HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 29 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 28 29
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: James Peterson] #165280
05/21/14 10:09 PM
05/21/14 10:09 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
You are unduly obsessed with the letter of the Decalogue. When the lawyer asked him which was THE GREAT commandment in the Law, Jesus did not quote the Decalogue, nor did he point to it. He said rather, "YOU SHALL LOVE,"

This is interesting, because when the rich young ruler asked Him, "Good Master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?" Jesus answered, "But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments." "He said to Him, Which? Jesus said, You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not bear false witness, honor your father and mother, and, you shall love your neighbor as yourself."
So here He quoted the Decalogue and pointed to it. What do you say about this?

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: James Peterson] #165281
05/21/14 10:20 PM
05/21/14 10:20 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
In the passages that you quoted, we are being assured of the things God has promised. That has nothing to do with having reneged, but with making the promise (hence the reference to God not lying).

Either you didn't read the passage or you didn't pay attention to it.
Num 23:19 God is not a man that He should lie, neither the son of man that He should repent. Has He said, and shall He not do it? Or has He spoken, and shall He not make it good?
The text is clear: God doesn't lie; if He said, He will do it; if He has spoken, He will make it good. Which means that in case He didn't do it after He had said it, in case He didn't make it good, He would have lied.
Any unbiased person would see this.
I suppose that in your opinion Ananias and Sapphira didn't lie when they failed to fulfill their promise. However the Bible says otherwise. Just read Acts 5.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: Green Cochoa] #165282
05/21/14 10:37 PM
05/21/14 10:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I have, personally, seen a number of errors in Thayer's perspective, and I don't put much trust in his commentary.

But who is speaking about commentaries here? Friends, I'm simply speaking about Greek grammar; I'm simply speaking about a lexicon, which is a kind of Greek-English dictionary; I'm speaking about the meaning of a word.
If Webster was a catholic, a protestant, a buddhist, or an atheist, would there be any reason for not trusting his dictionary because of his profession?
And how could Thayer or anyone else have read about the Sabbath in a newspaper? Please, remember that the Advent Movement had nothing to do with the Sabbath. The Sabbath truth was discovered some years later.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: Rosangela] #165293
05/22/14 05:50 AM
05/22/14 05:50 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
And how could Thayer or anyone else have read about the Sabbath in a newspaper? Please, remember that the Advent Movement had nothing to do with the Sabbath. The Sabbath truth was discovered some years later.

Rosangela,

Perhaps you are not as aware of the religious background of the "secular" world in the United States. Newspapers and other public magazines and journals do often touch on religious topics, especially when they are considered newsworthy. Harold Camping, televangelists, Ben Carson, and many others are modern examples of religious persons who have appeared in the news for legitimate and religious reasons. But in the days of Mrs. White, William Miller, Josiah Litch, the National Religious Liberty Association (founded around 1893 by Seventh-day Adventists) and Mrs. White herself were all subjects for the newspapers.

