HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 51 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: John Boskovic] #84057
01/15/07 03:50 PM
01/15/07 03:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: John Boskovic
Quote:
John, our views on law and obedience and righteousness are vastly different. I see the law as a transcript of God's character. It defines and describes righteousness perfectly. It lacks nothing. To obey the law is to reproduce the character of God.
The law reveals to man his sins, but it provides no remedy. The gospel of Christ alone can free him from the condemnation or the defilement of sin.

Well MM, this is a typical problem we have in communication with you. Try and think this through before you answer.

You state:
The Law is a transcript of God’s character.
The law reveals to man his sins, but it provides no remedy.
It defines and describes righteousness perfectly.
The gospel of Christ alone can free him from the condemnation or the defilement of sin.

Therefore the sum of what you stated is:
God’s character reveals to man his sins, but it provides no remedy.
God’s righteousness provides no remedy for sin.
The gospel of Christ must therefore be outside of God’s character.
Christ must be unlike God’s character.

Quote:
"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7.

Obviously the law this is speaking of is not the same as the one of which you spoke above, which provides no remedy for sin.

What you have forgotten or omitted in your first concept of the law is the same thing which the Jews omitted in Christ’s day.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Quote:
And since the law of God is "holy, and just, and good," a transcript of the divine perfection, it follows that a character formed by obedience to that law will be holy.

Christ is a perfect example of such a character. He says: "I have kept My Father's commandments." "I do always those things that please Him." John 15:10; 8:29. The followers of Christ are to become like Him - by the grace of God to form characters in harmony with the principles of His holy law. This is Bible sanctification.

Therefore what follows is:
  • Christ is the express image of God’s character.
    Christ’s character is perfect exposition of righteousness.
    Christ’s character includes the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, faith.
    The gospel is the full exposition of God’s character with the weightier matters in place.

What you have done MM is exactly what the Jews did, and why they crucified the Lord. By separating from the law and God’s character the weightier matters, you have established the character of Satan in the place of God.
  • They took the law of God and separated from it the weightier matters of the law.
    You took the law of God and separated from it the weightier matters of the law.

They formed a righteousness according to the law devoid of judgment, mercy and faith; and said this is God.
    You formed a righteousness according to the law devoid of judgment, mercy and faith; and said this is God.

They according to their righteousness, and their interpretation of law crucified the Lord of glory.
    You according to your righteousness, and your interpretation of law require the Lord of glory to be crucified.

Christ came to reveal the truth of the law and God’s character; the remedy for sin; so that we may be saved.
Christ came to save just from such a concept of the law which is devoid of judgment, mercy and faith.

I just like you to note that the word “judgment” here means something different than what you think judgment to be. For in this judgment, mercy and faith are the weightier matters.

Thus in Christ who is the express image of the invisible God it is fully fulfilled:
Psa 85:10 Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.

Now which law shall you fulfill?

JB wrote:

MM: I disagree with this characterization of Sister White’s comments.

………………………….

JB wrote:

"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7. Obviously the law this is speaking of is not the same as the one of which you spoke above, which provides no remedy for sin. What you have forgotten or omitted in your first concept of the law is the same thing which the Jews omitted in Christ’s day.

………………………….

JB wrote:

What you have done MM is exactly what the Jews did, and why they crucified the Lord. By separating from the law and God’s character the weightier matters, you have established the character of Satan in the place of God.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84058
01/15/07 03:59 PM
01/15/07 03:59 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

JB wrote:

………………………….

JB wrote:

"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7. Obviously the law this is speaking of is not the same as the one of which you spoke above, which provides no remedy for sin. What you have forgotten or omitted in your first concept of the law is the same thing which the Jews omitted in Christ’s day.

………………………….

JB wrote:

And here I thought JB had responded on your comments Mike, rather than Ellens.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84059
01/15/07 04:06 PM
01/15/07 04:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
a) The Holy Spirit works with the unbeliever to give up sinful habits.

MM: Not “give up”, but rather the Holy Spirit influences them to “confess”, in light of the cross, their sinful habits and practices. They admit that their cultivated habits are sinful and need to be crucified.

They confess them, but don't give them up? Is that what you're saying?

b) The unbeliever learns about sinful habits, and gives them up little by little (this is the lengthy, protracted process) until he's finally ready to have every cultivated habit since birth revealed to him, and confess them all (not including exceptions to the rule).

