HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: vastergotland] #85518
02/16/07 05:03 PM
02/16/07 05:03 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: If God knows it will go left, is it possible for it to go right? That's the question. "Can't" means "not possible" as I'm using it.

MM: I still like the word “will not” better than “cannot”. So, again, since God knows it will go left, it will not go right.

It is not possible for it to go right. That's the point.

TE: Whether we know what will happen isn't important to this discussion, is it?

MM: To me it is.

You're discussing something else then. Unless what we know somehow affects what happens.

TE: (By the way, we do know things about the future which are not things which God has told us. That is, God's revelation to us is not our only source of knowledge about the future. But this is a side issue.)

MM: Regarding inanimate things, yes. But regarding FMAs, no.

I don't know what you're saying here. What I'm pointing out is that we make deductions about the future which have nothing to do with what God has revealed. For example, if I say something, I know my wife will respond in a certain way.

………………..

TV: But at the same time you are also saying that since God knows that the raft will go left, the rafter *will* not choose to go right? Is that right? So was there ever a possibility that the raft would go right? Not if it could go, because it obviously *can*, be if it would go?

MM: God knows the rafter will go right simply because, from His hindsight perspective, that is exactly what happened. But from the rafters perspective it hasn’t happened yet, so his options are left or right, not in theory, but in reality.

This doesn't make sense. He cannot in reality go left. His perspective is simply wrong. God's perspective is right.

God’s knowledge of it has nothing to do with it, unless, of course, He tells him ahead of time. But even then his options are two. Just because God knows what he will do, it doesn’t mean the rafter only has one option. He still has to choose, from both options, to do the one God knows the rafter will do.

He obviously can't actually do other than the option which God has seen he will do. So he, in reality, only has one option.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Tom] #85519
02/16/07 05:11 PM
02/16/07 05:11 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, Tom, I responded and agreed to your scenario so far, therefore, what's next?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Daryl] #85524
02/16/07 06:42 PM
02/16/07 06:42 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
We can get to the argument I had in mind from the beginning.

1)If God knows that A will happen, then A will happen.
2)If only A can happen, then B cannot happen.
3)Therefore we do not have free will, if free will is defined as our having the ability to do either of A or B.

As pointed out in the other thread, if we defined free will differently, for example, as the ability to do that which one wishes to do, it is possible to affirm that God knows that A will happen, and that we have free will.

The reason for this thread was that I started out with 2) and 3) on the other thread, and was unable to get agreement on that, even though it's self evident. Now one may wish to discuss whether God's foreknowledge of an event necessitates its occurring, but that can be no doubt that if only A can happen (for whatever reason), then a person can do nothing to bring about B.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Tom] #85566
02/18/07 04:32 PM
02/18/07 04:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If God knows it will go left, is it possible for it to go right? That's the question. "Can't" means "not possible" as I'm using it.

MM: I still like the word “will not” better than “cannot”. So, again, since God knows it will go left, it will not go right.

TE: It is not possible for it to go right. That's the point.

MM: Neither do I like the word “possible”. It implies it lacks the ability or freedom to choose.

………………………

TE: You're discussing something else then. Unless what we know somehow affects what happens.

MM: If we know it because God told us then it does matter. It matters a lot.

………………………….

TE: (By the way, we do know things about the future which are not things which God has told us. That is, God's revelation to us is not our only source of knowledge about the future. But this is a side issue.)

TE: I don't know what you're saying here. What I'm pointing out is that we make deductions about the future which have nothing to do with what God has revealed. For example, if I say something, I know my wife will respond in a certain way.

MM: There is no comparison between what you think might happen and what God knows has happened.

………………..

TV: But at the same time you are also saying that since God knows that the raft will go left, the rafter *will* not choose to go right? Is that right? So was there ever a possibility that the raft would go right? Not if it could go, because it obviously *can*, be if it would go?

MM: God knows the rafter will go right simply because, from His hindsight perspective, that is exactly what happened. But from the rafters perspective it hasn’t happened yet, so his options are left or right, not in theory, but in reality.

TE: This doesn't make sense. He cannot in reality go left. His perspective is simply wrong. God's perspective is right.

MM: It depends on if God told the rafter in advance which way he will go. True, he will not in reality “go” left. Not because he lacks the ability or freedom do so, but because in obedience to God he chooses to go right. Nevertheless, his “options” are left or right.

…………………………….

MM: God’s knowledge of it has nothing to do with it, unless, of course, He tells him ahead of time. But even then his options are two. Just because God knows what he will do, it doesn’t mean the rafter only has one option. He still has to choose, from both options, to do the one God knows the rafter will do.

