HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: The Sin Problem #74367
06/06/06 03:28 PM
06/06/06 03:28 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

There was no necessity for anyone ever seeing any of God's works as unreasonable. That could happen, and indeed it did, but it needn't have.

Perhaps unreasonable is not the best word, but probably comes close. The point is that one does not see through it, and only faith; trusting oneself to God's judgment; is the option or otherwise rebellion.

This is exemplified by the experience of Christ in Gethsemane, when he prayed, let this cup pass from me, but not mine will but thine. At that point he could not see through the tomb.

Re: The Sin Problem #74368
06/06/06 03:42 PM
06/06/06 03:42 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, I think I see what you're saying. I'll tell you how I would say it, and you can let me know if I'm saying the same thing.

Since God is infinite, there would come a time when one would come across something one could not understand about Him. At this point one would need to trust in what one knew about His character, or rebel.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Sin Problem #74369
06/06/06 06:45 PM
06/06/06 06:45 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Yes that is the idea,

But trust him to the point of putting on the altar the "judgment throne" of one's being.

Like Isaac, like Abraham, like...

In other words God's glory (love) is in selflessness, and to be one with him, one has to enter in the fellowship of selflessness. Thus self needs to be set aside.

Re: The Sin Problem #74370
06/06/06 07:46 PM
06/06/06 07:46 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, but not reason. I'm not sure what putting putting the "judgment throne" of one's being on the altar means.

Let me try to reason from what I do understand you JB theology. Justification by faith involves setting aside our righteous for the righteousness of God, which would involve our way of seeing things, our way of judging, for God's way. I assume this is what you have in mind.

In our situation, this involves a sacrifice, because we have selfishness inwrought within our being. We don't like to admit we're wrong. This forum is a tremendous example of this trait of human nature.

God brings us to the point where we realize we are in error, and then we have the choice to accept truth or reject it, which results either in greater light or darkness. I think we're in tandemn here.

Now let's consider the case where sin has not entered the world. In this case, there really isn't a need for conflict, is there? It is self which originates conflict, isn't it? If created beings would continue to adhere to the principles which were inwrought into their beings, there would be no need for conflict. Selflessness would not involve conscious sacrifice; it would just be the standard operating procedure (I was going to say "SOP," but that could be taken to mean something else!)

I think you know I agree completely with your overall outlook on the Plan of Salvation; I'm just exploring with you a bit what things might have been like had sin not entered the picture, something which, clearly, we have to surmise.

Tom

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Sin Problem #74371
06/07/06 12:10 AM
06/07/06 12:10 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
I am with you.

Perhaps a meaningful way of saying it is: There comes a time when the judgment of self-interest (though sinless) needs to cross into the domain of love.

Even in a sinless world, the interaction of persons always requires give and take, and judgment is a factor. Judgment by its very nature deals with fairness, and occasions occur where fairness does not appear. The point of reference (paradigm shift) then needs to become “the Love chapter” when a righteousness which is not of the Law takes over; the righteousness of God apart from the Law. Those are the son’s of God.

Re: The Sin Problem #74372
06/07/06 12:15 AM
06/07/06 12:15 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Now let's consider the case where sin has not entered the world. In this case, there really isn't a need for conflict, is there? It is self which originates conflict, isn't it? If created beings would continue to adhere to the principles which were inwrought into their beings, there would be no need for conflict.

We need to remember that at creation one is not created born-again, but is created in a setting of faith and love. Judgment enters the scene as one grows, then mercy and grace need to be appropriated.

The strength of the kingdom of heaven is not in the lack of conflict, but in the greatness of Love.

Re: The Sin Problem #74373
06/07/06 01:25 AM
06/07/06 01:25 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

I'm not sure what putting the "judgment throne" of one's being on the altar means.

As I mentioned before, there is a time when it is not just a matter of giving up this or that, or a desire, but one comes to the point of having to deal with the whole concept of his righteousness/fairness. This is what I meant.

