HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53797
01/13/02 01:24 AM
01/13/02 01:24 AM
zyph  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Australia
Some months ago, after feeling helpless to stop the local crows from attacking possums, my son and I phoned around to get the measurements of a possum box. We live in the city, and there are no old growth trees for animals to nest in. You'll find families of little possums trying to nest at the top of date palm trees, or in roofs. We finally found the information, and my son went to the local hardware store, and asked them to cut chipboard to size for 2 boxes. The man in the store obliged him, thank goodness. Then he remembered a friend's father who has a saw that cuts holes (I can't remember the term). We fronted there, and he kindly cut holes in two pieces for us. At home, we constructed two boxes. Two adults with ADD and poor co-ordination came out of that experience with new respect for each other, but not necessarily liking each other for a while! lol We gave one box to a neighbour (I don't know if he's used it) and we tried to get ours in place in our macadamia tree. Yet another challenge to our relationship, as we don't own a ladder. Finally I managed to balance on a chair, and tie the thing in a clumsy fashion with unwrapped wire coathangers. It sits okay, but I'm sure it's not all that secure.

WELL... yesterday I thought I saw some movement inside when a magpie landed on the branch and squawked at something (they must hate possums, too!) I wasn't sure if I imagined it or not, and my son and I resisted the awful temptation to look. We did go a bit too close. Last night, I left a peeled banana on the branch right outside the box. This morning it was gone. That doesn't mean much, as we've left food for the possums before, but I went back to leave a couple of dry wholemeal crackers from some stale ones I found in the cupboard. I startled an unnoticed bird, which took off with a great flap, and as I was laying the biscuits on the branch, a little face appeared in the circular hole in the box! It was a sleepy possum! (They're nocturnal, of course.) I couldn't have been more delighted, but I was afraid of frightening it, so I walked away, making calming noises. Its location is not very high off the ground, and it is still vulnerable, but it is invisible during the day if it's sleeping, and if it cared to fight back, I'm sure it could defend itself from inside its little home. I'm absolutely thrilled! I have possums!

Re: I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53798
01/13/02 08:44 AM
01/13/02 08:44 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
Oh, how absolutely delightful!

I just loved your descriptions here - father and son building life-long memories!

I well remember the joey I handreared while at primary school. I used to keep it in my desk during the day, as I had to feed it with an eye-dropper.
One of the most delightful pets I ever owned.

So happy u got possums!!

Re: I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53799
01/13/02 09:04 AM
01/13/02 09:04 AM
zyph  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Australia
Ah, Zita! I see I'm going to have to stop writing in such a deep voice. You're the second person in recent times who thought I was a bloke! Mother and son were building lifelong memories, I'm afraid! lol But I'm glad you know the excited feeling. Were you in NZ when you raised the joey? What were the circumstances that led to you doing that? I'd LOVE to have a kangaroo!

Re: I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53800
01/13/02 01:45 PM
01/13/02 01:45 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Hi Y'll

Great to hear the possum stories. When we lived 50 miles above Mobile Alabama on the Gulf Coast of the USA. One night our three dogs barked all night. We had a large celeste fig bush near the kitchen window. A possum had decided to enter the fence and cross the yard and snack on some figs by moonlight.

Our three dogs were not Andy Williams fans by any means. They were not singing "Moon River" to mister snack by night at all. Shut up they would not, for love, nor money, or dire grumblings from our open bedroom window. So from 03:00 - 05:00 we were seranaded, till we all went out to see what was going on.

Our son Joel had this habit of going snake hunting (which Linda & I both tried in vain to desuade him of), and had a hoe handle studded with large fence staples 1/2 pounded into to it in 4 - 5 places in a sreight line to allow a plastic coated braided wire to serve as a flexible noose on the end.

We caught the possum with it from the top of the fig tree (where it "played dead") as hard as it could & held on with it's tail as hard as it could. Wearing my heaviest welding gloves carried it down past the barn to be set free on top of an old shed below the barn.

BTW a large female diamondback rattlesnake, finally convinced Joel he really really wanted to quit catching snakes. She would have nailed him if the dogs and a cat or two had not divided her attention, plus being full of eggs. she was nearly 6 feet long (1 2/3 meters) and her head was as broad as my hand (4 inches or 10 cm).

