HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85443
02/14/07 07:53 PM
02/14/07 07:53 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Therefore a definition of free will which depends upon both A and B being doable is logically inconsistent.

MM: Inconsistent? You mean because “B” is logically impossible?

Yes.

TE: You have sort of addressed this by suggesting a definition of free will which is logically consistent with your viewpoint that only A is possible.

MM: Please don’t misunderstand me. It’s not my viewpoint.

The definition of free will which you gave as your understanding of what free will is not your viewpoint? I don't understand that. You told me what you thought free will meant. I'm pointing out that what you think free will means (according to what you said) is consistent with the other things you have been saying. This is only your viewpoint that I was discussing when I made this comment.

I’m only going along with it until we can discuss pertinent details. If “B” is impossible I do not count it as an option, so far as free will is concerned. If both “A” and “B” are equally doable, then we have the ability and freedom to choose either one.

Well, this is the question. If God knows that A will happen and not B, is B doable?

TE: The definition that you suggested, that one has free will if one has the ability and freedom to do what one chooses, is consistent with all the above.

MM: I agree.

TE: The definition of free will that I used in the beginning of this topic, that free will means one can do either of A or B, is logically consistent with none of this way of thinking, especially D).

MM: I disagree. Hopefully we can discuss this in more detail. Let me know when you’re ready.

Go ahead. Explain how the definition of free will as being able to do A or B is logically consistent with the idea that A must happen and not B.

(snip)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85447
02/14/07 10:48 PM
02/14/07 10:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Well, this is the question. If God knows that A will happen and not B, is B doable?

MM: “B” was doable before the fact, but not after the fact. God’s ability to watch it happen before it happens does not limit what is doable before the fact. Watching a rerun and knowing what will happen before it happens does not limit what could have happened, that is, assuming other options were humanly possible.

Quote:
MM: Again, I believe we are born in slavery to sin, self, and Satan. We are not free to sin until we are free from sin. Sinning is our legacy and, unless we are born again and choose to abide in Jesus, sinning is our destiny.

A) Before we experience the miracle of rebirth and choose to abide in Jesus we “can do nothing but evil.” (3SM 196)

B) After we experience the miracle of rebirth and choose to abide in Jesus we are free to sin or not to sin.

C) Whether we sin or not depends on whether or not we continue to abide in Jesus.

D) God knows if we will abide in Jesus or not.

TE: The definition of free will that I used in the beginning of this topic, that free will means one can do either of A or B, is logically consistent with none of this way of thinking, especially D).

MM: I disagree. Hopefully we can discuss this in more detail. Let me know when you’re ready.

TE: Go ahead. Explain how the definition of free will as being able to do A or B is logically consistent with the idea that A must happen and not B.

MM: Again, if “A” must happen, then “B” is not an issue. The equation does not elicit the question. However, it is important that we understand why “A” must happen. What is the basis of our information?

TE: That is, even if you asked God Himself what would happen to a certain particle, He would say, "Well there's an x% chance it will do A, a y% chance it will do B" and so forth.

MM: I disagree. God is not simply a super-gifted statistician. He’s not just another great guesser. God is omniscient. He knows everything. Again, unconditional prophecy is positive proof. The Revelation is not a compilation of great guess work, of what God thinks is most likely going to happen in the future. No way. Instead, it accurately describes precisely what will happen. No doubt about it. There is no possibility that things will play out differently, not even in the least detail. From atoms to ants to mankind, God knows exactly how and what everything will do in the future.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85449
02/14/07 11:09 PM
02/14/07 11:09 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Well, this is the question. If God knows that A will happen and not B, is B doable?

MM: “B” was doable before the fact, but not after the fact.

Before what fact? God's seeing it? There is no before that! God has always known that A will happen, so there was never a time when B was doable.

God’s ability to watch it happen before it happens does not limit what is doable before the fact.

Again, what fact are you talking about? His watching it happen, right? There is no time before when this happened, hence, again, no time when B was doable.

Watching a rerun and knowing what will happen before it happens does not limit what could have happened, that is, assuming other options were humanly possible.

There's only one future to watch, and hence only one thing that could possibly have happened, which is precisely what God saw happening.

MM: Again, if “A” must happen, then “B” is not an issue. The equation does not elicit the question. However, it is important that we understand why “A” must happen. What is the basis of our information?

B is an issue because the whole question is if it's possible for one to do B. That's the question that started the whole thing! If we define free will as the ability to do A or B, then B is most assuredly an issue.

You might not have noticed this, by *my* point (and I'm the one who started the topic!) is in regards to free will, not God's foreknowledge (at least, not directly; it *is* directly concerned with free will).

Now if you wish to use a definition of free will where B is not an issue, then, OK, you can say B is not an issue. But if you have a definition of free will which involves B, then B is an issue!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85450
02/14/07 11:17 PM
02/14/07 11:17 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: That is, even if you asked God Himself what would happen to a certain particle, He would say, "Well there's an x% chance it will do A, a y% chance it will do B" and so forth.

