HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 73 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 72 73
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165431
05/26/14 11:49 AM
05/26/14 11:49 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
We are born with a carnal mind, full of sinful tendencies, full of sinful traits of character; Jesus was born with a holy mind, free of sinful tendencies and sinful traits of character. Are you in agreement, MM? Where are sinful tendencies/traits of character located? In the body or in the mind?

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165432
05/26/14 01:36 PM
05/26/14 01:36 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Now verily, He helps the seed of Abraham by Himself becoming the seed of Abraham. God, sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh; that the righteousness of the law might be revealed in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. {January 6, 1896 WWP, BEST 4.5}

So you see that what the Scripture states very plainly is that Jesus Christ had exactly the same flesh that we bear,-flesh of sin, flesh in which we sin, flesh, however, in which He did not sin, but He bore our sins in that flesh of sin. Do not set this point aside. No matter how you may have looked at it in the past, look at it now as it is in the word; and the more you look at it in that way, the more reason you will have to thank God that it is so. {January 6, 1896 WWP, BEST 4.6}

What was the situation?-Adam had sinned, and Adam being the head of the human family, his sin was a typical sin. God made Adam in His own image, but by sin he lost that image. T
hen he begat sons and daughters, but he begat them in his image, not in God's. And so we have descended in the line, but all after his image. {January 6, 1896 WWP, BEST 4.7}

For four thousand years this went on, and then Jesus Christ came, of flesh, and in the flesh, born of a woman, made under the law; born of the Spirit, but in the flesh. And what flesh could He take but the flesh of the time? Not only that, but it was the very flesh He designed to take; because you see, the problem was to help man out of the difficulty into which he had fallen, and man is a free moral agent. He must be helped as a free moral agent. Christ's work must be, not to destroy him, not to create a new race, but to re-create man, to restore in him the image of God. "We see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that He by the grace of God should taste death for every man." Hebrews 2:9. {January 6, 1896 WWP, BEST 4.8}

God made man a little lower than the angels,
but man fell much lower by his sin. Now he is far separated from God; but he is to be brought back again. Jesus Christ came for that work; and in order to do it, He came, not where man was before he fell, but where man was after he fell. This is the lesson of Jacob's ladder. It rested on the earth where Jacob was, but the topmost round reached to heaven. When Christ comes to help man out of the pit, He does not come to the edge of the pit and look over, and say, Come up here, and I will help you back. If man could help himself up to the point from whence he has fallen, he could do all the rest. If he could help himself one step, he could help himself all the way; but it is because man is utterly ruined, weak, and wounded and broken to pieces, in fact, perfectly helpless, that Jesus Christ come right down where he is, and meets him there. He takes his flesh and He becomes a brother to him. Jesus Christ is a brother to us in the flesh: He was born into the family. {January 6, 1896 WWP, BEST 4.9}

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son." He had only one Son, and He gave Him away. And to whom did He give Him? "Unto us a child is born,
{January 6, 1896 WWP, BEST 4.10}

And notice, it was in sinful flesh that He was tempted, not the flesh in which Adam fell. This is wondrous truth, but I am wondrous glad that it is so. It follows at once that by birth, by being born into the same family, Jesus Christ is my brother in the flesh, "for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren." Hebrews 2:11. He has come into the family, identified Himself with the family, is both father of the family and brother of the family. As father of the family, He stands for the family. He came to redeem the family, condemning sin in the flesh, uniting divinity with flesh of sin. Jesus Christ made the connection between God and man, that the divine spirit might rest upon humanity. He made the way for humanity. {January 6, 1896 WWP, BEST 4.16}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Rosangela] #165433
05/26/14 04:21 PM
05/26/14 04:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
We are born with a carnal mind, full of sinful tendencies, full of sinful traits of character; Jesus was born with a holy mind, free of sinful tendencies and sinful traits of character. Are you in agreement, MM? Where are sinful tendencies/traits of character located? In the body or in the mind?

Born-again believers are reborn with a new nature, a new mind, a new heart, new motives, new tastes, new thoughts, new tendencies, new attributes, new traits of character. Their old man traits, habits, and tendencies are crucified. They are dead to sin and awake to righteousness. As they abide in Jesus, as they walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man, as they partake of the divine nature - they are empowered to use their new, sanctified faculties of mind and body to grow in grace and to mature in the fruits of the Spirit "more and more unto the perfect day." Nevertheless, they retain sinful flesh. It continues to tempt them from within to be unlike Jesus. While abiding in Jesus they are empowered to resist the unholy lusts, desires, cravings, clamorings, affections sinful flesh communicates. The following passages are pertinent:

Quote:
God makes no compromise with sin. A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong. {6BC 1101.3}

Self--the old disobedient nature--must be crucified, and Christ must take up His abode in the heart. Thus the human agent is born again, with a new nature. {ST, July 26, 1905 par. 6}

The old nature of the disciples often appeared. Often their natural characteristics strove for the mastery. But Jesus was ever presenting before them that these must be given up, emptied from the soul, that he might implant a new nature therein. {RH, October 5, 1897 par. 13}

