HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47313
02/12/05 07:37 PM
02/12/05 07:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:

Which is the correct definition?

Daryl, you're making a mountain out of a mole-hill. I gave you the roots of the word; where its origins are. That is not to say this is what it means today. Definitly, it now has, and had in Biblical times, the conotation of one who engages in the occultic arts, etc.

Understand that words and cultures change, and many people groups have those who they view as having a closer relationship to "the gods" or the ability to see (hence the word "seer" or See-er one who sees) into the future. They would have believed that these people told or could see the truth, hence the designation "soothsayer" or, archaicly, "truthsayer."

I do feel that we are off topic in regards to the question posed, which is whether or not EGW was a true prophet of God. I can accept that the Biblical writers were true prophets, so we do not have to re-establish that. If we want to use an example or comparison from them in the course of a discussion, fine, but we needn't get side-tracked by it.

Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47314
02/14/05 04:02 AM
02/14/05 04:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like I said earlier, Daryl, no one is going to touch this topic with a ten-foot pole (except to parrot the party line and leave it at that).

So we really should stop wasting our time.

Many who do not presently accept EGW could be convinced, or at least swayed, by a coherent, logical discussion in a Christian manner. I have yet to encounter anyone who can do this. Which makes me sad.

Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47315
02/14/05 04:21 AM
02/14/05 04:21 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Until we have demonstrated that we can accurately determine whether or not a biblical figure was or wasn't a true prophet of God in their lifetime such as Balaam and Jonah, I am not prepared to discuss that about Ellen White, therefore, let us first determine whether Balaam was or wasn't a true prophet of God as well as whether Jonah was or wasn't a ture prophet of God.

Once we have determined that, we will then be able to use the same method to determine whether or not Ellen White was a true prophet of God in her lifetime.

[Caution] And, Cedric, as far as towing the party line goes, saying that is not condusive to a good topic, therefore, any further posts like that will be removed. [Caution]

======

Grammatical edit only - Daryl [Smile]

[ February 13, 2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47316
02/13/05 08:02 PM
02/13/05 08:02 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Cedric,
From what I have seen so far their is a decent amount of discussion ocurring here. I only see that you have become impatient since the discussion may or may not be going the way you had planned\hoped\designed. Resorting to cheap shots doesn't do anyone any good.
Daryl is actuallymaking an effort. Maybe you have other intentions who knows. Difficult to say, time will tell.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47317
02/13/05 08:07 PM
02/13/05 08:07 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I have a list of Bible verses on what the characteristics are for a true prophet:

quote:

Matt. 24:24. There will be false prophets.
1 John 4:1. Test all prophets.
1 John 4:2, 3. Must confess Christ came in the flesh.
Isa. 8:20. Tested by the law and the testimony. The words of a true prophet will
harmonize with the law of God and the testimony of all previous prophets of
God. One who claims to be a prophet may fulfill every other test, but if his
instruction is contrary to the Bible and the testimonies, he proves himself to be
false.

Deut. 13:1-4. Exalt the true God.
Deut. 18:21, 22. Words must come true.
Deut. 13:1-3. A false prophet’s words may come true.
Num. 12:6. Will have visions.
Dan. 10:7; Acts 9:7, 8. Open or public visions with witnesses present. T., v. 1,
pp. 58, 70.
1 John 1:1-3, 2 Peter 1:16. Witnesses relate what they have seen.
1 Sam. 3:1-10; Dan. 2:19; 7:1. Night visions and dreams. T., v. 1, p. 569.
Acts 9:3. A great light encircles them. T., v. 9, p. 66.
Acts 10:9, 10; Dan. 9:20-23. Vision given while praying. T., v. 5, p. 68.
Eze. 8:3; Dan. 8:2. Taken to other places while in vision. T., v. 5, p. 68; E.W.
Matt. 7:15-20. Known by fruits. T., v. 5, p. 671.
Jer. 7:13, 25; 25:4. Early risers. T., v. 5, p. 67.
Acts 13:8-11; 2 Chron. 20:14-19. God sometimes speaks through a prophet
without a vision. T., v. 5, p. 678.
Jer. 23:16. Never flatter.
Acts 11:27-30. Warn of danger.
Acts 15:1, 2 27-29. Settle doctrinal questions. T., v. 1, pp. 76, 86; E.W. 74, 75.
Acts 16:4, 5. Testimony establishes churches.
Acts 16:6-10. Directs the laborers. E.W. 63.
2 Kings 8:9-12. Countenance of persons reminds the prophet of what he has
seen. T., v. 5, pp. 65, 671.
2 Kings. 4:27. Everything is not always revealed.
2 Kings. 5:20-26. Reveal unexpressed desires of the heart.
Isa. 38:1-5. Prayers and tears change a testimony. P.K. 340, 341.
Jer. 18:7-10. Principle governing all testimonies.
2 Chron. 21:12, margin. Testimonies written before time for their delivery.
2 Peter 1:20. Every word far-reaching.
Isa. 44:26. God confirms the words. E.W. 59.
Jer. 36:32. Never take back their testimony, but rather add to it. T., v. 5, p.