MM: I disagree. God is not simply a super-gifted statistician. He’s not just another great guesser. God is omniscient. He knows everything. Again, unconditional prophecy is positive proof. The Revelation is not a compilation of great guess work, of what God thinks is most likely going to happen in the future. No way. Instead, it accurately describes precisely what will happen. No doubt about it. There is no possibility that things will play out differently, not even in the least detail. From atoms to ants to mankind, God knows exactly how and what everything will do in the future.

You're free to disagree with quantum physics, but I was just making a comment about the physics. The part you are commenting on was explaining that the theory of quantum physics is statistical not because of a lack of knowledge (if we knew more, we could say where the particles go; we use statistics because we don't understand the underlying mechanism) but because of the essential nature of the particles themselves; that is, they act statistically. That's the theory.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85451
02/14/07 11:21 PM
02/14/07 11:21 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Isnt the idea about quantum particles that you can either know where they are or where they are going but that it is physically impossible to know both of these at the same time?

Assuming I remember this correctly, can God know something that is not knowable?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85453
02/14/07 11:49 PM
02/14/07 11:49 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
JB: You cannot know that he knows it like that; but you can know that he does not know it like that, as I have plainly shown.

MM: I disagree. Unconditional prophecy is evidence God knows the future like a rerun. Otherwise, He would be able to foretell it.

Prophecy is not evidence that he knows it like that.
Quote:
JB: Esau and Cyrus have never been the holders of such knowledge. He who has such knowledge (as you profess) is God. The holder of such knowledge can never perform the judiciary activity that such knowledge tells him he has done; his knowledge incapacitates him to ever accomplish the judiciary activity.

MM: Both men knew of the prophecies concerning themselves. Such knowledge did not prevent from fulfilling their respective prophecies.

Are you saying that the way we know the future, is the way God knows the future?
Quote:
JB: No, God does not hope “things” will turn out right. “Things” do not have anything to do with right. His hope is not for “things”. But his hope is for those he created in his own image, that they may have faith and render righteous judgment.

MM: Nice twist. But I still disagree. God does not doubt or wonder or question if we will be like Jesus – He already knows if we will or not.

There is no twist. All the way along we are talking about salvation and not things.

But you MM, indeed have a twist. In your mind it seems that hope translates to doubt since you said: "God does not doubt...or wonder or question". Those are not activities of hope. Faith is the opposite of doubt, and hope is the opposite of despair. You seem to think that hope and doubt are harmonious and faith and despair go together. To think that doubt, wonder, and question are the activities of hope is indeed a twist.

• Rom 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
• Rom 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

I hope you consider the scriptures.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85454
02/15/07 12:09 AM
02/15/07 12:09 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I wouldn't say that God is limited by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, but that God chose to create things in this way. That is, God chose to create things so that they are spontaneous and non-fixed.

I might have muddied up the issue by mixing Heisenberg with the double-slit. I'll stick to Heisenberg this time, and leave probability functions for another time.

For those not familiar with it, here's a very rough summary: The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that the more accurately you know an object's position, the less accurately you will know its velocity (and vice versa). IOW, the more you know about where something is, the less you know about where it's going. For "big" and "slow" things, it doesn't really matter. But for things about the size and speed of an electron, it matters a lot.

Bro Tom, here's my simple Yes/No question, to find out your thoughts on God's omniscience (not even touching foreknowledge yet). Given a specific electron, does God know exactly (taking the physics definition that measurement error can be arbitrarily small) both its velocity and position?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Contradiction [Re: asygo] #85456
02/15/07 01:03 AM
02/15/07 01:03 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I would say yes, God can know both, because His knowledge is not bound by being able to observe things.

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle involves our limitations based on observing things. If we could know a particles velocity (or position) without observing it, then we would be free to observe it's other property without a problem. (by problem, I mean, without violating the Heisenberg uncertainty principle).

Interesting question! I had to think a bit about that one.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85458
02/15/07 01:09 AM
02/15/07 01:09 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'll remark a bit further. The reason for the Heisenberg principle is that you cannot observe an object's behavior without changing it. In the case of an electron, you need to apply energy in some way to see where it is (in the form of light, for example), or how fast its going, which impacts its position and velocity. So while you're observing one thing, you're impacting the other.

In the case of big objects, as you pointed out, the impact is minimal. (Light hitting us doesn't impact our velocity or position much, like it would for an electron). However, it's interesting to note that the Heisenberg uncertainty principle has had implications in the social sciences. (People change their behavior when you observe them).

Have you heard of Heisenbugs, Arthur?

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85459
02/15/07 01:12 AM
02/15/07 01:12 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
JB: You cannot know that he knows it like that; but you can know that he does not know it like that, as I have plainly shown.

MM: I disagree. Unconditional prophecy is evidence God knows the future like a rerun. Otherwise, He would be able to foretell it.

JB:Prophecy is not evidence that he knows it like that.

Quote:
10Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

11Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it. (Isa. 46:10, 11)

"I have purposed it, I will also do it." This is an explanation of how God can know what's going to happen in the future.

Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!