HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8090
07/19/05 01:00 AM
07/19/05 01:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Will, is this the quote you had in mind? If so, it is interesting that it seems to imply that the saints require a shield while in the presence of God.

GC673
While the earth was wrapped in the fire of destruction, the righteous abode safely in the Holy City. Upon those that had part in the first resurrection, the second death has no power. While God is to the wicked a consuming fire, He is to His people both a sun and a shield. Revelation 20:6; Psalm 84:11. {GC 673.3}

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8091
07/19/05 05:38 AM
07/19/05 05:38 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thats it MM! [Smile]
God Bless,
Will

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8092
07/19/05 08:10 PM
07/19/05 08:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Will, I think mainline Adventism is in harmony on the great controversy, God's foreknowledge and control, the punishment and destruction of the unsaved in the lake of fire, and the second coming of Christ. There is apparently a small element of believers who disagree, who also would have us believe their views represent mainline Adventism. The issue regarding the glory of God, and how it relates to the punishment and destruction of the unsaved, is an insight especially unique to the SOP that is probably unfamiliar to most Adventists, at least, that's what I'm assuming.

Tom: Your statement, even if it were true, wouldn't mean anything, because truth is not and never has been decided by numbers. If we want to decide things on the basis of number, we might as well become Catholics.

But despite that, there is no doubt that your own personal views are in the extreme minority and can be in no way construed as mainstream Adventism. You have stated that God is the "author of death". This is not mainstream Adventism. Your views are more akin to mainstream Calvinism than mainstream Adventism, which comes from a Wesleyan tradition, which is Arminianist in its roots, not Calvinistic. Given this it seems most odd to me that you would post a comment in which you apparently are attempting to put yourself as a part of mainstream Adventism, while those of us who hold the views of A. T. Jones, W. W. Prescott, E. J. Waggoner (all of which were strongly and repeatedly endorsed by the Spirit of Prophesy) and Ellen G. White herself are a "small element of believers."

Be that as it may, I agree that there are few who see the beauty in God's character, and it has always been Satan's plan to keep that beauty from being seen. However, I also believe that more and more are seeing the truth about God, and that the number of this "small element" is daily increasing, and this "element" also includes non-SDA's. I'm planning to post some things from a non-SDA author who writes things which are viturually indistinguishable from what Ty Gibson has wrote, and also EGW (perhaps most notably in her article "God manifest in the flesh").

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8093
07/19/05 08:18 PM
07/19/05 08:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank for your answer to my questions, MM. You state that Lucifer did nothing more or less than what God foresaw, and that he did do something God wished he hadsn't done. You wrote:

quote:
Yes, Lucifer did something God wished he hadn’t done, namely, sin and rebel.
I'm having trouble what you mean by "wished" here. Since Lucifer would do nothing different in any degree that exactly that for which God had created Him, given that he does nothing more or less that what God foresaw he would do, in what sense can it be said that God "wished" Lucifer didn't do what God always knew He would? In the sense of "I wish I hadn't created Lucifer the way I did"?

At any rate, just to make clear, from your answers I am understanding that you are indeed asserting, ( and hence in agreement with me if this is true) that Lucifer did in fact put into action a plan which was contrary to God's plan. Hence it *is* possible for us to act contrary to God's will and institute plans that He "wishes" we wouldn't do. Correct?

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8094
07/19/05 10:50 PM
07/19/05 10:50 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Tom states:

"But despite that, there is no doubt that your own personal views are in the extreme minority and can be in no way construed as mainstream Adventism. You have stated that God is the "author of death". This is not mainstream Adventism. Your views are more akin to mainstream Calvinism than mainstream Adventism, which comes from a Wesleyan tradition, which is Arminianist in its roots, not Calvinistic. Given this it seems most odd to me that you would post a comment in which you apparently are attempting to put yourself as a part of mainstream Adventism, while those of us who hold the views of A. T. Jones, W. W. Prescott, E. J. Waggoner (all of which were strongly and repeatedly endorsed by the Spirit of Prophesy) and Ellen G. White herself are a "small element of believers."

I see this as a very clear revelation of the thousands of posts I have read of MM's over the years. Thank you for boiling it done to the bare bones.

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8095
07/19/05 11:46 PM
07/19/05 11:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the quote "God is the author of death" must be understood in its broader context. Divorced from its context it does, indeed, sound absurd. Again, sin and death were not possible before God created beings capable of sinning and dying. I assume you agree with this basic premise. God knew in advance, before He started creating FMAs, that men and angels would sin and rebel. I assume you disagree with this basic premise.