The power of truth is to transform heart and character. Its effect is not like a dash of color here and there upon the canvas; the whole character is to be transformed; the image of Christ is to be revealed in words and actions. A new nature is imparted. Man is renewed after the image of Christ in righteousness and true holiness. {14MR 106.2}

We will be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Then rich clusters of fruit are borne. The graces of the Spirit are borne in love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness. We have new affections, new appetites, new tastes. Old things have passed away, and lo, all things have become new. {TSB 135.2}

The old nature, born of blood and the will of the flesh, cannot inherit the kingdom of God. The old ways, the hereditary tendencies, the former habits, must be given up; for grace is not inherited. The new birth consists in having new motives, new tastes, new tendencies. Those who are begotten unto a new life by the Holy Spirit, have become partakers of the divine nature, and in all their habits and practices, they will give evidence of their relationship to Christ. When men who claim to be Christians retain all their natural defects of character and disposition, in what does their position differ from that of the worldling? They do not appreciate the truth as a sanctifier, a refiner. They have not been born again. {RH, April 12, 1892 par. 9}

Jesus came in the likeness of a born-again believer - free of selfishness, free of defective traits of character, free of sinful propensities. He never sinned. He developed a perfect character. You asked - "We are born with a carnal mind, full of sinful tendencies, full of sinful traits of character; Jesus was born with a holy mind, free of sinful tendencies and sinful traits of character. Are you in agreement, MM?" Yes, I agree.

You also asked - "Where are sinful tendencies/traits of character located? In the body or in the mind?" Character is the fruit of repetitious choices. It is a compilation of the traits of character we cultivate. 1) Character and 2) traits of character are, therefore, two separate but related aspects of human nature. Character is part of the higher powers, which includes the will, mind, reason, intellect, and conscience.

Sinful tendencies, inclinations, propensities are inherited and tied to specific traits of character. Sinful tendencies, inclinations, propensities are fortified and strengthened as people cultivate corresponding traits of character which, in turn, are (sinful traits and tendencies, not character) passed onto to their children. Sinful tendencies, inclinations, propensities are part of the lower powers, which includes the appetites, passions, and sinful flesh.

Although the old man traits, habits, and tendencies are crucified when people experience rebirth in God's appointed way they, nonetheless, retain the sinful flesh they fortified and strengthened as they cultivated sinful traits and habits of character. It is the sinful tendencies associated with sinful flesh, not sinful character, that remain to tempt and annoy born-again believers as they abide in Jesus, as they walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man, as they partake of the divine nature. Again, Jesus came in the likeness of a born-again believer.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: jamesonofthunder] #165434
05/26/14 04:32 PM
05/26/14 04:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
There is a solution...

Jesus was the second Adam correct? He had the body of sinful Adam but the untainted character of pre fall Adam, correct?

I agree in principle; in reality, though, Jesus inherited the body of humanity after four thousands of sin and degradation and moral decay.

James, you didn't address each of the following:

Quote:
1) Having sinful flesh is not a sin or a source of guilt, corruption, or contamination.

2) As such, Jesus could, like born-again believers, possess sinful flesh without incurring guilt, corruption, or contamination.

3) Sinful "flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God."

4) You [James] seem to think possessing sinful flesh is, in and of itself, a source of guilt, corruption, and contamination - even if its unholy lusts, desires, cravings, clamorings, affections are successfully resisted, subdued, subjected to sanctified higher powers [will, mind, intellect, conscience].

5) The truth is, however, very much the opposite. Again, having sinful flesh is not a source of guilt, corruption, or contamination. The fact Jesus possessed sinful flesh is proof. The fact the 144,000 will possess it after probation closes is proof.

Please address them one at a time. Thank you.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Rosangela] #165438
05/26/14 05:05 PM
05/26/14 05:05 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA

Is the mind separate from the body? If so, how does that work?

Where do temptations from from? Are they only external?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165441
05/26/14 09:10 PM
05/26/14 09:10 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
I give up, there is no reasoning with you Mt Man. You are so convicted in your own thoughts. There is not one place in all of scripture or the spirit of prophecy that says Jesus had "sin in His sinful flesh", you are determined to present things in a manner that God does not appreciate. Of this I am thoroughly convicted. So much so it makes me guarded against everything you say, which I know is my own fault, but I am not condemned for my animosity against you.

APL haven't you heard of the "inward man"? That is the whole point. There is a division. The spirit warreth after the flesh and the flesh after the Spirit.