MM: In normal cases, ones not involving exceptions to the rule, the Holy Spirit carefully reveals to them, in light of the cross, their cultivated sinful habits. He does not reveal to them the sinful traits and tendencies that they inherited at birth but have not yet cultivated.

c) At this point the person becomes born again, and ceases doing any sinful behavior, as long as he abides in Jesus.

MM: The Holy Spirit empowers them to crucify their old man sinful habits when the last sinful habit is revealed to them and confessed. At this point they are born again.

Ok, so you're definition of being born again is having the last sinful habit revealed and confessed. (excluding exceptions). Being born again has nothing to do with the heart being transformed? Or God waits until the last sin is confessed, and at that moment transforms the heart? I'm not getting where the transformation of the heart fits in.

They will not commit a known sin, repeat a former sinful habit, nor will they cultivate new sinful habits, while abiding in Jesus.

Which means what? That is, what does "abiding in Jesus" mean?

They are not incapable of committing a known sin, but to do so they must first stop abiding in Jesus, stop walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, revert back to the mind of the old man, all of which happens the instant they take their eyes off Jesus – and then all they can do is sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84060
01/15/07 04:09 PM
01/15/07 04:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Tom, please help me understand the differences between the NIV and the KJV in the following questions. Thank you.

1. What is the difference between “continue to sin” and “doth not commit sin”?

2. What is the difference between “he cannot go on sinning” and “he cannot sin”?

I've answered this three times, or something like that.

………………………………

MM: Here's what I hear you saying (please correct me if I've misunderstood you):

1) the good tree - bad tree metaphor means “every” good tree can produce bad fruit and “every” bad tree can produce good fruit,

No.

2) this insight explains why 1 John 3:1-10 cannot possibly mean born again believers do not and cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus,

No.

3) instead, 1 John 3:1-10 means born again believers can commit a known sin while they are actively abiding in Jesus.

No. I suggest you re-read what I wrote. This is so far off from what I said, I don't know how to respond. If it were closer, I could try to clarify some points. But this is so different than what I was saying, I don't know where to begin, which is why I suggested dropping it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84062
01/15/07 04:16 PM
01/15/07 04:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, JB wasn't responding to what Sister White wrote, but what you wrote. He quoted what you said, which was this:

Quote:
John, our views on law and obedience and righteousness are vastly different. I see the law as a transcript of God's character. It defines and describes righteousness perfectly. It lacks nothing. To obey the law is to reproduce the character of God. The law reveals to man his sins, but it provides no remedy. The gospel of Christ alone can free him from the condemnation or the defilement of sin.

Then he made his points.

Even if JB had been characterizing Sister White in some incorrect way, for you to just state that you disagree is not enlightening; you could at least have made clear what you were disagreeing with and why.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84065
01/15/07 05:56 PM
01/15/07 05:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: And here I thought JB had responded on your comments Mike, rather than Ellens.

MM: I explained that I was unable to go back and put her comments in quotations. It was because the "edit" function disabled itself before I realized my mistake. Again, the first paragraph is mine, the rest are hers, the ones JB critiqued.

TE: MM, JB wasn't responding to what Sister White wrote, but what you wrote. He quoted what you said, which was this:

MM: Please go back to my post and you'll see that her comments begin at the second paragraph which begins with - The law reveals to man his sins. . .

TE: Even if JB had been characterizing Sister White in some incorrect way, for you to just state that you disagree is not enlightening; you could at least have made clear what you were disagreeing with and why.

MM: I posted exactly what I disagree with. It should be obvious why.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84067
01/15/07 06:39 PM
01/15/07 06:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Not “give up”, but rather the Holy Spirit influences them to “confess”, in light of the cross, their sinful habits and practices. They admit that their cultivated habits are sinful and need to be crucified.

TE: They confess them, but don't give them up? Is that what you're saying?

MM: Not “give up” in the sense that they are “crucified”. My list of SC quotes explains that unconverted people are motivated to make outward corrections to their behavior, but I believe that such things are not the same thing as crucifying them.

………………………

MM: The Holy Spirit empowers them to crucify their old man sinful habits when the last sinful habit is revealed to them and confessed. At this point they are born again.

TE: Ok, so you're definition of being born again is having the last sinful habit revealed and confessed. (excluding exceptions). Being born again has nothing to do with the heart being transformed? Or God waits until the last sin is confessed, and at that moment transforms the heart? I'm not getting where the transformation of the heart fits in.

MM: They experience the miracle of rebirth the instant their old man is crucified. It is at this precise point that God “implants” within them the sinless seed or mind of the new man. It comes complete with all the “fruits” and “righteous attributes” of God’s character. “Not one is missing.” They receive a “heart of flesh”.

