HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82660
12/17/06 03:52 PM
12/17/06 03:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I have a confession to make. Earlier I made the assumption that God will give evil angels permission to pour out the seven last plagues. My bad. I based my assumption on the following quote:

GC 614
The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

I assumed this inspired insight meant that God is going to give evil angels permission to pour out the seven last plagues. But the Bible makes it clear that it is holy angels who will pour them out. Here is how the Bible describes it:

Revelation
15:1 And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.
15:6 And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.
15:7 And one of the four beasts gave unto the seven angels seven golden vials full of the wrath of God, who liveth for ever and ever.

I think it is safe to say that we all agree that the Bible always represents God as being responsible for causing, commanding, or commissioning the destruction of full-cup sinners. And rightly so. God is in control of managing the outcome of the GC. It is His sole responsibility to ensure that the evil angels do not exceed the limits and boundaries established and maintained by God.

Tom and Thomas, however, insist that the Bible portrays God as doing the deeds of the devil simply as a gesture of generosity, that God is willing to take the blame because He is humble and unassuming. But in reality, God is not to blame. The devil is. Jesus did not cause, command, or commission destruction during His earthly sojourn. And, based on this insight, Tom and Thomas wrongly conclude that God never has, nor ever will, cause destruction or the death of full-cup sinners.

I totally disagree. I believe the Bible. I take it at face value. I do not read into it ideas that contradict the obvious. When the Bible says God caused, commanded, or commissioned something to happen, I believe it. God said it, I believe it, and that settles it for me. I have no reason to doubt or interpret the Bible to serve my preconceived opinions.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82661
12/17/06 03:59 PM
12/17/06 03:59 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

DF: Whether or not the end justifies the means depends on what both the end is and the means is.

MM: In this case, the means is holy angels destroying sinners, and the end is the destruction of sinners. So, do you believe the end justifies the means?

In that specific sense, yes, but in a general sense, no.

In other words, generally speaking, the end doesn't justify the means.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82669
12/17/06 07:34 PM
12/17/06 07:34 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom and Thomas, however, insist that the Bible portrays God as doing the deeds of the devil simply as a gesture of generosity, that God is willing to take the blame because He is humble and unassuming. But in reality, God is not to blame. The devil is. Jesus did not cause, command, or commission destruction during His earthly sojourn. And, based on this insight, Tom and Thomas wrongly conclude that God never has, nor ever will, cause destruction or the death of full-cup sinners.

I totally disagree. I believe the Bible. I take it at face value. I do not read into it ideas that contradict the obvious. When the Bible says God caused, commanded, or commissioned something to happen, I believe it. God said it, I believe it, and that settles it for me. I have no reason to doubt or interpret the Bible to serve my preconceived opinions.
Not quite. I have stated that God has in the past judged groups of people and will in the future judge people, and those people judged have meet death. Examples of this is the flood, the lower jordan valley, sertain things that happened during the exodus 40 years. What I am saying is that when Joey in a NY gang war gets shot and killed, that is not God, neither actively nor passively. When Pt. Smith shoots Iraqi warriors and is then himself killed in combat, that is not God. When janjaweed paramilitaries raid a southern Sudan village, killing all the men and raping all the women and children, that is not God. When Hitler ordered the gasing and shooting of 6 milion Jews and other groups he thought where lesser humans, that was not God.

All these later things are either planed and directed by satan or his minions, or simply the fruit of the free will of humans. God has at times judged people and will in the end judge everyone and Gods judgements are just. All this vanton violence that we can observe every day until suffering fatigue overtakes our capability of compassion, that is neither just nor caused or expressidly permitted by God. It all passes under the blanket permission that is known as human free will. And while God can interviene and protect those who call on Him, does not mean that the opposite is true that God gives individual permission to ever atrocity or sin commited on earth. This is what I believe about this subject.
On this ground I reject your statement about what you thought I believe Mike.

/Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: vastergotland] #82671
12/17/06 08:00 PM
12/17/06 08:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
DF: In that specific sense, yes, but in a general sense, no. In other words, generally speaking, the end doesn't justify the means.

MM: Let me see if I understand your position. Please correct me if I have misunderstood it. You believe the end justifies the means when it involves God commanding holy angels to destroy full-cup sinners. But generally speaking this principle does not apply.

What I'm not clear on is what you mean by "general" sense. I assume you mean when God gives evil angels permission to destroy full-cup sinners. In other words, you mean the "end justifies the means" principle does not apply when God gives evil angels permission to destroy full-cup sinners.

If this is what you mean, and I'm not saying it is, but if this is true, what is the "end" and what is the 'means", and how are they different in cases involving God commanding holy angels to destroy full-cup sinners?

