HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Does God require violence? #17094
02/16/06 06:14 PM
02/16/06 06:14 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, my understanding of Jesus' behaviour in the OT is NOT based on Jesus' behaviour while He walked the earth as a man.
Yes, this is the problem. This would make a good topic.

quote:
His mission was different in both cases, as will be His mission at the end of time.
The mission has always been the same. There's no difference at any time. The mission is to eradicate sin. The means is the same, which is to reveal truth.

The character of God is unchanging. "I am the Lord. I change not."

Consider the following:

quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. (DA 22)
God was misapprended. For this reason Christ came to show what God was really like. God didn't change in any way; Christ simply made clear what God was always like.

Another point to make is that your view of God's character appears to be distorted, as compare to Christ's view. I'll explain why. Christ explained that what He did is what He saw God doing, and what He said is what He heard Him saying. How did He know what God did and said? From the Scriptures.

So what we see in Christ is nothing more nor less than His view of what God was doing and saying in the Scriptures. Christ is a demonstration of what God is like. The mere fact that you see a different God in the Old Testament than what Jesus Christ presented shows your perspective is different than Christ's. I believe Christ's perspective was correct.

Re: Does God require violence? #17095
02/16/06 10:00 PM
02/16/06 10:00 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Bro Tom,

That's an interesting question. Here's my take (sans references for lack of time).

God is a consuming fire to sin. I don't think such "violence" is a new thing. I believe it has always been that way, and always will be.

Before Satan made a mess of things, this principle was never manifested. But when sin entered, the violence suddenly had an object to act upon. We see that on the cross when Christ became sin for us.

Another aspect to consider is the fact that only God has life unborrowed, underived. The rest of us live only by receiving life from Him.

Sin separates us from God. And apart from God, there is no life. We can see some of the unsavory consequences of that when we consider the Israelites' experience with the fiery serpents.

Looping back to the cross, we see Christ lifted up as the likeness of the serpent was lifted up in the desert, and took upon Himself the wrath of God. And those who refuse to be crucified in the likeness of His death will have to take God's wrath upon themselves in the Lake of Fire.

Re: Does God require violence? #17096
02/16/06 11:19 PM
02/16/06 11:19 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Very nice response asygo (Arnold?).

quote:
Sin separates us from God. And apart from God, there is no life.
Excellent.

Re: Does God require violence? #17097
02/17/06 12:23 AM
02/17/06 12:23 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Arnold works. So does asygo, if you prefer.

Re: Does God require violence? #17098
02/17/06 02:44 AM
02/17/06 02:44 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the God of the OT was Jesus. I am convinced that Jesus acted differently toward people in the OT than He does in the NT. Jesus has never used plagues, for instance, in the NT to motivate people to fulfill His will.

Sin causes separation, not the other way around. Jesus doesn't withdraw His sustaining grace before we sin. I'm not saying you or Arnold are saying the opposite, but there are SDAs who believe otherwise.

Also, it is separation from the fruit of the tree of life that causes death. And, separation from the breath of life causes death. The presence of God, however, causes sinners to die. Separation from God allows them to live.

Re: Does God require violence? #17099
02/17/06 04:47 AM
02/17/06 04:47 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, the God of the OT was Jesus.
Not from Christ's perspective. He didn't say, "What I see Myself doing, I do." "What I hear Myself say, I say." He said, "What I see My Father do, I do. What I hear Him say, I say." When Christ studied the Old Testament, it was not Himself He saw, but the Father. That's just what He said.

Remember that His job was not to represent Himself, but His Father. That is, Christ's purpose was to reveal God. Actually, that's always been His purpose. In the Old Testatament, that was His purpose as well.

quote:
I am convinced that Jesus acted differently toward people in the OT than He does in the NT.
That's not what He says. He says, "I am the Lord. I change not."

quote:
Jesus has never used plagues, for instance, in the NT to motivate people to fulfill His will.
Nor any other time. "I am the Lord. I change not." "Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power."

quote:
Sin causes separation, not the other way around.
This is correct. "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life."

quote:
Jesus doesn't withdraw His sustaining grace before we sin.
Or after. If He did, we'd be dead. We live only by the grace of God, in spite of the fact that we sin.

quote:
I'm not saying you or Arnold are saying the opposite, but there are SDAs who believe otherwise.
I don't know what you're responding to. Ah, I think you're talking about the idea that because we have a sinful nature we incur guilt. I don't know what that has to do with the question I raised.

quote:
Also, it is separation from the fruit of the tree of life that causes death.
No, it's separation from God. See the above quote.

quote:
And, separation from the breath of life causes death. The presence of God, however, causes sinners to die. Separation from God allows them to live.
I'm not following you. Separation from God causes death, not life. You've got this about as confused as possible. "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life." Note it doesn't say, "he separates himself from God, which allows him to continue to live." This reminds me when the serpent said, "you shall not surely die." Yes, you will! If you separate yourself from God, you will die, not live.

Re: Does God require violence? #17100
02/17/06 03:08 PM
02/17/06 03:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the God of the OT was Jesus. When Jesus was here He communed with the Father and then shared these insights with us. Besides, each member of the Godhead think and act alike.

