HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45984
05/13/03 02:12 PM
05/13/03 02:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Could have failed or could have returned ere this does not detract from the foreknowledge of God or manipulate history. Freedom of choice is not destroyed simply because God has already seen things play out. There are a million ways things could have turned out but God knows how they will turn out because He's already seen it - like watching a rerun, which includes all the ways God has prevented things from turning out a way not best for mankind or the universe. Not that God is making it up as He goes along. He knows when and how to upset Satan's plans so that things turn out best for all involved. And all this is taken into account when He prophesies the future.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45985
05/14/03 04:28 AM
05/14/03 04:28 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Mike,

I apologize for overlooking the question you asked. In your remarks, you stated that I am ignoring "the fact God already knew ahead of time the details involved..." I wasn't ignoring the "fact," I am saying I find no evidence of that being a "fact" -- that God knows anything ahead of time. And I am using the story of Michael and the other being (we are not told who it was) as corroboration of that belief.

By the way, the concept that God knows the future seems to limit God extremely by turning Him into nothing but a preprogrammed computer! And I would ask, If God is the top Banana, just who programmed the computer? He's not allowed to make plans, respond to requests, change His mind, or get upset; all of which He specifically says He does.

It's interesting that Lobo stated "So really all this proves is that the future can be changed, not that God doesn't have foreknowledge of it." Lobo admits the exact point I am trying to make. He admits the future can be changed, but if the future can be changed, then God cannot have foreknowledge of it. Conversely, if God has foreknowledge, then the future cannot be changed. That includes any choices I supposedly make. If God knows the choice I am going to make, then I really don't have any choice. How can anyone say otherwise?

It's like the question: what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object? If you define an irresistible force, you have automatically defined away the possibility of an immovable object! Similarly, if you allow changes to be made in the future (or God to change His mind, or lay plans, or forget your sins, or respond to your prayers), you automatically define away the possibility that the future can be known.

Bob Lee

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45986
05/14/03 01:35 PM
05/14/03 01:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Bob Lee, thank you for responding to my thoughts on foreknowledge. I didn't mean to say you were ignoring them. I thought maybe you had overlooked my last post to you. It's looking as though we'll never agree on this subject, but fortunately our salvation does not depend on getting it right. God is bigger than we can ever imagine, His ways past finding out.

You wrote - "He's not allowed to make plans, respond to requests, change His mind, or get upset; all of which He specifically says He does." I agree with you that God can and does do these things. It's just that I don't see how or why they prevent Him from having foreknowledge. Just because it appears to us that God is willing to change His mind doesn't mean He will. In most cases it was just His strategy to test us or to influence us to make the best choice (i.e., Abraham and Moses).

I believe God has foreseen everything He has done and will do for eternity as if it has already happened, which includes the many different ways things could have turned if this or that had happened. This also includes interacting with us in a way that influences us to choose the best course of action so as to get the best results - all of which keeps in mind the outcome of the great controversy.

In order for the future to turn out the way God has forseen and/or foreordained He must be proactive - that is, He must intervene to prevent choices from being made that would yield results not in keeping with His plan for the outcome of the great controversy. But all His interventions are part of the details He foresaw in order for things to turn out right. He knows ahead of time the part He must play to ensure everything goes the right way.

I realize you don't see it this way, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me, the only way I can understand how He can prophesy future events with perfect precision, the only way I can know in my heart He is in control and that the future is safe in His hands.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45987
05/14/03 01:48 PM
05/14/03 01:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

It's interesting that Lobo stated "So really all this proves is that the future can be changed, not that God doesn't have foreknowledge of it." Lobo admits the exact point I am trying to make. He admits the future can be changed, but if the future can be changed, then God cannot have foreknowledge of it. Conversely, if God has foreknowledge, then the future cannot be changed. That includes any choices I supposedly make. If God knows the choice I am going to make, then I really don't have any choice. How can anyone say otherwise?

Bob, you seem to have trouble with the concept of foreknowledge. Knowing the outcome does not mean that it cannot be changed. Or that you don’t have any choice in the matter.

For example, God knows the outcome of your choices. Suppose God knows that if you go to college you will become a Christian, and if you don’t go you will not. You have a choice in the matter and choose to go to college for other reasons, as you don’t make you decision on what God knows.

So it is not that the future really changes, it is that there can be many different future outcomes of the choices we make today. God has foreknowledge of these outcomes. Having this knowledge doesn’t take away your ability to choose because it was your choice, not God’s.

So if God has foreknowledge of the outcome of our choices, the question is does He also know what we will choose? Since we have freewill I would have to say no. God knows what the outcome of our choice will be, but to preserve our freewill does not know what our choice will be.

