HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y), 2,288 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 25 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 24 25
Re: It has been done! #20553
03/03/06 01:27 PM
03/03/06 01:27 PM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
I think if anyone has the time, it would be interesting to tally the unanswered questions in this thread.

Darius, I guess you feel the majority of my questions were irrelevent?

Jeff

Re: It has been done! #20554
03/03/06 01:51 PM
03/03/06 01:51 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
No tally is needed. Just point to one.

Re: It has been done! #20555
03/03/06 02:53 PM
03/03/06 02:53 PM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
Darius,

Here’s one example:
quote:
Darius, are you now defending Satan? Saying that Satan did nothing wrong implies that it was God’s fault. To clarify your point, please tell who you believe is to blame for Eve eating the fruit? Is it Eve, the serpent, or God, or was it both Eve and the serpent, or Eve and God, or the serpent and God, or, perhaps were all three to blame?
Your “answer” was:
quote:
Jeff, something is wrong with the philosophy that one who is accused does not deserved to be treated fairly. Why would you suggest that I am defending Satan because I spoke the truth about what happened. I am also concerned about the dualistic thinking that assumes that to say that Lucifer did nothing wrong automatically blames God. However, the fact that Lucifer was not immediately destroyed is evidence that God did not blame him. I don't expect you to see this because you probably are as influenced with the vengeance thinking that is throughout Christianity. We just don't understand grace and love. Vengeance is what moves us. Sadly.
Your answer was ambiguous. I knew little more about your position after you answered it than before. From your answer I got the idea that you didn’t want to say that you were defending Satan, but you did not state that you weren’t. Also, the other question about who was to blame for eating the fruit went unanswered except that instead of knowing who you felt was to blame, you only told me that Lucifer was not to blame. So I asked more directly hoping to get a more direct answer:

quote:
I am asking if you are defending Satan, I am not assuming so. Your statements made it *seem* that 1) you are indeed defending Satan, and 2) that Satan’s innocence implies that God is to blame. Before I assume anything about what you believe, I am asking directly. So, again I ask 1) are you defending Satan, and 2) who is to blame for Eve eating the fruit.
These questions remain unanswered. Direct answers to the questions would take a similar form of:

I [am or am not] defending Satan and here’s why I say that…

I believe that [x] is to blame for Eve eating the fruit and here’s why I believe this…

Accusing me of “dualistic thinking” and being ”influenced with the vengeance thinking that is throughout Christianity” does not answer the questions I asked. But please, by all means, feel free to give direct answers now.

Jeff

Re: It has been done! #20556
03/03/06 03:07 PM
03/03/06 03:07 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Jeff, you just proved my point. Instead of dealing with what I had argued you raised a red herring. The discussion was not centered on whether Satan was responsible or not but on what made the Plan of Salvation necessary. My analysis of the question showed that it would require an entire thread to decide whether Satan needed a defense before even considering whether I am in a position to defend him. The outcome of that discussion could never change the facts I had presented to you. The serpent did not lie when he said "you will be like god knowing good and evil." Instead of admitting to the truth of that fact you thought you could paint me with the label of "Satan lover." I refuse to dignify such a tactic.

Re: It has been done! #20557
03/03/06 03:36 PM
03/03/06 03:36 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Darius:
I beg to differ. The reason why we have so many different possibilities is because we have refused to apply commonsense to the biblical text. We have dispensed with any reliable method of interpretation. This means we can ignore facts we don't like and people will accept the conclusions as long as they like us or they agree with their own conclusions. That is confusion, aka Babylon.

Not only must we not ignore facts, we must consider all the facts. Also, this post together with your last post to Jeff illustrates my point that not enough communication has taken place in this thread.

In my previous post, I was not trying to identify how you view this thread, I was merely telling you how I (and apparently at least some others) find your posts in this thread. Overobvious is better than murky, to much information better than to scarse.

/Thomas

Re: It has been done! #20558
03/03/06 03:50 PM
03/03/06 03:50 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
But the information must be relevant and persuasive. Quoting to me what John says about X is not very persuasive on its face if there is a possibility that John may have misconstrued X. Here is a good example. Generally, everyone will agree that a rescue operation is an act of love. We rescue individuals because they deserve to be rescued by virtue of the fact that they are members of society. Yet, many have taken Paul's unfortunate choice of language to present rescue/salvation as an act of grace, claiming that the human race did not deserve to be saved but God did it anyhow. From this error they are forced to misinterpret the Genesis story so as to present the human race as being in rebellion.

