HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Daryl] #85746
02/25/07 07:38 AM
02/25/07 07:38 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Once I have chosen A, I then can't choose to do B in the same space and time, as I have already made my choice.

God, in His foreknowledge, sees what choice I will make, as if I had already chosen it.

I'm not sure which post you're responding to, but choosing to do A or B isn't the same as doing A or B. You can choose to do A, change your mind, and do B. But this is a minor point.

Given that it's possible that you can do either A or B, then wouldn't God have seen a future with you doing choice A and a future with you doing choice B? That is, doesn't He know what both possibilities would look like?

Anyway, let's walk before running. Do we agree that if you can only do A, then you can't do B? If so, then our definition of free will should agree with this. Do you agree? (Please note that the questions in this paragraph have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with God's foreknowledge.)

If I'm not mistaken, you've agreed to this in the past. So let's assume it's agreed that if you cannot do B, then you cannot do B, and a definition of free will should agree with the fact that you cannot do B.

The question that comes up is, does the fact that God knows you will do A mean that you will do A? That is, is it possible for God to know that you will do A (say an hour before A will occur) and for you to actually do B? Isn't the answer to this question obviously "no"?

Now you will probably want to point out the irrelevant fact that just because God knows you will do A doesn't force you to do B, which is true, but not relevant. The relevant fact is that you cannot/will not do B. The fact that there isn't a direct casual relationship between what God knows and what you do isn't important to this point. What is important is that you cannot/will not do B. Because you cannot/will not do B, it follows that our definition of free will should reflect this.

That is, simply put, we should have a definition of free will (if we wish to be logically consistent) that incorporates the idea that if B is certain to occur, then we can do nothing to bring B about.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Tom] #85748
02/25/07 03:00 PM
02/25/07 03:00 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The definition of freewill is the freedom of choice to do either A or B.

God's knowing in advance what choice a person will make before that person has even made that choice doesn't affect the above definition of freewill.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Tom] #85750
02/25/07 03:33 PM
02/25/07 03:33 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
No, you missed the point.

No I did not miss the point, but you've certainly missed mine.

but if the future is such that it is comprised of only actions are determined (i.e. fixed; e.g. you will certainly eat macaroni and cheese), as opposed to possibilities (you might eat okra),

You said this same thing a different way in a previous post of yours:
 Quote:
What does affect our free will is what the future is like.
So I ask you, if our choices does not affect what the future is like, and it's really the future that affects our choices and our free will, if the future really is (as you say) fixed and predetermined, then answer this:
 Quote:
Who or what has fixed or determined the future events?
You've already stated that our choices do not affect the future, but that the future affects our choices. So since our choices have no affect on the future, what or who does/has affected the future?

And if it is truly as you describe (and I do not agree), then the very fact that there is only one future where our "choices" are fixed and determined, then we have choice at all!!! Freedom of choice then is a myth ... something that doesn't (and never) really exist.

Furthermore, if each of our sins are predetermined (i.e. fixed) as you are telling us, Tom, then we are not responsible for our sin and cannot be held responsible. For how could we have done anything but to commit those sins since they are in our future, fixed and determined by something or someone other than ourselves, because we did not sin because of our own choices, but because those sins are in our future, fixed and determined before the thought ever entered our mind, yes, even before we were born.

From your commentary, Tom, you seem to be saying that we are not fixing our future, and neither is God. So, who or what fixed and determined our future such that our choices are limited/affected?

then free will should be defined not as your being able to eat macaroni and cheese or okra (you can't eat the okra), but in some other way (e.g.; free will is your being able to do that which you please, in this case, eat the macaroni and cheese).

The flaw in your argument here is in saying that I can't eat the okra. I can eat the okra, and I have before. But my personal taste is that I do not enjoy okra and rather dislike it, and because of that personal preference (not because of some cosmic dictator), my choice is to eat the macaroni and cheese instead of the okra.

So yes, free will is very accurately defined as my being able to eat either the mac-and-cheese or the okra. Both definitions work, both the one you proposed (free to do that which I please) and the one you rejected (being able to each mac-and-cheese or okra), for both definitions are saying the very same thing.

And, yes, a cosmic dictator: for you say that we don't have the choice but that our so-called "choices" have been predetermined by what the future is like, though you have not yet said who or what you believe to be responsible for the fixing of the future.

So, Tom, if not our choices (i.e. our free will), who or what has determined/fixed our future?

