HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 73 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 72 73
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165408
05/25/14 02:11 PM
05/25/14 02:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, thank you for the discussion. I appreciate the restraint you exercised in withholding sarcasm and personal attacks. All too often people who disagree passionately devolve into monsters calling names and acting unlike Jesus. You are a true man of God. Again, thank you.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: jamesonofthunder] #165409
05/25/14 02:25 PM
05/25/14 02:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
M: "Yes, learn of Him how to live the Christ life--a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin. {HP 183.3} If, as you seem to think, possessing sinful flesh is the "taint of sin" it would be impossible to imitate the life of Christ - a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin.

J: That has not been our argument. The argument is against you saying Jesus had "sin in his sinful flesh" So by the softening of your tone on this it appears that you are finally starting to get the picture, but isn't it strange that you do so without admitting your error? You make it sound like you have known it all along when in fact you have totally changed the direction of your response. SIN IN SINFUL FLESH Jesus NEVER had. Please go back and look at my recent responses.

James, just ask APL, Arnold, and Rosangela - they will tell you I have not changed or softened my understanding of sinful flesh. I'm sorry you think so. Having sinful flesh is not a sin or a source of guilt, corruption, or contamination. As such, Jesus could, like born-again believers, possess sinful flesh without incurring guilt, corruption, or contamination. Sinful "flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God." You seem to think possessing sinful flesh is, in and of itself, a source of guilt, corruption, and contamination - even if its unholy lusts, desires, cravings, clamorings, affections are successfully resisted, subdued, subjected to sanctified higher powers. The truth is, however, very much the opposite. Again, having sinful flesh is not a source of guilt, corruption, or contamination. The fact Jesus possessed sinful flesh is proof. The fact the 144,000 will possess it after probation closes is proof.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165410
05/25/14 02:40 PM
05/25/14 02:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: "Yes, learn of Him how to live the Christ life--a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin. {HP 183.3} If, as you seem to think, possessing sinful flesh is the "taint of sin" it would be impossible to imitate the life of Christ - a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin.

J: That has not been our argument.

Perhaps not you, but both Arnold and Rosangela believe born-again, changed, converted, transformed believers are incapable of experiencing "a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin." According to their understanding of sin, anyone who possesses sinful flesh is innately, inherently, intrinsically guilty of sin, corruption, and contamination - even if they refuse to act out the unholy lusts, desires, cravings, clamorings, affections sinful flesh communicates. The clamorings of sinful flesh, being tempted from within, constitutes sin and guilt. The "motions of sin . . . the sin that dwelleth in me . . . that is, in my flesh" in and of itself, according to them, counts as sin and guilt. Therefore, "a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin" is, of course, impossible. God can legally declare it, but they cannot in reality experience it. Everything they think, say, and do is stained with sin and selfishness - including the righteous results of abiding in Jesus.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165413
05/25/14 06:50 PM
05/25/14 06:50 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Here we get down to it. You are so sure of yourself. You act pious thanking Arnold for not devolving into a monster. Then you say something completely against the faith of Christ.

"Therefore, "a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin" is, of course, impossible. God can legally declare it, but they cannot in reality experience it. Everything they think, say, and do is stained with sin and selfishness - including the righteous results of abiding in Jesus."

They? Not you?

I cannot even begin to share how wrong you are here.

God said through His servant...

"We are to form characters free from sin—characters made righteous in and by the grace of Christ.... Our hearts are to be cleansed from all impurity in the blood shed to take away sin. {CH 633.3

Jesus "be ye therefore perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect" so you directly contradict what Jesus Himself said.

It is impossible in ourselves to be perfect and we should not look to ourselves to think we are perfect, but it is the perfect will of God for us to remain in perfection after He forgives us. That is the whole intent of Atonement. We see our defiled nature, repent, receive forgiveness and walk in that light. Jesus didn't have to go through any of that yet you say He was exactly like fallen men in every way.

You say Jesus was exactly like fallen man yet say it is impossible for fallen men to be free of sin? That sounds like a huge contradiction.

Pay special attention to this next quote mt man.

"God’s ideal for His children is higher than the highest human thought can reach. “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” This command is a promise. The plan of redemption contemplates our complete recovery from the power of Satan. Christ always separates the contrite soul from sin. He came to destroy the works of the devil, and He has made provision that the Holy Spirit shall be imparted to every repentant soul, to keep him from sinning.{DA 311.2}
The tempter’s agency is not to be accounted an excuse for one wrong act. Satan is jubilant when he hears the professed followers of Christ making excuses for their deformity of character. It is these excuses that lead to sin. There is no excuse for sinning. A holy temper, a Christlike life, is accessible to every repenting, believing child of God.{DA 311.3}
The ideal of Christian character is Christlikeness. As the Son of man was perfect in His life, so His followers are to be perfect in their life. Jesus was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of man; yet He was the blameless Son of God. He was God in the flesh. His character is to be ours. The Lord says of those who believe in Him, “I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.” 2 Corinthians 6:16.{DA 311.4}

Yet you say it is IMPOSSIBLE to attain this? I have experienced this and I shared it with you in some of my first posts. When I was led to the Sabbath and became an SDA God took away my desire for sin. He took away my guilt. I was given complete victory over alcohol and drugs and have not gone back. There is a dividing from the lusts of the flesh in Christ. I have fallen to temptation on other levels that He has also given the victory over in my sanctification, but I am still a work in progress.

