HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 35 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 34 35
Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77373
08/02/06 01:08 PM
08/02/06 01:08 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Which are the attributes of God?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77374
08/02/06 01:33 PM
08/02/06 01:33 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Does the concept of "self-existence" convey a Scriptural thought of any sort? (you said it is does not convey a Scriptural thought of life; I'm asking if it goes beyond this).

By saying that the thought is not Scriptural, are you saying simply that it is not in Scripture, or are you saying that it is contrary to Scripture? (I'm asking this because "not Scriptural" can be taken in these two different ways).

Self-existence is a term defining the type of existence; namely existence by ‘self’. It is not portraying pre-existence or eternal life. If it is not, ‘existing by self’, then it cannot be self-existence. The concept of self-existence can be conceived to mean either or both: existence by ones own un-killable physics; existence by one’s own spirit. In other words, it defines the source of existence; namely ‘self’.

Further, ‘existence’ is another word/expression that is not found in the scriptures. Hence conveys an idea that is not scriptural. When applied to a person, it conveys the idea of a life, yet not life, but existence without regard to the ‘nature of life’ of the person; yet it is as if existence gives life. This is not a scriptural concept. We exist because we have life; not that we have life because we exist. The expression ‘existence’ when applied to a person, therefore asserts life without regard to ‘quality or spirit’. ‘Self-existence’ is then the concept of ‘asserting the self-life without regard to quality or spirit. This is diametrically opposed to the scriptural concept of ‘life’, and especially so of ‘eternal life’.

Understanding it in context; if it is opposed to ‘life’, and especially so to ‘eternal life’, then it is ‘sin’.

Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77375
08/02/06 01:36 PM
08/02/06 01:36 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Which are the attributes of God?

God is Love.

Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77376
08/02/06 02:25 PM
08/02/06 02:25 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
If you are here saying that Love is what makes God, well, God, have you not then again distanced love from humans? For you are surely not saying that someone who love perfectly would become a god are you?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77377
08/03/06 12:07 AM
08/03/06 12:07 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Thomas, what I am saying is that 'Love' and 'self-existence' are mutually exclusive. My previous post relates more meaning on 'self-existence'and the issue here we are dealing with.

Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77378
08/03/06 12:18 AM
08/03/06 12:18 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John, it appears to me you just repeated what you wrote earlier. I'm asking a specific question, which is if you are asserting that "Jehovah, the self-existent One" is describing a concept which is simply not found in the Scriptures, or one which is contrary to what the Scriptures teach (which is a stronger thing to assert). The term "not Scriptural" is ambiguous, as it can be taken either way. Simply repeating the phrase doesn't help clear the ambiguity.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77379
08/03/06 02:09 AM
08/03/06 02:09 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
By James:
Does not agape need an equal object to love? Without an equal object to love, agape does not exist.
Unquote.

By John.
No, agape most certainly does not need an equal object to love, and it does exist without an object to love.

Second; agape requiring an object to love:
Agape exists in the heart of him who loves; it is not dependent on the object of its love.
Unquote.

I understand agape love is unselfish love, a love that seeks no self, a love that has no self in it. The question is: how is it possible to know this kind of love and to have this love in your heart when you are all alone?

When God is wandering all alone before Christ was brought forth, how could we accept Him as a God that His love is unselfish, when all He can do and know is to love him self?

I do not believe and can’t accept a single god who claimed that he is unselfish, that his love seeks no self while all what he knew and could do is to love him self.

Unselfish love I believe could only exist and experienced when there is some one to love, when there is an object to love, to make this object happy. Without the existence of an object to love, some one to love, to make this object happy, there would be only selfish love, or the love for self.

And I do believe that Adam has this unselfish love when he was created even there is no Eve, because he was created in the image of God and after his likeness, he was created with an unselfish heart to love God the way God loves him.

In His love

James S

Last edited by James Saptenno; 08/03/06 02:13 AM.
Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77380
08/03/06 02:24 AM
08/03/06 02:24 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
But combining my line of thought and John’s line of thought, I can accept that after Christ was brought forth, God learn what unselfish love is because now He has an object to love. In the passing years of eternity, they wandered together and learning to know and to grasp what unselfish love is; what agape is.

Since they learnt about agape, the creation of angles and man and the mission of Christ to die in saving men got an answer, which is to prove to each others between them, what unselfih love really is!

This idea makes sense to me.

There is always a question unanswered within me, what is the purpose of creation, when God knows before hand that Lucifer would sin, that Adam would sin?

This is God and His Son’s way to test each other love , whether their love is unselfish, whether they are willing to sacrifice with the risk of eternal lost and failure in mission and in their love.

It makes sense, right?

In His love

James S

Last edited by James Saptenno; 08/03/06 02:27 AM.
Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77381
08/03/06 02:38 AM
08/03/06 02:38 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Tom, I have given a ‘specifically defined answer’ to your question relating to the concept. I quote:

“This (self-existence) is diametrically opposed (contrary) to the scriptural concept (teaching) of ‘life’, and especially so of ‘eternal life’.”

additional context may be found above.

Re: Are we transgressing the 1st commandment or not? #77382
08/03/06 03:46 AM
08/03/06 03:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea that Ellen White wrote something which is diametrically opposed to Scripture. I realize she states she was not infallible (as no human is), but I do believe she was inspired. I don't believe in verbal inspiration, as fundamentalists believe, but am not comfortable in going as far as it appears you are.

Do you believe it is possible that one of the authors of Scripture could express something which is diametrically opposed to Scripture? This seems like a silly question, after posting it. It appears to me that you must either believe Ellen White was not inspired, or her inspiration is of a different character than that of the Scripture writers.

You may comment on this if you wish, or skip it if you prefer.

Let me go on to another question. You spoke of "crucial thought concepts" and suggested that if one could not express a concept using language which is not in Scripture, then it must be an idea that no writer of Scripture had. Do you understand that these crucial thought concepts are ideas which must be diametrially opposed to Scripture, or might they simply be a concept which is true, but not one that a Scripture writer enunciated?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 10 of 35 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 34 35

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!