HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,204
Posts195,705
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 9
kland 7
Daryl 3
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, 1 invisible), 680 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 30 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 29 30
Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45696
02/24/03 05:16 PM
02/24/03 05:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Sorry about the confusion. I was short on time, otherwise I would have included the quote with my post. Here it is:

The Story of Jesus, page 43, paragraph 5
Chapter Title: The Temptation
The sins of the world were upon Him, and His face showed such sorrow and anguish as man had never felt. He was suffering for sinners.

The Desire of Ages, page 116, paragraph 4
Many look on this conflict between Christ and Satan as having no special bearing on their own life; and for them it has little interest. But within the domain of every human heart this controversy is repeated. Never does one leave the ranks of evil for the service of God without encountering the assaults of Satan. The enticements which Christ resisted were those that we find it so difficult to withstand. They were urged upon Him in as much greater degree as His character is superior to ours. With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us.

The Desire of Ages, page 117, paragraph 1
Satan had pointed to Adam's sin as proof that God's law was unjust, and could not be obeyed. In our humanity, Christ was to redeem Adam's failure. But when Adam was assailed by the tempter, none of the effects of sin were upon him. He stood in the strength of perfect manhood, possessing the full vigor of mind and body. He was surrounded with the glories of Eden, and was in daily communion with heavenly beings. It was not thus with Jesus when He entered the wilderness to cope with Satan. For four thousand years the race had been decreasing in physical strength, in mental power, and in moral worth; and Christ took upon Him the infirmities of degenerate humanity. Only thus could He rescue man from the lowest depths of his degradation.

The Desire of Ages, page 117, paragraph 2
Many claim that it was impossible for Christ to be overcome by temptation. Then He could not have been placed in Adam's position; He could not have gained the victory that Adam failed to gain. If we have in any sense a more trying conflict than had Christ, then He would not be able to succor us. But our Saviour took humanity, with all its liabilities. He took the nature of man, with the possibility of yielding to temptation. We have nothing to bear which He has not endured.

The Desire of Ages, page 117, paragraph 4
From the time of Adam to that of Christ, self-indulgence had increased the power of the appetites and passions, until they had almost unlimited control. Thus men had become debased and diseased, and of themselves it was impossible for them to overcome. In man's behalf, Christ conquered by enduring the severest test. For our sake He exercised a self-control stronger than hunger or death. And in this first victory were involved other issues that enter into all our conflicts with the powers of darkness.

Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45697
02/24/03 05:20 PM
02/24/03 05:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
This passage demonstrates a couple of things important to this discussion. It clearly shows that Jesus possessed sinful flesh nature identical to ours, and it also teaches that Jesus bore our sins in His body from birth. But Jesus did not experience the wrath of God against the sin He bore on our behalf until He entered the garden of Gethsemane.

Selected Messages Book 3, page 129, paragraph 3
Chapter Title: The Incarnation
His human nature was created; it did not even possess the angelic powers. It was human, identical with our own.

Or are we talking about two separate issues?

Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45698
03/01/03 04:17 AM
03/01/03 04:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike

Do you have any Bible texts to illustrate the point?

Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45699
03/01/03 06:52 PM
03/01/03 06:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, I believe all the texts which teach Jesus was tempted in all points like born again believers are tempted imply Jesus bore the burden of our sins in His sinful flesh nature from the moment He was born. Heb 2 and 4, Rom 8:3 and 1 Peter 2:24. Not to mention all the SOP quotes which clearly teach it. And then the fact He didn't begin suffering the wrath of God against the sin in His flesh until He entered Gethsemane clearly says it was in His flesh nature all along from the beginning.

What makes sense to you?

Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45700
03/02/03 02:06 PM
03/02/03 02:06 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Greetings everyone

Mike, you said,
quote:

What Jesus experienced beginning in Gethsemane and ending on Golgotha was the wrath of God against the sin He inherited when He assumed Adam's fallen nature.

But it wasn't until He hung nailed to the cross that He, for the first time, endured the wrath of God against the sin He bore in His body. It was there all along, from birth, but it wasn't until the cross that God caused Jesus to suffer the wrath of God against the sin in His flesh. God didn't wait until the cross to lay our sins upon Jesus, rather they became a part of Jesus when He was born. But what changed at the cross was that Jesus experienced, for the first and last time, the wrath of God against the sin He had been bearing in His body since birth.

Where does the scripture teach that the wrath of God was upon Christ? What is the wrath of God?

Jesus said,

Luke 22:53 When I was daily with you in the temple, ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour, and the power of darkness.
    John 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
    John 7:19 Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?
    John 8:37 I know that ye are Abraham’s seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.
    John 8:40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.
    John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.
    John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

Peter said,

Acts 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
    1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
    1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

Paul said,

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
    Romans 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
    Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
    Hebrews 12:3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

Shalom

Note, I will be away for three weeks.

Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45701
03/02/03 06:38 PM
03/02/03 06:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John 3:26
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

See also Rom 1:18; 5:9, Eph 5:6 and Rev 11:18 are also examples of what the unsaved must suffer. Jesus took this wrath upon Himself in our place.

Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45702
03/03/03 04:52 AM
03/03/03 04:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
John 3:26
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

See also Rom 1:18; 5:9, Eph 5:6 and Rev 11:18 are also examples of what the unsaved must suffer. Jesus took this wrath upon Himself in our place.

Mike

Are you saying to us, that "the wrath of God" as you have depicted here for us, is the same as Jesus "bearing our sins on the tree?"

John! How are you?! Maybe by the time you read this, it will be three weeks; but I wanted to thank you for your comments here. It looks like you are trying to balance out the equation here by showing how the wrath of God was not upon Jesus till He hung on the cross? Meanwhile; Mike is saying God's wrath was upon Jesus at Gesthemane.

I personally don't see a need at this point in the discussion to worry inordinately about that point. I believe the initial question of this thread was asking: "Did Jesus bear our sin/guilt?"

Mike, John, & others:

If you look through this thread; you won't find the answer to this question. Any thoughts as to why?

In the following text; let us note:

Rev.14:14 "And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.
15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.
16 And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped.
17 And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.
18 And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe.
19 And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God."

When did Jesus "trod the winepress alone?"

Isaiah 63:3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.

Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45703
03/03/03 05:17 PM
03/03/03 05:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus trod the winepress alone from the moment He was born, especially beginning in Gethsemane and and ending on Golgotha.

God's Amazing Grace, page 163, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: Unutterable Loneliness
Through childhood, youth, and manhood, Jesus walked alone. In His purity and His faithfulness, He trod the winepress alone, and of the people there was none with Him. He carried the awful weight of responsibility for the salvation of men. He knew that unless there was a decided change in the principles and purposes of the human race, all would be lost. This was the burden of His soul, and none could appreciate the weight that rested upon Him.

God's Amazing Grace, page 163, paragraph 3
Throughout His life His mother and His brothers did not comprehend His mission. Even His disciples did not understand Him. He had dwelt in eternal light, as one with God, but His life on earth must be spent in solitude. As one with us, He must bear the burden of our guilt and woe. The Sinless One must feel the shame of sin. The peace lover must dwell with strife, the truth must abide with falsehood, purity with vileness. Every sin, every discord, every defiling lust that transgression had brought, was torture to His spirit.

God's Amazing Grace, page 163, paragraph 4
Alone He must tread the path; alone He must bear the burden. Upon Him who had laid off His glory and accepted the weakness of humanity the redemption of the world must rest. He saw and felt it all, but His purpose remained steadfast. Upon His arm depended the salvation of the fallen race, and He reached out His hand to grasp the hand of Omnipotent love.

Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, April 23, 1901, paragraph 13
Article Title: The Great Standard of Righteousness
"The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, . . . full of grace and truth." But the people He came to save refused to receive Him. They rewarded Him evil for good, and in Pilate's judgment hall He was condemned to death by crucifixion. "Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? This that is glorious in His apparel, traveling in the greatness of His strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save. Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the wine fat? I have trodden the winepress alone, and of the people there was none with me."

The Signs of the Times, June 3, 1897, paragraph 12
Article Title: Gethsemane
"Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest; behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners." The storm of the hellish host had in nowise abated, but he who was its subject was strengthened to meet its fury. He came forth calm and serene. He had borne that which no human being can ever bear; for he had tasted the sufferings of death for every man. "Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, traveling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save. Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the wine fat? I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me."

The Signs of the Times, August 26, 1903, paragraph 8
Article Title: Our Helper
Only by bearing, on the cross, the punishment for our disobedience could Christ deliver us from eternal death. He became sin for us, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. Repentant sinners stand before the Father justified, because the Innocent One has borne their guilt. [Isa 63:1-5 quoted].

Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45704
03/06/03 01:23 AM
03/06/03 01:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Jesus trod the winepress alone from the moment He was born, especially beginning in Gethsemane and and ending on Golgotha.

Thankyou Mike;

Your quotes from Ellen White are interesting. Do you know where to back up the above portion of your post I have quoted from the Bible?

Also, if Jesus trod the winepress [of God's wrath] since He was born; how can we accept what was brought out in this thread that Jesus did not suffer the wrath of God till

a) Gesthemane
b) Golgotha (Calvary)

It seems to me that the deck is short a card or two here? What do you think? [Smile]

Re: Did Christ bear our sin/guilt? A dialogue with SDA's who say 'No'. #45705
03/06/03 02:21 AM
03/06/03 02:21 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What does the fact that Jesus trod the winepress alone actually mean?

Page 20 of 30 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by Rick H. 06/28/24 08:37 PM
"Justice" or torture?
by kland. 06/28/24 08:28 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/21/24 08:34 AM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:14 PM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
LGBTQ+ Rainbow Decorates SDA Website
by ProdigalOne. 06/29/24 06:22 AM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/27/24 03:58 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:57 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 06/17/24 05:52 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!