This is what happened with Lucifer. He was perfect in all his ways. He excelled in judgment/fairness. So he desired something which he thought was good. He desired that his judgment should be taken into the counsel. But this was not to be; he needed to lay down fairness and take hold of love. This did not appear as fair to him; from there proceeded other thoughts which eventually led to sin.

Re: The Sin Problem #74374
06/08/06 04:14 PM
06/08/06 04:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: That's it! Not one reason among many, but *the* reason. The word "alone" makes this clear: "That which alone ...."

MM: I disagree. True, the cross of Christ is the main reason restored sinners will not choose to sin throughout eternity. Crucifying Christ afresh would be unthinkable. But it is not the only reason. They will also choose not to sin because the personal results are unpleasant, namely, punishment and death. Also, the effect it would have upon fellow FMAs would be repulsive.

The GC was not necessary to prevent future sinning. Loyal FMAs chose not to sin because they were already convinced of the character and kingdom of God. They needed no further proof. Also, it was not necessary for Adam and Eve to sin in order to know God well enough to never want to sin again.

Had Adam and Eve successfully resisted Satan in the Garden of Eden the GC would have been settled once and forever – without sinning, and without the death of Jesus on the cross. The evil angels would have been destroyed without threatening the future security of the universe. The death of Jesus would not have been necessary to settle the GC or to safeguard the future.

Re: The Sin Problem #74375
06/10/06 05:36 AM
06/10/06 05:36 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

That which alone can effectually restrain from sin in this world of darkness, will prevent sin in heaven. The significance of the death of Christ will be seen by saints and angels.

What do you think "alone" means here?

No one has said the Great Controversy was necessary to prevent FMA's from sinning. There's no need to keep making this point. The Great Controversy arose *because* of sin, not to prevent it. I don't think anyone is questioning this.

If Adam and Eve had not sinned, the GC would *not* have been settled. This is not the only planet in the Universe! The questions which were answered by the cross would still have remained to be answered. Man's sinning or not sinning did not answer the questions, but the cross did, because it revealed God's character.

Had some other world sinned, Christ would have died for that world, and the question would have been answered in that way. Had no world sinned, then God would have had some way of dealing with the problem, and perhaps He will reveal what He would have done. But He would have done something! There's no question about that. The principle of the cross must be understood! That's what answers the question, just as the quote I've presented several times now points out.

Re: The Sin Problem #74376
06/10/06 03:22 PM
06/10/06 03:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I totally disagree, Tom. The cross of Christ did not settle all the issues related to the GC. That's why it's still raging right now. It did not end at the cross. And it will not end until the 144,000 vindicate the character and kingdom of God.

If Adam and Eve had successfully resisted Satan in the Garden of Eden Jesus would have destroyed the evil angels immediately. There would have been no reason to prolong their lives, no reason to delay destroying them instantly. Adam and Eve would have vindicated the kingdom and character of God had they refused to eat the forbidden fruit. Satan would have had no leg to stand on. His accusations would have been proven base and groundless.

The idea that Jesus had to suffer and die in order to vindicate the kingdom and character of God is false. It implies that sinning was necessary to disprove Satan’s accusations. Which is completely absurd. Besides, Jesus’ life and death were not enough to disprove Satan’s accusations, to vindicate God. Not until the 144,000 demonstrate loyalty during Jacob’s time of trouble will the GC be finally won. This same thing could have happened in the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve refusing to rebel.

ED 154
For those who love God, those who are "the called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28), Bible biography has a yet higher lesson of the ministry of sorrow. "Ye are My witnesses, saith the Lord, that I am God" (Isaiah 43:12)--witnesses that He is good, and that goodness is supreme. "We are made a theater unto the world, both (R.V., margin) to angels, and to men." 1 Corinthians 4:9, margin. {Ed 154.2}

AG 36
The fallen world is the battlefield for the greatest conflict the heavenly universe and earthly powers have ever witnessed. It was appointed as a theater on which would be fought out the grand struggle between good and evil, between heaven and hell. {AG 36.2}

DA 761
Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve. {DA 761.3}

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!