HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 32 of 51 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83921
01/12/07 09:31 PM
01/12/07 09:31 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
JB: Well MM, this is a typical problem we have in communication with you. Try and think this through before you answer.

MM: John, I posted Sister White's comments, not mine. You are critiquing her, not me.

And they said, Moses said...

Even if you are quoting, you are doing so to communicate something, and I am communicating to you on what you are communicating.

These are important thoughts, and I trust you are considering them, though they might be quite new to you.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83927
01/12/07 11:50 PM
01/12/07 11:50 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: västergötland
TV: 1Jo 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

MM: Thomas, do you see a discrepancy between what I posted and the verse you quoted?
It seems to me that this verse tells us what John means by "His commandments". I thought that was worth pointing out.

Do you mean instead of the ten commandments?

I mean that the letter of John interprets itself. John defines what he means when he writes "His commandments" for us so that we wont have to be in doubt about it. For a more thorrough reply, I saw Tom provided one a few posts back.
TV: It is not clear to me what these paragraphs have to do in a post supposedly concerned with the ability to read and comprehend greek.

MM: I figure Sister White's comments are more inspired than mere men attempting to interpret and translate the Greek.
If the mere men who attempted interpretation and translation made a scornworthy result, we might aswell throw it away. If you cannot rely on your bible to tell you what the original author did try to communicate, it is of no more weight than any other book in your library.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: vastergotland] #83930
01/13/07 12:25 AM
01/13/07 12:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Kevin had a nice post on this subject on the thread regarding if all the writings of the SOP are inspired.

When I read the SOP I see an emphasis upon reason and thought. I see her present the idea over and over again that God provides us with evidence for what is right and true; evidence regarding His character. He wants us to make decisions on the basis of evidence, not authority. He wants a religion based on conviction, because we are convinced of who God is (i.e. His character) and believe that His ways are right and true. He doesn't want us to follow Him because "He said so."

How we interpret Scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy is dependent upon our conception of God's character. If we view God in a primarily authoritarian way, our view of inspiration will reflect that. By authoritarian, I mean that we do what He says not based on the fact that we believe what He says because we believe it to be right, true, and honorable, but because He is God, and whatever He says goes, because He is all-powerful and can squash us like grapes if we don't follow Him.

The problem (a problem among many) with viewing God in an authoritarian manner is that it leads to a religion based on magic or mystery or superstition. We see this in many of the religions of the world. They have "faith" in their mysteries, but it's a faith based on tradition, and the authority of those who pass on the commands. Is our religion any different than those of the others, of the Catholics, or the Moslems, or the Jehovah's Witnesses, or the Mormans? If it is, it is because it is based on truth, not on authority.

I don't know how well I'm presented the idea I'm trying to share, but here are some quotes which should express it well:

Quote:
God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. His existence, His character, the truthfulness of His Word, are all established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant. Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt. Our faith must rest upon evidence, not demonstration. Those who wish to doubt will have opportunity; while those who really desire to know the truth, will find plenty of evidence on which to rest their faith." Steps to Christ 105

Quote:
Experience is said to be the best teacher. Genuine experience is indeed superior to mere theoretical knowledge, but many have an erroneous idea as to what constitutes experience. Real experience is gained by a variety of careful experiments, made with the mind free from prejudice, uncontrolled by previously established opinions and habits. The results are marked with careful solicitude. . .

That which many term experience is not experience at all. . . . There has not been a fair trial by actual experiment and thorough investigation, with a knowledge of the principles involved in the action. (3T 71)

Quote:
13. "Faith in a lie will not have a sanctifying influence upon the life or character. No error is truth, or can be made truth by repetition, or by faith in it. Sincerity will never save a soul from the consequences of believing an error. Without sincerity there is no true religion, but sincerity in a false religion will never save a man. I may be perfectly sincere in following a wrong road, but that will not make it the right road, or bring me to the place I wished to reach. The Lord does not want us to have a blind credulity, and call that the faith that sanctifies. The truth is the principle that sanctifies, and therefore it becomes us to know what is truth. We must compare spiritual things with spiritual. We must prove all things, but hold fast only that which is good, that which bears the divine credentials, which lays before us the true motives and principles which should prompt us to action." Letter 12, 1890; Selected Messages, vol. 2, p. 56

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83963
01/13/07 04:21 PM
01/13/07 04:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I am reposting the following post. Please take the time to address my concerns and questions. Thank you.

