HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85192
02/10/07 03:58 AM
02/10/07 03:58 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't agree, but thats Ok. I believe that God knows the end from the beginning, its very simple for me.

Of course God knows the end from the beginning, but how many beginnings are there, one or two? For example, Eve could have eaten from the forbidden tree or not. If she did, God knew what would happen. If she didn't, God knew what would happen there too. The fact that God knows the end from the beginning does not mean that the future isn't open. God can know an open future, and know the end from the beginning, just as well with an open future as with a determined one.

Tom: As to why it's important, it provides a framework to answer such questions as, if God knew Lucifer was going to sin, why did He create him.

Will: Thats easy. God gives everyone a choice. Your decision will affect the outcome either good or bad.

I'm going to switch from Lucifer to Eve, because there's a well defined event to consider for Eve, the eating of the fruit.

If God knows that a given event will happen, say A and not B, is it possible for B not to happen? So far everyone participating here has said no, it's not possible for B to happen.

Let's apply this to the eating of the forbidden fruit. If God saw that Eve would eat the forbidden fruit, then, from the previous paragraph, it was not possible for her to not eat the forbidden fruit. Does this make sense to you?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85193
02/10/07 04:01 AM
02/10/07 04:01 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM: "Your goal is teach and to persuade - not to be a learner, a fellow Bible student. Thus, when things do not progress according to your plan you are quick to point it out."

Oops! I forgot to add "it seems to me that your goal is ..." Sorry about that.

This seems sarcastic too. A lot of sarcasm lately. You'll probably deny it, but it's pretty easy to recognize.

Since you've brought up my appearing not to want to learn as a fellow Bible student, allow me to ask you a question. Have you learned anything from me? I've learned from you.

Tom

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85196
02/10/07 10:45 AM
02/10/07 10:45 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I don't agree, but thats Ok. I believe that God knows the end from the beginning, its very simple for me.

Of course God knows the end from the beginning, but how many beginnings are there, one or two? For example, Eve could have eaten from the forbidden tree or not. If she did, God knew what would happen. If she didn't, God knew what would happen there too. The fact that God knows the end from the beginning does not mean that the future isn't open. God can know an open future, and know the end from the beginning, just as well with an open future as with a determined one.

Tom: As to why it's important, it provides a framework to answer such questions as, if God knew Lucifer was going to sin, why did He create him.

Will: Thats easy. God gives everyone a choice. Your decision will affect the outcome either good or bad.

[color:blue]I'm going to switch from Lucifer to Eve, because there's a well defined event to consider for Eve, the eating of the fruit.

[quote=Tom Ewall]If God knows that a given event will happen, say A and not B, is it possible for B not to happen? So far everyone participating here has said no, it's not possible for B to happen.

if he knows A will happen, then it will happen.

Let's apply this to the eating of the forbidden fruit. If God saw that Eve would eat the forbidden fruit, then, from the previous paragraph, it was not possible for her to not eat the forbidden fruit. Does this make sense to you?

Makes absolutely no sense to me, a lot of hypothesizing and way too much thinking into what is a moot point, she ate it, Adam follow soon after, God gave His only begotten Son to redeem us, He was crucified, He was risen from the grave by The Father, He came to destroy the works of the devil, and to set us free.God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.Christ will come, and take us home.
A persons decision affects the outcome, God has given us a choice, we make those choices based on our faith or lack of faith. All things work together for good to them that love God.
God Bless & Happy Sabbath,
Will

Last edited by Will; 02/10/07 10:48 AM.
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Will] #85199
02/10/07 01:20 PM
02/10/07 01:20 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Will

[color:blue]I'm going to switch from Lucifer to Eve, because there's a well defined event to consider for Eve, the eating of the fruit.

[quote=Tom Ewall]If God knows that a given event will happen, say A and not B, is it possible for B not to happen? So far everyone participating here has said no, it's not possible for B to happen.

if he knows A will happen, then it will happen.
What you say here, is that God knew Eve would eat the fruit, and Eve did eat the fruit, and thats it. Fine, God knows what will happen and thats whats going to happen and "Free will" is a sham, a hoax, a lie.

