HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 51 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Rosangela] #81486
11/23/06 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, if all that God requires of us to be born again is to acknowledge that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died for the sins of the world, and nothing else - no more truth, no more doctrine - then who isn't born again? According to your view everyone who is baptized is born again.

Why did Sister White observe that rebirth is rare? that many, so many who name the name of Jesus are not born again? Also, why did she counsel us to properly prepare baptismal candidates?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81487
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
“I saw that there is not one in twenty who knows what experimental religion is.” (1T 496)

“Not one in twenty of those who have a good standing with Seventh-day Adventists is living out the self-sacrificing principles of the word of God.” (1T 632)

“It is a solemn statement that I make to the church, that not one in twenty whose names are registered upon the church books are prepared to close their earthly history, and would be as verily without God and without hope in the world as the common sinner.” (ChS 41)

“We need also much more knowledge; we need to be enlightened in regard to the plan of salvation. There is not one in one hundred who understands for himself the Bible truth on this subject that is so necessary to our present and eternal welfare.” (1SM 359)

“Not one in a hundred among us is doing anything beyond engaging in common, worldly enterprises. We are not half awake to the worth of the souls for whom Christ died.” (8T 147)

“The new birth is a rare experience in this age of the world. This is the reason why there are so many perplexities in the churches. Many, so many, who assume the name of Christ are unsanctified and unholy. They have been baptized, but they were buried alive. Self did not die, and therefore they did not rise to newness of life in Christ.” (6BC 1075)

“There is need of a more thorough preparation on the part of candidates for baptism. They are in need of more faithful instruction than has usually been given them. The principles of the Christian life should be made plain to those who have newly come to the truth. . . . The line of demarcation will be plain and distinct between those who love God and keep His commandments, and those who love Him not and disregard His precepts. . . .

“Satan does not want anyone to see the necessity of an entire surrender to God. When the soul fails to make this surrender, sin is not forsaken; the appetites and passions are striving for the mastery; temptations confuse the conscience, so that true conversion does not take place. If all had a sense of the conflict which each soul must wage with satanic agencies that are seeking to ensnare, entice, and deceive, there would be much more diligent labor for those who are young in the faith. . . .

“Baptism is a most sacred and important ordinance, and there should be a thorough understanding as to its meaning. It means repentance for sin, and the entrance upon a new life in Christ Jesus. There should be no undue haste to receive the ordinance. . . . Read to them the teaching of the Bible in regard to conversion. Show what is the fruit of conversion, the evidence that they love God. Show that true conversion is a change of heart, of thoughts and purposes. Evil habits are to be given up. The sins of evil-speaking, of jealousy, of disobedience, are to be put away. A warfare must be waged against every evil trait of character. . . .

“The test of discipleship is not brought to bear as closely as it should be upon those who present themselves for baptism. It should be understood whether they are simply taking the name of Seventh-day Adventists, or whether they are taking their stand on the Lord’s side, to come out from the world and be separate, and touch not the unclean thing. Before baptism there should be a thorough inquiry as to the experience of the candidates. Let this inquiry be made, not in a cold and distant way, but kindly, tenderly, pointing the new converts to the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world. Bring the requirements of the gospel to bear upon the candidates for baptism. . . .

“All who study the life of Christ and practice His teachings will become like Christ. Their influence will be like His. They will reveal soundness of character. As they walk in the humble path of obedience, doing the will of God, they exert an influence that tells for the advancement of the cause of God and the healthful purity of His work. In these thoroughly converted souls the world is to have a witness to the sanctifying power of truth upon the human character.

“The knowledge of God and of Jesus Christ, expressed in character, is an exaltation above everything that is esteemed in earth or in heaven. It is the very highest education. It is the key that opens the portals of the heavenly city. This knowledge it is God’s purpose that all who put on Christ by baptism shall possess. And it is the duty of God’s servants to set before these souls the privilege of their high calling in Christ Jesus.” (6T 91-97)

“There is one thing that we have no right to do, and that is to judge another man’s heart or impugn his motives. But when a person presents himself as a candidate for church membership, we are to examine the fruit of his life, and leave the responsibility of his motive with himself. But great care should be exercised in accepting members into the church; for Satan has his specious devices through which he purposes to crowd false brethren into the church, through whom he can work more successfully to weaken the cause of God.” (RH 1-10-1893)

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81488
11/23/06 04:40 PM
11/23/06 04:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
R: Then why didn’t the Holy Spirit reveal it to them? Why didn’t the gleams of the purity of Christ make this spot of defilement painfully distinct to them?