The only thing impossible for God to do is to force us to be perfect. Then it would not be perfection.

AND He does not go back in time and take away our past sins, He makes propitiation for them. He shows us how JESUS suffered the consequences of our sins. That is how our prayers come before Him defiled, needing to be cleansed.

It is after His propitiation is accepted by His children that we are cleansed. If we remain in this light and do not stray from the path and sin again then we remain in His Son's perfection.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165419
05/26/14 12:56 AM
05/26/14 12:56 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: jsot
I cannot even begin to share how wrong you are here.

Jesus [said] "be ye therefore perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect" so you directly contradict what Jesus Himself said.

Yet you say it is IMPOSSIBLE to attain this?

You say Jesus was exactly like fallen man yet say it is impossible for fallen men to be free of sin? That sounds like a huge contradiction.

You might be surprised to learn I believe something very different than what you seem to think I believe. Here's something I posted earlier on this thread:

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Mountain Man: "All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin." {SC 59.4} Conversely, people who complete the process of conversion in God's appointed way and are abiding in Jesus grow in grace and mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit. While abiding in Jesus all that they think, say, and do is - "pure and holy and undefiled". Ellen White makes it clear - The righteous results of abiding in Jesus are pure, holy, harmless, undefiled, wholly acceptable to God, without spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing.

Quote:
[God] abhors all selfishness and covetousness. {OHC 225.2}

All selfishness comes from Satan. {LHU 292.2}

Christ strikes at the root of all selfishness. {5T 204.2}

All selfishness must be cut out by the roots. {RC 287.6}

Our souls must be purified from all selfishness; for God desires to use His people as representatives of the heavenly kingdom. {6T 190.3}

The true Christian banishes all selfishness from his heart. . . . The true Christian works unselfishly and untiringly for the Master. {OHC 287}

Bible conversion will lead to constant and abiding activity, which will be free from all selfishness, all self-exaltation, and all boastful claims of holiness. {SD 334.3}

But few have a true sense of what is comprised in the word Christian. It is to be Christlike, to do others good, to be divested of all selfishness, and to have our lives marked with acts of disinterested benevolence. {2T 331.1}

For "if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." That which was objectionable in the character is purified from the soul by the love of Jesus. All selfishness is expelled, all envy, all evil-speaking, is rooted out, and a radical transformation is wrought in the heart. "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." "The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace. {RH, July 22, 1890 par. 15}

Christ lives in them, and the power of His Spirit attends their efforts. They realize that they are to live in this world the life that Jesus lived--a life free from all selfishness; and He enables them to bear witness for Him that draws souls to the cross of Calvary.--ST, Apr. 9, 1902.{DG 81.4}

No one can be omnipotent, but all can cleanse themselves from filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of the Lord. God requires every soul to be pure and holy. We have hereditary tendencies to wrong. This is a part of self that no one need carry about. It is a weakness of humanity to pet selfishness, because it is a natural trait of character. But unless all selfishness is put away, unless self is crucified, we can never be holy as God is holy. There is in humanity a tendency to suspicious imagining, which circumstances quicken into lively growth. If this trait is indulged, it spoils the character and ruins the soul. {FLB 140.4}

Asygo: It looks like selfishness is not totally gone from believers.

Mountain Man: The contrast between what you wrote and what Ellen White wrote is striking.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165420
05/26/14 01:02 AM
05/26/14 01:02 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: jsot
We see our defiled nature, repent, receive forgiveness and walk in that light. Jesus didn't have to go through any of that yet you say He was exactly like fallen men in every way.

Again, you might be surprised to learn I do not believe Jesus is like sinners in every way. Instead, I believe Jesus is like born-again, changed, converted, transformed believers - free of sin, free of defective traits of character, free of sinful propensities. And, like them, Jesus possessed the "likeness of sinful flesh". Like them, Jesus resisted the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165421
05/26/14 01:06 AM
05/26/14 01:06 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
James, read the post again. Please note the highlighted parts. I also added brackets to help clarify who believes what.

Perhaps not you [nor me], but both Arnold and Rosangela believe born-again, changed, converted, transformed believers are incapable of experiencing "a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin." According to their understanding of sin, anyone who possesses sinful flesh is innately, inherently, intrinsically guilty of sin, corruption, and contamination - even if they refuse to act out the unholy lusts, desires, cravings, clamorings, affections sinful flesh communicates. The clamorings of sinful flesh, being tempted from within, constitutes sin and guilt. The "motions of sin . . . the sin that dwelleth in me . . . that is, in my flesh" in and of itself, according to them, counts as sin and guilt. Therefore, "a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin" is, [according to Arnold and Rosangela], of course, impossible. God can legally declare it, but [according to Arnold and Rosangela] they [believers] cannot in reality experience it. [according to Arnold and Rosangela] Everything they [believers] think, say, and do is stained with sin and selfishness - including the righteous results of abiding in Jesus.

