HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 93 of 102 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 101 102
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #166348
06/28/14 04:08 PM
06/28/14 04:08 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: MM
I believe we determine our own outcome in judgment by the way we choose to live. If we choose to cooperate with heavenly agencies and develop perfect traits of character our eternal destiny is eternal life in the New Earth. If we refuse to cooperate and develop perfect traits of character our eternal destiny is everlasting punishment.
So you agree, it is US that destroy our own souls in hell, not God. Am I reading you correctly?

Note - articles printed in the Signs go through editors.

EGW: All should be intelligent in regard to the agency by which the soul is destroyed. It is US that destroy ourselves. Futher she writes: God destroys no man. Everyone who is destroyed will have destroyed himself. Everyone who stifles the admonitions of conscience is sowing the seeds of unbelief, and these will produce a sure harvest. By rejecting the first warning from God, Pharaoh of old sowed the seeds of obstinacy, and he reaped obstinacy. God did not compel him to disbelieve. The seed of unbelief which he sowed produced a harvest of its kind. Thus his resistance continued, until he looked upon his devastated land, upon the cold, dead form of his first-born, and the first-born of all in his house and of all the families in his kingdom, until the waters of the sea closed over his horses and his chariots and his men of war. His history is a fearful illustration of the truth of the words that "whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." Galatians 6:7. Did men but realize this, they would be careful what seed they sow. {COL 84.4}

Conclusion - it is not God, men, or Satan, but ourselves that destroy our soul in hell. We all are have this intelligent knowledge of the truth.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #166368
06/29/14 01:18 AM
06/29/14 01:18 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I am terribly sorry my post wasn't more clear and that it led you to the wrong conclusion as to what I believe about hellfire and brimstone. I believe it is Jesus who will cast body and soul "alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone." I am happy to learn you do not believe it is Satan who will do it. I cannot envision the unsaved casting themselves alive into the lake of fire.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #166369
06/29/14 01:48 AM
06/29/14 01:48 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I am terribly sorry my post wasn't more clear and that it led you to the wrong conclusion as to what I believe about hellfire and brimstone. I believe it is Jesus who will cast body and soul "alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone." I am happy to learn you do not believe it is Satan who will do it. I cannot envision the unsaved casting themselves alive into the lake of fire.

MM - do the quotes of EGW mean nothing in this discussion? As she said, all need an intelligent understand of the agency by which the soul is destroyed...

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #166370
06/29/14 02:40 AM
06/29/14 02:40 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

We destroy our own souls by the choices we make. God destroys the souls of all sinners in justice in the end. How is that? Spiritual wisdom must be used to understand this complex riddle that a child could understand when explained to her.

"If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are." (1 Corinthians 3:17)

We can destroy our characters, thus defiling our body temple, and making us unfit to stand in the judgment day in God's presence. His glory will destroy sinners.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. (2 Thessalonians 2:8-10)

The Bible tells us plainly who will destroy whom. Genesis 3:15 is where mankind was first given this message. Man does destroy himself by his choices. But God will destroy man in hell on account of those choices. There's nothing complex here, really.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #166371
06/29/14 03:25 AM
06/29/14 03:25 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Green - - you leave out EGW whom I think you believe is inspired where she clearly says, "God destroys no man". And you say, that it not true.

You leave out where she says that God is not the executioner, but you say He is.

You leave out where she says, "Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings".

The truth is simple that even a child can understand it.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #166377
06/29/14 05:31 AM
06/29/14 05:31 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
Green - - you leave out EGW whom I think you believe is inspired where she clearly says, "God destroys no man". And you say, that it not true.

You leave out where she says that God is not the executioner, but you say He is.

You leave out where she says, "Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings".

The truth is simple that even a child can understand it.

Just because I understand those passages differently from you, does not mean I leave them out or "reject" them. I look at them within their proper context. You pull them out of their context and apply them where they were never meant to be applied. I have a way of understanding those passages that fits with the rest of inspiration. You don't. Your view cannot accept passages that say clearly God punishes and/or destroys. For example, you have little that can be said to justify your position in light of the following passage, and yet you tenaciously hold to your weak claims that God punishes by withdrawing His protection. I suppose it does not matter how God punishes--after all, that's up to Him. But He does punish, which is the answer to this thread's question. See below.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

Who will say God will not do what He says He will do?--12MR 207-209; 10MR 265 (1876). {LDE 241.3}

I will not be the one to say God will not do what God says He will do. You are very brave to say such. I'm not that brave.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #166380
06/29/14 07:12 AM
06/29/14 07:12 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green
I will not be the one to say God will not do what God says He will do.
But you have...