……………………………..

MM: They will not commit a known sin, repeat a former sinful habit, nor will they cultivate new sinful habits, while abiding in Jesus.

TE: Which means what? That is, what does "abiding in Jesus" mean?

MM: Jesus explained what it means by using the vine-branch metaphor. He also said, “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10)

Quote:
John
15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every [branch] that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned.
15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

MM: The fruit of abiding in Jesus is fruit bearing, that is, maturing in the fruits of the Spirit, imitating the example of Jesus. It is akin to the “mystery of godliness”. Exactly how God unites divinity and humanity in human flesh is a mystery. The righteous fruit we bear is evidence that God is blending divinity and humanity.

MH 180
Christ came to make us "partakers of the divine nature," and His life declares that humanity, combined with divinity, does not commit sin. {MH 180.5}

To abide in Jesus means 1) to decide to “die daily”, 2) to continue claiming His promises, 3) to keep on choosing to behold Christ and Him crucified, 4) to fight the good fight of faith, and then, like magic, we are empowered to be like Jesus – kind, loving, patient, compassionate, righteous, obedient, a faithful witness, etc.

Quote:
Chap. 138 - Fruit-Bearing Branches

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. John 15:1, 2. {OHC 144.1}

The Saviour . . . points out the sign of discipleship: "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples." By faith we are to lay hold on a living God, and maintain an experience that shall breathe love, tenderness, kindness, compassion, and affection. These traits of character are the fruit that the Lord Jesus desires us to produce, and to present before the world as a witness that we have a Saviour who can uplift and who can satisfy. . . . We need not be on the losing side, for in everything He is our sufficiency. {OHC 144.2}

What we need is the presence of Jesus Christ. We want His truth shining in our hearts, pervading all our life actions. This will determine whether or not we are branches of the True Vine. If we are fruit-bearing branches we may expect that the Great Husbandman will prune us, that we may bring forth more fruit. All that is useless, all that would hinder our growth in the Christian life, must be removed. {OHC 144.3}

When the purging comes, we frequently feel that the Lord is against us. Instead of this we should look to ourselves and see if there is not something we have left undone or something we need to take away from our lives before we can stand in right relation to God. . . . {OHC 144.4}

We must be living branches of the True Vine, daily laying hold of our Redeemer that we may bear the fruits of a Christian character. . . . When we are willing to practice self-denial and self-sacrifice, as Christ practiced it in His life, we shall bear fruit to God's glory. {OHC 144.5}

It is the Saviour's delight to see His followers colaborers with God, receiving bountifully all the means of fruit bearing, and giving bountifully, as workers under Him. Christ glorified His Father by the fruit He bore, and the lives of His true followers will produce the same result. Receiving and imparting, His workers will produce much fruit. {OHC 144.6}

Chap. 139 - Abiding in Christ

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. John 15:4. {OHC 145.1}

As the severed branch, leafless, and apparently lifeless, is ingrafted into the living stock, and, fiber by fiber, and vein by vein, drinks in the life and strength of the vine until it buds and blossoms and bears fruit, even so may the sinner, by repentance and faith, connect himself with Christ, become a partaker of the divine nature, and bring forth in words and deeds the fruit of a holy life. {OHC 145.2}

Jesus "has life in himself," and this life He offers to impart freely, to souls that are dead in trespasses and sins. Yea, He shares with them His purity, His honor, and exaltation. . . . The sapless branch, ingrafted into the living vine, becomes a part of the vine. It lives while united to the vine. So the Christian lives by virtue of his union with Christ. The sinful and human is linked to the holy and divine. The believing soul abides in Christ, and becomes one with Him. When persons are closely united in the relations of this life, their tastes become similar, they come to love the same things. So those who abide in Christ will love the things which He loves. They will sacredly cherish and obey His commandments. . . . {OHC 145.3}

The vine-branch, nourished from the parent stock, becomes flourishing and fruitful. Its rich and fragrant clusters attest its union with the living vine. So the Christian, abiding in Jesus, will bring forth fruit. In character and life will be manifested, like the teeming cluster of the vine, the precious graces of the Spirit,--love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. . . . {OHC 145.4}

Resolve that you will be fruit-bearing members of the living Vine. The scion can flourish only as it receives life and strength from the parent stock. Improve, then, every opportunity to connect yourselves more closely with Christ. It is by believing Him, loving Him, copying Him, and depending wholly upon Him, that you are to become one with Him; and through you His life and character will be revealed to the world. {OHC 145.5}

