HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 49 of 73 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 72 73
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165988
06/18/14 02:48 AM
06/18/14 02:48 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Sunday/AntiChrist debate moved to it's own thread:
This thread

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165990
06/18/14 03:46 AM
06/18/14 03:46 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
1) "The weight of the sins of the world was pressing His soul, and His countenance expressed unutterable sorrow, a depth of anguish that fallen man had never realized." When and where did this happen?

2) "He felt the overwhelming tide of woe that deluged the world." How and why was this possible?

3) "He realized the strength of indulged appetite and unholy passion which controlled the world and had brought upon man inexpressible suffering." How and why was this possible?

So to answer your question those quotes are from when He entered into temptation in the wilderness. BUT they are nothing compared to what He endured in the Garden of Gethsemane when He took the sins of the world upon Himself cutting Him off from the Father.

I don't understand how your response answers the three questions posted above.

It answered the "WHEN" of the quotes.
And he also gave his answer as he understands it (which is different from how you understand it).

I tend to agree with JSOT that there was a difference. The full weight of the GUILT of mankind didn't fall upon Jesus until He was in the garden of Gethsemane -- there the guilt of those sins nearly crushed Him and the presence of God was being withdrawn from Him.

In the wilderness it was different.
At that point in time, Christ was beginning His work of reconciling mankind to God. The passages you quoted do NOT say the sins were upon Him, but rather that the magnitude of the sins of the people He had come to redeem He realized was so terribly great.
The reality of His mission was before Him.
Satan was there pressing doubts as the possibility for success in such a mammoth mission.

" After the baptism, Christ went into the wilderness of temptation. It was here that He fought the great battle with His fallen foe. Satan tried every device to overcome the humanity of Christ. He claimed to be an angel direct from heaven. He clothed himself with angel robes, that he might, if possible, deceive the Son of God." {9MR 233.4}

Satan's temptations were all geared to a "there is an easier way" to do this scheme
Use your divine power to make things easier for you
Use your status to put on a big display that will have everyone spell bound.
Lastly, you don't have to die to win back the world just join Satan and it's all yours.

It is NOT correct to take those quotes and equate them with Jesus taking the guilt of mankind's sin upon Himself at this point.
He was beginning His work of reconciling people back to God, who seemed hopelessly bound in sin here, and was being sorely tempted by Satan to take an "easier" way.

Your questions seem to imply that you think Christ had to have "unholy passions" in order to "realize the strength" of them-- but that is not the case. Mankind's utter immersion in sin were things impressed upon Him as His work of restoring humanity to the communion of God was fully laid out before Him.
Could He do it? Yes, He was a human, and the task was terribly huge for a human.

"There was a mighty work for Him to achieve as the representative of the race. He was to pass over the ground where Adam stumbled and fell. By His resistance to temptation He was to work out a victory in behalf of the fallen race, and elevate man in the scale of moral value with God." {9MR 233.4}

Adam wasn't even hungry when he ate the forbidden fruit.
Christ was starving when He was offered "forbidden food" (using His Divine power to make food).

His temptations were:
" his difficult task to maintain the level of humanity." {3SP 260.1}

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #166007
06/18/14 04:43 PM
06/18/14 04:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure. Philippians 2:13.

Some people believe the fruit of the above passage is sinful and unacceptable to God. However, they do not back up their assertion with Scripture.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #166008
06/18/14 04:47 PM
06/18/14 04:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Dedication, thank you for answering for JSOT. I'll respond when I have more time.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #166028
06/19/14 02:48 AM
06/19/14 02:48 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure. Philippians 2:13.

Some people believe the fruit of the above passage is sinful and unacceptable to God. However, they do not back up their assertion with Scripture.

God's work is never sinful or unacceptable, but our response is often half-hearted and stumbling.

Our natures are not just inherited, they are engraved into our minds by the many habits we have developed. Our minds are like a web of roads. The more a road is travelled the deeper are the grooves and more likely for our thought patterns to flow down that road. Many of these "roads" are already deeply grooved into our minds before we are adults.

God takes us step by step to "higher ground".
Focusing on Him helps to develop new "roads" in our minds.
His power helps put Blocks on the old paths (but He does not stop us if we plough over those blocks). He patiently keeps working with us.

Anyone who thinks they are "sinless" in all their thoughts and actions once they accept Christ are in for a very discouraging shock.

We are "perfect" because of the forgiveness, merits and righteousness of Christ.
From there we need to continually walk with Christ in humble faith and obedience. If we do that, He will step by step change us.

Focusing on achieving our perfection is plain self absorption and doesn't lead to its supposed aim.
Our focus must be on Christ and His righteousness (not drag Him down to our own supposed passions and inherited sins) but focus upon His life, righteousness and gift of salvation, and daily, hourly, minute by minute walk with HIM in humility and obedience.

Micah 6:8 He has showed thee, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: dedication] #166099
06/21/14 04:11 PM
06/21/14 04:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
M: "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure." Philippians 2:13. Some people believe the fruit of the above passage is sinful and unacceptable to God. However, they do not back up their assertion with Scripture.

D: God's work is never sinful or unacceptable, but our response is often half-hearted and stumbling.

True. But is that what Jesus is saying in Philippians 2:13? Is He saying the fruit of my work in you is defiled because your response is corrupt? I don't think so. I believe Jesus is saying the fruit of His work in us is good and pleasing to God.

So, where in the Bible does Jesus say - The fruit of abiding in Jesus is sometimes stained with sin and unacceptable to God? Or, does He ever say such a thing?