Re: It has been done! #20559
03/04/06 04:01 AM
03/04/06 04:01 AM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
Darius, you just proved my point. Rather than directly answer questions about your position, you just accuse. There’s no “tactic”. I am just trying to understand what you’re really saying. I’m not trying to paint you as anything…you paint yourself by how you respond. I am, however, trying to pin you down on exactly what it is that you believe because at the moment, that’s pretty vague. It’s difficult to discuss ideas when we don’t really know exactly what the idea is. I’m not trying to be your adversary. Please stop acting as if this is so and you probably won’t feel that I am an adversary.

To answer my question, you would not have required an entire thread to determine if Satan needed defending, because that was not what I asked. It was a simple yes or no question. “Are you defending Satan?” Of course getting an explanation for the yes or no answer would just have been pudding but I didn’t even get the direct yes or no.

A any rate, I suppose I can infer from your most recent response that you don’t believe you were trying to defend Satan since you feel that it would take an entire thread to decide if Satan even needed a defense. So I’ll just take it that your answer is “no”, you’re not defending Satan.

But just as a correction, you did not earlier say that “the serpent did not lie when he said ‘you will be like god knowing good and evil’”. You just said the serpent told no lies, which includes that Eve would not surely die. Of course I refuse to admit that the serpent didn’t lie, but not for the reason you state. It’s because we know from the Biblical record and have confirmation in the SOP that the serpent did indeed lie to Eve, and God did indeed hold the serpent responsible.

Still the other question is unanswered. Who do you say is to blame for Eve eating the fruit? That’s an easy question to answer. You don’t need an entire thread to discuss it. It’s YOUR opinion. Just state it and be done with it. Knowing this will help me understand your position better on what made the plan of salvation necessary. Of course it would also help if you clearly stated what you think made the plan of salvation necessary. But if you feel you’ve answered this, could you point to the particular post where you made this clear?

Jeff

Re: It has been done! #20560
03/04/06 04:17 AM
03/04/06 04:17 AM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
Darius, I assume we can agree that Paul is a member of the set of Bible authors. We believe the Bible authors were inspired. If Paul, an inspired writer, erred in his exposition of grace, how then do you trust Moses? If Paul’s writings don’t coincide with your worldview, does that necessarily mean that Paul erred? Does that necessarily mean that people who don’t share your worldview are wrong? I’m sorry though that I keep asking questions, especially since experience has taught me in the last days that questions will only beget more ambiguity.

Jeff

Re: It has been done! #20561
03/04/06 04:32 AM
03/04/06 04:32 AM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Jeff, I hope you can accept that what occurred could only have occurred if Eve had not heard it from God that she was not to eat of the tree. The serpent's first words were in the form of a question. "Has God said . . .?" In so doing he reveals why Moses wrote that he was clever. By simply asking that question he aligned himself with Eve. She had been informed by Adam and it is obvious that he also needed to be informed. But, she immediately saw the problem in what was inferred which negates the idea that she foolishly followed the serpent into rebellion. She corrected the serpents over-statement but essentially trapped herself when she added Adam's overstatement. God had never said "Don't touch it."

Before we go on, do you find any lie spoken by the serpent here?

Re: It has been done! #20562
03/04/06 04:35 AM
03/04/06 04:35 AM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Jeff, we are at the crux of the matter. You think that inspiration is something enjoyed by only a few and that it also assigns infallibility to its recipients. That is demonstrably false. Inspiration is simply a means of communication. It is the way in which humans understand what is beyond them. All men are inspired. Saying that X is inspired adds nothing to the discussion. What we do with what we receive is much more important than what we receive. Paul understood that and informed us that he only understood in part. Why do we reject his opinion and claim that he fully understood?

So, it not that I trust or do not trust Paul or Moses. I accept what they have said and see whether it models reality. If if does not then I try to understand what was happening when they wrote. Everything is subject to testing. Nothing human is accepted on face value.

Page 16 of 25 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 24 25

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!