HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: DenBorg] #85764
02/25/07 07:04 PM
02/25/07 07:04 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The future obviously isn't already history to those of us who live in the present with the past to look at in the historical sense and the future to look at in the biblical and prophetical sense, however, even though God communicates to us within time, He, who knows and sees the future as if it had already happened, isn't confined within time. This is why He knew that Judas would choose to betray Him and Peter would choose to deny Him even with Peter reacting to such a repulsive thought even to the point of saying that he would never choose to do such a repulsive thing as to deny his Lord.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Daryl] #85765
02/25/07 07:40 PM
02/25/07 07:40 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
He, who knows and sees the future as if it had already happened, isn't confined within time. This is why He knew that Judas would choose to betray Him and Peter would choose to deny Him even with Peter reacting to such a repulsive thought even to the point of saying that he would never choose to do such a repulsive thing as to deny his Lord.

What is meant by being confined by time? The thought that God is not confined by time, does that mean God travels through time into the future so that He learns what will happen by actually experiencing/witnessing those events as they happen? Then He travels back to now and can then prophecy the future because He has literally been there? If this is the case, is there a such thing as "now", since God could travel to any part of time, what would differentiate the past from the present and from the future?

Or does He simply know the future? Since He knows all, and He knows us intimately and infitely better than we or anyone else knows us, He also knows what we'll decide to do next, and what choices will come to us as a result. He also knows what those future choices will be and what new choices will result. He knows our decisions concerning those choices and what new choices they bring. And so on, ad infinitum.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: DenBorg] #85767
02/25/07 07:58 PM
02/25/07 07:58 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
You might want to read what has been posted so far in the What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? topic.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: DenBorg] #85769
02/25/07 09:59 PM
02/25/07 09:59 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The definition of freewill is the freedom of choice to do either A or B.

Do you agree with the following paragraph?

My first point has nothing to do with God's foreknowledge. It is that if we can only do A and not B, then our definition of free will, to be logically consistent, should reflect this. You cannot logically define free will as the ability to do either A or B if only A can happen.

Quote:
God's knowing in advance what choice a person will make before that person has even made that choice doesn't affect the above definition of freewill.

I've pointed out many, many times now that the difficulty is not that God knows exactly what will happen, but the existence of an "exactly what will happen." That is, you are postulating a future in which only one thing can happen, which is what God knows will happen. Clearly if God knows A will happen, and not B, then there exists only one future, which is the future where A happens and not B.

The fact that we do not know we will do A, and ignorantly think it's possible for us to do B is an artifact of our ignorance, and in no way reflects the reality of the situation.

Here's the thing. We have one perspective of the future, and God has another. In our perspective, we can do A or B. In God's, it is certain that we will do A. Who's is correct? That is, whose perspective of reality counts here, ours or God's?

Surely reality is what God perceives it to be, wouldn't you agree?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: DenBorg] #85770
02/25/07 10:01 PM
02/25/07 10:01 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Den, it appears we've been misunderstanding each other. Sorry about that.

What I've been trying to show is that the position that MM and Daryl have been arguing for is logically unsound. In order to do this I accept their premise, and then argue that this leads to an absurd situation, which seems to be the same tack you are taking. So that's why it appeared to you that I was agreeing with the position I was actually arguing against.

There's three main points of view possible (there's actually a lot more variations than this, but I'll list the three main ones).

1)The Calvinistic view is that God not only foreknows the future, but foreordains it. No one who participates in this forum (with the possible exception of Mark, who hasn't been taking part in this discussion) has been arguing this position.

2)The traditional Armenian view that God foreknows the future, as being exhaustively determined, yet His knowledge does not interfere with our ability to do either of two or more mutually exclusive things. (I've been speaking of "A" and "B" throughout this thread).

3)The open view idea of the future, which is that the future is not comprised of something certain, which God can peer into and read like a T.V. rerun, but is comprised of possibilities, until these possibilities are actuated by self-determining free will agents.

I've been trying to show that option 2) is logically inconsistent. My reasoning has been the following:

First premise. The following argument is true:

a)Given that if A must happen, then B cannot happen, a person does not have the ability to do B.
b)A definition of free will, given a), should reflect that a person cannot do B in order to be logically consistent.

The two main definitions of free will are the following:

i)The ability to do either A or B.
ii)The ability to do what one wishes to do (in this case, A).

Calvinists argue that definition i) is not logically consistent with the idea that God has exhaustive deterministic knowledge of the future. And they are correct. It isn't logically consistent. So they propose ii). They have a system which is logically consistent, but wrong (we all believe, because we believe a person can do either of A or b).

Traditional Armenianism has a system which logically inconsistent, because if God knows that A will happen, then it is not possible for B to happen, and we're back to the a), b) argument above.

