HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: APL] #174057
06/09/15 02:34 PM
06/09/15 02:34 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: asygo
Again - there is not separate soul apart from the real physical body.

False Dichotomy.
Do you believe in a separate soul?

No. That's why what you're proclaiming is a false dichotomy.

And I think you see the problem. That's why you refuse to plainly answer my simple questions. I just hope that it is also clear to whoever reads this thread.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: APL] #174058
06/09/15 02:39 PM
06/09/15 02:39 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
What survives in death in the memory of God is the pattern of how to recreate us.

Is this pattern a PHYSICAL object that resides in another PHYSICAL object called the memory of God?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: Daryl] #174063
06/09/15 03:36 PM
06/09/15 03:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL, I would appreciate it if you would answer Arnold's question (see his last post above - #174058).

Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: asygo] #174085
06/10/15 10:33 AM
06/10/15 10:33 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: asygo

The wondrous works of God are a mystery to man. The spirit, the character of man, is returned to God, there to be preserved. In the resurrection every man will have his own character. God in His own time will call forth the dead, giving again the breath of life, and bidding the dry bones live. The same form will come forth, but it will be free from disease and every defect. {Hvn 40.1}

A few facts from this: It's a mystery. Man's spirit/character returns to God and is preserved. The dead are raised when God gives the breath of life. While the raised will have the same character, their bodies will be different.

Note the last sentence in the quote. Please answer this simple question: Is the PATTERN God uses to restore a man exactly the same as the pattern He preserved at death?

I’m interested in studying this subject. I hope you don’t mind me budding in. I watch ¾ of the video and read up to page 3 of this discussion.

I believe we have some confusion with what is the soul versus what is the Spirit. I agree with the video presentation which portray the soul/character is in the mind-brain. I think this is in harmony with what the Bible teach.

Let’s go to Gn 2:7 and see what Hebrew words was used to define a soul :

AV Gn 2:7 And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath[nashamah] of life; and man became a living soul[nephesh].

First notice that the Hebrew word Ruach is not used in this text. Ruach is the word that denotes the Holy Spirit, but it can also mean breath or wind. Genesis 2:7 used nshamah for the breath of life. Strong defines the word as follow : "a puff, i.e. wind, angry or vital breath, divine inspiration, intellect. or (concretely) an animal." It’s root word is nasham which means “properly, to blow away, i.e. destroy.

In Ecc 12:7 it is the Spirit[ruach] of God that return to Him. It doesn’t mention about what happen to the breath[nshamah]. However, in Job 34:14 it implies that both the Spirit[ruach] and the breath[nshamah] returns to Lord. (AV Jb 34:14 If he set his heart upon man, [if] he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath; )

So this is what I’m understanding:
1- Man is made of dust(particles) of the earth (full body & brain)
2- The breath[nshamah] of life is blown in man. The breath here is a vital breath to give life like an animal and not to be confused with the Holy Spirit.
3- Man becomes a “living soul”[nephesh]
Strong defines nephesh , "properly a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental)."

I see the following inconsistencies with what scriptures say :
1- We do the error of equating the breath of life in Gn 2:7 as the Spirit [ruach] which is NOT.
2- We mix up the soul(which has our character) with the Spirit thinking that the character returns to God. It is His Spirit that return to Him, the Bible doesn’t say no where that our character returns to Him.

Blessings
Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: Elle] #174087
06/10/15 01:39 PM
06/10/15 01:39 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Elle
So this is what I’m understanding:
1- Man is made of dust(particles) of the earth (full body & brain)
2- The breath[nshamah] of life is blown in man. The breath here is a vital breath to give life like an animal and not to be confused with the Holy Spirit.
3- Man becomes a “living soul”[nephesh]
Strong defines nephesh , "properly a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental)."

I see the following inconsistencies with what scriptures say :
1- We do the error of equating the breath of life in Gn 2:7 as the Spirit [ruach] which is NOT.
2- We mix up the soul(which has our character) with the Spirit thinking that the character returns to God. It is His Spirit that return to Him, the Bible doesn’t say no where that our character returns to Him.

When "something" has LIFE, by definition, it means that it has the potential to reproduce its own kind. These are living things: plants, animals, human beings, GOD. But these things are non-living objects: chair, table, books, rocks, etc. You get the picture. Human beings were made in the image and likeness of God because we were made to resemble Him, to reproduce ourselves at will just like Him, and to conceptualize and realize ideas just like Him. But the material to accomplish those things was "of the earth": our entire being is material. God told Adam, "Dust you are, and to dust you shall return." When you die, all that you are returns to the earth, but the LIFE that you have (the person YOU are), is preserved here.

God illustrated this by making Jesus Christ THE example, of which David spoke.

Originally Posted By: Psalm 16:8-11
I have set the LORD always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

In other words, when we die, we do NOT go out of existence so that God has to recreate a clone of us. Rather, beyond all human comprehension and science, THE PERSON of our being is put into deep sleep in the womb of the earth as it were until He awakens us and calls us forth, born again, on the Third .... er, sorry, I meant to say ... on the the Last Day. (See Rom. 1:1-4 cf. Hosea 6:1-2)

But SDA preach another gospel saying, "You shall surely die; but be of good cheer, your perfect clone (a creature recreated to be just like you in every way) will live forever instead." They err, not knowing the word or the promise or the prophecy or the power or the glory of God.