Originally Posted By: EGW CD
THE NAME OF MRS. ELLEN G. WHITE IS WIDELY KNOWN IN CONSEQUENCE OF HER WRITINGS AND HER PUBLIC LABORS AS A SPEAKER IN NINETEEN OF THE STATES AND IN THE CANADAS. HER BOOKS IN PRINT AMOUNT TO ABOUT FOUR THOUSAND PAGES WHICH HAVE HAD AN EXTENSIVE CIRCULATION. AND HER LABORS AS A SPEAKER COVER A PERIOD OF MORE THAN THIRTY YEARS. BUT IN THE LAST TEN YEARS THE PROVIDENCE OF GOD, IN HARMONY WITH THE WISHES OF THE PEOPLE WITH WHOM SHE HAS BEEN CONNECTED, HAS MOVED HER OUT TO SPEAK TO THE CROWDS AT OUR ANNUAL CONFERENCES AND CAMP-MEETINGS IN THE SEVERAL STATES WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN HELD. NEWSPAPER REPORTERS HAVE GIVEN SKETCHES OF HER ADDRESSES, AND HAVE MADE STATEMENTS OF THEIR EFFECTS UPON AUDIENCES WHICH HAVE GIVEN HER PROMINENCE IN THE MINDS OF THOUSANDS WHO HAVE NEITHER READ HER BOOKS NOR HEARD HER SPEAK. AND THE FACT WHICH IS MADE PROMINENT IN HER BOOKS THAT MRS. WHITE HAS RECEIVED THE SENTIMENTS SHE HAS TAUGHT BY DIRECT REVELATION FROM GOD, HAS MADE HER A PERSON OF PECULIAR INTEREST TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE RECEIVED HER AS ONE THUS FAVORED OF THE LORD. AND, ON THE OTHER HAND, PERSONS HAVE NOT BEEN WANTING AMONG THOSE WHO REJECT HER TESTIMONY AND HER WORK, TO MENTION HER NAME UNFAVORABLY THROUGH THE PRESS, AND IN THE SPIRIT OF PERSECUTION SEEK TO EXCITE PREJUDICE AGAINST HER. THIS, HOWEVER, HAS SERVED AS AN ADVERTISEMENT, AND HAS GREATLY INCREASED THE DESIRE OF THE PEOPLE TO HEAR HER SPEAK, AND TO READ HER BOOKS. {ST, January 6, 1876 par. 1}

It is certain that the fact of Mrs. White's church affiliation would have been included in the newspaper articles about her which also presented her views; so, if for no other reason, the name "Seventh-day Adventist" would have brought the Sabbath question to the minds of the public who were reading the newspaper.

Remember, this was in 1876 when the above quote was published--well after the "Seventh-day Adventist" church had officially formed (this church name appears as early as 1864 in Mrs. White's writings).

As for Thayer, anyone can read about him in an encyclopedia or online. The following, published online via Wikipedia, is said to contain material from Encyclopædia Britannica, 1911.

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Joseph Henry Thayer (November 7, 1828—November 26, 1901), US biblical scholar, was born in Boston, Massachusetts.

He studied at the Boston Latin School, and graduated from Harvard in 1850. Subsequently he studied theology at the Harvard Divinity School, and graduated from Andover Theological Seminary in 1857.

He served as a minister in Quincy, in 1859–64 in Salem, Massachusetts, and in 1862–63 was chaplain of the 40th Massachusetts Volunteers during the US Civil War. He was professor of sacred literature at Andover Seminary in 1864–82, and in 1884 succeeded Ezra Abbot as Bussey professor of New Testament criticism in the Harvard Divinity School. He died soon after his resignation from the Bussey professorship.

Beginning in 1870, Thayer was a member of the American Bible Revision Committee and recording secretary of the New Testament company (working on the Revised Version). Thayer's chief works were his translation of Grimm's Wilke's Clavis Novi Testamenti (1886; revised 1889) as A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, and his New Testament Bibliography (1890). Thayer spent 25 years working on his Lexicon, and made thousands of revisions from Grimm's Wilke's Clavis.
In February 1891 Thayer published a lecture in which he expressed disagreement with the position of Biblical inerrancy, asserting that his own acceptance of various errors of history and science in the Bible did not materially detract from his belief in the overall soundness of Christianity.

Notice the dates in the above. Thayer would have been exposed to the Sabbath truth before he finished his Greek lexicon. Also, I wonder if you realize that Mrs. White was given the Sabbath truth, in vision, in 1848. Adventists began keeping the Sabbath over 15 years before the Seventh-day Adventist church officially formed.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165294
05/22/14 11:35 AM
05/22/14 11:35 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Arnold,

