HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45964
05/09/03 03:21 AM
05/09/03 03:21 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The point that I am trying to get at is the fact that Christ referred to the fact that the betrayal was prophesied in the OT Scriptures that He would be betrayed, and betrayed He was. The OT Scripture, wherever it is, may not have stated who the person was, but it did give sufficient detail rerlating to the betrayal even to the cost of the betrayal, 40 silver coins.

Also, all the prophecies of the rise and fall of the kingdoms, even naming the symbols of those kingdoms as clearly defined in the statue in Nebu.....'s dream, is to detailed for it not to be based on the foreknowledge of God.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45965
05/09/03 03:34 AM
05/09/03 03:34 AM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Darius please consider these quotes:

Neither of these posts support the popular view of foreknowledge. God promised to rescue man, period. Even in Nebuchadnezzar's dream God does not say how the overthrow of the kingdoms would take place, e.g. whether there would be much or little bloodshed. That would depend on man's decisions.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45966
05/09/03 03:44 AM
05/09/03 03:44 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Darius, I have to agree with Lobo. God cannot prophesy future developments of kingdoms unless He also knows the choices specific individuals will make under a myriad of circumstances. Cyrus, a contemporary of your namesake, is one such example. But if God does not know the future, like watching a rerun, then in order for Him to accurately foretell the future He would have to manipulate the choices mankind to force things to turn out the way He said it would. Which of course He will not do, nor does He have to since He knows the end from the beginning.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45967
05/09/03 03:47 AM
05/09/03 03:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

This too does not follow. The future does not depend only on man's efforts. If the Jews had accepted Jesus we would never have had the rise of Christianity. The rise of Christianity was the exercise of God's will in response to the corporate exercise of the Jewish will.

Darius, God predicted or had foreknowledge of the Jews rejecting Jesus long before Jesus was born:

Isaiah 53 "1 Who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed? 2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him. 3 He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4 Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. 5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. 6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7 He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth. 8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away. And who can speak of his descendants? For he was cut off from the land of the living; for the transgression of my people he was stricken. 9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth. 10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering, he will see his offspring and prolong his days, and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand. 11 After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, and he will divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors."

So Darius, if God didn’t foreknow this would happen, then how did He know that Israel would reject Jesus and that Jesus would be pierced or live the life Isaiah described hundreds of years before Jesus?

Either God made those men pierce Jesus side and reject him to fulfill prophesy, or He had foreknowledge that it would happen.

This does "follow".

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45968
05/08/03 09:24 PM
05/08/03 09:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

God had foreknowledge of Israel rejecting Jesus:

“22"Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross.” Acts 2

God has foreknowledge of who will be saved:

“1Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.” 1 Peter

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45969
05/08/03 10:55 PM
05/08/03 10:55 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Lobo, if God knows exactly who will be saved then He knows exactly what will bring this controversy to an end. This presents a small problem.

If I knew that something I was about to do would not work, and also knew that another approach would work, there is no need to guess which approach I would use. I would use the approach that I know will work. We know (believe) that at some point this will all be resolved in God's favor.

According to "foreknowledge" God knows what will work to accomplish that. We also know that several things He has done have not worked: the flood, calling Abraham and the establishing the Jews as His people.

Tell me this, if He knew what would work and what would not work, why would He put us through all this misery and try what He already knew would not work?

I just refuse to believe I am smarter than God.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45970
05/08/03 11:32 PM
05/08/03 11:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

According to "foreknowledge" God knows what will work to accomplish that. We also know that several things He has done have not worked: the flood, calling Abraham and the establishing the Jews as His people.

How do “we” know this?

What didn’t work about the flood?

What didn’t work about calling Abraham?

What didn’t work about Israel? (Incidentally, God predicted that only a remnant of literal Israel would be saved anyway, Isa 11:10-11, 10:20-23)

quote:

Tell me this, if He knew what would work and what would not work, why would He put us through all this misery and try what He already knew would not work?

I just refuse to believe I am smarter than God.

Who put whom through this misery? Sorry, man did it all on his own. God didn’t make man choose to sin, and continue to choose to rebel. God just allowed man to have freewill. And with freewill came mistakes.

So including the plan of salvation from the fall of man shows that God knew what would happen and provided a method to save man while preserving freewill.

So while it seems you would remove freewill, God in His wisdom and foreknowledge designed a way to preserve man’s freewill while still achieving His purpose to save as many of us as possible. This is something that neither you or I are smart enough to pull off.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45971
05/09/03 02:01 AM
05/09/03 02:01 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Everything God is doing to end the great controversy is part and parcel of what is needful to accomplish His objectives. Remember, if Adam and Eve had successfully resisted Satan's initial temptation the great controversy would have ended then and there. Ever since then everything God has been doing and will yet do is the one plan that will bring an end to sin and sinners. Nothing that has happened between the fall of Adam and now has taken God by surprise. That is, He hasn't been hoping He can end the controversy sooner than this. He knows why and when the controversy will end.

1. When Adam and Eve were placed in the beautiful garden, they had everything for their happiness which they could desire. But he chose in his all-wise arrangements to test their loyalty before they could be rendered eternally secure. They were to have his favor, and he to converse with them, and they with him. Yet he did not place evil out of their reach. Satan was permitted to tempt them. If they endured the trial they were to be in perpetual favor with God and the heavenly angels. {3SG 38.2}

[ May 09, 2003, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Mike Lowe ]

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45972
05/09/03 05:01 AM
05/09/03 05:01 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
I first came into this discussion many years ago when I was reading Daniel 10. I would invite everyone to review that chapter along with chapter 9. Here Daniel is asking the Lord why the Jews were not on their way back to Jerusalem since the seventy years of captivity promised through Jeremiah were up (see Daniel 9:1-3). Instead of answering, God sent Gabriel with a message about an additional seventy weeks which really sent Daniel into a tizzy. Soon after this, Daniel spent three weeks begging for understanding and was even physically sick over the situation. Finally a majestic being appeared who stated that he had come three weeks earlier to answer his (Daniel's) prayer, but had been detained in the process of trying to get the king of Persia to honor that seventy week prophecy. Finally, the being sent for reinforcements. So another being called Michael came to help him and while Michael was negotiating with Cyrus, this being came to respond to Daniel's prayer.

In reading this, I asked myself, "If God can see the future as Christendom teaches, what's this all about?" Why did TWO heavenly beings have to come to Earth just to get a prophecy fulfilled? Weren't prophecies a reflection of events which God knew would occur? That question began a study which led me to believe that many things we teach about God are actually human inventions that have little or no scriptural basis, the concept that God has foreknowledge being one of them.

Bob Lee

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45973
05/09/03 01:11 PM
05/09/03 01:11 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This is turning into a very interesting topic for I had always thought that God knew both the end from the beginning and the beginning from the end.

Does the SDA Church have an official doctrinal stand on this?

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!