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Daryl] #85753
02/25/07 04:16 PM
02/25/07 04:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Den Borg, I'm not sure you're pointing the finger at the right person. Tom does not believe the future is fixed or predetermined. He is arguing against it. Nobody on this thread believes it. But Tom has been laboring to prove the view I have embraced teaches it.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85754
02/25/07 04:32 PM
02/25/07 04:32 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Den Borg, I'm not sure you're pointing the finger at the right person. Tom does not believe the future is fixed or predetermined. He is arguing against it. Nobody on this thread believes it. But Tom has been laboring to prove the view I have embraced teaches it.

Please tell us MM and Daryl, how it is that you do not see the future as fixed or predetermined when according to you it is already history? And remember, it is not how we see it that counts, but how God sees it is what counts.

By the way for, for Den Borg, I too do not hold the future (in the matter of individual salvation) to be like history, nor fixed, nor predetermined, but open.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: John Boskovic] #85757
02/25/07 05:01 PM
02/25/07 05:01 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
In the case of the Christ's foreknowledge of Judas Iscariot's choice in betraying Christ, how open is open?

Remember that even way back in the Old Testament in Psalm 41:9 it was prophesied that Christ would be betrayed by one of His own disciples.

Quote:

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

Psalm 41:9
Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

What are your thoughts on this?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Tom] #85759
02/25/07 05:14 PM
02/25/07 05:14 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
choosing to do A or B isn't the same as doing A or B. You can choose to do A, change your mind, and do B. But this is a minor point.

True, making the decision is a different thing than actually carrying out that decision, so what's your point? Even in your A-B example above, the person did ultimately chose to do B. It was not a case of deciding to do A but doing B contrary to the choice; for you said the person changed their mind, IOW, he made a choice to do B and then did B.

Do we agree that if you can only do A, then you can't do B? If so, then our definition of free will should agree with this. Do you agree?

Please explain to us that if "you can only do A", why then must the definition of free will have anything to do with this?!!

If you have no choice in the matter and MUST do A, then there is no free-will aspect to the matter whatsoever. It is not a matter of choice, because you MUST do A.

So, why must the definition of "free will" agree with anything that is unrelated and irrelevant to itself? Must the definition of "dog" include what a "cat" is? No, of course not! So why do you assert that the definition of free will must agree with something that has absolutely nothing to do with free will or freedom of choice?!

So let's assume it's agreed that if you cannot do B, then you cannot do B, and a definition of free will should agree with the fact that you cannot do B.

With all due respect, this is like saying: "The towel is wet, therefore that means the towel is wet. Therefore, since the towel is wet, it is wet and not dry. This means the towel is wet and the definition of "greasy" must agree with this."

Why do you say, "if you cannot do B, then you cannot do B"? Has anyone suggested that if you cannot do B then you could somehow do B when you cannot?!

And again, I ask you, if you can only do A and cannot do B, then why do you want this to affect the definition of "free will" or "freedom of choice"? I ask this because if you MUST do A and CANNOT do B, then free will has nothing to do with this, and therefore also has nothing to do with the definition of "free will".

The question that comes up is, does the fact that God knows you will do A mean that you will do A? That is, is it possible for God to know that you will do A (say an hour before A will occur) and for you to actually do B? Isn't the answer to this question obviously "no"?

Here above, you again assert that God's foreknowledge dictates what our actions will be, though you cannot see that this is exactly what you are saying.

Now you will probably want to point out the irrelevant fact that just because God knows you will do A doesn't force you to do B, which is true, but not relevant. The relevant fact is that you cannot/will not do B.

The error in your logic here is in saying that you cannot do B. Again, if you truly "cannot" do B, then choice has not entered into the scenario, and since it is not a matter of choice, you did not "choose" to do A because you were not given the choice.

If you truly have the freedom to choose between A and B, then the fact that the future is known such that it is known you will do A and not B, does not mean that you cannot do B, it only means that you chose not to do B.

Again, the future facts does not affect your free will (as you have previously claimed), but rather the future facts are affected by the choices we make in exercising our free will.

In other words, the cause-effect relationship between our choices and what the future looks like in terms of what has or will happen, is that our choices are the cause, and the future is the effect. For some reason, Tom, you've turned this all around backwards.

Consider this: In the future, a towel is wet because it is in a tub of water, put there by you.

You, Tom, are telling us that you did not chose to put the towel into the tub of water, but that you were caused to have put the towel into the water because that is what the future looked like.

