HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8140
07/30/05 03:57 AM
07/30/05 03:57 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: I don't see how you have addressed the argument in any way. Please do so.

For your convenience, I'm reposting it:

quote:
Here's the argument laid out more formally:
1)God has known from all eternity that I will have pizza tomorrow for lunch.
2)Therefore I will have pizza for lunch tomorrow.

It should be made clear that 1) does not cause 2) from a sense of force, but from a sense of logic. God is not forcing me to have pizza for lunch tomorrow, but it is a logical consequence of step 1) that I will have pizza for lunch tomorrow.

Now let's consider the contrapositive. Remember that if an argument is valid, the fact that A implies B means that ~A impies ~B (i.e., the converse of A implies the converse of B). So we assume I do not have pizza for lunch tomorrow we have:
~2) I do not have pizza for lunch tomorrow.
~1) God has not known for all eternity that I will have pizza tomorrow.

But we started out assuming that 1) was true, therefore ~2 is not possible. Hence it is not possible for me to have pizza tomorrow. Hence, I do not have the freedom of choosing not to eat pizza tomorrow. I only have the perception of being able to make a choice other than pizza, not the actual ability to choose other than pizza.

If the argument is invalid (specifically the part in bold) then either one of my premises is false, or some construct of the argument is invalid. Since you disagree with the conclusion, of these things must hold for your disagreement to be reasonable (i.e. either a premise of mine is faulty, or some point I'm reasoning is valid, meaning that something I have concluded does not really follow from a premise).

So please point out explicitly what premised you disagree with, or what reasoning you do not think is valid and why.

Thank you.

(If you still wish me to, after responding to this, I will be happy to respond to your previous post)

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8141
07/29/05 06:47 PM
07/29/05 06:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
But we started out assuming that 1) was true, therefore ~2 is not possible. Hence it is not possible for me to have pizza tomorrow. Hence, I do not have the freedom of choosing not to eat pizza tomorrow. I only have the perception of being able to make a choice other than pizza, not the actual ability to choose other than pizza.
Is there a word missing in this sentence? Shouldn't it read, Hence it is not possible for me not to have pizza tomorrow. Also, I would reword "not the actual ability to choose other than pizza" to say - we will not choose other than pizza.

At any rate, I agree with the first formula. But the second formula does not make sense to me. If we assume God does not know the future then a formula wouldn’t be necessary. We wouldn’t have to conclude, based on what we choose to do, that God doesn’t know the future. It wouldn’t even occur to us to surmise such a thing. Trying to reverse the first formula to end up with a contradictory second formula makes no sense to me.

quote:
(If you still wish me to, after responding to this, I will be happy to respond to your previous post)

Please do.

PS - I'll be away for the next several days. Happy Sabbath.

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8142
07/30/05 05:16 AM
07/30/05 05:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you for the Happy Sabbath wish.

Here's one explanation of how God can know the future. Everything that happens can be reduced to the movmements of particles (such as atoms, molecules, and so on). God knows all of the possible paths all the unnumbered particles can take, and can see these results perfectly, because He is infinitely intelligent. So God can see the future perfectly without any need of it being in nature like a T.V. rerun.

Regarding the argument, here it is again:

1) Assume God has known somthing, an event, which we will call E1, will occur at time T for all eternity.
2) It follows that at time T, E1 must occur.

Now assume that E1 doesn't occur. Then, by the fact that if A=>B then ~B=>~A, it would follow that God has not known that thing for all eternity. So ~E1 is not possible.

In terms of pizza, if God has known from all eternity that I will have pizza at some time T, then it is not possible that at that time T I will not have pizza. That is, it is not possible for me to choose to have pizza at time T, because I cannot have pizza at time T, because such an act would mean that God did not know from all eternity that I would eat pizza at time T.

In order for me to have free will, it must be possible for me at time T to either eat the pizza or not eat the pizza. However, I have shown that it is not possible for me to not eat the pizza. Therefore I do not have free will to eat the pizza or not eat the pizza at time T. I may think I do, but I really don't. It's not simply that I won't refrain from eating the pizza at time T, but I cannot. It's not a logical possibility. It's as impossibile for me not to eat that pizza at time T as it is for me to fly to the moon.

I hope that was clear.

By the way, you cannot accept the formulation of a valid argument of the type A=>B and not accept ~B=>~A following the normal formal laws of logic. For example, if it is raining, then it is cloudy is an argument of the form A=>B. The contrapositive would be, if it's not cloudy, then it must not be raining. If you accept the argument that if it's raining, it must be cloudy, then the argument if it's not cloudy, it must not be raining follows.