Jesus used plagues in Egypt to fulfill His will. He even slaughtered the first born. Did He ever resort to such tactics while here? No! But He will employ plagues at the end of time. Does this mean He changes? No! It just means that sometimes He uses plagues and sometimes He doesn’t.

Jesus does not continue to sustain us with His grace for resisting temptation after we have started sinning. While we are in sin we are separated from His power to overcome sin. We cannot partake of the divine nature while we are sinning.

Partaking of the divine nature empowers us to resist temptation and to mature in the fruits of the Spirit - not to recover from sinning. It is repentance, another form of grace, that enables us to recover from sinning.

We cannot live, in our sinful state, in the presence of God. His separation, or absence, is necessary for our existence and survival. Even the 144,000 cannot survive in the presence of God until after they have been changed in the twinkling of an eye. Obviously, I am using the word "separation" in a different sense.

It is also true that we gradually die the first death because we do not have access to the fruit of the tree of life. It is equally true that we die when no longer possess the breath of life. Life, in our sinful state, is a miracle. It defies natural law. Adam and Eve should have suffered the second death the instant they sinned, but Jesus paid the penalty and bought the human race probation.

Re: Does God require violence? #17101
02/17/06 03:30 PM
02/17/06 03:30 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, the God of the OT was Jesus. When Jesus was here He communed with the Father and then shared these insights with us. Besides, each member of the Godhead think and act alike.
The insights which Christ shared were not based on some secret metaphysical process of transcental meditation. Christ learned what He did through the study of the Scriptures. All the Scriptures Christ has was the Old Testament.

I perceive you are not grasping the point I'm trying to make. It's a bit subtle, but very clear. Here it is. Jesus said, "What I see My Father doing, I do. What I see My Father saying, I say." What Christ saw and heard is what He saw of God in the Old Testament.

Christ was doing nothing more or less than revealing to us what it is He saw of God as He studied the Scriptures. The fact that you see God as acting in a schitzophrenic fashion shows that your vision and Christ's of God's character (i.e., the God of the Old Testament) are not in harmony.

quote:
Jesus used plagues in Egypt to fulfill His will. He even slaughtered the first born. Did He ever resort to such tactics while here? No! But He will employ plagues at the end of time. Does this mean He changes? No! It just means that sometimes He uses plagues and sometimes He doesn’t.
The Lord says, "I change not." Once again, Jesus' life was simply a presentation of God's character. It's clear you are not perceiving things the same way as Christ.

The purpose of the enemy is to present God in a negative way, and by this deception to lead us into rebellion. It appears to me that your view of the God of the Old Testament is the same as the Pharisees was.

quote:
Jesus does not continue to sustain us with His grace for resisting temptation after we have started sinning. While we are in sin we are separated from His power to overcome sin. We cannot partake of the divine nature while we are sinning.
You're saying different things here. Regarding the first point, if God ceased to sustain us with His grace, that very moment we would die. So clearly God does continue to sustain us with His grace even though we sin.

Perhaps you mean something else, like God does not give us grace for the purpose of sinning. That's certainly true.

Partaking of the divine nature is something entirely different than simply being sustaing by God's grace. The former involves faith on the part of the believer, whereas God's grace sustains all, whether believers or unbelievers.

quote:
Partaking of the divine nature empowers us to resist temptation and to mature in the fruits of the Spirit - not to recover from sinning. It is repentance, another form of grace, that enables us to recover from sinning.

We cannot live, in our sinful state, in the presence of God. His separation, or absence, is necessary for our existence and survival.

So God is not present here? I think what you mean is that we could not survive should God fully reveal His glory. That is true. However, the idea that we live because God separates Himself from us is ill-founded. As I demonstrated from the quote of DA 764, when the sinner chooses to separate himself from God, the result is not life, but death. If God were to separate Himself from us now, we would die, not live. We need God in order to live.

quote:
Even the 144,000 cannot survive in the presence of God until after they have been changed in the twinkling of an eye. Obviously, I am using the word "separation" in a different sense.
Yes, apparently you are using "separation" in the sense of "not a full revelation of God's glory" which is an odd usage of the word.

quote:
It is also true that we gradually die the first death because we do not have access to the fruit of the tree of life.
We die the first death because of sin. It is sin that causes death, whether the first or second.

quote:
It is equally true that we die when no longer possess the breath of life. Life, in our sinful state, is a miracle. It defies natural law. Adam and Eve should have suffered the second death the instant they sinned, but Jesus paid the penalty and bought the human race probation.
This probably means something different to you than it does to me, but I agree with what you've written here.

Incidently, just as Adam and Eve should have suffered the second death the instant they sinned, so too should have the evil angels suffered the second death the moment they sinned. Their life is as much a miracle as Adam and Eve's.

Re: Does God require violence? #17102
02/17/06 03:56 PM
02/17/06 03:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please refrain from using harsh adjectives and unkind titles to refute my view of salvation. Thank you.

Re: Does God require violence? #17103
02/17/06 05:20 PM
02/17/06 05:20 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Are you referring to "schitzophrenic"? Or did you have something else in mind? I re-read the post, and that was the only thing I could think of that you might have in mind by "harsh adjectives" and "unkind titles".

I re-read my posts before I send them, and try to weed out things which are too harsh or unkind, but I may have missed something. What did you have in mind? What alternative would you suggest to the words I used?

Do you have any comment about the content of the post?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!