You mistakenly concluded I believe what Arnold and Rosangela believe. I was sharing what they believe - not what I believe.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165422
05/26/14 01:20 AM
05/26/14 01:20 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
James, I'm reposting this post because I'm interested in your comments on each point.

M: "Yes, learn of Him how to live the Christ life--a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin. {HP 183.3} If, as you [Arnold and Rosangela] seem to think, possessing sinful flesh is the "taint of sin" it would be impossible to imitate the life of Christ - a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin.

J: That has not been our argument. The argument is against you saying Jesus had "sin in his sinful flesh" So by the softening of your tone on this it appears that you are finally starting to get the picture, but isn't it strange that you do so without admitting your error? You make it sound like you have known it all along when in fact you have totally changed the direction of your response. SIN IN SINFUL FLESH Jesus NEVER had. Please go back and look at my recent responses.

M: James, just ask APL, Arnold, and Rosangela - they will tell you I have not changed or softened my understanding of sinful flesh. I'm sorry you think so.

1) Having sinful flesh is not a sin or a source of guilt, corruption, or contamination.

2) As such, Jesus could, like born-again believers, possess sinful flesh without incurring guilt, corruption, or contamination.

3) Sinful "flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God."

4) You [James] seem to think possessing sinful flesh is, in and of itself, a source of guilt, corruption, and contamination - even if its unholy lusts, desires, cravings, clamorings, affections are successfully resisted, subdued, subjected to sanctified higher powers [will, mind, intellect, conscience].

5) The truth is, however, very much the opposite. Again, having sinful flesh is not a source of guilt, corruption, or contamination. The fact Jesus possessed sinful flesh is proof. The fact the 144,000 will possess it after probation closes is proof.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165428
05/26/14 03:12 AM
05/26/14 03:12 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
WW Prescott.

It was the Word becoming flesh. The Scripture does not leave us in uncertainty as to what kind of flesh and blood this was. "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh." The flesh that Jesus Christ took when he came here was the only flesh that any one could take by being born of a woman, and that was the flesh of sin. No other flesh could be given. It was impossible that one should be born at that time into the human family, and become a member by birth, without taking flesh of sin. When God made man, he made him in his likeness, he was on an elevated plane, and when he fell, he not only changed his plane of living, but in the fall he became bruised and broken and powerless. Jesus Christ came to lift him up, not by standing aloof and giving him good advice, but by identifying himself with man. He did not take the likeness of man just as Adam was before he fell, but he came down to the very plane to which man had fallen, and identified himself with him, and took upon himself the flesh of sin. w. w. p. {March 10, 1896 WWP, ARSH 152.7}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165430
05/26/14 08:32 AM
05/26/14 08:32 AM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
James, I'm reposting this post because I'm interested in your comments on each point.

M: "Yes, learn of Him how to live the Christ life--a life pure and holy, free from an

y taint of sin. {HP 183.3} If, as you [Arnold and Rosangela] seem to think, possessing sinful flesh is the "taint of sin" it would be impossible to imitate the life of Christ - a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin.

M: James, just ask APL, Arnold, and Rosangela - they will tell you I have not changed or softened my understanding of sinful flesh. I'm sorry you think so.

1) Having sinful flesh is not a sin or a source of guilt, corruption, or contamination.

2) As such, Jesus could, like born-again believers, possess sinful flesh without incurring guilt, corruption, or contamination.

3) Sinful "flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God."

4) You [James] seem to think possessing sinful flesh is, in and of itself, a source of guilt, corruption, and contamination - even if its unholy lusts, desires, cravings, clamorings, affections are successfully resisted, subdued, subjected to sanctified higher powers [will, mind, intellect, conscience].

5) The truth is, however, very much the opposite. Again, having sinful flesh is not a source of guilt, corruption, or contamination. The fact Jesus possessed sinful flesh is proof. The fact the 144,000 will possess it after probation closes is proof.

While it is clearer now what your intent of the statement was, the fact that you didn't include yourself when stating it made it confusing and I appologize for rushing to my conclusion, and now I do rember those statements before. So now the only issue at hand is the clarification of the statement "sin in His sinful flesh". I know your intent of using the sinful flesh concept, but saying that He had sin in His flesh does not sit well with the Holy spirit. He did not have sinful propensities and had a perfect character from birth. So saying He had sin in His flesh is also confusing. I would love to be of one accord on this because it is vexing my soul. There is a solution...
Jesus was the second Adam correct? He had the body of sinful Adam but the untainted character of pre fall Adam, correct?
If you agree with this then there is harmony here, but again I must warn you not to write things differently than the apostles and prophets were inspired to. They would never think to say Jesus had sin in His flesh. Jesus retained the innocence of birth throughout His life so it was like He made it possible to recreated all of fallen humanity into born again Christians redeeming fallen flesh but without the guilt a sinner incures, so
He was not LIKE a born again Christian. He gave the example in how to be born again without having to be. He was fallen Adams rebirth not His own. So please stop presenting things in such a confusing manner for the sake of having something new to say and all will be well. Is that ok, or were you sent to cause such discord?

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Page 34 of 73 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 72 73

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!