Chap. 140 - The Source of My Strength

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. John 15:5. {OHC 146.1}

We are finite, but a wonderful arrangement has been made that we may have close connection with the Infinite. . . . Finite beings at their best can do but little, but Christ working through humanity may accomplish wonderful results. {OHC 146.2}

It is a painful thought to me that I can do so little. The limited sphere of human capabilities leads me to feel indeed the words of Christ, "Without Me ye can do nothing." Many are endowed with superior talents and do not use them, because they have no living connection with God. . . . My own scanty knowledge and feeble energies drive me to Jesus, and the language of my heart is, "Oh God, I can do nothing. I hang my helpless soul on Thee, Jesus Christ my Saviour. Put Thy grace into my heart. Attract my mind from my weakness to Thy almighty strength, from my ignorance to Thy eternal wisdom, from my frailty to Thy enduring might. Give me correct views of the great plan of redemption. Let me see and understand what Christ is to me, and that my heart, soul, mind, and strength are bought with a price. Christ has imparted to me that I may impart to others. Lift up my soul; strengthen and enlighten my mind that I may comprehend more clearly the character of God as revealed in Jesus Christ, that I may know that it is my privilege to be a partaker of the divine nature." {OHC 146.3}

The great and eternal power of God fills my mind with awe, and sometimes even terror. . . . May I indeed look upon Jesus, full of goodness and compassion and love, and behold the Lord God, and call Him by the endearing name of Father. {OHC 146.4}

The deep struggles of my own soul against temptations, the earnest longings of my mind and heart to know God and Jesus Christ as my personal Saviour, and to have assurance, peace, and rest in their love, lead me to desire every day to be where the beams of the Sun of Righteousness can shine upon me. {OHC 146.5}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84069
01/15/07 07:06 PM
01/15/07 07:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
MM, please see post #83913. I addressed your concerns there. If you didn't understand something I wrote there, you can ask me something specific.

Tom

The following post is 83913:

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
1. Asking me to pick what best describes my thought from a list you have composed is pointless.

2. My point regarding the NIV and 1 John 3:9 was that is says "No one who is born of God will continue to sin" (this is from memory; that's close if not perfect) which you, for some reason, interpret to mean "No one who is born of God will not continue to sin." That's what I said was weird. You also had a list of three things which you inferred from this statement, which I saw no basis for inferring.

I pointed out that where I see the difference is not so much in the texts themselves (that is, how the NIV and KJV put it) but in how you interpret them, where you interpret the NIV to mean exactly the opposite of what it says.

3. I'm not following the end of what you were saying, but, in brief, what my point was is that the character is not comprised of the occasional misdeed or occasional good deed. A person can be a born again Christ and occasionally commit an occasional misdeed, a sin. It seems to me that you are taking a principle, and wanting to make an iron clad rule out of it. Actually, all of your views seem to be like this. They are stated in absolutes. You seem to think this way.

For example, you wrote that in order for a person to be born again, the Holy Spirit must reveal every cultivated sinful habit from birth and must confess them all. This is an absolute statement, which is obviously false. I was able to convince you of the falsity of the statement, because you changed it to be that all sinful habits must be revealed and confessed, except for exceptions to the rule. But, even though you recognize the falsity of the absolute statement, which is seen by your correction of it, you still to not admit the error, which is also an interesting characteristic of your style of thinking.

Part of the reason I've continued to dialog with you is to try to understand how you think. It's very challenging. I've figured out a few things, but there are other things I don't understand (such as your reticence to admit error).

Point #1 did not address my question.

………………..

Point #2 did not address my question.

Quote:
MM: Tom, please help me understand the differences between the NIV and the KJV in the following questions. Thank you.

1. What is the difference between “continue to sin” and “doth not commit sin”?

2. What is the difference between “he cannot go on sinning” and “he cannot sin”?

TE: I've answered this three times, or something like that.

It would be nice if you would take the time to explain the differences.

………………………

Point #3 did not address my question.

…………………..

In the following post you introduce your interpretation of the good tree – bad tree metaphor:

Quote:
[1] The difference is in you, in how you are interpreting the versions. You, for some odd reason, are interpreting the NIV, which says, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin" to mean "One who is born of God will continue to sin."

[2] There's a verse which reads, "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit." (Matt. 7:18). This doesn't mean that no good tree ever in the history of man has produced a bad fruit, but rather that, as a general practice, good trees to not produce bad fruit. Indeed, it is the fact that they, as a general practice, produce good fruit that makes them good trees. Similarly one who is born of God cannot sin. In the same way that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit. The born again person is not characterized by a life of sin. It's not saying that a born again is not able to commit a sin.

