HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #83354
01/02/07 04:41 PM
01/02/07 04:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, are you willing to make the same argument against holy angels when God commands them to cause death and destruction? Sister White wrote that holy angels and evil angels exercise the “same” destructive power when God ordains it.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #83374
01/02/07 06:52 PM
01/02/07 06:52 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Your question doesn't make sense to me. That same argument as what?

The topic of this thread is whether the end justifies the means. I do not believe that it does. I do not believe holy angels ever do anything which is immoral (i.e. contrary to God's law), nor do I believe that God commands them to do anything which is either contrary to His law or to His own character as revealed in Jesus Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #83393
01/02/07 11:20 PM
01/02/07 11:20 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
JB: According to your view, this is all just a phase of God's game.

MM: John, please define what you think I meant in the context of what I wrote - "Again, I believe He leaves nothing to choice or chance." Thank you.

Well now, according to all that you have written on this thread and other lately; we are all waiting for you to define/explain yourself.

The points in question:

Is God running a "program" for sin and its progression; or is God aware of the nature of sin and its course and hence wanting to save us from it?

Is everybody doing what God wants accomplished; or is there a war and there are two sides; a conflict?

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: John Boskovic] #83394
01/03/07 12:13 AM
01/03/07 12:13 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Or it may be simpler to think on a personal basis.

Simply put:

Is your salvation affected by your choice, or God leaves nothing to your choice.

The issue of the great Controversy is after all a personal matter. You are one part of it, and God deals with each one of us individually.

What happens to one; happens to all.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: John Boskovic] #83396
01/03/07 12:38 AM
01/03/07 12:38 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
The point in regards to this topic of "Does the end justify the means?" is simply, that if it is all a "program", then there is no issue of either the end or the means.

But if there is a genuine controversy, as I know there is; then the answer to the controversy demands its own validity.

• I do not believe that the answer stands in who has the biggest muscles.

I do not believe that the answer stands in who knows the most or all.

I do not believe that the answer stands in who knows the future best.

I do not believe the answer stands in whose program will succeed.

If it these were the issues then the end would justify the means.

The controversy is not over any of these issues. It is a of a different nature. The controversy is of the same nature as that of salvation. The answer is of the same nature as that of salvation.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: John Boskovic] #83407
01/03/07 04:12 AM
01/03/07 04:12 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I sort of believe in the last one. It depends upon how you think of it. The program doesn't succeed because arbitrary means are used to make it so, but the program is one of love, mercy, and truth. It succeeds because these principles, by which God governs, really are the principles of life, happiness and peace.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Tom] #83409
01/03/07 04:51 AM
01/03/07 04:51 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I sort of believe in the last one. It depends upon how you think of it. The program doesn't succeed because arbitrary means are used to make it so, but the program is one of love, mercy, and truth. It succeeds because these principles, by which God governs, really are the principles of life, happiness and peace.

I don't know what you understand a program to mean. The following is from a dictionary.

1. a plan of action to accomplish a specified end:
2. a plan or schedule of activities, procedures, etc., to be followed.

The point of a program is in its programmed activity. Programs, by their very nature have a lack of genuineness; an element of performance.

Love, mercy, and truth cannot be classed into a program, as neither can spirit. (as I uderstand program, and as I understand people to commonly use it)

Love, mercy and truth do not answer the controversy, because of a program set forth, but because the nature of Love, mercy and truth, is life and peace; while hate, wrath and lies work destruction and death.

The answer of the controversy is thus in the very nature of that which is at odds, rather than in any presentation of the same.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: John Boskovic] #83416
01/03/07 02:38 PM
01/03/07 02:38 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I was thinking of the "program" as "the plan of salvation."

I was pretty sure you had something else in mind, which is why I wrote, "It depends on how you think of it."

I agree completely with the idea that God did not do anything special, in terms of organizing an activity, or doing anything arbitrary; rather, He simply put forth a plan to make evident the true principles involved on both sides of the controversy.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Tom] #83428
01/03/07 05:48 PM
01/03/07 05:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
I find proof in the Bible and the SOP that God is in control of the outcome of our choices. I have not found anything to suggest that God usually remains uninvolved and let's things unfold naturally. Again, I believe He leaves nothing to choice or chance.

I believe God works actively and intimately to orchestrate the cause and effect outcome of our choices. He makes sure that nothing we think, say, or do derails or undermines His plans and strategy to win the GC. God knows the end from the beginning, and things will end favorably because He will not sit back and let the scroll unfold helter-skelter.

JB: According to your view, this is all just a phase of God's game.

MM: Sister White refers to it as the “game of life”. She says, “All are engaged in playing the game of life.” (2T 36)

Quote:
Every one, I saw, must obtain an experience for themselves, act well and faithfully their part in the game of life. {4bSG 149.1}

My dear brethren, will you allow Satan to accomplish his purpose? Will you submit to lose the game in which you desire to win everlasting life? {2T 37.1}

Multitudes in the world are witnessing this game of life, the Christian warfare. And this is not all. The Monarch of the universe and the myriads of heavenly angels are spectators of this race; they are anxiously watching to see who will be successful overcomers, and win the crown of glory that fadeth not away. {Te 144.4}

Satan is determined to enslave every soul if he can; for he is playing a desperate game to win the souls of men from Christ and eternal life. {TDG 175.2}

Satan can skilfully play the game of life with many souls, and he acts in a most underhanded, deceptive manner to spoil the faith of the people of God and to discourage them.{Ev 359.4}

The great controversy, the plan of salvation, the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus, the investigative judgment, the MOB crisis, the seven last plagues, the first and second resurrections, the lake of fire, the new earth – these are all “phases” of the “game of life”.

And God is leaving none of it to choice or chance. By “choice” I mean He will not allow our choices to derail His strategy to ensure each phase of the “game” plays out according to His master plan. And by “chance” I mean God will not sit back and let nature take its course. He is micro-managing every detail.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #83445
01/03/07 08:12 PM
01/03/07 08:12 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
God allowed choice to derail His original plan, which was that sin would never occur.

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!