...the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some in order to further his own designs, and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them.
{GC 589.2}

God destroys no man; but when a man stifles conviction, when he turns from evidence, he is sowing unbelief, and will reap as he has sown. {RH, February 17, 1891 par. 2}

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. {14MR 3.1}

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #166387
06/29/14 08:47 AM
06/29/14 08:47 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: Green
I will not be the one to say God will not do what God says He will do.
But you have...

...the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some in order to further his own designs, and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them.
{GC 589.2}

God destroys no man; but when a man stifles conviction, when he turns from evidence, he is sowing unbelief, and will reap as he has sown. {RH, February 17, 1891 par. 2}

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. {14MR 3.1}

No. I have not said God will not do those things. Again, you misrepresent my view. Would you be so kind as to tell me where I said He would not withdraw His protection? The problem is context. In one context, God will merely withdraw His protection. Mrs. White never once says this will be His manner of destroying sinners in hell. Please show me where she does say this about hell, if you would be so kind as to help me see the support for your view.

Jesus will not work with us always in the same manner. One time He may plead with us, one time He may ignore or reject our request, to test us. Saying He will do one of these does not preclude the other option. So it is with His manner of destruction. He uses varied ways. The particular group that Mrs. White referred to in saying God would withdraw His protection from them in order to destroy them is all a pre-probation's-close people. After probation closes, His manner will not be the same. This will be clear to those who open their minds to the Holy Spirit as they read and study the issue.

Mrs. White is clear in maintaining BOTH the "withdraw and permit" and the "command destruction" principles by which God destroys. He uses both methods. This, however, is a statement that cannot be made to fit in your view, and you have no answer for it. You've seen it umpteen times, but here it is again.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

I would ask you, APL, "Do you believe GC 614.2 is an inspired statement, and that it is true?" If so, I would also ask how commanding holy angels to destroy is the same as to withdraw and permit?

Sending an angel to destroy does not equal withdrawal from the scene so that Satan can do his work.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #166390
06/29/14 01:48 PM
06/29/14 01:48 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Revelation 7:1-3 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. 2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

HOW do the 4 angels have power to hurt? By withdrawing.

The judgments of God do not come out directly from the Lord, "but in this way", He withdraws.

Deuteronomy 31:17-18 Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come on us, because our God is not among us? 18 And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have worked, in that they are turned to other gods.

God’s anger is activated by the free moral agent in the freedom of choice exercised in the wrong direction. They have rejected God and God honors that choice and withdraws Himself from the role of Protector and Sustainer. Then the other gods, which are no gods, come in to fill the role of God. The result is that “many evils and troubles” come to them and they are “devoured.” It is not God that devours, but the evils and troubles that befall them because God is not in the picture. So, the fundamental difference between the wrath of man and the wrath of God is that for man to destroy He must actively do something. For God to destroy He must passively abandon His position. James says that the wrath of man does not work the righteousness of God (James 1:20). They are totally different modalities. Gods thoughts and ways are as far apart as the heavens and the earth, says Isaiah (Isaiah 55:8-9).

Here is another Biblical statement of how the wrath of God functions, found in Isaiah 57:17. I will spell it out by organizing it according to its chiastic structure, often seen in Hebrew poetry. We can readily decode meaning when we do this:

A. For the iniquity of his covetousness
---B. was I wroth,
------C. and smote him:
------C'. I hid me,
---B'. and was wroth,
A'. and he went on frowardly in the way of his heart.

Notice how the corresponding "C" lines show the "smiting" as the "hiding."

God's destruction is when He lets us have our own way.

Remember the fiery serpents? HOW did God send the fiery serpents?

Numbers 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

And the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died." {ST, April 2, 1894 par. 2}

The Lord had fed them with the bread of heaven, even with angels' food; and yet they murmured against him. By his power he had held in check the wild beasts of the forests, and the reptiles of the wilderness, so that they had not hurt his people; but now he removed his restraining hand, and let the poisonous serpents do as they would have done all along the way had the Lord not restrained them. The real trouble that now came upon them served to bring them to their senses, and to awaken their paralyzed thoughts as to what course to pursue. "Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the Lord, and against thee; pray unto the Lord, that he take away the serpents from us. . . . {ST, April 2, 1894 par. 3}

Note when the "real trouble" came, when God removed the restraint. The hermeneutic is ever the same. Sin is always the problem, not God.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #166393
06/29/14 03:56 PM
06/29/14 03:56 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The problem with your view, APL, is that you see it as a "problem" to destroy sin and sinners in the end. God, and the righteous universe, will see it as a "solution," and a righteous act.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 93 of 102 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 101 102

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!