TE: People, before they are born again, can make right decisions, in accordance with God's will. God alone is good. He is the source for all good, whether for unbelivers or not.

MM: Tom, please help me out, again. Which ones of the following statements best describes what you’re trying to tell me. Thank you.

Quote:
1. They may produce an outward correctness of behavior, but they cannot change the heart; they cannot purify the springs of life. {SC 18.1}

2. The idea that it is necessary only to develop the good that exists in man by nature, is a fatal deception. {SC 18.2}

3. Multitudes sorrow that they have sinned and even make an outward reformation because they fear that their wrongdoing will bring suffering upon themselves. {SC 23.3}

4. It is true that men sometimes become ashamed of their sinful ways, and give up some of their evil habits, before they are conscious that they are being drawn to Christ. {SC 27.1}

5. We may have flattered ourselves, as did Nicodemus, that our life has been upright, that our moral character is correct, and think that we need not humble the heart before God, like the common sinner: but when the light from Christ shines into our souls, we shall see how impure we are; we shall discern the selfishness of motive, the enmity against God, that has defiled every act of life. Then we shall know that our own righteousness is indeed as filthy rags, and that the blood of Christ alone can cleanse us from the defilement of sin, and renew our hearts in His own likeness. {SC 28.3}

6. Paul says that as "touching the righteousness which is in the law"--as far as outward acts were concerned --he was "blameless" (Philippians 3:6); but when the spiritual character of the law was discerned, he saw himself a sinner. Judged by the letter of the law as men apply it to the outward life, he had abstained from sin; but when he looked into the depths of its holy precepts, and saw himself as God saw him, he bowed in humiliation and confessed his guilt. He says, "I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." Romans 7:9. When he saw the spiritual nature of the law, sin appeared in its true hideousness, and his self-esteem was gone. {SC 29.3}

7. It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. By what means, then, shall we determine whose side we are on? {SC 58.1}

TE: The difference is in you, in how you are interpreting the versions. You, for some odd reason, are interpreting the NIV, which says, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin" to mean "One who is born of God will continue to sin."

MM: I’m sorry, Tom, but can you please help me understand the differences between the following contrasts? Thank you.

1. What is the difference between “continue to sin” and “doth not commit sin”?

2. What is the difference between “he cannot go on sinning” and “he cannot sin”?

………………………

TE: There's a verse which reads, "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit." (Matt. 7:18). This doesn't mean that no good tree ever in the history of man has produced a bad fruit, but rather that, as a general practice, good trees to not produce bad fruit. Indeed, it is the fact that they, as a general practice, produce good fruit that makes them good trees. Similarly one who is born of God cannot sin. In the same way that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit. The born again person is not characterized by a life of sin. It's not saying that a born again is not able to commit a sin.

MM: It never occurred to me to read what Jesus taught in the way you just suggested. So, the good tree - bad tree metaphor doesn’t mean what it says, that it actually means “every” good tree can produce bad fruit and “every” bad tree can produce good fruit.

And, this interpretation helps explain why 1 John 3:1-10 cannot possibly mean born again believers do not and cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus, that it means they can commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus.

Matthew
7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Does this next quote, and the ones following it, also support your interpretation of the good tree - bad tree metaphor?

UL 154
The fruit of the tree testifies if it is a good or corrupt tree. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit; neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. By their fruits ye shall know them. Let us so speak and so labor that our fruit may be unto righteousness and we letting our light shine forth in good works. Profession is nothing. A godly life alone will God approve. {UL 154.3}

Quote:
The practicing of the truth is essential. The bearing of fruit testifies to the character of the tree. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit. The line of demarcation will be plain and distinct between those who love God and keep His commandments and those who love Him not and disregard His precepts. There is need of a thorough conversion to the truth.--Manuscript 56, 1900. {Ev 308.2}

The character of the Christian is shown by his daily life. Said Christ, "Every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit" (Matt. 7:17). Our Saviour compares Himself to a vine, of which His followers are the branches. He plainly declares that all who would be His disciples must bring forth fruit; and then He shows how they may become fruitful branches. "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me" (John 15:4). {RC 96.2}

