HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 51 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83885
01/11/07 11:02 PM
01/11/07 11:02 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
TV: Mike, would you happen to have the proper skills to figgure out what the greek text says in this passage?

MM: Yes. I have the same sources available to me that are available to you.
Both you and I can find the greek text online and both you and I have access to Strongs concordance. I however cannot read the greek. That was what I was asking, in case my inquiry wasnt clear enough. So I ask again, do you know how to read biblical greek well enough to tell us which group of translators did the best work or if both did acceptable jobs on this text that is being discussed in this thread.
Quote:

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin." He feels that he is the purchase of the blood of Christ and bound by the most solemn vows to glorify God in his body and in his spirit, which are God's. The love of sin and the love of self are subdued in him. He daily asks: "What shall I render unto the Lord for all His benefits toward me?" "Lord, what wilt Thou have me to do?"

The true Christian will never complain that the yoke of Christ is galling to the neck. He accounts the service of Jesus as the truest freedom. The law of God is his delight. Instead of seeking to bring down the divine commands, to accord with his deficiencies, he is constantly striving to rise to the level of their perfection.

It is through faith in Jesus Christ that the truth is accepted in the heart and the human agent is purified and cleansed. Jesus was "wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Is it possible to be healed, while knowingly committing sin?

No; it is genuine faith that says, I know that I have committed sin, but that Jesus has pardoned my sin; and hereafter I will resist temptation in and through His might. "Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." He has an abiding principle in the soul, that enables him to overcome temptation.

"Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." God has power to keep the soul who is in Christ, when that soul is under temptation. "Whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him." That is, every one who is a true believer is sanctified through the truth, in life and character. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth {not professeth to do} righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; . . . because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil." Now mark where the distinction is made: "Whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither is he that loveth not his brother." "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth."
It is not clear to me what these paragraphs have to do in a post supposedly concerned with the ability to read and comprehend greek.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: vastergotland] #83886
01/11/07 11:06 PM
01/11/07 11:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This made me think of an old joke.

"I know every language in the world but Greek," I said. "What about Chinese?" was the reply.

"It's Greek to me."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83888
01/12/07 12:33 AM
01/12/07 12:33 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:
John, our views on law and obedience and righteousness are vastly different. I see the law as a transcript of God's character. It defines and describes righteousness perfectly. It lacks nothing. To obey the law is to reproduce the character of God.
The law reveals to man his sins, but it provides no remedy. The gospel of Christ alone can free him from the condemnation or the defilement of sin.

Well MM, this is a typical problem we have in communication with you. Try and think this through before you answer.

You state:
The Law is a transcript of God’s character.
The law reveals to man his sins, but it provides no remedy.
It defines and describes righteousness perfectly.
The gospel of Christ alone can free him from the condemnation or the defilement of sin.

Therefore the sum of what you stated is:
God’s character reveals to man his sins, but it provides no remedy.
God’s righteousness provides no remedy for sin.
The gospel of Christ must therefore be outside of God’s character.
Christ must be unlike God’s character.

Quote:
"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7.

Obviously the law this is speaking of is not the same as the one of which you spoke above, which provides no remedy for sin.

What you have forgotten or omitted in your first concept of the law is the same thing which the Jews omitted in Christ’s day.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Quote:
And since the law of God is "holy, and just, and good," a transcript of the divine perfection, it follows that a character formed by obedience to that law will be holy.

Christ is a perfect example of such a character. He says: "I have kept My Father's commandments." "I do always those things that please Him." John 15:10; 8:29. The followers of Christ are to become like Him - by the grace of God to form characters in harmony with the principles of His holy law. This is Bible sanctification.

Therefore what follows is:
  • Christ is the express image of God’s character.
    Christ’s character is perfect exposition of righteousness.
    Christ’s character includes the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, faith.
    The gospel is the full exposition of God’s character with the weightier matters in place.

What you have done MM is exactly what the Jews did, and why they crucified the Lord. By separating from the law and God’s character the weightier matters, you have established the character of Satan in the place of God.
  • They took the law of God and separated from it the weightier matters of the law.
    You took the law of God and separated from it the weightier matters of the law.

They formed a righteousness according to the law devoid of judgment, mercy and faith; and said this is God.
    You formed a righteousness according to the law devoid of judgment, mercy and faith; and said this is God.

They according to their righteousness, and their interpretation of law crucified the Lord of glory.
    You according to your righteousness, and your interpretation of law require the Lord of glory to be crucified.