Make some time to read those Bible verses, and let us know what your thoughths are on those characteristics.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47318
02/14/05 04:10 AM
02/14/05 04:10 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
quote:
Like I said earlier, Daryl, no one is going to touch this topic with a ten-foot pole (except to parrot the party line and leave it at that).
Cedric, the "party line" of the SDA Church is something called "the truth." I'll toe that line any time; glad to do it. I'll also thank you not to refer to myself and others as "parrots." There was a time when I didn't regard EGW as a true prophet of God. I came to this conclusion after long and careful study. If you don't agree with that conclusion, that's certainly your right. But you have no business insulting the intelligence of those who regard her as inspired.

quote:
Many who do not presently accept EGW could be convinced, or at least swayed, by a coherent, logical discussion in a Christian manner. I have yet to encounter anyone who can do this.
Who in this topic has been un-Christian in manner? I would answer, "No one, except the person who insinuates that everyone else lacks that quality." And if you don't think we've been logical and coherent, I would suggest that you revisit Webster's, to brush up on the definitions of those words.

Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47319
02/15/05 01:53 AM
02/15/05 01:53 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
So what about Balaam, was he a true prophet of God, or was he a false prophet?

Did Balaam, or did Balaam not, pass the test of a true prophet of God?

If you say yes, on what basis do you say yes?

If you say no, on what basis do you say no?

By the way, the established tests of whether or not any person is a true prophet of God should also be basis in which you either say yes or no regarding Balaam.

Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47320
02/18/05 08:12 AM
02/18/05 08:12 AM
Windmill  Offline
New Zealand Christchurch
Not really sure if this fits in with the topic, but I'll post it anyway incase it does.

Often, these anti adventist websites mention us putting Ellen Whites writing on a pedistal, and as high as the bible. Thats not true is it?

Also, I've been told she's made some flase claims.

Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47321
02/18/05 03:39 PM
02/18/05 03:39 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Windmill,
There are some people who use Sister White's writings as if it were the Bible, and they back up their beliefes by what she said instead of going to the Bible.
This is the case with only a few, and it is to the point that they will distort (right in your face even) words in such a manner as to try and "force" you to believe their position, and if youdon't they think you are damned to hell. Seriously.. I was reading some rantings from some guy who still keeps the feasts (you know the ceremonial ones that were nailed to the cross), and says that if youdon't youwill not be part of the 144,000. The weird thing is that he uses a veggie loaf, and not a lamb, and then tries to pull a number on you about the "counsel" Sister White gives on it..
As for a the anti-adventist sites giving us lip about Sister White those claims are false as I mentioned above.
It is also important to note that alot are the ones who claim to have no denominational affiliation, but they believe in weird stuff like "being soaked in the spirit", or "slain in the spirit", or even worse that you are not filled with the Holy Ghost if you don't start babeling.
However the same goes for all denominations, you will have those that I believe are truly part of God's Church the Israel of God, and you have the very huge large mainstream majority that will not come out of Babylon.
In regards to those false claims I have not looked into them, but am spending time reading my Bible, and studying what Sister White has said in books like The Great Controversy.
Maybe I will start a defrauding campaign against those bewitched and demon possessed "denominations" who feel that you have to have a freak out session in order to display outwardly you are a follower of Christ, or should I say antichrist?
God Bless,
Will

Re: Does Ellen G White Pass the Test of a True Prophet of God? #47322
02/18/05 09:00 PM
02/18/05 09:00 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Windmill's question may eventually fit into this topic, however, not yet, as we are somewhat still establishing principle's for accurately testing whether or not a person is a true prophet of God.

Once we are able to accurately establish whether or not Balaam was a true prophet of God in his lifetime as well as perhaps any other questionable prophets of the Bible, then we should be ready to use this in establishing whether or not Ellen White also passes these tests of a true prophet of God.

There isn't any reason though why another topic couldn't also be created to pursue Windmill's question and Will's reply to it further.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!