TE: He obviously can't actually do other than the option which God has seen he will do. So he, in reality, only has one option.

MM: Again, it depends on if God tells the rafter in advance which direction he will go. Even if God tells him he still has the option to not go that way. But he will not choose the other option because he loves God.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85570
02/18/07 05:55 PM
02/18/07 05:55 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

TE: This doesn't make sense. He cannot in reality go left. His perspective is simply wrong. God's perspective is right.

MM: It depends on if God told the rafter in advance which way he will go. True, he will not in reality “go” left. Not because he lacks the ability or freedom do so, but because in obedience to God he chooses to go right. Nevertheless, his “options” are left or right.
And if he is a rebell at heart, who would make a point out of going left if he had any inkling of a hunch that God wanted or knew that he would go right? Will he still go right in obedience to God even if his deepest desire is to do the oppostie of whatever God is involved in?

Or clearer yet, would take the raft to shore and start running upstream on the beach just because Gods option included one of the streams down..

Last edited by västergötland; 02/18/07 05:57 PM.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: vastergotland] #85580
02/18/07 09:08 PM
02/18/07 09:08 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

TE: It is not possible for it to go right. That's the point.

MM: Neither do I like the word “possible”. It implies it lacks the ability or freedom to choose.

You can't choose to do something which won't happen, if choose means the freedom or ability to actually do the thing chosen.

………………………

TE: You're discussing something else then. Unless what we know somehow affects what happens.

MM: If we know it because God told us then it does matter. It matters a lot.

Not do any argument I've been making, it doesn't. My argument has been very simple.

1.If God knows that A will happen, then A will happen, and not B.
2.If A will happen, then we cannot (or will not, whatever) do B.
3.Therefore "free will," under this scenario, cannot be logically defined as the ability to do B.

Now whether or not we know A or B will happen, doesn't change anything. The important point is that we do not have the ability to do B, because it is not in our power to bring about something which will not or cannot happen. What we know about A or B doesn't alter our ability to do B.

………………………….

TE: I don't know what you're saying here. What I'm pointing out is that we make deductions about the future which have nothing to do with what God has revealed. For example, if I say something, I know my wife will respond in a certain way.

MM: There is no comparison between what you think might happen and what God knows has happened.

I was pointing out your statement was wrong, that we cannot know anything about the future unless God reveals it to us.

………………..

MM: It depends on if God told the rafter in advance which way he will go.

No, it doesn't. Regardless of what God did or did not tell him, if his perspective is that the raft can go left, it's wrong if God's perspective is that the raft can only go right. God's perspective is right.

True, he will not in reality “go” left. Not because he lacks the ability or freedom do so, but because in obedience to God he chooses to go right. Nevertheless, his “options” are left or right.

"Options" in quotes are a good idea, since he only has one option, and the freedom or ability to do one thing, which is precisely what God has foreseen, of course. He can't possibly do something different than what God has foreseen, right?

…………………………….

MM: God’s knowledge of it has nothing to do with it, unless, of course, He tells him ahead of time. But even then his options are two. Just because God knows what he will do, it doesn’t mean the rafter only has one option. He still has to choose, from both options, to do the one God knows the rafter will do.

TE: He obviously can't actually do other than the option which God has seen he will do. So he, in reality, only has one option.

MM: Again, it depends on if God tells the rafter in advance which direction he will go. Even if God tells him he still has the option to not go that way. But he will not choose the other option because he loves God.

It doesn't depend upon what God says at all.

I'd be really curious if anyone agree with this idea of yours as well as the other one. Did anyone ever answer that?

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Tom] #85583
02/18/07 11:13 PM
02/18/07 11:13 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I wonder what God thinks about this discussion.

If I were God, I wouldn't be very impressed.

The irony about this though is that God knew beforehand that we would be having this discussion here.

Daryl smile

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Daryl] #85590
02/18/07 11:39 PM
02/18/07 11:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, like Daryl, I am tempted to give up. You believe God knows all of the possible outcomes of any given scenario. You do not believe God knows exactly how it will play out. I believe He does.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85594
02/19/07 12:11 AM
02/19/07 12:11 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I've only been wanting to point out one thing, which I think is very easy to see. That is, if we believe the future is such that only one thing can/will happen (A, not B), then our definition of free will should reflect this fact.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Tom] #85597
02/19/07 01:25 AM
02/19/07 01:25 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
God's foreknowledge doesn't affect any person's freedom of choice.

God's foreknowledge of the choice any person will make doesn't affect any person's freedom of choice.

Daryl smile

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!