HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 51 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84005
01/14/07 04:27 PM
01/14/07 04:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Eagles or vultures? Again, there are places in the KJV where the translators didn't get it right. But doctrinally speaking it is almost always right. One exception is the word "sacrifice" in Daniel.

EW 74
Then I saw in relation to the "daily" (Dan. 8:12) that the word "sacrifice" was supplied by man's wisdom, and does not belong to the text . . . {EW 74.2}

Tom, in relation to John’s response to my post (83857) I am referring to his post (83888). All but the first paragraph of my post is from the SOP. The edit button is missing and I could not go back and place her comments in quotes.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84006
01/14/07 04:31 PM
01/14/07 04:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: MM, please see post #83913. I addressed your concerns there. If you didn't understand something I wrote there, you can ask me something specific.

1. Asking me to pick what best describes my thought from a list you have composed is pointless.

MM: Please humor me. The list is from SC. Here it is again.

Quote:
1. They may produce an outward correctness of behavior, but they cannot change the heart; they cannot purify the springs of life. {SC 18.1}

2. The idea that it is necessary only to develop the good that exists in man by nature, is a fatal deception. {SC 18.2}

3. Multitudes sorrow that they have sinned and even make an outward reformation because they fear that their wrongdoing will bring suffering upon themselves. {SC 23.3}

4. It is true that men sometimes become ashamed of their sinful ways, and give up some of their evil habits, before they are conscious that they are being drawn to Christ. {SC 27.1}

5. We may have flattered ourselves, as did Nicodemus, that our life has been upright, that our moral character is correct, and think that we need not humble the heart before God, like the common sinner: but when the light from Christ shines into our souls, we shall see how impure we are; we shall discern the selfishness of motive, the enmity against God, that has defiled every act of life. Then we shall know that our own righteousness is indeed as filthy rags, and that the blood of Christ alone can cleanse us from the defilement of sin, and renew our hearts in His own likeness. {SC 28.3}

6. Paul says that as "touching the righteousness which is in the law"--as far as outward acts were concerned --he was "blameless" (Philippians 3:6); but when the spiritual character of the law was discerned, he saw himself a sinner. Judged by the letter of the law as men apply it to the outward life, he had abstained from sin; but when he looked into the depths of its holy precepts, and saw himself as God saw him, he bowed in humiliation and confessed his guilt. He says, "I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." Romans 7:9. When he saw the spiritual nature of the law, sin appeared in its true hideousness, and his self-esteem was gone. {SC 29.3}

7. It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. By what means, then, shall we determine whose side we are on? {SC 58.1}

2. My point regarding the NIV and 1 John 3:9 was that is says "No one who is born of God will continue to sin" (this is from memory; that's close if not perfect) which you, for some reason, interpret to mean "No one who is born of God will not continue to sin."

Quote:
TE: The difference is in you, in how you are interpreting the versions. You, for some odd reason, are interpreting the NIV, which says, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin" to mean "One who is born of God will continue to sin."

MM: I’m sorry, Tom, but can you please help me understand the differences between the following contrasts? Thank you.

1. What is the difference between “continue to sin” and “doth not commit sin”?

2. What is the difference between “he cannot go on sinning” and “he cannot sin”?

3. . . . the character is not comprised of the occasional misdeed or occasional good deed. A person can be a born again Christ and occasionally commit an occasional misdeed, a sin.

MM: I agree.

………………………….

TE: There's a verse which reads, "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit." (Matt. 7:18). This doesn't mean that no good tree ever in the history of man has produced a bad fruit, but rather that, as a general practice, good trees to not produce bad fruit. Indeed, it is the fact that they, as a general practice, produce good fruit that makes them good trees. Similarly one who is born of God cannot sin. In the same way that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit. The born again person is not characterized by a life of sin. It's not saying that a born again is not able to commit a sin.

MM: It never occurred to me to read what Jesus taught in the way you just suggested: 1) that the good tree - bad tree metaphor actually means “every” good tree can produce bad fruit and “every” bad tree can produce good fruit, 2) that this interpretation helps explain why 1 John 3:1-10 cannot possibly mean born again believers do not and cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus, 3) that it means they can commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus.