Similarly, if you accept the argument, if God has known something will happen for all eternity, then that thing will happen, the argument if the thing does not happen, then God did not know from all eternity that the thing would happen follows. If we say it is impossible for God know to know the thing would happen from all eternity, then it is equally impossible for the thing not to happen. If that thing is my eathing pizza, for example, then it is impossible for me not to eat pizza. If I cannot actually not eat the pizza, then I cannot choose not to eat the pizza, because I cannot refrain from eathing the pizza without choosing not to eat it. Therefore I cannot choose not to eat the pizza. Therefor I do not have free choice, as far as my not eathing the pizza is concerned.

Now this same argument can be repeated for any act of my life, so it follows that I do not have the free will to choose to do anything contrary to what God has known from all eternity I would do. Given that God known everything I will do, I do not have free will regarding anything I do. I am not really free, but merely have a false impression that I do.

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8143
08/03/05 04:01 PM
08/03/05 04:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you have made it clear that God does not know the future, that He only knows all the possibilities, that if He knew the future it would make us robots, devoid of freedom. However, are we any more or less free if our choices are limited to the possibilities God is aware of?

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8144
08/03/05 06:11 PM
08/03/05 06:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I have NEVER said that God does not know the future, so please quit writing that!! If you read over what I've written, I have stated dozens of times that God knows the future perfectly. Why don't you write that. E.g.

"Tom, you have made it clear that you believe that God knows the future perfectly." Why would you write I have made something "clear" which I have expressly and repeatedly denied?

If we are free to do anything which is possible for us to do, but not free to do things which are impossible for us to do, then we are as free as it is possible for us to be. That makes sense, doesn't it?

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8145
08/03/05 06:24 PM
08/03/05 06:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
... that He only knows all the possibilities, that if He knew [our] future [choices] it would make us robots, devoid of freedom. However, are we any more or less free if our choices are limited to the possibilities God is aware of?

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8146
08/03/05 10:04 PM
08/03/05 10:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
That's a strange way to write a post. It took me a while to figure out what you were doing. At first I thought you were quoting me, and then I saw you were quoting yourself. Apparently the point of the post is the part in bold, to re-ask the question. I addressed that question in the last paragraph of my previous post.

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8147
08/03/05 11:35 PM
08/03/05 11:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
If we are free to do anything which is possible for us to do, but not free to do things which are impossible for us to do, then we are as free as it is possible for us to be. That makes sense, doesn't it?
Yes. And the fact God knows in advance exactly which choices we will make does not, in any way, rob us of our freedom to choose. But, if you maintain that God only knows which choices we are capable of making, how, then, is your view less limiting than mine? How can God enjoy not knowing what we will do? Are we capable of making choices that God has not foreseen?

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8148
08/04/05 04:29 PM
08/04/05 04:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Yes. And the fact God knows in advance exactly which choices we will make does not, in any way, rob us of our freedom to choose.

Tom: So what? This isn't the issue under discussion, as I've pointed out many, many, many times. I have never asserted this point, but have pointed out many, many, many times that the problem is a logical problem, not an issue of God's foreknowledge causing anything. The logical problem has to do with the future's being fixed.

MM: But, if you maintain that God only knows which choices we are capable of making, how, then, is your view less limiting than mine?

Tom: Because you believe the future is fixed, which means we can only make one choice. I believe we can make more than one choice. That's how your view is more restrictive then mine; because "more than one" is greater than one.

MM: How can God enjoy not knowing what we will do?

Tom: Why would God enjoy a creation which was spontaneous and not robot-like? Because God likes freedom and spontaneaity.

MM: Are we capable of making choices that God has not foreseen?

Tom: God sees everything, so we'd have to be able to do something which does not exist a possibility, which would be difficult.

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8149
08/04/05 05:00 PM
08/04/05 05:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
God sees everything, so we'd have to be able to do something which does not exist a possibility, which would be difficult.
Tom, like it or not, your view of the future is no different than mine, at least in principle. You believe it would be "difficult" for us to make choices that God hasn't foreseen, which strongly implies our choices are limited to God's knowledge of the future. To use your logic, we are not truly free, we only think we are free. To be truly free, according to your opinion, our future choices must completely open, totally unforeseen. There should be nothing "difficult" about it.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!