So in the example above, God had foreknowledge of the outcome of your choices, but didn’t know which outcome you would choose.

Now understand that this only applies to freewill. If I’m a Christian and ask God to lead me actions daily, and to direct me to choose correctly daily, then God also would have foreknowledge of my choices because I have given Him the choice.

So God has foreknowledge of the outcome of our actions and choices, but not the actual choice until it is made.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45988
05/14/03 02:19 PM
05/14/03 02:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Lobo, I would like to add that God will not allow us to make choices that will ultimately upset the outcome of the great controversy. He will either exert superhuman effort to influence us to choose the best course of action or put us in an early grave to prevent us from making a choice that would upset His plans for the outcome of the great controversy. Balaam and the talking donkey is an example of how far God is willing to go to prevent us from making the wrong decisions. This does not imply all wrong decisions are going to upset God's ultimate plan.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45989
05/15/03 03:37 AM
05/15/03 03:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike, I totally agree. This also shows that God does know the outcome of actions, which means He has foreknowledge of the outcome of the actions we take. So the fact that God takes certain actions to keep His plan moving to the correct outcome proves that He knows the outcome, which means He has foreknowledge.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45990
05/14/03 09:16 PM
05/14/03 09:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Lobo, I love the way you put that. Thank you!! God is good.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45991
05/15/03 02:43 AM
05/15/03 02:43 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Thank you Lobo for your comments. These were also my original comments that started this topic going.
quote:
So if God has foreknowledge of the outcome of our choices, the question is does He also know what we will choose? Since we have freewill I would have to say no. God knows what the outcome of our choice will be, but to preserve our freewill does not know what our choice will be.
God knows all the 'what ifs' and is ready for any of them them. But he does not know which "if" we will choose.

The original question in relation to this was, whether God knew that Lucifer would fall/sin, and that man would fall/sin.

The answer then is that God did not know that Lucifer would fall/sin, and He did not know that man would fall/sin. God certainly did not plan nor purpose that either should sin. Sin was not inevitable, nor was it inescapable, it was not even probable, it was only possible.

When a free moral agent is created, no amount of Foreknowledge can destine/foreknow the choice of such a being. Foreknowledge may know all the variables, and it is precisely the variables that establish the level of the 'freedom' that such a moral agent has. Where there is no variable there is no freedom. A foreknowledge that 'knows' which variable a free moral agent will choose establishes the fact that the agent was not free to choose, and therefore was not a free moral agent, and the idea of choice is illusionary.

Since the fall/sin this equation is more complicated, because there is many times when a man thinks he is choosing of his own free will, while he is only being a slave to his own lusts or desires, etc. The choices that such a one makes are easily known since they are but the outworking of known factors. This is where God steps in often to bring a man to a position where he can put him on neutral ground so that such could exercise his/her free will and choose salvation.

Such knowledge is based on understanding and no previews.

Mike do you agree now?

Shalom

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45992
05/15/03 02:00 PM
05/15/03 02:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, thank you. I agree that once sin entered the picture, now that we are born slaves to sin, we do not have the freedom to choose not to sin. We sin naturally, instinctively, automatically. Of our own accord we cannot not sin. We born slaves to sin, self and Satan. We are far from free moral agents.

We have but one choice in life and that is to choose Jesus as our personal Lord and Saviour. Otherwise we sin by default. We do not have to choose to sin in order to sin, all we have to do to sin is not choose Jesus and we sin without effort or choice.

Does God foreknow the depths of our sin if we refuse to choose Jesus? I believe He does. Not because He's good at deducing the course of sin or because He knows us well enough to predict the outcome, but because He knows the end from the beginning - again, like watching a rerun. Knowing the future does not rob us of our freedom to choose Jesus, which is our only choice.

There are many examples in the Bible where God forewarned people of choices they were going to make, but the warning did not make them do it and neither did it prevent them from doing it. Judas is a perfect example of this point. Did Jesus know him well enough to guess his future course of action or did Jesus know the end from the beginning? And what about the prophecy? I choose to believe Jesus knows what is in man and doesn't need anyone to tell Him.

John
2:25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45993
05/15/03 02:12 PM
05/15/03 02:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

Such knowledge is based on understanding and no previews.

John, I agree with you for the most part, but need to clarify a few points.

First, since freewill always allows the possibility of disobedience, in the case of man and Satan, God would have a plan already in mind for the chance that rebellion did occur.

Next, I do believe God has foreknowledge of more than understanding. History has shown that God’s interaction with man has been very measured and calculated. This demonstrates more than understanding, but a specific knowledge of the result of each action.

So I believe God can see the future of choices we make based on a view or preview of the outcome.

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!