The open view idea (which is a branch of Armenianism) is that God knows the future as a collection of possibilities, not as only one thing.

Last edited by Tom Ewall; 02/25/07 10:17 PM. Reason: I recognized we were talking passed each other, so edited the post.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: DenBorg] #85774
02/25/07 10:29 PM
02/25/07 10:29 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't have a link for this, but here an exchanged I saved:

Quote:
TE: Regarding the other points, it appears that you are suggesting that there whether A or B is possible depends upon one's perspective. From our perspective, either is possible, because we are ignorant. From God's perspective, only A is possible, because He really knows what will happen (thanks to His T.V. re-run ability).

MM: Correct.

TE: So according to this idea, isn't it clear that B is not really doable? Ignorant beings can *think* it's doable, because of their ignorance, but they're wrong. God, who is not ignorant, knows the truth, which is that B is not doable. Merely thinking a thing is doable doesn't make it doable. That seems to be what you're suggesting.

MM: God knows “B” will not happen simply because from His perspective it didn’t happen. But from our perspective it hasn’t happened yet, so our options are many, not in theory, but in reality. God’s knowledge of it has nothing to do with us, unless, of course, He tells us ahead of time. But even then our options are many. Just because God knows what we will do, it doesn’t mean our options are only one. We still have to choose, out of many options, to do the one God knows we will do.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: DenBorg] #85775
02/25/07 10:40 PM
02/25/07 10:40 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: DenBorg
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
He, who knows and sees the future as if it had already happened, isn't confined within time. This is why He knew that Judas would choose to betray Him and Peter would choose to deny Him even with Peter reacting to such a repulsive thought even to the point of saying that he would never choose to do such a repulsive thing as to deny his Lord.

What is meant by being confined by time? The thought that God is not confined by time, does that mean God travels through time into the future so that He learns what will happen by actually experiencing/witnessing those events as they happen? Then He travels back to now and can then prophecy the future because He has literally been there? If this is the case, is there a such thing as "now", since God could travel to any part of time, what would differentiate the past from the present and from the future?
Now you are coming closer to the real issues of this debate.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: DenBorg] #85776
02/25/07 10:47 PM
02/25/07 10:47 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: DenBorg
 Originally Posted By: John Boskovic
Please tell us MM and Daryl, how it is that you do not see the future as fixed or predetermined when according to you it is already history?

John, for the benefit of all reading this, particularly the late-comers such as I, could you post links that refer us to the comments you are referring to when you say that Daryl and MM see the future as "already history"?

Thanks,

Den
Den, for your benefit, I propose you read the 5-6 first pages or more of this thread: http://www.maritime-sda-online.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=84991&page=1&fpart=1
Everything that has been written in this thread is based on what happened in that thread.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Tom] #85777
02/25/07 11:07 PM
02/25/07 11:07 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Tom:No, you missed the point.

Den:No I did not miss the point, but you've certainly missed mine.

Isn't your point that the fact that God knows what will we do does not affect our ability to choose?

No, although that point is true, you have already conceded that point, though there have been an occasion or two where you made comments that contradict that point.

Rather my points are:
  • The future does not affect our choices, as you so argue. Rather the future is affected by the choices we make. IOW, our choices are the cause and the future is the effect/results; not the other way around as you describe it.
  • The fact that we choose A when given the choice between A and B, and this is how the future unfolds, that does not mean that we were incapable of choosing B.
  • That to say that we are only able to do what is determined for us by the future, which is what you are claiming, then we have no freedom of choice at all. Neither would we be responsible for committing sin, for when we sin, we are only doing so because that was in our future, and not because we personally made that choice. In other words, according to you, when we find ourselves sinning, it is not because we chose to sin, but because we had to sin, because it was apparently in the one-and-only future. My point here is that this is incorrect, we did not have to sin.

What do you think my point is?

I'm not sure I know what your point is. Earlier someone stated that you really don't hold to the belief that you've been pushing in this thread. I'm still awaiting confirmation from you personally that you either believe what you've been talking about on this thread, or whether you are playing the devil's advocate because you think MM and perhaps others believe as you describe in this thread.

Re: Clarifying the contradiction [Re: Tom] #85778
02/25/07 11:29 PM
02/25/07 11:29 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
Den, it appears we've been misunderstanding each other. Sorry about that.

Yes, I think we have been talking past each other. I'll give this thread some time to reestablish equilibrium, and do some further background research into this thread by reading the recommended reading given me in a couple other posts. I may participate further in this thread later on.

Talk to ya'll later. Till then, may you all grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, ever growing closer to Him as the day of His appearing draws nearer and nearer.

God Bless.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!