Good to have that cleared out.
Quote:

A persons decision affects the outcome, God has given us a choice, we make those choices based on our faith or lack of faith. All things work together for good to them that love God.
God Bless & Happy Sabbath,
Will
Considering your previous sentence, do you mean to say that God has given us a choise, except in those cases where He has forseen what that choise will be, in which cases there is no choise but the one which has been forseen? Becourse if we at all times have a choise, then your previous answere can not be true that if A is forseen, then only A can happen, becourse if only A can happen, then there is no choise involved. If there is a choise, Eve could have choosen not to listen to the serpant, she could have choosen not to eat the fruit. But if God knew that Eve should eat the fruit, and becourse God knew it, it must happen, then Eve never had a choise.

I too wish this was simple but I can see no simple way to understand how I both could have a free choise while God at the same time would know exactly what I will not chose, at all time, forever.

Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Will] #85202
02/10/07 02:35 PM
02/10/07 02:35 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Originally Posted By: Will

Thats easy. God gives everyone a choice. Your decision will affect the outcome either good or bad.

If there was a genuine choice available (that affects the outcome) in the eyes of God, and not just in my imagination, then in the mind of God the outcome is not fixed, because there is a choice.
Right?

A choice is not a choice unless it is a choice that God has given, therefore it is a choice in the mind of God. Right?

Otherwise it is just an illusion. Right?

Re: The Contradiction [Re: John Boskovic] #85204
02/10/07 03:19 PM
02/10/07 03:19 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Does God have a choice?

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85205
02/10/07 04:01 PM
02/10/07 04:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: MM, you're not offering any help on what words you'd like me to choose. I'm labeling the elements of your arguments. It's not personal. I'm not labeling you in any way. If you present an argument which is unsound, how should I regard it? How about "unsound"?

MM: By using words like “unsound” or “illogical” to label elements of an argument you are expressing an opinion. Opinions are, by nature, personal. Labeling something “irrelevant” is also a personal opinion. Such opinions are inherently insulting. It smacks of – “Whoever shared such an illogical idea must be unsound.” Which, as you can imagine, does not encourage dialogue. Nor does it sound kind and loving.

TE: You're suggesting that I share what I think without labeling your arguments, but I have to respond to the argument in some way. Would you prefer it if I just said, "I disagree. This is why."?

MM: Sure. Or, “I’m not sure how it relates to the topic” or, “It doesn’t make sense to me” or, “I see what you’re saying, but this makes more sense to me”.

TE: Or would you prefer that I not respond to your arguments at all, and just share what I think as if I hadn't read what you wrote?

MM: Sometimes that works, too.

TE: I'm not sure what you're wanting MM. Please elaborate, and I'll try to go along with your wishes.

MM: By all means, do as you please. I am not telling you what to do. I shared my personal preferences, but you are free to do as you please. You asked me to share more details. I simply responded to your request. Again, I am not telling you how to post your thoughts and ideas. God forbid!

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85206
02/10/07 05:02 PM
02/10/07 05:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If God knows that a given event will happen, say A and not B, is it possible for B not to happen? So far everyone participating here has said no, it's not possible for B to happen.

MM: When you factor God into the equation there is no “B”. Since God knows the future like history there is only one truth, there is no “B”. There is no such thing as “B”. There is only what actually and factually happened. With God it is not what "will" or "might" happen, but it is what "has" happened.

TE: Let's apply this to the eating of the forbidden fruit. If God saw that Eve would eat the forbidden fruit, then, from the previous paragraph, it was not possible for her to not eat the forbidden fruit. Does this make sense to you?

MM: “If God saw” implies God did not see. Which does not make sense to me. God knows “the” end from “the” beginning – not “an” end from “a” beginning. God does not report what might happen. Instead, He reports what has happened. There is no question in God’s mind what will happen. He has already seen it happen.