Again, in such cases, we both agree that the "means" is holy angels destroying sinners, and the "end" is the destruction of full-cup sinners.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82672
12/17/06 08:36 PM
12/17/06 08:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: Not quite. I have stated that God has in the past judged groups of people and will in the future judge people, and those people judged have meet death. Examples of this is the flood, the lower jordan valley, sertain things that happened during the exodus 40 years. . . . God has at times judged people and will in the end judge everyone and Gods judgements are just.

MM: Thank you for clarifying how you and Tom differ on this topic. I had forgotten you posted these convictions in the past. I was operating under the assumptions that you and Tom were in perfect agreement. Sorry for the oversight.

……………………..

TV: What I am saying is that when Joey in a NY gang war gets shot and killed, that is not God, neither actively nor passively. When Pt. Smith shoots Iraqi warriors and is then himself killed in combat, that is not God. When janjaweed paramilitaries raid a southern Sudan village, killing all the men and raping all the women and children, that is not God. When Hitler ordered the gasing and shooting of 6 milion Jews and other groups he thought where lesser humans, that was not God.

MM: In this aspect I think you and Tom are also in disagreement. Again, my mistake. I thought you agreed with Tom that such things are God’s passive will in that He does not intervene to stop them. I think we all agree that God’s ultimate will is that no one is lost, that everyone is saved, but that He does not force us to choose one way or the other.

……………………….

TV: All these later things are either planed and directed by satan or his minions, or simply the fruit of the free will of humans. . . . All this vanton violence that we can observe every day until suffering fatigue overtakes our capability of compassion, that is neither just nor caused or expressidly permitted by God. It all passes under the blanket permission that is known as human free will.

MM: The idea that God has no say-so in the outcome of our choices is, to me, unsettling. True, He allows us to make our own choices, but I find it hard to believe that He has absolutely nothing to do with managing the consequences of our choices. For example, I cannot imagine God standing by and doing nothing the moment that rival gang member shot Joey.

I believe whether or not the bullet kills Joey is in the hands of God. How many times have we heard testimonies from people like Joey who gave their hearts to Jesus when they realized that God spared their lives, that He sent a holy angel to guide the bullet in a way that the results were “miraculously” nonfatal.

………………………..

TV: And while God can interviene and protect those who call on Him, does not mean that the opposite is true that God gives individual permission to ever atrocity or sin commited on earth. This is what I believe about this subject.

MM: As described above, I also believe God can and does intervene so that people like Joey will be motivated to call on Him. I suspect you also agree with this. But in order for this to be true, God cannot be as detached or uninvolved as you seem to believe.

If there are times, as you seem to believe, when things happen that God neither caused, commanded, nor commissioned, then I believe He runs the risk of being perceived as aloof, uncaring, and unmindful. It has to do with the "duty to act" principle.

TV: On this ground I reject your statement about what you thought I believe Mike.

MM: Hopefully I now better understand your position. Please correct me if anything I have posted here is off base. Thank you.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82677
12/17/06 11:08 PM
12/17/06 11:08 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
By general sense, I mean that the end doesn't justify the means in relation to, for example, what Jacob did to obtain the promised birthright.

Daryl smile

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Daryl] #82680
12/18/06 12:20 AM
12/18/06 12:20 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Oh, okay. Now I see what you mean. Thanx for clarifying. What about when God gives evil angels permission to destroy full-cup sinners? Does the end (i.e., the destruction of sinners) justify the means (i.e., giving evil angels permission to destroy sinners)?

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82681
12/18/06 12:48 AM
12/18/06 12:48 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Give me an instance in the Bible where this happened.

Daryl smile

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82684
12/18/06 01:40 AM
12/18/06 01:40 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: If good and evil look the same, what's the difference? Just who does the deed?

MM: Good and evil do not look the same. That’s the truth about good and evil....True, the results, from our perspective, look the same

This doesn't seem clear to me. When I asked "if good and evil look the same, what's the difference?" who did you think I was talking about? Us, of course, right? I'm concerned about our perspective. So if you say, "True, the results, from our perspective, look the same" that's saying they look the same, right? If not, what looks different?

You went on to say that good and evil will be contrasted in the end of time, during the time of the last plagues, which is fine and well to say, but that doesn't address my question, which is, if good and evil look the same, what's the difference?

You answered this by first saying that they don't look the same. Then you said they do. Then you said I chose to ignore your point. What point did I choose to ignore? (I'm certainly not voluntarily ignoring any point you're making).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Tom] #82685
12/18/06 01:45 AM
12/18/06 01:45 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I have a confession to make. Earlier I made the assumption that God will give evil angels permission to pour out the seven last plagues. My bad.

No, if this is what you were thinking, you were right.

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!