HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Does God require violence? #17084
02/14/06 02:54 PM
02/14/06 02:54 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Did God require violence in order to solve the problem of rebellion? Is violence a core, fundamental principle of God's government? Did sin introduce a new element into God's government which required violence in order to re-establish it? Is the only way God can fix rebellion by violent means?

Re: Does God require violence? #17085
02/15/06 12:28 PM
02/15/06 12:28 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I'm not sure what you're getting at Tom. Is it the crucifixion? That was violent and it was required in the sense that a randsom was needed for humanity, wasn't it?

Re: Does God require violence? #17086
02/15/06 01:35 PM
02/15/06 01:35 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
I'm not sure what you mean, either, Tom? There is a teaching out there that says that "God does not destroy." Do you believe that?

Tammy

Re: Does God require violence? #17087
02/15/06 02:33 PM
02/15/06 02:33 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I was thinking primarily of the cross. My understanding of the cross is that it was necessary for our sake. For example, we read

quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. (DA 22)
Also

quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (11/20/90)
I understand that since the whole purpose of Christ's mission was to set men right through the revelation of God, this was also the purpose of the cross, since it was the apix of Christ's ministry. And indeed, this understanding is born out in the following:

quote:
To the angels and the unfallen worlds the cry, "It is finished," had a deep significance. It was for them as well as for us that the great work of redemption had been accomplished. They with us share the fruits of Christ's victory.

Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion. (DA 758)

I can go into more detail on this aspect of things, although it's not exactly what I'm asking. What I'm asking is a philosophical question. If we take the position that the cross is something that *God* requires in order to deal with the sin problem, then the conclusion is that sin either revealed an underlying princple of God's government (violence), or sin added an element to it which wasn't there before (violence).

That is, if the violence is instigated by God, then it must be a principle of His government. If we believe God the way God solves problems is by violence, it seems to me this has profound implications. It also seems to me that if Christ's purpose was to reveal God's character, and God's character is founded on violence, Christ did an awfully poor job, because one can hardly imaging a less violent person than Jesus Christ.

Thanks for the responses! I hope I'm being clear.

Re: Does God require violence? #17088
02/15/06 06:03 PM
02/15/06 06:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Violence may not be the best word to describe the justice of God. Throughout the OT Jesus used disease and destruction to punish and/or discipline sinners.

Romans
12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [rather] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [is] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Re: Does God require violence? #17089
02/15/06 06:44 PM
02/15/06 06:44 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The rest of the text shows the vengeance of God, how it is that God repays:

quote:
19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Please note that God is not asking us to do anything other than what He does. Christ overcame evil with good. He turned the other cheek, walked the second mile. God is simply asking us to be like Hime.

A distorted understanding of this text would be "I'd really like to bash this guy, but I'm supposed to leave vengeance with God, so I'll control myself and let God bash him."

Regarding understanding God's justice as violence, it's certainly true that this would be a bad characterization of it. God's justice is setting things right:

quote:
18 Therefore the LORD will wait, that He may be gracious to you; And therefore He will be exalted, that He may have mercy on you. For the LORD is a God of justice; Blessed are all those who wait for Him. (Isa. 30:18)
God longs to be gracious and merciful to us because He is a God of justice. Justice is setting things right, and the way God does this is through grace and mercy.

quote:
“Thus says the LORD of hosts:

‘ Execute true justice,
Show mercy and compassion
Everyone to his brother. (Zech. 7:9)

God's justice is manifest by mercy and compassion, whether by God Himself or by us.

Re: Does God require violence? #17090
02/16/06 03:55 AM
02/16/06 03:55 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Hi Tom,
I was just reading the above scripture in Romans 12: 19-21 beginning of this week, and the message you posted above was very clear to me. I thought those same thoughts that you posted.

Re: Does God require violence? #17091
02/16/06 03:02 PM
02/16/06 03:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, even a casual perusal of the OT makes it abundantly clear that Jesus did not exact vengeance by turning the other cheek. The Flood, the fiery devastation of Sodom and Gomorrah, the plagues of Egypt, and the repetitious times the Jews were afflicted with disease and destruction are all common examples of how Jesus meted out justice. The fruit of vengeance is fear and obedience – fear of retribution and the joy of obedience.

SC 21 22
… the exceeding rewards for right-doing, the enjoyment of heaven, the society of the angels, the communion and love of God and His Son, the elevation and extension of all our powers throughout eternal ages--are these not mighty incentives and encouragements to urge us to give the heart's loving service to our Creator and Redeemer? {SC 21.3}

And, on the other hand, the judgments of God pronounced against sin, the inevitable retribution, the degradation of our character, and the final destruction, are presented in God's word to warn us against the service of Satan. {SC 21.4}

Re: Does God require violence? #17092
02/16/06 03:54 PM
02/16/06 03:54 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, even a casual perusal of the OT makes it abundantly clear that Jesus did not exact vengeance by turning the other cheek.
It seems far more likely to me that you are misunderstanding the Old Testatement than that God's character changed. However, you're in good company, because even holy angels did not understand things fully until Christ's revelation.

quote:
Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion. (DA 758)
Remember, the whole purpose of Christ's ministry was to reveal God to us. If it was already known what God was like, there would not have been a need for Christ to reveal the truth.

Christ came to clear away the misconceptions. Take, for example, the disciples, who appear to have had the same view you are espousing. They suggested that they should call fire down from heaven to destroy, just as they (and apparently you) misunderstood was God's way as revealed in the Old Testament. How did Christ respond? Did He say, "Not now. That's a good idea, but this isn't the right time?" No! He responded, "You know not of what spirit you are."

Indeed, Christ put his finger on the problem.

Re: Does God require violence? #17093
02/16/06 06:03 PM
02/16/06 06:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, my understanding of Jesus' behaviour in the OT is NOT based on Jesus' behaviour while He walked the earth as a man. His mission was different in both cases, as will be His mission at the end of time. Hear what the angels say about Jesus' end time mission of vengeance and retribution:

Revelation
16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.
16:6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.
16:7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous [are] thy judgments.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!