we are able to love God above all things; also to do the commandments of God as touching "the substance of the act." For, although nature is able in a manner to do the outward work, (for it is able to keep the hands from theft and murder,) yet it cannot produce the inward motions, such as the fear of God, trust in God, chastity, patience, etc. "

I looked through the confession quickly and I didn't see any direct reference to the election, which is a good indicator that the reformers did not view the doctrine as essential. But it would be interesting to do a survey of the reformers from Luther for the first 100 years of the reformation. My impression is that they were quite united on the election doctrine. What seems to have happened since that time is that as the protestant church wained in spirituality it lost its hold on some important truths and human reason, which was also the downfall of the early church, came in to make false contrasts. This is similar to your approach Tom in focusing on one aspect of salvation, the relational, to the exclusion of the legal issue. In scripture both exist in harmony and both are aspects of our salvation. In the same way, the election doctine does not exclude free will (as the Bible teaches free will) and as set out in the Augsburg Confession. And free will does not do violence to the election.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16500
09/12/06 04:31 AM
09/12/06 04:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
What we're dealing with is compatibilistic and imcompatibilistic or libertarian free will. The reformers, taking after Augustine, were compatibilitistic, whereas Arminius, and those who followed after the Arminian tradition are libertarian.

There is a whole structure of beliefs which follow from whether one takes a deterministic (i.e. compatibilistic) or libertarian point of view. This impacts how one views election, predestination, and free will. Adventists have always been libertarian on these views!

It shows great confusion to mix Ellen White's views on these points with Luther. They really don't have anything to do with one another. Luther often writes that there is no such thing as free will; that no being has free will, except God. This is in agreement with Augustine's teachings, but has nothing to do with Ellen White's view, or any other Adventist of the 19th century. This idea is simply foreign to Adventism, until the second half of the twentieth century.

Here's just one simple example of this:

To-day Christ is inviting us, "Come unto me, . . . and I will give you rest." He waits to raise to newness of life those who are dead in trespasses and sins. But he uses no compulsion. He employs no external force. We are left free to act as we choose. If we turn from disloyalty, and place ourselves under the banner of Christ, it is because that of our own free will we choose to do this. (YI 9/20/00)

Ellen White understood that even the unconverted have free will.

Now this does not mean that someone can become converted without God's involvement. Of course not! But God's action is not unilateral, and that's the key point. Ellen White, and all SDA's who were her contemporaries, emphasized the exercising of one's free will in salvation. This is in complete contrast to Luther who emphasized the opposite! Luther stated there was no free will (which you also have stated), and that salvation must be a unlateral decision on the part of God.

Either we have free will or we don't. Either Luther was right, or Ellen White, but not both.

I'll end with the following:

THAT the Bible teaches predestination, is true; that it teaches what modern theology defines the term to mean, we think is not true. As set forth in the Scriptures, it is a doctrine full of comfort and consolation; as taught in the creeds, it is full of spiritual paralysis and despair. In the Scriptures, it is the assurance of salvation so long as we maintain a certain relation to God; in theology, it is a relation determined for us independently of our own will, and a fixed destiny to a life which we cannot lose, or a death, which we cannot avert. Webster defines the word "predestination" in its theological acceptation to mean. "The purpose of God from eternity respecting all events; often the pre-assignment or allotment of men to everlasting happiness or misery."

The tendency of this latter doctrine must be at once apparent. It leads the individual to throw off all responsibility, and intermit all efforts for himself. He says, If my destiny has been fixed from all eternity by an irreversible decree, I might as well resign myself to my fate, and let the current take me where it has been predetermined that it shall take me: if I am to be saved, I shall be saved, and no one can prevent it; if I am to be lost, I cannot avoid it.

It is impossible to arouse such a soul to repentance. The answer comes, If I am to repent, God will make me repent when the time comes; and I need not concern myself about it. Such an one cannot be induced to heed the divine injunction to flee from the wrath to come; for he says, If I am appointed to that wrath, flee as I will, I cannot avoid it; and if not, then for me there is no wrath to come.

I'm not positive who wrote this, but pretty sure it was Uriah Smith. It's a typical 19th century SDA statement on predestination.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16501
09/12/06 11:15 AM
09/12/06 11:15 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
What do you find wrong with Article 18 on free will? I'll repeat that Ellen White's view of free will agrees with this statement. Can you provide any scripture or statements from her that disagree? Did you review the statements I provided Tom? We need to look carefully at this pivitol document which, along with the Marburg declaration are the the first two public confessions of faith of Protestantism. As far as I know, all of the European Protestants were in agreement with it at the time, including the Swiss who also sent representatives to Augsburg.

Does anyone know what the English reformers believed - Wycliffe, Tyndale, Coverdale, Barnes, Latimer, Knox etc. I've heard Knox was Calvinist, but I'm not aware of the rest.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16502
09/12/06 11:57 AM
09/12/06 11:57 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
To clarify, I said recently that the election doctrine and the doctrine of free will were initially viewed by the Protestant reformers as being in harmony with each other. I suggested that the increasing tension between the two was a result of backsliding in Protestantism. I just want to clarify that it appears to have occurred in both branches of Protestantism. Those who took the Calvinist path also lost the harmony that the initial reformed church understood.

There is a balance that needs to be struck. Today, on one hand the liberal branch of Protestantism is ready to accept all interpretations of scripture as valid and to acknowledge other 'holy' writings outside of scripture as well. These churches are no longer Protestant. On the other, there are many who take the scripture only but then futher narrow that to texts that will agree with their view. We need the whole of scripture including and especially the parts we don't understand well.

Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!