That close brush with almost getting bit, really changed his attitude. When we told him that armidillos often carried leprosy, he quit catching them too. If that boy could chase it & catch it, he brought it home to show us - stinkier the better.

Hope your possums have a more sedate life than critters around Joel did.

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: Edward F Sutton ]

Re: I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53801
01/13/02 09:07 PM
01/13/02 09:07 PM
zyph  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Australia
Ed, your Joel reminds me of two Adventist kids I knew who went to school with my son. They lived a long way out of town, and trekked through places I wouldn't have gone without a compass and a week's supply of food. Their mother told me that one day, they caught a six foot long goanna! Now, I'm not sure if you have an equivalent lizard in your country, but a goanna is a streamlined missile of muscle, with very sharp teeth at one end, and a disposition to operate said teeth. If startled, they will chase you. These kids arrived home with a hessian bag full of goanna, and no-one knew quite how to get the thing out of the bag and maintain the same finger count throughout. Eventually, the oldest child - a boy of about twelve - grabbed the poor goanna around the neck. After a flurry of activity that his mother wanted no involvement with, he had it tied by the front and back legs and hanging over a large stick like they do in the old safari movies. He and his sister - aged 10 - each put one end of the stick on their shoulder, and marched off into the bush to set Mr goanna free.

Re: I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53802
01/14/02 09:16 AM
01/14/02 09:16 AM
zyph  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Australia
I went out to put some fruit in the tree tonight, and I took the torch. A tiny face popped up. It was a baby possum, and must have been standing on its mother's back. My joy is complete.

Re: I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53803
01/14/02 02:17 PM
01/14/02 02:17 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
I will definitly leave Mr goanna ALONE. Being a Shriner's kid I am all thumbs & two left feet. Cerebral Palsy God gave just enough grace & help to make me seem fairly normal.

However BTW how much does Mr goanna charge to intercept telemarketing calls when I am in the shower or getting ready for work ?

I guess Mr goanna is one fast rascal.

I remember Joel finding one very scared new little fawn, just seconds before a very hungrey dog could get to him. we drove around & finally found a lady who had raised orphaned fawns before. She had the milk replacer powder & extra tiny bottles & everything. I never knew how it turned out, can only hope.

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Edward F Sutton ]

Re: I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53804
01/15/02 09:57 AM
01/15/02 09:57 AM
zyph  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Australia
Good thinking, Ed. A goanna can outrun a man over a short distance. They aren't aggressive unless threatened or harrassed, but there's just no way to explain if you didn't mean it! lol And you can't take refuge in a tree. They climb trees all the time.

The fawn would have been gorgeous! Bambi! We have no wild deer in this country. Once when I was a little girl, my parents and I were driving in the country. We found a baby lamb - newborn - that had strayed onto the highway. We couldn't see any herds of sheep, so we took it home. At the time, my mother was babysitting, and we had a baby's bottle of milk with us. Guess who got it?

We named it "Lambekins" - okay, no imagination! - and we had him until he was quite big. But if you know anything about sheep, you'll know that rams are almost as aggressive as goannas - even when unprovoked! And they have big twisty horns. We eventually had to send a rather inappropriately-named ram to a farm. I think they lied to me when they said he wouldn't be eaten. Poor old thing. To add insult to injury, at the time we had an Australian Blue Heeler dog, named "Beans". Okay, names were not a thing we were good at. During Lambekin's time with us, Beans chewed off his ears. One at a time. You see, sheep don't ever complain, and Lambekins was silent throughout both ordeals.

Re: I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53805
01/15/02 02:04 PM
01/15/02 02:04 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Sounds like beans should have tried picking on my cat "Atomic" or "Tom" for short. I called him that because he had so much energy. Unless beans was a good fighter tom would have made a humble dog out of him. Nice affectionate cat but he could really put a pooch in his place.

He was really good at hide & seek, hanging on screen doors and begging for food, after he had just ate one house down from there. He would challenge the dogs for their dinner bowl & usually get extra food.

When I was little I would get in trouble for sneaking into my lap at the table & he would help me eat cereal from my bowl (we would always get caught with milk ear to ear punctuated by big 5yr old grins at what we were up to.) Oh well Tom was still living @ 23 yrs old. Seems forever ago.

Re: I HAVE POSSUMS!!! #53806
01/16/02 11:10 AM
01/16/02 11:10 AM
zyph  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Australia
23 years! Wow! Get me some of that cereal!

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!