Matthew
7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

MM: Does this next quote, and the ones following it, also support your interpretation of the good tree - bad tree metaphor?

UL 154
The fruit of the tree testifies if it is a good or corrupt tree. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit; neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. By their fruits ye shall know them. Let us so speak and so labor that our fruit may be unto righteousness and we letting our light shine forth in good works. Profession is nothing. A godly life alone will God approve. {UL 154.3}

Quote:
The practicing of the truth is essential. The bearing of fruit testifies to the character of the tree. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit. The line of demarcation will be plain and distinct between those who love God and keep His commandments and those who love Him not and disregard His precepts. There is need of a thorough conversion to the truth.--Manuscript 56, 1900. {Ev 308.2}

The character of the Christian is shown by his daily life. Said Christ, "Every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit" (Matt. 7:17). Our Saviour compares Himself to a vine, of which His followers are the branches. He plainly declares that all who would be His disciples must bring forth fruit; and then He shows how they may become fruitful branches. "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me" (John 15:4). {RC 96.2}

The apostle Paul describes the fruit which the Christian is to bear. He says that it "is in all goodness and righteousness and truth" (Eph. 5:9). And again, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance" (Gal. 5:22, 23). These precious graces are but the principles of God's law carried out in the life. {RC 96.3}

In these days of peril we are not to accept everything that men bring to us as truth. As professed teachers from God come to us declaring that they have a message from God, it is proper to inquire carefully, How do we know that this is truth? Jesus has told us that "false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many" (Matt. 24:11). But we need not be deceived; for the Word of God gives us a test whereby we may know what is truth. The prophet says, "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" (Isa. 8:20). {2SM 99.1}

From this statement it is evident that it becomes us to be diligent Bible students, that we may know what is according to the law and the testimony. We are safe in no other course of action. Jesus says, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire" (Matt. 7:15-19).--The Review and Herald, Feb. 23, 1892. {2SM 99.2}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84008
01/14/07 04:58 PM
01/14/07 04:58 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
JB: These are important thoughts, and I trust you are considering them, though they might be quite new to you.

MM: John, it is hard for me to appreciate it when you even find fault with what Sister White wrote about it.

It appears you do not wish to own what you wrote or quoted.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: John Boskovic] #84016
01/14/07 07:21 PM
01/14/07 07:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I can't make sense of your last post, MM. Sorry. The only thing I understood from it was your repeated request that I choose something that represents my thought from a list you composed. I don't see the point in this.

You seem to have the idea that one either exhibits sinful behavior all the time, or does so none of the time. Either everything a person does is sinful behavior, or none of it is. My point is that this is not the case. Neither Scripture nor our experience bears this out.

Nothing on your list is looked to be presenting the point I was making. Everything on your list appeared to me to be dealing with the necessity of being converted.

Tom

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84017
01/14/07 07:23 PM
01/14/07 07:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, John's post #83888 was very well written, I thought, and presented excellent points and arguments. I haven't seen that you have addressed any of these.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84020
01/14/07 09:49 PM
01/14/07 09:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
JB: It appears you do not wish to own what you wrote or quoted.

MM: I agree with with what Sister White wrote. I disagree with your critique of what she wrote.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84028
01/14/07 10:07 PM
01/14/07 10:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: You seem to have the idea that one either exhibits sinful behavior all the time, or does so none of the time. Either everything a person does is sinful behavior, or none of it is. My point is that this is not the case. Neither Scripture nor our experience bears this out.

MM: Again, I believe everything we do before we experience the miracle of rebirth is tainted with selfishness. And, I believe everything we do as a result of abiding in Jesus is righteous. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous." (1 John 3:7)

TE: Nothing on your list is looked to be presenting the point I was making. Everything on your list appeared to me to be dealing with the necessity of being converted.

MM: I posted the list in response to your claim that unconverted people perform good works which count as good works from God's perspective. The following quote is interesting n light of what you believe about it.

SC 58
It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. By what means, then, shall we determine whose side we are on? {SC 58.1}

MM: Tom, please help me understand the differences between the NIV and the KJV in the following questions. Thank you.

