HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47427
10/08/05 02:55 AM
10/08/05 02:55 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
No, Tom , it doesn't dent the truth. Paul wrote:

2 Corinthians
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

We are born again with all the fruits of the Spirit, with all the righteous attributes of God's character.

DA 676
When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. {DA 676.4}

COL 330
All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

Of course we're not born again fully mature or totally developed - but neither was Jesus. He began perfect and He beccame perfect as He grew and matured. The same is true of converted Christians.

Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47428
10/08/05 04:31 AM
10/08/05 04:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike:No, Tom , it doesn't dent the truth.

Tom:But it does put a dent in the idea that after we are converted we no longer have any selfishness, doesn't it?

Mike:
Of course we're not born again fully mature or totally developed - but neither was Jesus. He began perfect and He beccame perfect as He grew and matured. The same is true of converted Christians.

Tom:But Jesus didn't have any selfishness to renounce, did He? So we are NOT completely like Christ was when we are born again, are we?

Jesus desires we renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek him. This is only possible if we recognize we have selfishness to renounce. If we think we are rich and in need of nothing, we will never to do that, will we?

Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47429
10/08/05 05:06 PM
10/08/05 05:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Of course Jesus wrestled with "selfishness" in the same way born again believers do. He possessed the same fallen flesh nature we do, which continually bombarded Him with selfish thoughts and feelings. "Selfishness" is, in this case (and in the case of born again believers), nothing more than the temptations generated and communicated by sinful flesh nature.

Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47430
10/08/05 09:17 PM
10/08/05 09:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I noticed you enclosed "seflishenss" in quotes, when referring to Christ. In Ellen White's quote, there were no quotes around "selfishness".

quote:
Jesus desires we renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek him.
We have actual seflishness to renounce, not just the temptations of our fallen human nature. Temptations from a fallen nature are not the same thing as "selfishness".

What Ellen White's quote brings out is that there are deeper levels of motivation that should inspire us to live for Christ than the selfish ones we have when we were first born again. These selfish motivations are the milk that Paul refers to; they are our egocentric preoccumaption with getting to heaven, being ready for Christ's return, and so forth. Everything is "me, me, me" just like a little child.

The meat is a concern for God; for His reputation; empathizing with His pain; wanting His suffering to come to an end; wanting Him to receive the honor and glory which He is due.

=====

I assume you meant to type suffering instead of suggering in your last paragraph/sentence, so I corrected it. - Daryl [Smile]

[ October 08, 2005, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47431
10/09/05 02:24 PM
10/09/05 02:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I disagree. All selfishness is inherited and/or cultivated. When we're born again our cultivated habits of character, our old man mind, is crucified and buried. That's what Paul wrote. The only thing that remains to tempt us with selfishness is our fallen flesh nature.

Also, here's what Sister Whit wrote about the rewards of seeking and serving Jesus:

SC 21, 22
Oh, let us contemplate the amazing sacrifice that has been made for us! Let us try to appreciate the labor and energy that Heaven is expending to reclaim the lost, and bring them back to the Father's house. Motives stronger, and agencies more powerful, could never be brought into operation; the exceeding rewards for right-doing, the enjoyment of heaven, the society of the angels, the communion and love of God and His Son, the elevation and extension of all our powers throughout eternal ages--are these not mighty incentives and encouragements to urge us to give the heart's loving service to our Creator and Redeemer? {SC 21.3}

And, on the other hand, the judgments of God pronounced against sin, the inevitable retribution, the degradation of our character, and the final destruction, are presented in God's word to warn us against the service of Satan. {SC 21.4}

Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47432
10/10/05 03:05 AM
10/10/05 03:05 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What I got from that quote in the post that began this topic is that conversion is not a one time experience, but must be repeated daily, but must be a daily experience.

That to me means that we must be converted daily to Christ and the truth that sets use free from the condemnation of sin that results ultimately in the 2nd death.

With the above in mind:

1 - How then are we converted daily?

2 - How do we go about being converted daily?

3 - Does this also mean that we must be born again daily?

Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47433
10/10/05 02:40 PM
10/10/05 02:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

I believe it means maintaining our converted condition.

By continuing to abide in Jesus.

Conversion and rebirth are synonymous terms. There is a magical moment when we initially experience the miracle of rebirth. We cannot repeat it, but we can and must maintain it. Of course, if we backslide for several years, then it would be appropriate to get rebaptized, which essentially reestablishes our original rebirth.

Contrary to popular belief, being converted daily, or dying daily, has nothing to do with discovering and crucifying new or previously unknown character defects. Nor is it a gradual process of slowly outgrowing or overcoming our moral imperfections.