Christ came to reveal the truth of the law and God’s character; the remedy for sin; so that we may be saved.
Christ came to save just from such a concept of the law which is devoid of judgment, mercy and faith.

I just like you to note that the word “judgment” here means something different than what you think judgment to be. For in this judgment, mercy and faith are the weightier matters.

Thus in Christ who is the express image of the invisible God it is fully fulfilled:
Psa 85:10 Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.

Now which law shall you fulfill?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: John Boskovic] #83897
01/12/07 04:17 AM
01/12/07 04:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Excellent, John.

Quote:
Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Great point. Also the explanation of Christ as the embodiment of God's character, as well as the law (including its weightier matters).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: vastergotland] #83909
01/12/07 04:17 PM
01/12/07 04:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: People, before they are born again, can make right decisions, in accordance with God's will. God alone is good. He is the source for all good, whether for unbelivers or not.

MM: Tom, please help me out, again. Which ones of the following statements best describes what you’re trying to tell me. Thank you.

Quote:
1. They may produce an outward correctness of behavior, but they cannot change the heart; they cannot purify the springs of life. {SC 18.1}

2. The idea that it is necessary only to develop the good that exists in man by nature, is a fatal deception. {SC 18.2}

3. Multitudes sorrow that they have sinned and even make an outward reformation because they fear that their wrongdoing will bring suffering upon themselves. {SC 23.3}

4. It is true that men sometimes become ashamed of their sinful ways, and give up some of their evil habits, before they are conscious that they are being drawn to Christ. {SC 27.1}

5. We may have flattered ourselves, as did Nicodemus, that our life has been upright, that our moral character is correct, and think that we need not humble the heart before God, like the common sinner: but when the light from Christ shines into our souls, we shall see how impure we are; we shall discern the selfishness of motive, the enmity against God, that has defiled every act of life. Then we shall know that our own righteousness is indeed as filthy rags, and that the blood of Christ alone can cleanse us from the defilement of sin, and renew our hearts in His own likeness. {SC 28.3}

6. Paul says that as "touching the righteousness which is in the law"--as far as outward acts were concerned --he was "blameless" (Philippians 3:6); but when the spiritual character of the law was discerned, he saw himself a sinner. Judged by the letter of the law as men apply it to the outward life, he had abstained from sin; but when he looked into the depths of its holy precepts, and saw himself as God saw him, he bowed in humiliation and confessed his guilt. He says, "I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." Romans 7:9. When he saw the spiritual nature of the law, sin appeared in its true hideousness, and his self-esteem was gone. {SC 29.3}

7. It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. By what means, then, shall we determine whose side we are on? {SC 58.1}

TE: The difference is in you, in how you are interpreting the versions. You, for some odd reason, are interpreting the NIV, which says, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin" to mean "One who is born of God will continue to sin."

MM: I’m sorry, Tom, but can you please help me understand the differences between the following contrasts? Thank you.

1. What is the difference between “continue to sin” and “doth not commit sin”?

2. What is the difference between “he cannot go on sinning” and “he cannot sin”?

………………………

TE: There's a verse which reads, "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit." (Matt. 7:18). This doesn't mean that no good tree ever in the history of man has produced a bad fruit, but rather that, as a general practice, good trees to not produce bad fruit. Indeed, it is the fact that they, as a general practice, produce good fruit that makes them good trees. Similarly one who is born of God cannot sin. In the same way that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit. The born again person is not characterized by a life of sin. It's not saying that a born again is not able to commit a sin.

MM: It never occurred to me to read what Jesus taught in the way you just suggested. So, the good tree - bad tree metaphor doesn’t mean what it says, that it actually means “every” good tree can produce bad fruit and “every” bad tree can produce good fruit.

And, this interpretation helps explain why 1 John 3:1-10 cannot possibly mean born again believers do not and cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus, that it means they can commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus.

Matthew
7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Does this next quote, and the ones following it, also support your interpretation of the good tree - bad tree metaphor?

UL 154
The fruit of the tree testifies if it is a good or corrupt tree. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit; neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. By their fruits ye shall know them. Let us so speak and so labor that our fruit may be unto righteousness and we letting our light shine forth in good works. Profession is nothing. A godly life alone will God approve. {UL 154.3}

Quote:
The practicing of the truth is essential. The bearing of fruit testifies to the character of the tree. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit. The line of demarcation will be plain and distinct between those who love God and keep His commandments and those who love Him not and disregard His precepts. There is need of a thorough conversion to the truth.--Manuscript 56, 1900. {Ev 308.2}

