HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44148
04/30/01 02:02 AM
04/30/01 02:02 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Some people use the following verse to say that God's grace has annulled His Law.

quote:

Romans 6:14 "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

Is this true? Does God's grace annul His Law?

Please use the Bible to back up your answers.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44149
04/30/01 12:31 PM
04/30/01 12:31 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
To annul something means to put an end to it, to make it void.
Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
We establish the law, the inference being that we have it as a part of us, it is established in us.
Jeremiah 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Jesus said He didn't come to destroy the law :
Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
To fulfil, to establish, that all sounds like it is still in effect.
'Til heaven and earth pass away'-
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44150
04/30/01 07:11 PM
04/30/01 07:11 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
Paul himself typically begins his letters with Grace-type theology and ends them with a string of things to do that clarifies what it means to live under Grace.

The problem is that many "New Testament" Christians are one-verse Christians or they don't read to the end of Paul's letters to see what he's getting at.

Some people think that Romans has only 8 chapters. Paul actually takes 11 chapters to talk about Grace, Justification, Sanctification, Election, etc. (all that Theology) and then talks about giving our bodies entirely to God as a living sacrifice (ie. obedience).

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44151
05/03/01 06:02 PM
05/03/01 06:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I'm back. Was away on business. To answer the question regarding law and grace - to me it means that we are no longer "under" the condemnation of the law as lawbreakers (providing we are connected to Christ). Grace cancels condemnation - not the law.

But grace is conditional upon obedience, which in turn is conditional upon abiding in Christ. It all comes back to Jesus. Thank you, Lord!

In one sense grace does do away with the law, in that it gets our eyes on Jesus and off the law. We can never comply with the law by focusing on the law (you end up with a stoney heart). The ticket to law keeping is making Jesus number one in our lives. If we imitate His loving example the law will be satisfied by default.

WWJD is nice, but I prefer JWWD - Jesus, what would you do? The focus is Jesus instead of the law. I like talking to Jesus rather than talking about Him. He's our best friend and loves it when we talk to Him.

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44152
05/04/01 12:46 AM
05/04/01 12:46 AM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry Buck:
To annul something means to put an end to it, to make it void.

I'm having some trouble with this definition. To annul does mean "1. to make formally void or null. 2. to reduce to nothing." (Random House Dictionary, I don't know the rest of the biblio 'cause the cover is torn off.) But I don't think it means "to put an end to" as in "stop doing something." To me it seems to cancel what has gone before.

Just hair-splitting, really.

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44153
05/04/01 12:51 AM
05/04/01 12:51 AM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
But grace is conditional upon obedience, which in turn is conditional upon abiding in Christ. It all comes back to Jesus. Thank you, Lord!

Hi Mike. Welcome back! Can you give me a few references on the above quote, or at least clarify your position. It seems to me that grace is conditional upon acceptance (of what Christ has done.)

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44154
05/05/01 05:31 AM
05/05/01 05:31 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Durk,

Good point. But isn't "accepting Jesus" the beginning of obedience? If we fail to accept Jesus as our personal Saviour what good is grace?

I like Hebrews 12:28 (KJV) for a working definition of grace - "Let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear." I also like Romans 1:5 (KJV) - "We have received grace... for obedience to the faith."

As I see it, grace is the power of God that empowers us to imitate the example of Jesus, who lived to please the Father. This sounds like an unmerited, undeserved gift to me. Yes, grace includes pardon, but it also involves power. I don't see how we can separate pardon and the power to obey.

What do you think?

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44155
05/05/01 02:47 PM
05/05/01 02:47 PM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
Actually, when I stop to think about it, (which SHOULD HAVE BEEN the first step) I don't think grace is conditional upon anything. If it were, it would no longer be a gift, but a reward, and grace by its very definition is "unmerrited favor". ie: no conditions.

We must do something to ACCESS this grace, but there are no CONDITIONS to recieving it.

Although I quibble with your first post, I really like your second one. The more I think about it the more sense it makes. Thanks.

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44156
05/06/01 04:49 AM
05/06/01 04:49 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Perhaps grace has multiple functions, with each function having conditions of access and use as well as multiple purposes or goals grace is working to achieve.

However looking at the big picture, redeeming grace is always conditional. Grace that in mercy euthanizes sin is also conditional.

Looking at a simplistic programing loop illustrates my point.

Can the people or persons be reached or worked upon or redeemed by God - yes - no .

The answer either yes or no is a condition that then determines the direction and purposes or goals of grace. Before the decisions are made that permanently align a person either toward God or against Him, grace works to align a person into harmony with God.

When final polarization is reached (ie: sealing one way or the other), grace now focuses to gather into Heaven or permanently remove sin. The appropriate steps are then started. Talking about conditions of grace on this scale is usually beyond personal points of discussion being made when talking about grace. The condition of grace existing at all is the love of the entire Godhead taking upon themselves the burden and expense of grace for all eternity.

We see such fragments of the big picture it is difficult for us to visualize the actual story of redemption and it's scope. Like Martha we choke up and quibble or even argue with the Lord or revealed facts from His messengers. She did not want the people to see her dead decaying brother. She wanted to keep the stone in place. Jesus had a different plan, one that moved the stone away using human co-operation and His Father's power after the stone was moved. Human muscles and action did not annul grace, it complimented and prepared the way for grace to do it's available it's intended work.

The situation made a way of availability for God, because none of the involved parties wanted Lazarus to be dead and turning to dirt. No one's conscience and power of choice was being violated. Martha just didn't look at the big picture, but she trusted what she could not see and understand to the Lord she could see. Jesus did not want Lazarus to be a stinky topic of gossip and dead dirt either. He accessed His Father's power through His Father's permission and Martha's real wish was granted in a better fashion than she supposed. That's what grace does, it operates according to God's requirements, following God's plans for it, using human co-operation to prepare the way, and surprises the people with something better than the expected water or sour wine or boiled down raisin juice. God loves to give grace according to His imagination, not our limited stilted plans.

For your consideration:
a wedding feast, where something better than either Earnest & Julio Gallo or Welch's was created by grace and the way prepared for and the aftermath served up by human power to the delight of the guests and families & host. It wasn't science fiction, it wasn't slight of hand, it was real and in this case; grace was drinkable and you could see the rich color and smell the aroma. It's reality and excellence would draw you to the One who had already left the occasion and to the words about Him that His disciples were now telling the crowd, as their first official witnessing efforts as a group. Grace had even planned for their needs of growth too.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited May 06, 2001).]

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #44157
05/07/01 03:19 AM
05/07/01 03:19 AM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
Edward, you're rambling.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!