HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 34 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 33 34
Re: We Have All Been Saved #73759
05/25/06 04:06 PM
05/25/06 04:06 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Holding on to barbaric images of the Creator of the Universe is clear evidence of not knowing Him/Her.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Re: We Have All Been Saved #73760
05/25/06 11:34 PM
05/25/06 11:34 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Tom: The important part that I'm interested in is if you believe that God will supernaturally keep the wicked alive so they can be boiled alive for a long enough time to pay in physical suffering for their sins.

Quote:

James: But that is what I heard among SDA’s, what I read in the SOP and what I believe.

Why? Are you not agreeing with this? Why are you not agreeing? Does it give an implication that God is not soo loving and kind as you think?

People tend to read according to the vengeance that is in them. This our heavenly Father desires to exchange for his grace. Let us read according to the grace of his holy spirit, and the fruit thereof.

It should be very self-evident that any lessons or retributions or whatever you will that the lost are supposed to get out of being boiled alive would be entirely lost and useless, since their only end is death. So if God should do such a thing as is proposed here it would only be for the purpose of satisfying revengeful lust of those who will remain alive. This is not the kind of kingdom of heaven Christ revealed.

The controversy between good and evil, between life and death, still needs to come home to many hearts.

Re: We Have All Been Saved #73761
05/26/06 02:24 AM
05/26/06 02:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John, the idea that people have as to why the wicked must be punished is not for the purpose of satisfying their own revengeful lust, but to satisfy God's justice, or, to use the words of some, God's "thirst for violence." This is equivalent to what you're saying though, since people see God according to their own character.

"With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright; With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward." (Ps. 18:25, 26)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: We Have All Been Saved #73762
05/26/06 01:38 PM
05/26/06 01:38 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

So if God should do such a thing as is proposed here it would only be for the purpose of satisfying revengeful lust of those who will remain alive.

God is one of those remaining alive and would have to 'live with' what was done to the lost ones. So while this sinful world is thinking itself justified by God in its thirst for violence; there is the kingdom of heaven that Christ brought which belies it.

Re: We Have All Been Saved #73763
05/26/06 04:33 PM
05/26/06 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I do not doubt that Jesus will use literal fire to punish the wicked according to their sinfulness. The Bible and SOP is clear. What I'm not clear about is how Jesus keeps them alive during the time they are suffering according to their sinfulnss. Why they do not die immediately is not clear to me. Whether your view or the one I have adopted is right doesn't change what I'm not clear about. I also believe God's glory contributes to the suffering they experience until they die.

Re: We Have All Been Saved #73764
05/26/06 04:39 PM
05/26/06 04:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - I don't have as much time to post during the summer months as I do during the rest of the year.

Re: We Have All Been Saved #73765
05/26/06 07:51 PM
05/26/06 07:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, so back to my original statement:

Quote:

When the wicked are resurrected, God will cause fire to rain upon them, causing them to be cast into a lake of fire, something like molten lava, in which He will keep them supernaturally alive (although how God does this is unclear) to suffer by being scalded, or boiled, until they pay by physical suffering for each sin they have committed. The righteous who witness this will rejoice to see this happen, even when it involves their children or other loved ones. Holy angels who witness the suffering of the wicked will rejoice. God will rejoice in the suffering of our loved ones. How or why this rejoicing occurs is unclear.

I altered it slightly, so it now says, "God will cause fire to rain upon them, causing them to be cast into a lake of fire" rather than "God will cast them into a lake of fire." I also added the parenthetical phrases to make clear you do not understand how God supernaturally keeps the wicked alive so they can be boiled, nor why or how God and others rejoice in their suffering.

I think I've represented your thought perfectly now, as the three clarifications you made about my statement of your position were:
a)The lake of fire is caused by God raining fire down upon the wicked.
b)How God keeps them supernatually alive is not clear to you.
c)How or why there is rejoicing in their suffering is not clear to you.

Do I have it exactly right?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: We Have All Been Saved #73766
05/26/06 07:58 PM
05/26/06 07:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

So if God should do such a thing as is proposed here it would only be for the purpose of satisfying revengeful lust of those who will remain alive. This is not the kind of kingdom of heaven Christ revealed.

You're right. For some reason I was excluding God from those who remain alive. I guess that "remain" caused me to disregard God in my thinking.

You're right in asserting that this is not the kind of kingdom which Christ revealed.

Re: We Have All Been Saved #73767
05/27/06 03:41 AM
05/27/06 03:41 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Tom:

It sounds rather barbaric, James, don't you think? For God to keep people alive supernaturally so they can be boiled alive?

Darius:
Holding on to barbaric images of the Creator of the Universe is clear evidence of not knowing Him/Her

Unquote

Quoted from Daryl, posted Sat May 20 2006 11:06 PM in Destruction of the wicked topic:
The following EGW quote shows they were not already dead until they are completely consumed in the lake of fire:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unquote.

As I said I have read it somewhere in the SOP and I heard among SDA's, now I see that EGW who has the barbaric thought and taught other people the same.

That is why I never use EGW quotes in my 600+ posts here for I think I have read a lot of contradiction in here writings.

In His love

James S

Re: We Have All Been Saved #73768
05/27/06 04:09 AM
05/27/06 04:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Don't be too quick to judge, James! In Ellen White's most detailed description of the destruction of the wicked she writes:

Quote:

This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

Earlier in the Desire of Ages she writes:

Quote:

To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them....The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. (DA 108)

She makes very clear that what destroys the wicked is not literal fire, but the light of glory of God, and that this same light gives life to the rightoues. Literal fire couldn't do this, could it?

I disagree that her writings are contradictory, but believe, just as with Scripture, you need to compare different texts to get the complete picture.

But this doesn't explain a very confusing thing. Why would post something from someone you believe is contradictory to substantiate a barbaric belief? What sense does that make?

Page 10 of 34 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 33 34

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!