2. What is the difference between “he cannot go on sinning” and “he cannot sin”?

TE: There's a verse which reads, "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit." (Matt. 7:18). This doesn't mean that no good tree ever in the history of man has produced a bad fruit, but rather that, as a general practice, good trees to not produce bad fruit. Indeed, it is the fact that they, as a general practice, produce good fruit that makes them good trees. Similarly one who is born of God cannot sin. In the same way that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit. The born again person is not characterized by a life of sin. It's not saying that a born again is not able to commit a sin.

MM: Here's what I hear you saying (please correct me if I've misunderstood you):

1) the good tree - bad tree metaphor means “every” good tree can produce bad fruit and “every” bad tree can produce good fruit,

2) this insight explains why 1 John 3:1-10 cannot possibly mean born again believers do not and cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus,

3) instead, 1 John 3:1-10 means born again believers can commit a known sin while they are actively abiding in Jesus.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84032
01/15/07 01:32 AM
01/15/07 01:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, you're reframing our dialog, having me make claims I'm not making and saying things I'm not saying. I chose my words carefully. You should stick to what I'm actually saying.

Yes, you misunderstood my point with the trees. I suggest you re-read what I wrote. It was clear.

You're saying everything so differently than what I am, I don't know how to continue from here, unless you backtrack and deal with points I'm actually making and things I'm actually saying.

I'd be interested in your responding to JB's post, which I thought was excellent. (83888) Perhaps you can understand JB better than you have understood me. We could continue our discussion on the basis of that post.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84034
01/15/07 01:50 AM
01/15/07 01:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I thought of another way of trying to make my point, so forget about my previous attempt, as it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.

You've brought out several times that the process of being born again is a length, protracted process. I think you see the process as follows:

a)The Holy Spirit works with the unbeliever to give up sinful habits.
b)The unbeliever learns about sinful habits, and gives them up little by little (this is the lengthy, protracted process) until he's finally ready to have every cultivated habit since birth revealed to him, and confess them all (not including exceptions to the rule).
c)At this point the person becomes born again, and ceases doing any sinful behavior, as long as he abides in Jesus.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate, according to what you have been sharing, but please correct my characterization of your beliefs if you disagree with anything I've said above.

I'll guess I'll stop here and just ask if I've correctly understood your ideas.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84056
01/15/07 03:34 PM
01/15/07 03:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
a) The Holy Spirit works with the unbeliever to give up sinful habits.

MM: Not “give up”, but rather the Holy Spirit influences them to “confess”, in light of the cross, their sinful habits and practices. They admit that their cultivated habits are sinful and need to be crucified.

b) The unbeliever learns about sinful habits, and gives them up little by little (this is the lengthy, protracted process) until he's finally ready to have every cultivated habit since birth revealed to him, and confess them all (not including exceptions to the rule).

MM: In normal cases, ones not involving exceptions to the rule, the Holy Spirit carefully reveals to them, in light of the cross, their cultivated sinful habits. He does not reveal to them the sinful traits and tendencies that they inherited at birth but have not yet cultivated.

c) At this point the person becomes born again, and ceases doing any sinful behavior, as long as he abides in Jesus.

MM: The Holy Spirit empowers them to crucify their old man sinful habits when the last sinful habit is revealed to them and confessed. At this point they are born again. They will not commit a known sin, repeat a former sinful habit, nor will they cultivate new sinful habits, while abiding in Jesus.

They are not incapable of committing a known sin, but to do so they must first stop abiding in Jesus, stop walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, revert back to the mind of the old man, all of which happens the instant they take their eyes off Jesus – and then all they can do is sin.

Repentance restores the relationship their sin severed, and they resume abiding in Jesus, growing in grace, maturing in the fruits of the Spirit.

…………………………….

MM: Tom, please help me understand the differences between the NIV and the KJV in the following questions. Thank you.

………………………………

MM: Here's what I hear you saying (please correct me if I've misunderstood you):

1) the good tree - bad tree metaphor means “every” good tree can produce bad fruit and “every” bad tree can produce good fruit,

2) this insight explains why 1 John 3:1-10 cannot possibly mean born again believers do not and cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus,

3) instead, 1 John 3:1-10 means born again believers can commit a known sin while they are actively abiding in Jesus.

Page 33 of 51 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!