HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 51 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #82453
12/13/06 05:46 AM
12/13/06 05:46 AM
5th Generation  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Calgary, Alberta
MM: Does this apply to truths necessary to crucify our cultivated sinful habits? In other words, is God withholding truths needful to overcome our cultivated sinful habits? Is He waiting to reveal these truths until the end of time? If so, this doesn’t make sense to me. It makes God responsible for the cultivated sinful habits we do not crucify. Do you see what I mean?

Terry: my intention was not to infer that God witholds truth needed to overcome our sinful habits. Faith is the victory over our habits; God will change our needs and desires if we will let Him but it can take deeep faith. What God; in my understanding is revealing to us in these last days is His character. His character is what we need to emulate, by His power, that we will be able to glorify Him to the world and be ready for translation. Our relationship with God must be based on a true understanding of who He is and how He deals with humanity and the sin problem. If we do not know Him how can we truly have an everlasting relationship with Him?

MM: I agree with this principle, but it sounds like we are applying it differently. I believe it applies to intellectual truths, and not to truths required to cultivate character. God will not change our character when returns. All character defects must be revealed and confessed and crucified before we die.

Terry: Indeed God will not change our character except we allow Him. A person can have a character totally in harmony with God and yet not know all the truth about God. I believe the thief on the cross is one of the best examples, David, a man after god's heart is a second and so on. these are acceptable to God and into the kingdom.

MM: I realize God makes certain exceptions in cases involving the Gentiles Paul referred to in Romans, but we cannot make wide sweeping generalizations based on it. For example, Sister White wrote about certain slaves not making it to heaven:

EW 276
I saw that the slave master [SEE APPENDIX.] will have to answer for the soul of his slave whom he has kept in ignorance; and the sins of the slave will be visited upon the master. God cannot take to heaven the slave who has been kept in ignorance and degradation, knowing nothing of God or the Bible, fearing nothing but his master's lash, and holding a lower position than the brutes. But He does the best thing for him that a compassionate God can do. He permits him to be as if he had not been, while the master must endure the seven last plagues and then come up in the second resurrection and suffer the second, most awful death. Then the justice of God will be satisfied. {EW 276.1}

Terry: Sister White is in harmony with scripture the key I believe is in her statement that he knows nothing of God. in other words he has not hearkened to the Holy Spirit.

Terry: I wonder, do we subconsciously struggle with giving God authority over our understanding and this then becomes the wall we run into that makes it seem so difficult to give up those sinful practices.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

May God bless all of us as we search for the tools we need in the completion of partnering with God to fulfill His purpose in us.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #82458
12/13/06 01:51 PM
12/13/06 01:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM: I agree. There are times when God chooses not to point out to certain individuals that smoking and drinking are sinful habits that must be confessed and forsaken before they can be rewarded with eternal life.

In such cases God winks at ignorance.

This is agreeing with what I said, and disagreeing with you said previously. You had been saying that every sinful habit must be revealed before conversion, which you are now seeing is not the case, which is good.

I'm glad we're finally on the same page.

So God reveals some sinful habits before conversion, and some afterwards, which is what everyone here believes.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #82465
12/13/06 04:31 PM
12/13/06 04:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I'm glad we're finally on the same page.

MM: Tom, there is more to it. Here’s what I wrote about it:

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
MM: Not so. Even in your quote it is there – “If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ.” Not one sinful, cultivated habit is left unrevealed, to be brought to our attention later on.

TE: There's nothing in the quote that says what you wrote. You just added it, without justification.

MM: I disagree. Here’s how I see it:

“If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour.” The word “sins” is plural. Every sinful habit we have cultivated crucified Jesus. Not one doesn’t. Therefore, we will be led to repent of each one. Not one will be reserved by the Holy Spirit to be dealt with after we are born again.

“Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ.” The “new life” does not include the sinful habits we cultivated during our old life. Our “thoughts and desires” are in obedience to the will of Christ. Not one is allowed to continue cultivating our former sinful habits.

…………………

TE: If the person could be in heaven for the reason that they were not convicted of the sinful habit, then your assertion that no one can be converted unless every sinful habit is revealed and confessed is false. You would have to replace it with the assertion that one is not lost unless the sinful habit is one which has been revealed and the person refused to repent, in which case you would be in agreement with me and many others.

MM: I agree. There are times when God chooses not to point out to certain individuals that smoking and drinking are sinful habits that must be confessed and forsaken before they can be rewarded with eternal life.

