HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41680
12/08/01 01:26 AM
12/08/01 01:26 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Don't forget that God has foreknowledge. He said what He said based on His foreknowledge.

Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41681
12/08/01 09:37 PM
12/08/01 09:37 PM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Kristina, we do not have souls. We ARE souls. The bible says a body plus breath = a soul. You can twist it all ways to fit your beliefs, but if you stop breathing, you are no longer a soul. And if you never took a breath, you aren't a soul. Potential is just that.

When God spoke about Jeremiah, He wasn't talking about cells. He was talking about his foreknowledge of Jeremiah. The text says "BEFORE I formed thee in the belly", so this was nothing to do with conception. God was speaking about even before that. The fact that God has foreknowledge has no bearing on the subject of whether He chooses that every conception grow to fruition. Or that He ordains every conception. That's like saying because He knew sin would exist, and made plans in advance, He ordained it.

I don't agree with the practice of cloning - animals or humans - to grow them to maturity. There are few justifiable reasons to do this. But if cloning a few stem cells of your own can mean you don't have to live on anti-rejection drugs for the rest of your life, then I believe there is good reason for this. (The technology hasn't reached that stage yet, anyway.)

I think the question still boils down to whether at conception something sacred has occurred. If someone is raped, and they become pregnant, has something sacred occurred?

Does anyone on this forum suffer from any diseases that are genetically-based? Or have a child or relative who has diabetes or a more devastating condition? Please don't tell me two days of growth in a lab dish has an automatic claim on life, just because it has all the information to grow into a person. And that bunch of cells has the potential to ease, cure and prevent untold suffering among those already in existence.

Andrew, this is not an "either/or" topic. Both life, AND choice are sacred. They aren't mutually exclusive. Choice is so sacred that God allowed His Son to die, rather than enforce His rules by other means, or re-making our brains. Thank you for your comments re not doubting people's sincerity on this matter. The Catholic-driven anti-abortion lobby is also the most vocal against this research. They have managed to taint the thinking of many people about ethical issues, and the world blindly follows. And the whole theology is based on the immortal soul which comes into existence at the moment of conception.

If the preservation of life is so absolute, why did many Seventh-day Adventists protest loudly when one of our medical institutions transplanted a babboon's heart into a baby in an attempt to save the child's life?

Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41682
12/09/01 03:50 AM
12/09/01 03:50 AM
K
Kristina  Offline
Posting New Member
Somewhere in the Arizona deser...
quote:
Originally posted by zyph:
Kristina, we do not have souls. We ARE souls.

I know that. I just meant I don't know *when* it occurs - when we actually are born and draw our first breath, or when we are alive in our mother's wombs. I just didn't phrase it well.

quote:
The bible says a body plus breath = a soul. You can twist it all ways to fit your beliefs

And my beliefs are???? I'm not twisting anything - I didn't choose the best way to describe something is all. I don't appreciate the accusation, particularly since it is false. My previous post was a series of *questions* - it was not a statement of beliefs on the subject. I asked those questions because those are questions I *have*, and I thought I would like to see some discussion about them.

If I have a point to make, I'll come out and make it. I won't twist, imply, or ask questions in order to make a point without having to actually say it. I'm pretty direct and straightforward, and I don't play word games or have hidden agendas. [And this is not to say that you or anyone else thought I do -- I'm just making myself clear is all.]

quote:
Does anyone on this forum suffer from any diseases that are genetically-based? Or have a child or relative who has diabetes or a more devastating condition?

Yes - and that has to do with if one believes something is right or wrong how? I thought you disliked people basing their opinions on this subject on emotion -- my *feelings* about my son's condition have nothing to do with whether or not cloning is right or wrong.

Kristina

Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41683
12/09/01 09:37 AM
12/09/01 09:37 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Kristina, the only sentence in that paragraph directed at you was the one about "we are souls". When I said "you can twist it" etc, I was using a generic "you", and I think I was simply expounding on the body + breath thing. I know I definitely wasn't thinking that you were twisting things, and I really apologise that I've offended you. One thought I had in mind was about those who believe in an immortal soul being conferred at conception, and I should have said "people", and done so in a new paragraph. I feel terrible that I've expressed myself so badly, and that I've hurt your feelings. I humbly apologise, and want to assure you that I wasn't challenging your integrity. My impression of you through your posts is that you are a kind christian woman, and you have a good heart.

The only point, therefore, that I'll respond to is my question about relatives with genetic-based diseases. I wasn't actually appealing to emotion in the sense you understood. I WAS appealing to understanding - the understanding of the pain and chronic suffering that those closest to these people develop. There is an appeal to emotion on both sides of the spectrum, but only those who have truly suffered or those who have observed the suffering, have a concept of what a cure might mean. (Obviously those already born or living with illness may not benefit.) You're absolutely correct in saying our feelings do not make something right or wrong. But you might agree that there are certain situations when the lesser of two evils must be decided, because there are no simple answers.

I'm sorry to hear that your son has the sort of health problem I referred to, and I wish you all the best as you support him.

Friends?