The character of the Christian is shown by his daily life. Said Christ, "Every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit" (Matt. 7:17). Our Saviour compares Himself to a vine, of which His followers are the branches. He plainly declares that all who would be His disciples must bring forth fruit; and then He shows how they may become fruitful branches. "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me" (John 15:4). {RC 96.2}

The apostle Paul describes the fruit which the Christian is to bear. He says that it "is in all goodness and righteousness and truth" (Eph. 5:9). And again, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance" (Gal. 5:22, 23). These precious graces are but the principles of God's law carried out in the life. {RC 96.3}

In these days of peril we are not to accept everything that men bring to us as truth. As professed teachers from God come to us declaring that they have a message from God, it is proper to inquire carefully, How do we know that this is truth? Jesus has told us that "false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many" (Matt. 24:11). But we need not be deceived; for the Word of God gives us a test whereby we may know what is truth. The prophet says, "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" (Isa. 8:20). {2SM 99.1}

From this statement it is evident that it becomes us to be diligent Bible students, that we may know what is according to the law and the testimony. We are safe in no other course of action. Jesus says, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire" (Matt. 7:15-19).--The Review and Herald, Feb. 23, 1892. {2SM 99.2}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: vastergotland] #83910
01/12/07 04:25 PM
01/12/07 04:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
TV: 1Jo 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

MM: Thomas, do you see a discrepancy between what I posted and the verse you quoted?
It seems to me that this verse tells us what John means by "His commandments". I thought that was worth pointing out.

Do you mean instead of the ten commandments?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83911
01/12/07 04:29 PM
01/12/07 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: It is not clear to me what these paragraphs have to do in a post supposedly concerned with the ability to read and comprehend greek.

MM: I figure Sister White's comments are more inspired than mere men attempting to interpret and translate the Greek.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83912
01/12/07 04:39 PM
01/12/07 04:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
JB: Well MM, this is a typical problem we have in communication with you. Try and think this through before you answer.

MM: John, I posted Sister White's comments, not mine. You are critiquing her, not me.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83913
01/12/07 04:57 PM
01/12/07 04:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.Asking me to pick what best describes my thought from a list you have composed is pointless.
2.My point regarding the NIV and 1 John 3:9 was that is says "No one who is born of God will continue to sin" (this is from memory; that's close if not perfect) which you, for some reason, interpret to mean "No one who is born of God will not continue to sin." That's what I said was weird. You also had a list of three things which you inferred from this statement, which I saw no basis for inferring.

I pointed out that where I see the difference is not so much in the texts themselves (that is, how the NIV and KJV put it) but in how you interpret them, where you interpret the NIV to mean exactly the opposite of what it says.

3.I'm not following the end of what you were saying, but, in brief, what my point was is that the character is not comprised of the occasional misdeed or occasional good deed. A person can be a born again Christ and occasionally commit an occasional misdeed, a sin. It seems to me that you are taking a principle, and wanting to make an iron clad rule out of it. Actually, all of your views seem to be like this. They are stated in absolutes. You seem to think this way.

For example, you wrote that in order for a person to be born again, the Holy Spirit must reveal every cultivated sinful habit from birth and must confess them all. This is an absolute statement, which is obviously false. I was able to convince you of the falsity of the statement, because you changed it to be that all sinful habits must be revealed and confessed, except for exceptions to the rule. But, even though you recognize the falsity of the absolute statement, which is seen by your correction of it, you still to not admit the error, which is also an interesting characteristic of your style of thinking.

Part of the reason I've continued to dialog with you is to try to understand how you think. It's very challenging. I've figured out a few things, but there are other things I don't understand (such as your reticence to admit error).

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #83915
01/12/07 05:14 PM
01/12/07 05:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, it looks to me like JB was responding to your post #83857, which doesn't even have one EGW comment. It has a lot of your comments though, and JB's post addressed the comments you made, in detail. I think his suggestion to you is well taken. You responded to what he wrote without addressing any of the points he made, and apparently without even being aware of which post of yours he was addressing.

JB expressed thoughts I've been trying to share very well. Thomas is also getting at similar ideas. What Thomas is pointing out is not what John (who wrote the epistle, not JB) was concerned about when he wrote the letter. He conception of keeping the commandments is not at all similar to yours. It is not concerned with sinless behavior, but with loving one's neighbor. This is clear from the examples that John gives, which involve caring for your neighbor. John is pointing out that anyone who knows Christ will love his neighbor and take care of him.

It's not so much that John is saying the opposite of what you are saying, as that John's whole way of thinking, his whole concern, his whole purpose, was different than your way of thinking, your concern, and your purpose.

Page 31 of 51 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!