HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Does God require violence? #17134
02/24/06 12:09 AM
02/24/06 12:09 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't think God required the violence of the cross. He did require Christ to suffer for Himself the treatment which we earned because of sin, which was infinitely worse than the physical suffering He endured. That is the "violence" of God's wrath against sin.

The agony which Christ suffered was the mental anguish of sin. This is not something God did to Him. All God did was continue to be God. It was Him bearing our sin, and the impact of that upon Him, that caused His death. All of the violence involved here was because of sin, not any special action on God's part.

God's wrath is His giving up the sinner. Notice Jesus cried out, "My God, my God; why hast thou forsaken me. Although even being forsaken is not something God actually does, but is the effect that sin creates on the mind. God was actually closer to Jesus on the cross than at any other time of His life. He left heaven to be with His Son at Golgatha, shrouding His glory, so the miserable creatures killing His Son wouldn't be destroyed.

What if the Jews accepted Christ? Would they have to crucify Him?

No, the Romans could have done that by themselves. But then, if the Jews had accepted Christ, maybe the Romans would have repented too.

I've thought about that, and the best answer I've come up with is that they would have to sacrifice Him as the Lamb of God.

Why? For what purpose? God didn't need a sacrifice. The sacrifice was for them. If they accept Him, there's no need for them to kill Him. Actually there never was a need for them to kill Him. They killed Him because they hated Him.

A lot less violent physically, but would still meet the requirement of Him taking our stripes so we can be healed. He can avoid much of Violence#2, but still get the fullness of Violence#1.

There's no arbitrary requirement for Christ to suffer violence in order for us to be healed. That doesn't make any sense, does it? Look at what Isaiah says:

quote:
4 Surely he took up our infirmities
and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
smitten by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

It says we esteemed Him smitted of God, but He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities. In other words, we thought God was doing something to Him, but it turns out, it was us! As Walt Kelly said in Pogo, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

Re: Does God require violence? #17135
02/24/06 02:54 PM
02/24/06 02:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ewall:
You were being sarcastic, or obtuse, in your characterization of my position.

quote:
Also, I do not believe nature, if left to itself, would single us out with the intention of killing us to satisfy its lust for human blood.
How can you not recognize this as sarcasm? Unless you're being obtuse. [Wink]
Tom, are you calling me stupid, dull-witted, thickheaded, imperceptible, or insensitive? What do you mean by calling me obtuse? You are welcome to believe what I posted about my characterization of sin and nature. But you are not welcome to call me obtuse.

Re: Does God require violence? #17136
02/24/06 03:51 PM
02/24/06 03:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the physical abuse Jesus received at the hands of the Romans was actually inconsequential compared to the soul anguish He suffered on Gethsemane and on the cross. I believe His soul anguish was caused by something our heavenly Father did.

I believe much of what the Father did was a mystery. We cannot totally understand it or completely explain it. We know He prevented Jesus from sensing His divine presence, and that this caused both of them great pain and sorrow. But there was more, much more, going on, things our dull minds will never be able to comprehend. We short change the cross, Christ, and ourselves if we think that’s all there was to Jesus’ soul anguish.

We know Jesus felt the woe and wrath of God, that He realized God’s hatred toward sin. Jesus had become sin for us and He felt the full brunt of God’s anger against sin – as if He were sin itself. We cannot know how much God hates sin, but we know He treated Jesus as if He were sin itself.

I cannot imagine God cutting sin any slack. I cannot imagine Him withholding one ounce of hatred and anger. I see, with limited perception, God unleashing all His pent up wrath and anger. To minimize how God treated Jesus on the cross is to undermine how much He hates sin.

And Jesus endured the combined wrath of God against sin as if He were sin itself. If we view things in this manner, rather than remembering how much the Father and Son love each other, I believe we can better understand just how much wrath Jesus really felt at the hands of an angry God.

It is easier for me to envision God taking out His hatred and vengeance upon sin than it is for me to imagine Him taking it out on Jesus. As such, I cannot begin to fathom the soul anguish Jesus suffered. Nor can I imagine God withholding His anger, or limiting His vengeance for any reason.

Such a display of wrath against sin is necessary for the salvation of man and the eternal security of the universe. Had God held back even one ounce of His wrath He and Jesus would have come short of saving us, and the entire universe would have been in peril. God could not risk losing everything by showing sin (i.e., Jesus) any sympathy on the cross.

Re: Does God require violence? #17137
02/25/06 04:45 AM
02/25/06 04:45 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you for communicating your thoughts on this. This was exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. You have clearly articulated several key elements which we should understand.

I would like to start a thread on what you've written here, quoting from your post here. Is that all right with you?

Re: Does God require violence? #17138
02/27/06 03:53 PM
02/27/06 03:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
By all means, Tom. Be my quest. I look forward to studying it further.

Re: Does God require violence? #17139
02/28/06 04:37 AM
02/28/06 04:37 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thanks, MM.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!