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

"When the grace of God takes possession of the heart, it is seen that the inherited and cultivated tendencies to wrong must be crucified. A new life, under new control, must begin in the soul. All that is done must be done to the glory of God. This work includes the outward as well as the inward man. The entire being, body, soul, and spirit, must be brought into subjection to God, to be used by Him as an instrument of righteousness.{MYP 68.3}
The natural man is not subject to the law of God; neither, indeed, of himself, can he be. But by faith he who has been renewed lives day by day the life of Christ. Day by day he shows that he realizes that he is God’s property.{MYP 68.4}
Body and soul belong to God. He gave His Son for the redemption of the world, and because of this we have been granted a new lease of life, a probation in which to develop characters of perfect loyalty. God has redeemed us from the slavery of sin, and has made it possible for us to live regenerated, transformed lives of service. {MYP 68.5}

"Of the hitherto polluted spring at Jericho, the Lord declared, “I have healed these waters; there shall not be from thence any more death or barren land.” The polluted stream represents the soul that is separate from God. Sin not only shuts away from God, but destroys in the human soul both the desire and the capacity for knowing Him. Through sin, the whole human organism is deranged, the mind is perverted, the imagination corrupted; the faculties of the soul are degraded. There is an absence of pure religion, of heart holiness. The converting power of God has not wrought in transforming the character. The soul is weak, and for want of moral force to overcome, is polluted and debased." {PK 233.1}

If through sin "the whole human organism is deranged, the mind is perverted, the imagination corrupted; the faculties of the soul are degraded" then how could Jesus have "sin in his sinful flesh"? His imagination was not corrupt, His faculties were not degraded.

If you both cannot see this then there is no point in trying to reason with you.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: APL] #165448
05/27/14 02:30 AM
05/27/14 02:30 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Originally Posted By: APL

Is the mind separate from the body? If so, how does that work?

Where do temptations from from? Are they only external?

They are interrelated, they react upon each other; but the body can only control the mind because sin has perverted the mind; the mind became weak.

The natural mind leans toward pleasure and self-gratification. {HP 160.2}

The natural mind is selfish, and sinful tendencies are in the mind.

Self-indulgence, love of pleasure, enmity, pride, self-esteem, envy, jealousy, will grow spontaneously, without example and teaching. In our present fallen state all that is needed is to give up the mind and character to its natural tendencies. {HP 195.4}

What happens is that children inherit from parents qualities of mind of a low order:

The parents give the stamp of character to their children. Therefore children that are born of these parents inherit from them qualities of mind which are of a low, base order. {2T 475.2}

As to temptations:

The corruption of the world is seeking to steal our senses; all the unholy influences on every side are working to hold us to a low, earthly level--blinding our sensibilities, degrading our desires, enfeebling our conscience, and crippling our religious faculties by urging us to give sway to the lower nature. Corruptions around us find corruptions within. Each works upon the other. {19MR 346.1}

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165453
05/27/14 07:17 AM
05/27/14 07:17 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
So we inherit from our parents our fallen nature. Do note:

The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. {DA 48.5}

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165456
05/27/14 01:44 PM
05/27/14 01:44 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
We inherit low qualities of mind from our parents - but we don't know exactly how this happens, for EGW says that the mother can transmit these for the child while in the womb (obviously after the child has been conceived). However, Jesus didn't inherit low qualities of mind from His mother. His mind was perfect, for it was divine.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Rosangela] #165461
05/27/14 03:34 PM
05/27/14 03:34 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
We inherit low qualities of mind from our parents - but we don't know exactly how this happens, for EGW says that the mother can transmit these for the child while in the womb (obviously after the child has been conceived). However, Jesus didn't inherit low qualities of mind from His mother. His mind was perfect, for it was divine.

Rosangela, you may not know, but much is now known of how this happens in the area of Epigenetics. And these epigenetic effects can persists for several generates, dare I say, to the 3th and the 4th generation?

You say did not inherit low qualities. What exactly did He then inherit? Did you not read the quote of EGW above? Stunning is it not? Was he not make like his brothers? Hebrews 2:17 Why in all things it behooved him to be made like to his brothers, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

But you say no, He was not like us. You quote the Baker letter, but do not include the context. You also might want to observe what others at the same time as Baker were saying and what did EGW writing against them for their writings? Nothing. This includes as I have quoted, Jones, Waggoner and Prescott. Baker's beliefs were different, he apparently believed in Christ's adoption, such that before His adoption, He was like us in that we acted out our sin. Christ never did, though He came in sinful (full of sin) flesh. And to change the definition of word such as sinful (full of sin) to say that "sinful" does not mean full of sin, is interesting.

From a sermon by AT Jones:
Again on page 55, "Steps to Christ:" {February 14, 1893 ATJ, GCDB 264.9}
"Jesus loves to have us come just as we are, sinful."
{February 14, 1893 ATJ, GCDB 264.10}
What is "sinful?" [Congregation: "Full of sin."] Does Jesus love to have us come to Him just as we are, full of sin? [Congregation: "Yes."] Does He? [Congregation: "Yes, sir."] Let us be Protestants. Let us have the third angel's message, which is the gospel of Jesus Christ.
{February 14, 1893 ATJ, GCDB 264.11}

What is sinful? [Congregation: "Full of sin."] Yep.

And read: Hebrews 5:2 Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity.

Only some of our infirmities?

Page 35 of 73 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 72 73

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!