We are telling you that the future is what it is because you chose to put the towel into the tub of water, not that (as you claim) you did it because of what the future looks like.

You are telling us that the future caused your choices because the future is what the future is. That is wrong, but for the sake of argument, please tell us, what caused the future to be what it is? If not our choices, then what made the future look as it does?

Because you cannot/will not do B, it follows that our definition of free will should reflect this.

Why must something that has absolutely nothing to do with "free will" be used to define "free will". That is like saying, "Because a tree is not a dog, then the definition of dog must reflect this."

That is, simply put, we should have a definition of free will (if we wish to be logically consistent) that incorporates the idea that if B is certain to occur, then we can do nothing to bring B about.

If B is certain to occur, you must ask yourself "why" is it certain to occur. If B occurrs, then there is a cause that makes that happen. What is that cause? Unless you can determine that that cause is not "us", then you cannot claim (as you have done above) that we can do nothing to bring B about.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85760
02/25/07 05:45 PM
02/25/07 05:45 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Thanks for the clarification, MM. I wasn't pointing fingers, but simply responding to the points and arguments made by Tom, which certainly seemed to be his own thoughts and arguments.

Tom: Is this true, that you've been arguing for a position that you yourself do not believe? If so, why didn't you simply tell me that you were playing the devil's advocate instead of carrying on as if you were tring to convince us that free will doesn't exist?

I perceived someone (Tom) in need of better understanding, and tried to help in that regard, but now I am told that Tom doesn't even believe what he was arguing for? If this is true, then I feel I've wasted my time, in that the need I perceived was not a need at all. I believe that these types of discussions are important so that people have a correct understanding of the nature of God and the nature of mankind and what love and free will are. But it seems that everyone here already understands all this, and I could have instead worked on preparing a Bible study, or a sermon, or something that would have truly met someone's need.

Perhaps the following disclaimer should have been included in the opening post of this thread to prevent this kind of misunderstanding:
 Quote:
The views expressed here and argued by myself (Tom) are not the beliefs that I hold to, and are not necesarily held by any participant of this thread. Please feel free to join in on this mock debate if you have the time and the inclination.

The choice is yours .... well, not really ... because the future is what the future is, and consequently, although you can choose to do A, you are unable to choose to do B. \:\)

A little tounge-in-cheek there. Well, everyone ... have fun with this little debate.

And although the future has me pegged as doing A) participating further in this fun little discussion, I am actually going to excercise my free will and instead choose to do B) prepare a sermon, clean the bird cages, and some other things.

I may decide to rejoin this thread again later as time affords. If not, then you'll likely see me on other threads. We'll see what the future holds. ;\)

I hope you all have a great and God-filled weekend.

God bless!

Last edited by DenBorg; 02/25/07 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Daryl] #85761
02/25/07 06:16 PM
02/25/07 06:16 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
In the case of the Christ's foreknowledge of Judas Iscariot's choice in betraying Christ, how open is open?

Remember that even way back in the Old Testament in Psalm 41:9 it was prophesied that Christ would be betrayed by one of His own disciples.

Quote:

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

Psalm 41:9
Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

What are your thoughts on this?

Good though-provoking question, Daryl. I would say that even in this case, as in all other cases, open is just as open as it is all other times.

In other words, just because God not only foreknew (but not caused) but also wrote down the prophecy as it would unfold in the future, it was still up to Judas to decide what he would and would not do.

Just as God's foreknowledge did not cause Judas to do what he did, neither did God's writing it down cause Judas to do as he did. If Judas had not betrayed Christ, then any prophetical texts about Judas would have read differently.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: John Boskovic] #85763
02/25/07 06:30 PM
02/25/07 06:30 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
 Originally Posted By: John Boskovic
Please tell us MM and Daryl, how it is that you do not see the future as fixed or predetermined when according to you it is already history?

John, for the benefit of all reading this, particularly the late-comers such as I, could you post links that refer us to the comments you are referring to when you say that Daryl and MM see the future as "already history"?

That would help us determine whether they in fact gave such an indication about it already being history versus a misunderstanding of what was said.

All to often, disagreements arise not from there being a difference of opinion, but simply from a misunderstanding of each respective opinion. IOW, each party is actually in agreement with each other on a particular issue, but an argument arises from a misunderstanding of each person's viewpoint rather than from not seeing things eye-to-eye.

Some links to refer us to posts that has led you to believe that Daryl and MM believe that the future is already history would be helpful for the rest of us.

Thanks,

Den

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!