///

Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: James Peterson] #174089
06/10/15 03:22 PM
06/10/15 03:22 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: James Peterson

But SDA preach another gospel saying, "You shall surely die; but be of good cheer, your perfect clone (a creature recreated to be just like you in every way) will live forever instead." They err, not knowing the word or the promise or the prophecy or the power or the glory of God.

///

??? James SDAs does not believe this. You should do your homework about their beliefs.

Blessings
Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: James Peterson] #174090
06/10/15 03:32 PM
06/10/15 03:32 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Psalm 16:8-11
I have set the LORD always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

In other words, when we die, we do NOT go out of existence so that God has to recreate a clone of us. Rather, beyond all human comprehension and science, THE PERSON of our being is put into deep sleep in the womb of the earth as it were until He awakens us and calls us forth, born again, on the Third .... er, sorry, I meant to say ... on the the Last Day. (See Rom. 1:1-4 cf. Hosea 6:1-2)

///

James explain what you understand the Bible describe what the soul is? Is the body the same as the soul? What returns to dust ? and what goes to sleep? Explain what does Ps 16:10 means with our soul goes Sheol? And does the soul differ from our spirit? And what about the Spirit of God when we are born again? Is that different from man's spirit? And what does return to God according to Ecc 12:9? Spirit of man or God's spirit or both?

These are questions that we should seek to be able to answer with scriptures.

Blessings
Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: Elle] #174102
06/10/15 06:25 PM
06/10/15 06:25 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

??? James SDAs does not believe this. You should do your homework about their beliefs.

Of course they do. Here, from Pastor Doug Batchelor's Amazing Facts website on the state of the dead:

Quote:
Ques. 3. At death the body returns to dust and the spirit (or breath) returns to God. But where does the soul go?

Ans: It goes nowhere. Instead, it simply ceases to exist. Two things must be combined to make a soul: body and breath. When the breath departs, the soul ceases to exist because it is a combination of two things. When you turn off a light, where does the light go? It doesn't go anywhere. It just ceases to exist. Two things must combine to make a light: a bulb and electricity. Without the combination, a light is impossible. So with the soul; unless body and breath are combined, there can be no soul. There is no such thing as a disembodied soul.

Source: Amazing Facts: Are the dead really dead?

Put plainly, they teach that you go out of existence at death; because you are just body and breath, which when separated, makes you non-existent. In the resurrection then, that which will be, according to them, is merely a remarkably perfect clone of you.

///

Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: Elle] #174105
06/10/15 06:54 PM
06/10/15 06:54 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
James:
  1. Explain what you understand the Bible describe what the soul is? Is the body the same as the soul? What returns to dust ? and what goes to sleep?
  2. Explain what does Ps 16:10 means with our soul goes Sheol? And does the soul differ from our spirit? And what about the Spirit of God when we are born again? Is that different from man's spirit?
  3. And what does return to God according to Ecc 12:9? Spirit of man or God's spirit or both?
These are questions that we should seek to be able to answer with scriptures.

In a little while I will get back to you about this. In the mean while, you can read Psalm 100.

///

Re: Human Nature, Neuroscience, and the Soul [Re: James Peterson] #174110
06/11/15 01:15 AM
06/11/15 01:15 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
]

Of course they do. Here, from Pastor Doug Batchelor's Amazing Facts website on the state of the dead:

Quote:
Ques. 3. At death the body returns to dust and the spirit (or breath) returns to God. But where does the soul go?

Ans: It goes nowhere. Instead, it simply ceases to exist. Two things must be combined to make a soul: body and breath. When the breath departs, the soul ceases to exist because it is a combination of two things. When you turn off a light, where does the light go? It doesn't go anywhere. It just ceases to exist. Two things must combine to make a light: a bulb and electricity. Without the combination, a light is impossible. So with the soul; unless body and breath are combined, there can be no soul. There is no such thing as a disembodied soul.

Source: Amazing Facts: Are the dead really dead?

Put plainly, they teach that you go out of existence at death; because you are just body and breath, which when separated, makes you non-existent. In the resurrection then, that which will be, according to them, is merely a remarkably perfect clone of you.

///

Yes I know about we(SDAs) combine body + breath = soul. I now see that this equation is not correct and it is a mis-understanding of Gen 2:7. It is true that any living creature is dependant of the breath of life. Just because that text refers to the breathing man as a "living soul" doesn't prove that equation is correct. There's a reason man is mainly refered to a "soul" because it is the mind(intellect) that is the boss of the body. Like that video showed in the scientific data, it is in the brain-mind that our character is located.

My current understanding is man is body, mind(soul), and spirit. What I see scripture saying is our body(& physcial brain) returns to dust, our soul goes to sheol, and our spirit returns to God.

What you say in quote is not what SDA believe. I think you are adding(extending) to what Doug said quite a bit. Not all SDAs believe like Doug Batchelor. Actually it was the first I ever heard that the soul vanish. I think what I remember hearing from some of my church is they believe that the soul goes back to the ground with the body. I agree with that.

Blessings
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!