[3] Did you catch your error regarding what you said the King James version says and what it actually says?

1&3. I believe what the NIV means is – They will not continue sinning once they realize they are sinning. Which means they will, on occasion, commit known sins. The KJV does not allow for this idea. It simply says they do not and cannot sin while abiding in Jesus.

2. “This doesn't mean that no good tree ever in the history of man has produced a bad fruit, but rather that, as a general practice, good trees to not produce bad fruit.” In my mind, this idea implies that good trees can, on occasion, produce bad fruit. Is that what you meant to say?

“Similarly one who is born of God cannot sin. In the same way that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit.” Again, in my mind, this idea implies that 1 John 3:1-10, the passage we have been examining, means that people who are abiding in Jesus can, while abiding in Jesus, commit a known sin. Is that what you meant to say?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84074
01/15/07 08:14 PM
01/15/07 08:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
My first point did address your first question. I pointed out that for you to make a list of things to choose from which best address my point is pointless. Why would you do this? You put a bunch of things on the list that are talking about something else, and asking for me to pick from that.

On the second question, my point was not that there were differences between the NIV and the KJV, but that you were interpreting the NIV in a strange way. The NIV says the born again believer will not continue to sin, but you wrote that it implied such would continue to sin, because it used the phrase "continue to sin" instead of "doth not sin." I don't think this is so much a difference between the NIV and the KJV as it is a difference in the way you are interpreting these translations.

You are interpreting the KJV to mean exactly what you believe, and are interpreting the NIV to mean something different than what you believe. You are the one making the case that these translations are different, which I pointed out.

You seem to be doing the same thing in this question as in the first, which is to ask me to make your point for you. You need to make your own points. If you think the versions are different, you need to point out why.

I don't know what the third question is.

Regarding your interpretation of the NIV, I don't read anything in the text which suggests that they will not continue sinning once they realize they are sinning. I don't think this is what John was talking about -- this wasn't on his mind at all. And it's not what the NIV says or implies. I don't see that. You'd have to explain what there is in the text that makes you think this, because it appears to me you are reading your idea into the text.

Regarding the KJV, English is not so precise as to disallow other meanings, as you are suggesting. There are many who accept the KJV translation as accurate who do not interpret it to say what you think it is saying.

By the way, the sin that John is talking about is not sinful behavior, such as smoking or drinking, but the sin of not loving your neighbor. This is brought out by the context.

Also, John says that one who is born again cannot commit sin. He doesn't says, a born again person does not commit sin as long as he abides in Jesus. He simply says a born again person cannot sin. Actually John gives as the reason that the born again person cannot sin is because he is born again. So if you were correct that John was actually saying that the "cannot sin" part means literally "in unable to commit any sin whatsoever at any time" then this would mean that no born again person would ever sin, even once.

Regarding the good tree producing bad fruit, I thought I was clear. In fact, as I re-read it, I see that I was clear. I wrote:

Quote:
This doesn't mean that no good tree ever in the history of man has produced a bad fruit, but rather that, as a general practice, good trees to not produce bad fruit. Indeed, it is the fact that they, as a general practice, produce good fruit that makes them good trees. Similarly one who is born of God cannot sin. In the same way that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit. The born again person is not characterized by a life of sin. It's not saying that a born again is not able to commit a sin.

I do not see anything unclear about this. I could write it out numerically:

1.This doesn't mean that no good tree ever in the history of man has produced a bad fruit, but rather that, as a general practice, good trees to not produce bad fruit.

2.Indeed, it is the fact that they, as a general practice, produce good fruit that makes them good trees.

3.The born again person is not characterized by a life of sin.

4.It's not saying that a born again is not able to commit a sin.

Please note that there is absolutely nothing in these points which suggests or implies that a born again believer *will* sin. It is pointing out that John's point is not that a born again believer is incapable of sinning, nor that no born again believer will ever commit a sin.

Indeed, we know this cannot be John's point because he states elsewhere that if anyone sin, we have an advocate. He says, "I write these things that ye sin not" recognizing that it is not necessary to sin, but also writes, "If anyone sin..." recognizing the possibility of sin.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84076
01/15/07 09:21 PM
01/15/07 09:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay, Tom, based on what you just posted it sounds like we're saying the same thing about 1 John 3:1-10. I believe this passage, verses 1 thru 10 (not verse 9 by itself), teach us that we will not commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus.

Page 34 of 51 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!