The apostle Paul describes the fruit which the Christian is to bear. He says that it "is in all goodness and righteousness and truth" (Eph. 5:9). And again, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance" (Gal. 5:22, 23). These precious graces are but the principles of God's law carried out in the life. {RC 96.3}

In these days of peril we are not to accept everything that men bring to us as truth. As professed teachers from God come to us declaring that they have a message from God, it is proper to inquire carefully, How do we know that this is truth? Jesus has told us that "false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many" (Matt. 24:11). But we need not be deceived; for the Word of God gives us a test whereby we may know what is truth. The prophet says, "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" (Isa. 8:20). {2SM 99.1}

From this statement it is evident that it becomes us to be diligent Bible students, that we may know what is according to the law and the testimony. We are safe in no other course of action. Jesus says, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire" (Matt. 7:15-19).--The Review and Herald, Feb. 23, 1892. {2SM 99.2}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83975
01/13/07 09:28 PM
01/13/07 09:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
JB: These are important thoughts, and I trust you are considering them, though they might be quite new to you.

MM: John, it is hard for me to appreciate it when you even find fault with what Sister White wrote about it.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83976
01/13/07 09:40 PM
01/13/07 09:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: If the mere men who attempted interpretation and translation made a scornworthy result, we might aswell throw it away. If you cannot rely on your bible to tell you what the original author did try to communicate, it is of no more weight than any other book in your library.

MM: Actually, the KJV of the Bible is very reliable, not perfect, but very trustworthy. And, praise the Lord, we have the SOP to steer us right in those few places where the translators got it wrong. I trust how the SOP applied John's first epistle in regards to the "commandment" he wrote about.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83985
01/14/07 12:13 AM
01/14/07 12:13 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
In BSDA, there was a discussion conserning eagles in the bible. The hebrew word means either eagle or vulture, and as my hebrew dictionary points out, the descriptions given in the bible at times confirms that it is indeed speaking about vultures. Despite of this, the KJV consistently translates it eagles. Why? One likely hypothesis is that the 50 translators having lived their entire life in northern europe had no concept of there being such a bird as a vulture so they took the only alternative left to them. Today we are familiar with the existence of vultures. Should we then stick with the KJV translation of eagles at all times or should we in context examine wether it may be talking about vultures?

This is a reason why checking again may be profitable. Language schoolars today know more about the translation of the hebrew language than they did then for the simple reason that they have had more opportunity to read different documents in the language and thereby gaining an increased understanding of the nuances of the languages. And we should remember that it isnt alltogether unlikely that the KJV will be confirmed at many places by doing this.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #83990
01/14/07 03:23 AM
01/14/07 03:23 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, please see post #83913. I addressed your concerns there. If you didn't understand something I wrote there, you can ask me something specific.

Tom

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #83991
01/14/07 03:25 AM
01/14/07 03:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
JB: These are important thoughts, and I trust you are considering them, though they might be quite new to you.

MM: John, it is hard for me to appreciate it when you even find fault with what Sister White wrote about it.

He didn't. As I pointed out, the post he responded to didn't have any EGW quotes in it. I gave you the number of the post. You haven't addressed any of the points JB made, in two responses now.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #83992
01/14/07 03:42 AM
01/14/07 03:42 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Actually, the KJV of the Bible is very reliable, not perfect, but very trustworthy. And, praise the Lord, we have the SOP to steer us right in those few places where the translators got it wrong. I trust how the SOP applied John's first epistle in regards to the "commandment" he wrote about.

What leads you to write something like this? First of all, I agree with you that KJV is an excellent translation. However, we are not fundamentalists. We do not believe in verbal inspiration. The Bible is not a rule book, where God gives us rules, and then sends a prophet to make sure we get the rules right when the translators goof.

Consider the example TV gave. Did Ellen White write somewhere that these were really vultures and not eagles? Even though the KJV is very good, there are still many errors in it. The Bible has thousands of verses. Even only one error in a hundred verses would still be a lot. As Thomas points out, there are things we know now that translators didn't know then. We know more about the culture and the language. From Ellen White's time, there are things we know about that she didn't know.

What evidence can you adduce that part of Ellen White's ministry was to correct the KJV?

Page 32 of 51 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!