HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 37 of 51 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84173
01/18/07 12:27 AM
01/18/07 12:27 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: After this happens, they are born again, and cannot sin. That's what the text says, correct? … John says a born again person cannot sin. Period. No qualification.

MM: The context contains conditions, which is – abiding in Jesus. Being born again is not what empowers them to cease sinning. Abiding in Jesus is what empowers them to stop sinning. We cannot divorce the two, that is, 1) rebirth and 2) abiding in Jesus. Both are necessary for them to be like Jesus.

SC 61
"Ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him." 1 John 3:5, 6. Here is the true test. If we abide in Christ, if the love of God dwells in us, our feelings, our thoughts, our purposes, our actions, will be in harmony with the will of God as expressed in the precepts of His holy law. {SC 61.1}

…………………………

TE: This isn't all you've said about it. You've been saying for a long time that a person who is not born again can do nothing but sin. As I stated, this is what I showed was false.

MM: It is not false. Unconverted people cannot experience “good works”. Yes, unbelievers can do good things, but such things do not count, from God’s perspective, as “good works”.

…………………………..

TE: In order to abide in Jesus, is it necessary to have faith? (that wasn't on the list). How is what you believe any different than saying that a born again person cannot sin unless he chooses to sin?

MM: By faith we abide in Jesus. By faith we do the things on the “list”. A born again believe cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus. By not choosing to abide in Jesus they are choosing to commit a known sin.

…………………………

TE: You say "we are sinning if we are not abiding in Jesus." John said that one who is born of God cannot sin. So how can one who is born of God not abide in Jesus? You don't see the contradiction here?

MM: I see no contradiction. Only born again believers can choose not to abide in Jesus. This choice in not an option for people not abiding in Jesus.

………………………..

TE: The fact that you personally don't know or understand something does not mean that the thing you don't know or understand is unknowable or not understandable.

MM: Okay. But this principle doesn’t apply to those things we cannot explain. “The science of salvation cannot be explained; but it can be known by experience.”

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84181
01/18/07 03:51 AM
01/18/07 03:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: After this happens, they are born again, and cannot sin. That's what the text says, correct? … John says a born again person cannot sin. Period. No qualification.

MM: The context contains conditions, which is – abiding in Jesus. Being born again is not what empowers them to cease sinning.

No it doesn't. It says, "He cannot sin because he is born of God." It doesn't says, "He cannot sin because He abides in Jesus. You keep saying the text says something it doesn't say. The text does not say "being born again is not what empowers him to cease sinning." It says, "He cannot sin." Why? "Because he is born of God."

Abiding in Jesus is what empowers them to stop sinning.
We cannot divorce the two, that is, 1) rebirth and 2) abiding in Jesus. Both are necessary for them to be like Jesus.

SC 61
"Ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him." 1 John 3:5, 6. Here is the true test. If we abide in Christ, if the love of God dwells in us, our feelings, our thoughts, our purposes, our actions, will be in harmony with the will of God as expressed in the precepts of His holy law. {SC 61.1}

Now this is in harmony with what John wrote!

Let's get back to my point. John says that one who is born again cannot sin. So how can one who is born again choose not to abide in Jesus, since choosing not to abide in Jesus would lead to sin?

Do you see the problem? You state that a born again person can choose not to abide in Jesus. You also state, "We are sinning if we are not abiding in Jesus." So a born again person who chooses not to abide in Jesus is, as you point out, "sinning." But John says that a born again person cannot sin.

…………………………

TE: This isn't all you've said about it. You've been saying for a long time that a person who is not born again can do nothing but sin. As I stated, this is what I showed was false.

MM: It is not false. Unconverted people cannot experience “good works”. Yes, unbelievers can do good things, but such things do not count, from God’s perspective, as “good works”.

You're saying a different thing here. What you've said in the past is that a person who is not born again can do nothing but sin. But you say that such a person, responding to the prompting of the Holy Spirit to confess his sins is not commiting sin, contradicting yourself.

…………………………..

TE: In order to abide in Jesus, is it necessary to have faith? (that wasn't on the list). How is what you believe any different than saying that a born again person cannot sin unless he chooses to sin?