TE: This seems sarcastic too. A lot of sarcasm lately. You'll probably deny it, but it's pretty easy to recognize.

MM: I do not understand why you are so convinced that I am being sarcastic. It saddens me. Nothing could be further from the truth. It indicates a lack of trust. Which also makes me sad. I wish you could believe me.

TE: Since you've brought up my appearing not to want to learn as a fellow Bible student, allow me to ask you a question. Have you learned anything from me? I've learned from you.

MM: Yes! Absolutely. The most important thing I have learned from studying with you is how Sister White viewed human probation, namely, that sinners and saints alike owe their temporal existence to the death of Jesus on the cross.

TV: I too wish this was simple but I can see no simple way to understand how I both could have a free choise while God at the same time would know exactly what I will not chose, at all time, forever.

MM: Thomas, God has already watched it play out, which is not the same as figuring it out before it happens. Again, He has already watched it happen. He simply reports what has happened, not what will happen. The fact God reports it to us before it happens is a matter of perspective. From God’s perspective it has already happened, but from our perspective it hasn’t happened yet.

JB: Does God have a choice?

MM: God cannot choose to not know the future like history. He is God, thus He cannot stop knowing the future like history. It’s not a problem, though. It’s why He can guarantee that “affliction shall not rise up the second time”. (Nahum 1:9) Such a promise is not hopeful thinking, or one of many possible outcomes. It’s the truth, a truth based on God’s divine ability to see "the" future ( as opposed to "a" future) with 20/20 hindsight.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85207
02/10/07 05:12 PM
02/10/07 05:12 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
TE: If God knows that a given event will happen, say A and not B, is it possible for B not to happen? So far everyone participating here has said no, it's not possible for B to happen.

MM: When you factor God into the equation there is no “B”. Since God knows the future like history there is only one truth, there is no “B”. There is no such thing as “B”. There is only what actually and factually happened. With God it is not what "will" or "might" happen, but it is what "has" happened.

TE: Let's apply this to the eating of the forbidden fruit. If God saw that Eve would eat the forbidden fruit, then, from the previous paragraph, it was not possible for her to not eat the forbidden fruit. Does this make sense to you?

MM: “If God saw” implies God did not see. Which does not make sense to me. God knows “the” end from “the” beginning – not “an” end from “a” beginning. God does not report what might happen. Instead, He reports what has happened. There is no question in God’s mind what will happen. He has already seen it happen.

TV: I too wish this was simple but I can see no simple way to understand how I both could have a free choise while God at the same time would know exactly what I will not chose, at all time, forever.

MM: Thomas, God has already watched it play out, which is not the same as figuring it out before it happens. Again, He has already watched it happen. He simply reports what has happened, not what will happen. The fact God reports it to us before it happens is a matter of perspective. From God’s perspective it has already happened, but from our perspective it hasn’t happened yet.
There is no choise, for God there is no future, only history, in other words, there is no choise. God did not create choise. It is now a clear view. One I reject. There is choise, there is a future. Even for God.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Contradiction [Re: vastergotland] #85215
02/10/07 08:19 PM
02/10/07 08:19 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Now that I know what this topic here is all about, I quoted the following post by Tom from the other topic with my own comments below the quoted section:

Quote:
That's just it.

A person can choose either A or B.

God knows beforehand what choice a person is going to make. In other words, God knows in advance whether or not a person is going to choose A or B.

Here's the problem. If God knows that the person will choose A, then he can't choose B. It's not that God forces Him not to choose B, it's just that it's not logically possible for him to choose B since B can't happen.

I think this would be easier to deal with if you take God out of the question. We can add Him in later. For now, please let me ask if the following makes sense.

If a person can do A or B, then it's not possible for the future to be such that only A can happen. Let's just try this for now. Would you agree to this? Does this make sense?

He can choose either A or B. Even though God knows what ultimate choice the person is going to make, the choice is still his' or her's to make. Freewill isn't affected at all. God doesn't decide the choice between A or B. The person decides the choice. God knows in advance what choice the person is going to freely decide to make. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!