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: zyph ]

Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41684
12/09/01 10:06 PM
12/09/01 10:06 PM
K
Kristina  Offline
Posting New Member
Somewhere in the Arizona deser...
quote:
Originally posted by zyph:
Kristina, the only sentence in that paragraph directed at you was the one about "we are souls".

Ok - thanks for clearing that up and for the kind words. I'm sorry that I seemed to be *so* upset by your post -- I was bothered by what I thought you were saying, but I wasn't angry, if you understand what I mean. I'll have to work on conveying that more clearly.

quote:

The only point, therefore, that I'll respond to is my question about relatives with genetic-based diseases. I wasn't actually appealing to emotion in the sense you understood. I WAS appealing to understanding - the understanding of the pain and chronic suffering that those closest to these people develop. There is an appeal to emotion on both sides of the spectrum, but only those who have truly suffered or those who have observed the suffering, have a concept of what a cure might mean. (Obviously those already born or living with illness may not benefit.) You're absolutely correct in saying our feelings do not make something right or wrong. But you might agree that there are certain situations when the lesser of two evils must be decided, because there are no simple answers.

I'll definitely agree with you that there are no simple answers. That's why all I had were questions. Maybe I don't truly understand what you are saying with regard to the emotions/understanding of it, although my dad does have diabetes -- my son's conditions isn't going to kill him, or even make him physically ill. But I think that the discussion of whether or not cloning should be legal should be conducted separately from any considerations like that -- I think it will only obfuscate the issue.

quote:

Friends?

Absolutely. I like discussions - I even like disagreements, as long as it's not personal -- I [hopefully!] would never hold a grudge against anyone just because we disagreed.

Kristina

Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41685
12/09/01 11:13 PM
12/09/01 11:13 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
This may bring in a new direction to this discussion, but I just found out that the man who announced the cloning of human embryos was an Andrews University graduate!

Here's the article in the Student Movement:

Cloning Shocks Public
Andrews Graduate Sparks Controversy With Announcement
--------------------------
Erin FitzGerald, Editor-In-Chief

November 28, 2001 | The announcement of human embryo cloning splashed across the news on Sunday, catapulting Dr. Michael West, an Andrews University alum, into the media hot seat. As the CEO of Advanced Cell Technology, a small Worcester, Massachusetts scientific research firm Dr. West, who graduated from Andrews University in 1982 with an MS in Biology, instantly became the man of the hour.

The news sent shock waves through the scientific community, as well as the general public. The pope quickly denounced it and President Bush urged Senate to quickly push through legislation banning further research.

Senators, equally disturbed by the news, have decided to reconcile their differences and cease bickering over the cloning debate long enough to push through legislation. They’d previously decided to put off the debate until February or March.

The House passed a cloning ban in July that would make it illegal to clone human babies. The ban also prohibits the cloning of embryos for research, which is what ACT has announced their intentions to be.

The biggest debate among the American public is perhaps best summed up by a quote from Douglas Johnson of the National Right to Life Committee. "Unless Congress acts," said Johnson, "we’ll be reading that this company or another has opened a human embryo farm."

In Rome on Monday, the Vatican quickly condemned the cloning, saying that even the possibility of saving other human lives (via the cloning and growth of organs for transplants, etc.) does not justify the destruction of an embryo.

Daniel Perry, executive director of the Alliance for Aging Research countered with, "There is a big difference between cloning a human embryo in order to create a human being and using laboratory techniques to produce stem cells and other cellular therapies to treat diseases such as Parkinson’s, cancer or Alzheimer’s."

Senator Edward Kennedy (D) of Massachusetts touched upon the feelings of many Americans when he commented "I strongly oppose the use of cloning technology to reproduce a human being. But we must also protect essential areas of medical research involving cloning technology, including stem cell research. This research holds enormous promise for achieving breakthrough cures for the dreadful diseases that touch almost every family in America."
At this point Senate watchers said it’s unclear whether lobbyists would be able to force a vote on a cloning bill, being that the Senate’s already so busy with anti-terrorism and economic stimulus bills.

Dr. West was not available for comment at press time.

Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41686
12/10/01 01:58 AM
12/10/01 01:58 AM
Wendy F  Offline
Veteran Member
USA
Does anyone else notice a trend of Adventists being placed in a very bad light? Perhaps in the future this could be one of the reasons church members will want to disassociate themselves from the church? Makes you go hmmm.

Wendy

Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41687
12/10/01 03:24 AM
12/10/01 03:24 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
If any member of any church wants to disassociate himself or herelf from that church because of a negative situation resulting from an action of that member, then, could that person wishing to disassociate himself or herself be looking in the wrong direction, meaning on people, instead of on Christ?

Daryl

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41688
12/10/01 10:03 AM
12/10/01 10:03 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Kristina

Re: Embryos Created to be Destoryed for their Stem Cells #41689
12/11/01 02:19 AM
12/11/01 02:19 AM
Wendy F  Offline
Veteran Member
USA
Absolutely Daryl. We are to look to no man. Safety lies only in Jesus Christ.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!