MM: By faith we abide in Jesus. By faith we do the things on the “list”. A born again believe cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus. By not choosing to abide in Jesus they are choosing to commit a known sin.

I think the way EGW put it is good. It reminds me of another statement she wrote elsewhere:

Quote:
When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. (COL 312)

Notice in the above quote, which you cited, she equates abiding in Christ with the love of God dwelling in us. This is in harmony with John's emphasis. What causes the love of God to dwell in us? "We love Him because He first loved us." It is the love of God, revealed on the cross, which draws us to Him. As Christ is revealed to us, we are motivated to respond to His love. This is why it is the character of God that is so important that we understand. This is why the whole purpose of Christ's earthly ministry was the revelation of God.

…………………………

TE: You say "we are sinning if we are not abiding in Jesus." John said that one who is born of God cannot sin. So how can one who is born of God not abide in Jesus? You don't see the contradiction here?

MM: I see no contradiction. Only born again believers can choose not to abide in Jesus. This choice in not an option for people not abiding in Jesus

The contradiction is that John says that one who is born of God cannot sin. You say that choosing not to abide in Jesus is sinning. So you say that one who is born of God can sin. That's the contradiction..

………………………..

TE: The fact that you personally don't know or understand something does not mean that the thing you don't know or understand is unknowable or not understandable.

MM: Okay. But this principle doesn’t apply to those things we cannot explain. “The science of salvation cannot be explained; but it can be known by experience.”

I was making an observation that you use the expression "this is a mystery" often, not to things that "we cannot explain" but to things you cannot explain.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84186
01/18/07 07:15 AM
01/18/07 07:15 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Thomas, I already know what I believe about it. I wasn't sure why you posted them.
In such case it probably makes no difference anyhow.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: vastergotland] #84193
01/18/07 08:50 AM
01/18/07 08:50 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I admire your patience Tom, really do.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: vastergotland] #84197
01/18/07 01:57 PM
01/18/07 01:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It's a blessing .... and a curse.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84207
01/18/07 04:28 PM
01/18/07 04:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Do you see the problem? You state that a born again person can choose not to abide in Jesus. You also state, "We are sinning if we are not abiding in Jesus." So a born again person who chooses not to abide in Jesus is, as you point out, "sinning." But John says that a born again person cannot sin.

MM: I do not believe born again believers can commit known sins while abiding in Jesus. The reason, as I understand it, that they cannot commit known sins while abiding in Jesus is because they are 1) born again and 2) abiding in Jesus.

I realize you disagree with this observation. You seem to think there is another reason why they cannot commit known sins. Please share with me what you believe about it. And, I would appreciate it if you would simply share what you think without finding fault with what I believe about it. Thank you.

…………………………

TE: You're saying a different thing here. What you've said in the past is that a person who is not born again can do nothing but sin. But you say that such a person, responding to the prompting of the Holy Spirit to confess his sins is not commiting sin, contradicting yourself.

MM: Admitting that our sinful habits are wrong is not a sin. However, whatever we do about it before we are born again is, in one way or another, tainted with sin and selfishness. “For whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” (Rom 14:23)

…………………………..

TE: Notice in the above quote, which you cited, she equates abiding in Christ with the love of God dwelling in us. This is in harmony with John's emphasis. What causes the love of God to dwell in us? "We love Him because He first loved us." It is the love of God, revealed on the cross, which draws us to Him. As Christ is revealed to us, we are motivated to respond to His love. This is why it is the character of God that is so important that we understand. This is why the whole purpose of Christ's earthly ministry was the revelation of God.

MM: I agree.

……………………………

TE: The contradiction is that John says that one who is born of God cannot sin. You say that choosing not to abide in Jesus is sinning. So you say that one who is born of God can sin. That's the contradiction.

MM: Here’s what I wrote about it:

Quote:
MM: Choosing not to abide in Jesus is not a sin, rather it leads to sinning. We are sinning if we are not abiding in Jesus. We are either all of His and free of sin, or we are none of His and full of sin. We cannot be partially born again. “If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.” (Romans 8:9) “No man can serve two masters.” (Matthew 6:24) “None of us can occupy a neutral position; our influence will tell for or against. We are active agents for Christ or for the enemy. We either gather with Jesus or scatter abroad.” (4T 16)

TE: I was making an observation that you use the expression "this is a mystery" often, not to things that "we cannot explain" but to things you cannot explain.