I just saw your response to me in post #165265. I would go on Mrs. White more than those other authors. She said that Luther had not discovered the truth of the Sabbath. I suppose being exposed to it and realizing the truth of it might be separate things. In any case, he did not "discover" the Sabbath.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Luther and his co-laborers accomplished a noble work for God; but, coming as they did from the Roman Church, having themselves believed and advocated her doctrines, it was not to be expected that they would discern all these errors. It was their work to break the fetters of Rome and to give the Bible to the world; yet there were important truths which they failed to discover, and grave errors which they did not renounce. Most of them continued to observe the Sunday with other papal festivals. They did not, indeed, regard it as possessing divine authority, but believed that it should be observed as a generally accepted day of worship. There were some among them, however, who honored the Sabbath of the fourth commandment. ... {SR 353.2}

Obviously, the Bohemians would have been among the "some" who kept the Sabbath.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165295
05/22/14 11:55 AM
05/22/14 11:55 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
GC, I wish I could understand yours and Gordon's viewpoint. Do you mean you will only believe a dictionary (which is not even a theological dictionary), if it's written by an SDA? I find this strange, because EGW's personal and office library was largely composed of non-SDA authors, many of them her contemporaries.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165299
05/22/14 02:01 PM
05/22/14 02:01 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
This is a valid point, Rosangela. We must beware that we do not make Gail Riplinger and others have too much influence on our views.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: Rosangela] #165301
05/22/14 02:17 PM
05/22/14 02:17 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
GC, I wish I could understand yours and Gordon's viewpoint. Do you mean you will only believe a dictionary (which is not even a theological dictionary), if it's written by an SDA? I find this strange, because EGW's personal and office library was largely composed of non-SDA authors, many of them her contemporaries.

I can tell you that Mrs. White might have had books like John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress in her library, but she probably did not have any books by Thomas Paine. Neither, of course, was an Adventist. So, what is the difference between them? Both were scholars. Both were authors. But one was a sincere, truth-loving, law-abiding Christian while the other was a spiritualist. Interestingly, while Thomas Paine wrote in favor of deism, some of the same views which he held, such as that the scriptures were not inerrant, were views held by Thayer. Thayer was a unitarian, and had a big hand in making changes to the Bible through the translation of the corrupted manuscripts of Westcott and Hort.

The link below provides a good background into all of this, and shows the relationship each one has to the matter of Bible doctrines. It is noteworthy that Paine, Hort, and Thayer are all mentioned on the same page.

http://textualcriticism.scienceontheweb.net/AA/Unitarians.html

To answer your question more directly, Rosangela, I have no problem accepting a dictionary that is written by one who is following God's Spirit, regardless of their professed religious affiliation. However, by the same token, I would not follow the writings of even a Seventh-day Adventist who is not following God's Spirit. I would ask questions like these: How faithful is the man? What is his character and what are his fruits? What agenda does he have? What purpose does he have for writing what he does?

When I study the Bible, I want to know that the interpretation I make of it is not tainted by human corruptions of any kind, whether it be from adulterated Hebrew and Greek manuscripts, corrupted translations, or lexicons tainted by those willing to "bend" the truth to fit their own dogmas. I don't even want the interpretation I make of it to be tainted by my own opinion, pride, or prejudice.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165311
05/22/14 07:26 PM
05/22/14 07:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Commentaries sometimes must be taken with a grain of salt, but lexicons? There are no lexicons written by SDAs. If you can't trust a lexicon, you can't read the Bible in the original languages - not even if your mother tongue is Greek or Hebrew, for ancient Greek and Hebrew are very different from modern Greek and Hebrew. For those who have studied Greek and Hebrew, mere versions of the Bible are not enough, and lexicons are very useful tools.
As to Ellen White, she not only read but also quoted many Sundaykeepers - and many of them were her contemporaries. She had in her library, for instance, the Analytical Concordance of Robert Young, a biblical scholar (1822-1888). Surprisingly, she had in her library many books written by Brooke F. Westcott.
I didn't understand the reaction against Thayer. By the way, the definition he gave of the word anomia is biblically correct.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165315
05/22/14 08:07 PM
05/22/14 08:07 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
GC - do you ask the same questions when you introduce to us the views of Gail Riplinger?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Page 14 of 29 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 28 29
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!