MM: It became painfully evident to them that polygamy is a source of stress and unrest for the family. But those who backslide do not care about such things. They do whatever seems pleasing to them at the time. It’s the same way with any other sin. Backsliders are not concerned about doing what pleases God.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81507
11/23/06 06:33 PM
11/23/06 06:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, if all that God requires of us to be born again is to acknowledge that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died for the sins of the world, and nothing else - no more truth, no more doctrine - then who isn't born again?

God doesn't "require" things in order for us to be born again, as if it were some sort of deal or something like that. The process of being born again is laid out here:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8.(DA 175, 176)

Our being born again is not dependent upon our knowledge. God doesn't "require" that we "acknowledge" Christ is the Son of God, or anything else. God "requires" that we be reconciled to Him, and God accomplishes this, if we don't resist, by revealing Himself to us.

The way you phrased your question makes it appear that you view conversion as having to do with knowledge and mental assent. Conversion has to do with an appreciation of God, who He is, and what He has done for us. It involves our responding to His love by giving ourselves to Him, uniting our will to His will, becoming one with Him.

It certainly isn't dependent upon our remember every sin we've committed and confessing it.

According to your view everyone who is baptized is born again.

Where do you get this idea from? Where did I say anything whatsoever about baptism? Ever. I mean even once. I'm truly amazed as to where some of your ideas come from.

Why did Sister White observe that rebirth is rare?

The answer to this question is obvious. It's because it is rare.

that many, so many who name the name of Jesus are not born again?

Again the answer to your question is obvious. It is because to many who name the name of Jesus are not born again.

Perhaps what you're really wanting to ask is why being born again is a rare event?

Also, why did she counsel us to properly prepare baptismal candidates?

Because it's a good thing to have baptismal candidates properly prepared.

I'm not seeing how any of your questions have anything to do with what we were talking about, which is your idea, assuming I've understood it correctly, that before one can be born again one must confess all of one's cultivated tendencies to evil.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Rosangela] #81531
11/24/06 04:43 AM
11/24/06 04:43 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: When I was converted, God didn't wait for me to confess my cultivated evil. A girl presented me the Gospel, the Holy Spirit presented Christ to me, and I considered what I wanted to do, decided to accept Christ, and that was it. I can't recall the Holy Spirit convicting me of any sins, let alone all of them. There certainly wasn't any "patient, protracted process" which involved God's making my sins known to me.

MM: What is the difference, in your mind, between conversion and rebirth and baptism?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81534
11/24/06 05:17 AM
11/24/06 05:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I see no difference between conversion and rebirth. These are just two terms for the same thing. Baptism is a formal recognition, or public proclamation, of a decision which one has made.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81536
11/24/06 10:05 AM
11/24/06 10:05 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
MM: It became painfully evident to them that polygamy is a source of stress and unrest for the family. But those who backslide do not care about such things. They do whatever seems pleasing to them at the time. It’s the same way with any other sin. Backsliders are not concerned about doing what pleases God.

I don't get it. Were Abraham, Jacob, David, Elkanah all backsliders?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Rosangela] #81542
11/24/06 03:35 PM
11/24/06 03:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I was wondering the same thing. (that Rosangela said)

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Rosangela] #81545
11/24/06 04:21 PM
11/24/06 04:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
In Abraham's time polygamy ceased to be regarded as a sin. In David's time it was the result of backsliding.

PP 145
Polygamy had become so widespread that it had ceased to be regarded as a sin, but it was no less a violation of the law of God, and was fatal to the sacredness and peace of the family relation. {PP 145.1}

4aSG 86
[David] finally fell into the common practice of other kings around him, of having a plurality of wives, and his life was imbittered by the evil results of polygamy. {4aSG 86.1}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81546
11/24/06 04:30 PM
11/24/06 04:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I see no difference between conversion and rebirth. These are just two terms for the same thing. Baptism is a formal recognition, or public proclamation, of a decision which one has made.

MM: Tom, please help me understand your testimony. Were you converted and born again the day you “accepted” Jesus? Were you converted and born again before the Holy Spirit revealed to you any of your sins and defects? Were you converted and born again with all of your sins and defects in tact? Were you fit to enter the kingdom of God the instant you accepted Jesus?

John
3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Page 12 of 51 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!