In such cases God winks at ignorance. Thus, they are not guilty of refusing to obey God. The Gentiles Paul mentioned in Romans fall into this category of people who will be saved in spite of the fact they did not know all truth.

Romans
2:13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
2:15 Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

It would be fruitful to explore why God chooses not to reveal certain sinful habits. In well-informed America, would God choose not to reveal to smokers and drinkers that these sinful habits must be given up in order to experience the miracle of rebirth?

For example, during one of our many public SDA evangelistic crusades, would God choose not to reveal these truths? Would He choose to not make giving up smoking and drinking a prerequisite for rebirth?

Please address the points I raised. Thank you.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #82466
12/13/06 04:44 PM
12/13/06 04:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Terry: A person can have a character totally in harmony with God and yet not know all the truth about God.

MM: What do you mean by the “truth about God”? Are there truths, already revealed and not yet revealed, that do not contribute to the perfection of Christian character?

Also, are the 144,000 the only ones ready to be translated alive? In other words, what if the people who will come up in the first resurrection hadn’t died – were they also ready to be translated alive? What was it about Enoch and Elijah that made it possible for them to be translated alive? Were they just as ready as the 144,000?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #82480
12/13/06 09:27 PM
12/13/06 09:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I don't know what point you want addressed.

What I see is this:

1)You wrote that all sinful habits, without exception, must be revealed by the Holy Spirit to us, and confessed, before we are converted.

2)I asked if smoking and drinking are sinful habits.

3)You said yes, and exempted these habits as being among those which must be revealed by God and confessed before one is converted.

So what this means is that God reveals some sinful habits before conversion, and some He doesn't, which is what I was saying, making you on the same page with the rest of us.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #82481
12/13/06 09:31 PM
12/13/06 09:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I do see a couple of questions that can be addressed:

Quote:

It would be fruitful to explore why God chooses not to reveal certain sinful habits. In well-informed America, would God choose not to reveal to smokers and drinkers that these sinful habits must be given up in order to experience the miracle of rebirth?

For example, during one of our many public SDA evangelistic crusades, would God choose not to reveal these truths? Would He choose to not make giving up smoking and drinking a prerequisite for rebirth?

Regarding well-informed America, I know many who smoke and drink who have been converted.

Regarding SDA evangelistic crusades, God doesn't choose what to bring out in these crusades, the evangelists do.

Regarding giving up smoking and drinking being a prerequisite for rebirth, it never has been. The prerequites for rebirth are repentance and faith.

Quote:
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. (Psalm 34:38)

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #82516
12/14/06 05:24 PM
12/14/06 05:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, by agreeing that there are times when God chooses not to reveal certain sinful habits to baptismal candidates, before they experience the miracle of rebirth, I want to qualify it by explaining the extenuating circumstances. Again, we both agree it is God who chooses when to reveal or not to reveal certain sinful habits. It is not up to the evangelist.

In the case of smokers and drinkers, especially in well-informed places like America, I do not believe God approves of SDA evangelists baptizing them before they confess and forsake smoking and drinking. I realize it happens, but I do not believe God ordains it. I believe God expects SDA evangelists and pastors to thoroughly indoctrinate baptismal candidates in matters of diet, dress, health, and doctrine before consenting to baptize them.

Do you agree?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #82528
12/14/06 09:01 PM
12/14/06 09:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, by agreeing that there are times when God chooses not to reveal certain sinful habits to baptismal candidates, before they experience the miracle of rebirth, I want to qualify it by explaining the extenuating circumstances. Again, we both agree it is God who chooses when to reveal or not to reveal certain sinful habits. It is not up to the evangelist.

Of course it's up to the evangelist what he chooses to talk about. God isn't limited by an evangelist, of course, but your hypothetical was dealing with an SDA evangelist speaking about the health message, so in this scenario it's likely that what the user is convicted about will have to do with what the evangelist talks about. But the health message is often brought up after Christ is anyway, so if the listeners respond to the invitation to accept Christ before the healh message is talked about, it's likely none of those things would have been brought up. But as a converted person, once they are brought up, later on, they could be convicted about them then. That's a likely scenario.

In the case of smokers and drinkers, especially in well-informed places like America, I do not believe God approves of SDA evangelists baptizing them before they confess and forsake smoking and drinking.

Conversion is not dependent upon baptism.

I realize it happens, but I do not believe God ordains it. I believe God expects SDA evangelists and pastors to thoroughly indoctrinate baptismal candidates in matters of diet, dress, health, and doctrine before consenting to baptize them.