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: dedication] #166101
06/21/14 04:49 PM
06/21/14 04:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Anyone who thinks they are "sinless" in all their thoughts and actions once they accept Christ are in for a very discouraging shock. We are "perfect" because of the forgiveness, merits and righteousness of Christ. From there we need to continually walk with Christ in humble faith and obedience. If we do that, He will step by step change us.

Amen! The opposite is no less true - Believers who believe they are sinning and unacceptable to God are shockingly discouraged. No one can go around believing they are sinning and crucifying Christ afresh and escape crushing depression. Our focus must be "Christ and Him crucified" - not "am I sinning or am I sinless".

The truth is - Jesus changes born-again believers from "faith to faith,", from "grace to grace," from "glory to glory" - not from greater sins to lesser sins until they eventually cease to sin (I'm not saying this is what you believe). Jesus does not withhold revealing certain cultivated traits of character until He feels we are ready to confront and crucify them. They come to light in light of His glory and goodness.

Quote:
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29}

They are new people - "old things have passed" and "all things are become new".

Quote:
John says, “The light”—Christ—“shineth in darkness,” that is, in the world, “and the darkness comprehended it not.... But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.” The reason why the unbelieving world are not saved is that they do not choose to be enlightened. The old nature, born of blood and the will of the flesh, cannot inherit the kingdom of God. The old ways, the hereditary tendencies, the former habits, must be given up; for grace is not inherited. The new birth consists in having new motives, new tastes, new tendencies. Those who are begotten unto a new life by the Holy Spirit, have become partakers of the divine nature, and in all their habits and practices, they will give evidence of their relationship to Christ. When men who claim to be Christians retain all their natural defects of character and disposition, in what does their position differ from that of the worldling? They do not appreciate the truth as a sanctifier, a refiner. They have not been born again. { RH April 12, 1892, par. 9}

“The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.” Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. {My Life Today, p. 250.4}

PS - This is not to say they are incapable of sinning. However, to sin, they must neglect or refuse to abide in Jesus. Then all they can do is sin. "All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin; but that which is wrought through faith is acceptable to God." {SC, p. 59.4} Some say - "that which is wrought through faith is stained with sin and unacceptable to God." How different it is in the Bible and the SOP!

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: dedication] #166104
06/21/14 07:36 PM
06/21/14 07:36 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Daryl, what do I say to my wife, family, and friends? They are concerned. Please advise. Thank you.

What Jamessonofthunder is doing is simply paraphrasing from EGW quotes as to the final fate of people who knew the truth but weren't sanctified by it.

Like "Early Writings page 36"
{RH, August 1, 1849 par. 14}
Testimonies Vol. 1 page 140

As long as you, your wife, your family are truly walking with Christ in love and obedience to Him, you have nothing to fear.

Amen. This is inspired.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #166107
06/21/14 08:28 PM
06/21/14 08:28 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”

There is a need of establishing a relationship with Christ in order to love Him. We do not come out of the womb loving Him, and even when we do learn to love Him there is a steady learning that must occur.

The bible is linear. Can you even begin to read it without a desire to know the truth? When you start reading does it all come at once? Do you have some kind of revelation of God without an established love for the truth? Can you have complete truth without revelation?

The Spirit of Prophecy says that there are many inside other denominations who do not have the complete truth yet they are still God's people.

Mt Man, the way you present your case excludes anyone who does not have the complete truth in them from the start which is a lie.

We come to Christ as students. If we love the truth it leads to more truth until Christ is fully revealed in us. Some know sin much sooner than others or those who are breaking the Sabbath would be excluded according to you. Is breaking the Sabbath sin? Then how does God call them HIS PEOPLE?

It is true that when perfection was revealed in the body of Christ there was no excuse for sin, but even then He did not reveal His full glory until they could accept it.

He did not reveal His full glory and purpose until AFTER the resurrection because they couldn't bear it. They wouldn't have been so discouraged when He died if they knew. Are you saying that because Thomas denied that Jesus had been resurrected that he was not in Christ? Then why would Jesus send him?

The whole mission of Christ was steady flow of revelation. They had been baptized, even Judas did miracles, but it wasn't until the early rain that they were sealed with the Holy Spirit.

What you are trying to force as doctrine only applies to those who are sealed and cannot fall ever again.

I had a revelation because God had prepared me to see His truth through a desire for the truth. But it was a revelation of commandments, which was the instructor. Then He began to teach me of His mercy and this built a relationship. The fear of the Lord is the BEGINNING of wisdom.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

1 Corinthians 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: jamesonofthunder] #166127
06/22/14 05:22 PM
06/22/14 05:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
Mt Man, the way you present your case excludes anyone who does not have the complete truth in them from the start which is a lie. . . What you are trying to force as doctrine only applies to those who are sealed and cannot fall ever again.

Born-again babes in Christ are, according to the Bible, born again dead to sin, free from sin, and awake to righteousness. Nowhere in the Bible does it describe born-again babes as new believers who sin ignorantly until Jesus decides to reveal it to them. People who experience rebirth in "God's appointed way" are "complete in Christ". Jesus implants in them all the righteous attributes of God, all the fruits of the Spirit - "not one is missing". While abiding in Jesus, while walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, while partaking of the divine nature they grow in grace, mature in the fruits of the Spirit "more and more unto the perfect day". They grow from "glory to glory" - not from greater sins to lesser sins.

It sounds like you disagree.

Page 49 of 73 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 72 73

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!