MM: Okay.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: vastergotland] #84208
01/18/07 04:29 PM
01/18/07 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Thomas, I already know what I believe about it. I wasn't sure why you posted them.

It matters to me what you think about it.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84212
01/18/07 05:06 PM
01/18/07 05:06 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Why?

Galatians 2

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: vastergotland] #84213
01/18/07 05:28 PM
01/18/07 05:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Do you see the problem? You state that a born again person can choose not to abide in Jesus. You also state, "We are sinning if we are not abiding in Jesus." So a born again person who chooses not to abide in Jesus is, as you point out, "sinning." But John says that a born again person cannot sin.

MM: I do not believe born again believers can commit known sins while abiding in Jesus. The reason, as I understand it, that they cannot commit known sins while abiding in Jesus is because they are 1) born again and 2) abiding in Jesus.

I realize you disagree with this observation. You seem to think there is another reason why they cannot commit known sins. Please share with me what you believe about it. And, I would appreciate it if you would simply share what you think without finding fault with what I believe about it. Thank you.

I disagree with your logic, which isn't sound. I've tried to explain why, but you're not getting it, I'm not sure why. I have made no comment regarding the observation. I've been trying to get you to see the logic first. I was going to make a point if I were successful in getting you to see the logic here, but it doesn't appear that that's going to happen, so I haven't made my point, so you can't can't make any judgements what I think about your observations, because I haven't made any, as we didn't get that far.

…………………………

TE: You're saying a different thing here. What you've said in the past is that a person who is not born again can do nothing but sin. But you say that such a person, responding to the prompting of the Holy Spirit to confess his sins is not commiting sin, contradicting yourself.

MM: Admitting that our sinful habits are wrong is not a sin. However, whatever we do about it before we are born again is, in one way or another, tainted with sin and selfishness. “For whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” (Rom 14:23)

Again, not the point I was addressing, and not relevant to the veracity of what you have said in the past. You have stated, often, that before one is born again one can do nothing but sin. Yet I succeeded in providing an example which you agree with where this is not the case. So what you said before (a person who is born again can do nothing but sin) contradicts what you say now (Admitting that our sinful habits are wrong is not a sin).

…………………………..

TE: Notice in the above quote, which you cited, she equates abiding in Christ with the love of God dwelling in us. This is in harmony with John's emphasis. What causes the love of God to dwell in us? "We love Him because He first loved us." It is the love of God, revealed on the cross, which draws us to Him. As Christ is revealed to us, we are motivated to respond to His love. This is why it is the character of God that is so important that we understand. This is why the whole purpose of Christ's earthly ministry was the revelation of God.

MM: I agree.

……………………………

TE: The contradiction is that John says that one who is born of God cannot sin. You say that choosing not to abide in Jesus is sinning. So you say that one who is born of God can sin. That's the contradiction.

MM: Here’s what I wrote about it:

Quote:
MM: Choosing not to abide in Jesus is not a sin, rather it leads to sinning. We are sinning if we are not abiding in Jesus. We are either all of His and free of sin, or we are none of His and full of sin. We cannot be partially born again. “If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.” (Romans 8:9) “No man can serve two masters.” (Matthew 6:24) “None of us can occupy a neutral position; our influence will tell for or against. We are active agents for Christ or for the enemy. We either gather with Jesus or scatter abroad.” (4T 16)

Which is what I said. "We are sinning if we are not abiding in Jesus." So, according to you:
a)A born again person can choose not to abide in Jesus.
b)Not abiding in Jesus is sinning.

Which means:
c)A born again person can sin.

But John says:

d)A born again person cannot sin.

This is a contradiction.

TE: I was making an observation that you use the expression "this is a mystery" often, not to things that "we cannot explain" but to things you cannot explain.

MM: Okay.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: vastergotland] #84214
01/18/07 07:40 PM
01/18/07 07:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Why?
Because you posted it for a reason, but I don't know what that reason is. It was important to you. I like knowing important things.

Page 37 of 51 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!