HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22
Re: The Contradiction [Re: vastergotland] #85460
02/15/07 01:17 AM
02/15/07 01:17 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Assuming I remember this correctly, can God know something that is not knowable?

Bro Thomas,

You've touched on a fundamental question. Is the universe such that there are some aspects of it of which God is ignorant? IOW, is there such as thing that is not knowable to God?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Contradiction [Re: asygo] #85462
02/15/07 01:49 AM
02/15/07 01:49 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You've touched on a fundamental question. Is the universe such that there are some aspects of it of which God is ignorant? IOW, is there such as thing that is not knowable to God?

I suppose it depends upon how you define "knowable". This is one of the questions that comes up regarding the open view of the future. I maintain that God knows the future perfectly, but the future is open, not fixed. Therefore God knows it as open, meaning that He knows every possible thing that can happen. I would say this is knowing. There are some who say "No, no. If God does not know exactly what will happen, that means He's not omniscient." But I think this is just a matter of misunderstanding the nature of the future.

This example could be applied to other areas. (i.e., it depends on how one defines "knowable").

Anyway, my answer would be no, there's nothing of which God is ignorant.

Another interesting and related question is if it's possible for God to learn.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85468
02/15/07 07:31 AM
02/15/07 07:31 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Can you learn something if you already know everything?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85472
02/15/07 04:21 PM
02/15/07 04:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: B is an issue because the whole question is if it's possible for one to do B. That's the question that started the whole thing! If we define free will as the ability to do A or B, then B is most assuredly an issue.

TE: You might not have noticed this, by *my* point (and I'm the one who started the topic!) is in regards to free will, not God's foreknowledge (at least, not directly; it *is* directly concerned with free will).

TE: Well, this is the question. If God knows that A will happen and not B, is B doable?

MM: “B” was doable before the fact, but not after the fact.

TE: Before what fact?

MM: Before the person did it.

TE: God's seeing it?

MM: No. Before the person did it.

TE: There is no before that!

MM: From our perspective there is.

TE: God has always known that A will happen …

MM: True. But why? I believe it’s because God “inhabits eternity”. In other words, He can look back on the future like watching a rerun. From His perspective it has already happened. Thus, perfect foreknowledge is based on perfect hindsight, which is more than saying God is pretty good at estimating what might happen in the future, and getting it right most of the time. By the way, the view you have been postulating disallows God knowing with absolute certainty that “A” will happen. Or, did I misunderstand it?

TE: … so there was never a time when B was doable.

MM: How can you be so sure? Does the view you espouse allow you to believe God knows the future with absolute certainty?

………………………..

TE: That is, even if you asked God Himself what would happen to a certain particle, He would say, "Well there's an x% chance it will do A, a y% chance it will do B" and so forth.

MM: I disagree. God is not simply a super-gifted statistician. He’s not just another great guesser. God is omniscient. He knows everything. Again, unconditional prophecy is positive proof. The Revelation is not a compilation of great guess work, of what God thinks is most likely going to happen in the future. No way. Instead, it accurately describes precisely what will happen. No doubt about it. There is no possibility that things will play out differently, not even in the least detail. From atoms to ants to mankind, God knows exactly how and what everything will do in the future.

TE: You're free to disagree with quantum physics, but I was just making a comment about the physics.

MM: The part I am disagreeing with is – “if you asked God Himself what would happen”. You brought God into the picture in way that made it seem to me you think not even God can know the future behavior of “particles” with absolute certainty. By “absolute certainty” I mean there is no doubt in His mind what will happen, that is, He knows exactly, precisely what will happen. He doesn’t have to guess or wonder which possible outcome is most likely to occur. Do you agree?

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85473
02/15/07 04:26 PM
02/15/07 04:26 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thomas:Can you learn something if you already know everything?

Tom:Possibly, if new things can be learned in the future.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85474
02/15/07 04:32 PM
02/15/07 04:32 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the particles, God does know the behavior of the particles with absolute certainty; they will act exactly as designed. With probability x, they will do A; with probability y, they will do B, and so forth. That's how they were made! (That's the theory, at any rate).

Regarding the other points, it appears that you are suggesting that there whether A or B is possible depends upon one's perspective. From our perspective, either is possible, because we are ignorant. From God's perspective, only A is possible, because He really knows what will happen (thanks to His T.V. re-run ability).