Being converted daily is the same thing as the process sanctification, which is becoming more and more mature in the fruits of the Spirit, becoming more and more mature like Jesus, advancing from one stage of perfection to another. It has nothing to do with sinning and repenting less and less until we cease sinning altogether.

Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47434
10/10/05 10:59 PM
10/10/05 10:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Daryl (formerly known as "Daniel")What I got from that quote in the post that began this topic is that conversion is not a one time experience, but must be repeated daily, but must be a daily experience.

I agree.

Daryl:That to me means that we must be converted daily to Christ and the truth that sets use free from the condemnation of sin that results ultimately in the 2nd death.

With the above in mind:

The same was as the first time; by beholding the love of God revealed in Jesus Christ.

That's the same question as 1, isn't it?

Yes, if we understand "born again" to mean the same thing as being converted (which I think is correct).

"Conversion" involves seeing things in a different way. It is not specific to Christianity, or even to religion. When we perceive the love of God streaming from the cross, that vision changes us, if we don't resist it. Here the process is eloquently described:

quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. (DA 176)
A person may or may not have a marked experience in being converted. Many are raised by godly parents and cannot point to a specific time they were converted. But if one is converted, one's perspective will be like Paul's, who was determined to live for Him who died for us. It was the vision of the cross that changed him.

It is our realization of our sinfulness and Christ's loveliness which leads us to repentance/conversion. I believe this process deepens the more we learn truth.

Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47435
10/10/05 11:09 PM
10/10/05 11:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Contrary to popular belief, being converted daily, or dying daily, has nothing to do with discovering and crucifying new or previously unknown character defects. Nor is it a gradual process of slowly outgrowing or overcoming our moral imperfections.

Both of these points are only applicable if one has a very strict definition of the terms involved; specifically "character defects" and "moral imperfections". You consider these terms to apply only to known sin. This is what is contrary to popular belief. Most people understand that moral imperfections are what they are, regardless of whether or not the given sin is known. For example, if a person ignorantly breaks the Sabbath or is polygamous, these are still moral imperfections or character defects, as these term in commonly used. So given the common usage of the words, one does discover new character defects and gradually overcome moral imperfections. As one encovers new truth, if one is led by the Spirit, one adjusts accordingly.

So if you wish to make these statements, I believe it would be good if you clarified what you mean by "character defects" and "moral imperfections", and would be helpful if you recognized that your usage of these terms is not standard.

There's nothing wrong with having non-standards usages for words and phrases, if you are convinced the standard usage is incorrect, but if you are deviating from the norm, it is helpful to point this out, so you don't talk past your reader.

Being converted daily is the same thing as the process sanctification, which is becoming more and more mature in the fruits of the Spirit, becoming more and more mature like Jesus, advancing from one stage of perfection to another.

It's not simply becoming more and more mature like Jesus became more and more mature, but it's becoming more and more like Him.

It has nothing to do with sinning and repenting less and less until we cease sinning altogether.

Sanctification actually involves repenting more and more, not less and less.

Re: Is Genuine Conversion A Daily Experience? #47436
10/12/05 03:08 AM
10/12/05 03:08 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
For example, if a person ignorantly breaks the Sabbath or is polygamous, these are still moral imperfections or character defects, as these term in commonly used.

Not so. Character defects (i.e., moral imperfections) are the direct result of deliberately violating ones conscience and convictions. Character is not the result of chance or ignorance; it is the result of choice. No one can accidentally develop sinful traits of character. Character is the stuff of integrity or the lack thereof. This is conventional wisdom.

quote:
Sanctification actually involves repenting more and more, not less and less.

Quote, please. Where does it say we will sin more and more, therefore we will repent more and more?

COL 160, 161
At every advance step in Christian experience our repentance will deepen. It is to those whom the Lord has forgiven, to those whom He acknowledges as His people, that He says, "Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe yourselves in your own sight." Eze. 36:31. Again He says, "I will establish My covenant with thee, and thou shalt know that I am the Lord; that thou mayest remember, and be confounded, and never open thy mouth any more because of thy shame, when I am pacified toward thee for all that thou hast done, saith the Lord God." Eze. 16:62, 63. Then our lips will not be opened in self-glorification. We shall know that our sufficiency is in Christ alone. We shall make the apostle's confession our own. "I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing." Rom. 7:18. "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Gal. 6:14. {COL 160.3}

This quote is not implying that we continue to sin and repent. It is simply saying that our abhorrence of sin in general and our past sins in particular will deepen. Paul regretted that he ever persecuted Christians, and the more like Jesus he became, the more he lamented his past sins.

Daily conversion has nothing to do with sinning and repenting daily.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!