Do you agree?

None of this matters, as far as the issue we were discussing is involved. I agree that baptismal candidates should be properly instructed.

You had said earlier that all sinful habits cultivated from birth had to be revealed by the Holy Spirit and confessed before one could be converted. This is false. You have admitted this is false by allowing an exception for smoking and drinking. You should acknowledge that your original statement was wrong, and that you are presenting the same idea as the rest of us have been, which is that God reveals some sinful habits, and some He doesn't (He "winks" at them, to use your language).

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #82560
12/15/06 06:38 AM
12/15/06 06:38 AM
5th Generation  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Calgary, Alberta
MM: What do you mean by the “truth about God”? Are there truths, already revealed and not yet revealed, that do not contribute to the perfection of Christian character?

Terry: Christian perfection is to be like Christ. How can one be like Christ except that he knows His character, His ways and His plans for us. How many truly know who God is and what His plans are? In these last days each person, I believe must have a true relationship with God; one that is based on a spiritual and truthful understanding of the principles that God sets as His own and ours. These are the eternal principles that will fulfill all life for eternity. These are the truths God has set before us for our acceptance or rejection.

MM: Also, are the 144,000 the only ones ready to be translated alive? In other words, what if the people who will come up in the first resurrection hadn’t died – were they also ready to be translated alive? What was it about Enoch and Elijah that made it possible for them to be translated alive? Were they just as ready as the 144,000?

Terry: From E.G.White
Soon we heard the voice of God like many waters, which gave us the day and hour of Jesus' coming. The living saints, 144,000 in number, knew and understood the voice, while the wicked thought it was thunder and an earthquake. When God spake the time, He poured upon us the Holy Spirit, and our faces began to light up and shine with the glory of God, as Moses' did when he came down from Mount Sinai. {1T 59.1}
The 144,000 were all sealed and perfectly united. On their foreheads were the words God, New Jerusalem, and a glorious star containing Jesus' new name. At our happy, holy state the wicked were enraged, and would rush violently up to lay hands on us to thrust us into prison, when we would stretch forth the hand in the name of the Lord, and they would fall helpless to the ground. Then it was that the synagogue of Satan knew that God had loved us, who could wash one another's feet, and salute the brethren with a holy kiss, and they worshiped at our feet.
{1T 59.2}
Soon our eyes were drawn to the east, for a small black cloud had appeared, about half as large as a man's hand, which we all knew was the sign of the Son of man. In solemn silence we all gazed on the cloud as it drew nearer, and became lighter, glorious, and still more glorious, till it was a great white cloud. The bottom appeared like fire; a rainbow was over the cloud, while around it were ten thousand angels, singing a most lovely song; and upon it sat the Son of man. His hair was white and curly and lay on His shoulders, and upon His head were many crowns. His feet had the appearance of fire; in His right hand was a sharp sickle, in His left a silver trumpet. His eyes were as a flame of fire, which searched His children through and through. {1T 60.1}
Then all faces gathered paleness, and those that God had rejected gathered blackness. Then we all cried out: "Who shall be able to stand? Is my robe spotless?" The angels ceased to sing, and there was a time of awful silence, when Jesus spoke: "Those who have clean hands and pure hearts shall be able to stand; My grace is sufficient for you." At this, our faces lighted up, and joy filled every heart. And the angels struck a note higher and sang again, while the cloud drew still nearer the earth. Then Jesus' silver trumpet sounded, as He descended on the cloud, wrapped in flames of fire. He gazed on the graves of the sleeping saints, then raised His eyes and hands to heaven, and cried: "Awake! Awake! Awake! ye that sleep in the dust, and arise." Then there was a mighty earthquake. The graves opened, and the dead came up clothed with immortality. The 144,000 shouted, "Alleluia!" as they recognized their friends who had been torn from them by death, and in the same moment we were changed, and caught up together with them to meet the Lord in the air. {1T 60.2}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: 5th Generation] #82576
12/15/06 02:20 PM
12/15/06 02:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The truth about God is that He is kind, and gracious, merciful, compassionate, patient, One who puts the interests of His children above His own, regardless of the cost to Himself. He is just like Jesus Christ.

The enemy has lied about God's character, portraying him to be altogether such a one as himself, who will resort to any means to get His own way. God is portrayed as being selfish, dictatorial, harsh, and arbitrary.

Page 20 of 51 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!