So according to this idea, isn't it clear that B is not really doable? Ignorant beings can *think* it's doable, because of their ignorance, but they're wrong. God, who is not ignorant, knows the truth, which is that B is not doable.

Merely thinking a thing is doable doesn't make it doable. That seems to be what you're suggesting.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85475
02/15/07 04:48 PM
02/15/07 04:48 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Thomas:Can you learn something if you already know everything?

Tom:Possibly, if new things can be learned in the future.
This requires a less than absolute definition of "everything".

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85476
02/15/07 04:57 PM
02/15/07 04:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
JB: Prophecy is not evidence that [God] knows [the future] like [a rerun].

MM: On this we disagree.

JB: Are you saying that the way we know the future, is the way God knows the future?

MM: Not at all. The reason Esau and Cyrus knew their future is because God revealed it. That’s how they knew what would happen.

JB: In your mind it seems that hope translates to doubt since you said: "God does not doubt...or wonder or question". Those are not activities of hope. Faith is the opposite of doubt, and hope is the opposite of despair. You seem to think that hope and doubt are harmonious and faith and despair go together. To think that doubt, wonder, and question are the activities of hope is indeed a twist.

MM: Another nice twist - a double twist. But it doesn’t represent what I believe. The word “hope” has many meanings. Hopefully we can agree on this. Sometimes “hope” implies knowing it will eventually happen. (A) “I hope it happens sooner than later.” But sometimes “hope” implies not knowing whether it will happen at all. (B) “I hope it happens.” Neither “A” nor “B” applies to God.

…………………………….

TE: "I have purposed it, I will also do it." This is an explanation of how God can know what's going to happen in the future.

MM: This only applies to God’s future behavior. He is simply saying what He will do. It doesn’t address what FMAs will do.

TE: [A] Therefore God knows [the future] as open, meaning that He knows every possible thing that can happen. I would say this is knowing. [B] Anyway, my answer would be no, there's nothing of which God is ignorant.

MM: “A” and “B” above are not compatible. According to this theory God doesn’t know ahead of time exactly what will happen. Knowing a zillion possible outcomes only means God is the ultimate smartest guesser.

…………………………

TE: Another interesting and related question is if it's possible for God to learn.

TV: Can you learn something if you already know everything?

MM: There isn’t anything God doesn’t know. Thus, He cannot learn something He doesn’t already know.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85477
02/15/07 05:41 PM
02/15/07 05:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Regarding the particles, God does know the behavior of the particles with absolute certainty; they will act exactly as designed. With probability x, they will do A; with probability y, they will do B, and so forth. That's how they were made! (That's the theory, at any rate).

MM: Thank you for clarifying it.

TE: Regarding the other points, it appears that you are suggesting that there whether A or B is possible depends upon one's perspective. From our perspective, either is possible, because we are ignorant. From God's perspective, only A is possible, because He really knows what will happen (thanks to His T.V. re-run ability).

MM: Correct.

TE: So according to this idea, isn't it clear that B is not really doable? Ignorant beings can *think* it's doable, because of their ignorance, but they're wrong. God, who is not ignorant, knows the truth, which is that B is not doable. Merely thinking a thing is doable doesn't make it doable. That seems to be what you're suggesting.

MM: God knows “B” will not happen simply because from His perspective it didn’t happen. But from our perspective it hasn’t happened yet, so our options are many, not in theory, but in reality. God’s knowledge of it has nothing to do with us, unless, of course, He tells us ahead of time. But even then our options are many. Just because God knows what we will do, it doesn’t mean our options are only one. We still have to choose, out of many options, to do the one God knows we will do.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85480
02/15/07 07:05 PM
02/15/07 07:05 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM: God knows “B” will not happen simply because from His perspective it didn’t happen. But from our perspective it hasn’t happened yet, so our options are many, not in theory, but in reality. God’s knowledge of it has nothing to do with us, unless, of course, He tells us ahead of time. But even then our options are many. Just because God knows what we will do, it doesn’t mean our options are only one. We still have to choose, out of many options, to do the one God knows we will do.

Does this make sense to anyone besides MM? Especially I'm interested if anyone thinks the following statement makes sense, "But from our perspective it hasn’t happened yet, so our options are many, not in theory, but in reality."

(To me it seems obvious that God's perspective accurately reflects reality, and if we think something differently than God does -- e.g. we can do B, whereas it is God's opinion that we can't -- then God is simply right and we're wrong.)

Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!