God knows the end from the beginning, like watching a rerun. I know for a fact that you disagree with this basic premise. In spite of the fact God knew men and angels would sin, and would, therefore, have to die in the lake of fire, He chose to create them anyhow. He could have decided against creating FMAs, and sin and death never would have occurred. But that’s not what happened. The moment God chose to create men and angels, sin and death were inevitable. I assume you disagree with this basic premise.

God is the author of life. All life originates with God. Only God can sustain life. I assume you agree with this basic premise. When God chose to bestow life upon beings, who He knew in advance would sin and rebel, He created a situation where death was inevitable. Here is where it gets tricky. This is the part about the creation of men and angels that is shrouded in mystery. They were made perfect and holy, so why they chose to sin and rebel is unexplainable, a total mystery. Nevertheless, God foresaw it.

“But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning. . . . Therefore redemption was not an afterthought . . . but an eternal purpose to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world but for the good of all the worlds which God has created.”

God foresaw the fall of men and angels. His plan for the universe accommodated it, but in no way is God to blame for the existence of the great controversy. Yes, if God hadn’t created them in the first place, sin and death would have been impossible. So, in one sense, God created a situation where sin and death was inevitable (not just possible). But He did not create them or cause them to fall. There was nothing wrong with how they were designed or created. They were perfectly suited to a life of happiness and holiness. The fact they fell is a great mystery. That God foresaw it and chose to create them anyhow is not a mystery. "... for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness."

“Nothing is more plainly taught in Scripture than that God was in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin; that there was no arbitrary withdrawal of divine grace, no deficiency in the divine government, that gave occasion for the uprising of rebellion. Sin is an intruder, for whose presence no reason can be given. It is mysterious, unaccountable; to excuse it is to defend it. Could excuse for it be found, or cause be shown for its existence, it would cease to be sin.”

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8096
07/20/05 05:37 AM
07/20/05 05:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
What I was taking issue with, MM, was your apparent desire to place yourself as a part of Mainstream Adventism, while place others, who have expressed the following view:

quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1}
MM, you have a number of ideas which are not mainstream. I just picked one at random. Asserting that God has killed billions upon billions of people is another. There's a whole long list. I can post them if you're interested.

The whole point is moot anyway, because, as I pointed out in the post you are responding to, truth is not decided by numbers. If we believe it does, then we should become Catholics. If we don't, then why bring up arguments that "I am mainstream, but you aren't."

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8097
07/20/05 11:08 AM
07/20/05 11:08 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Tell us, please, MM:

Is God killing your fellow Arizonians in this heat wave?

Would you go on your local TV and state that?

If not, why not?

Is it His will that little old ladies die gasping for breath in sweltering heat? Would you say that if ask to preach their funerals?

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8098
07/20/05 04:05 PM
07/20/05 04:05 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
First and foremost I think some of the mudslinging to MM needs to tone down abit in regards to who is in control. Seriously Phil to put words in his mouth is far fetched.
One thing no one seems to grasp is that any little old lady who dies and is in Christ will come up in the first resurrection, so its a moot point. Its not about us, but about the Glory of His Name, so if you sleep the sleep of death that Christ can wake you up from.. you'll sleep, if you make it through then you do and Praise God for that!
His wrath will be poured out as we read in Revelation on the wicked, He wiped out all but 8 people, and even regretted creating the people that populated the pre-flood world, yet He had a remnant, who hearkened to the voice of God and lived, He turned Sodom & Gomorrah into a pile of ash.
God can and does do mamy things our finite minds do not grasp, and He wants us to live He knows what we are going through. He knows the end from the beginning. No where in the Bible is it stated that God is not in control, no where in the Bible is it stated that He does not destroy the wicked, ad we see in the Bible that he will give people over to their own lusts, and deceit, and He will hand them over to satan as well. he is not a robot who can only create, and save. He made the sun go backwards, and stopped time for starters.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8099
07/20/05 04:19 PM
07/20/05 04:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree that we should watch our rhetoric, and sometimes Phil does come across to me as a bit sharp. However, this is not, IMO, one of these times. Phil did not put words in MM's mouth, but simply asked questions, and questions which are pertinent.

When one asserts that God is in control, what does that mean? Neither Phil nor I nor John B. has ever asserted, to the best of my knowledge, that God is not in control. Now what we mean by saying that God is in control, and what MM means, are very different, and Phil's questions are getting to the nitty gritty of what this difference is.

I'd ask you the same question as well. When you say that God is in control, what does that mean? Was it according to God's plan that sin should exist? Did He plan for Adam and Eve to sin? Or was that something which happened which was against His will?

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!