HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: John Boskovic] #86533
03/17/07 01:43 AM
03/17/07 01:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Hey, very colorful post! Nice!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: John Boskovic] #86786
03/22/07 04:49 AM
03/22/07 04:49 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: John Boskovic
Third, I believe the dichotomy between trust and faith and foreknowledge is unwarranted. Just because foreknowledge is objective does not make it cold or corrupt, and it does not mean that it is not based on the subjective virtues of trust and faith.

Foreknowledge of future events is what is cold; for by nature it has to be based on “events” and not on what you know about a person.

I know in advance that given a choice, my son would eat an orange instead of a carrot. Is that corrupt?
I know in advance that if a toddler grabbed a toy away from my daughter, she would give it up rather than grabbing the toddler by the neck and choking him. Is that corrupt?

The examples given do not correlate with knowledge of future events, but of knowing your son’s preference on those two things, or your daughter’s response in such a case. It does not deal with knowing what choices if any and when they will face as events.

Faith and trust, however sees the value of the person to make a judgment regardless of circumstances and choices, or otherwise the extent to which one can be entrusted with.

Events, even future events, are determined by the present actions of people. Actions are determined by choices, and choices character. That's how I see God's creation. It is a very orderly system, governed by countless cause and effect relationships (which finite minds may never fully understand).

Do you think "events" are just arbitrary occurences governed by chance? And hence, "cold" and separate from moral agents? If so, then I can see why you see a dichotomy.

But that is not the case. In fact, the conditional nature of prophecies, even salvation, highlights the order of God's universe. "If this, then that." If God tells us that the cause will result in the effect, that's because that's how He set things up. It is not based on God's arbitrary whims.

Do you ever find God saying, "If this, then it could be that, but it could the other thing, or maybe..."?

How do you think He can be so sure of what's going to happen? Because He knows how things work. And full knowledge of all the causes makes it easy to figure out all the effects (assuming one has enough computational power).

I think you are romanticizing something that is plain and straightforward.

Hmmm, that is strange; was God romanticizing when he found fault with the Israelites in that they were not of faith. Paul also finds fault with their knowledge because it was not of faith, declaring that they were ignorant of God’s righteousness because they were not of faith.
  • Rom 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
    Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
    Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone;

The problem rather appears that there is lack of understanding the weight of “faith” as opposed to “knowledge”. They had “the knowledge apart from faith”. “Faith” is still the “stumbling stone”. Do you relate to your wife by faith and love or by knowledge? How would you rate your relationship if it was based on foreknowledge of future events?

Lack of faith is not romantic in the least. What I am referring to is your contention that lack of knowledge is somehow virtuous; that knowledge is corrupt.

Faith is not opposed to knowledge. In fact, faith without knowledge is not true faith; it is superstition. To believe that one must choose one or the other is to fall into the same fallacy as atheist skeptics.

You ask, "Do you relate to your wife by faith and love or by knowledge?" My answer: faith AND love AND knowledge. All three are fundamental to our relationship.

What about you? Are you so ignorant of your wife's character that you have no idea what she's going to do next? I hope not.

How well do you think God knows our characters? How well do you think He knows Christ's character?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: asygo] #86788
03/22/07 05:07 AM
03/22/07 05:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Do you ever find God saying, "If this, then it could be that, but it could the other thing, or maybe..."?

Yes, God does this. For example, when Moses was worried about appearing before Pharaoh, God gave him signs to perform. God said to Moses, "If they will not believe you," God said, "or heed the first sign, they may believe the latter sign." (Ex. 4:8)

God is a master planner. He knows how to plan for contingencies.

Since the late 1850's EGW started to write, "Christ could have come 'ere now." God is aware of possibilities. It's a mistake to think everything is a certainty to God. If that were the case, there could be no risk.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #86811
03/22/07 02:48 PM
03/22/07 02:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The plan for our redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam. It was a revelation of "the mystery which hath been kept in silence through times eternal." Rom. 16:25, R. V. It was an unfolding of the principles that from eternal ages have been the foundation of God's throne. From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. So great was His love for the world, that He covenanted to give His only-begotten Son, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16. {DA 22.2}

The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created, endowed with power to do the divine will. But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning. . . . Therefore redemption was not an afterthought . . . but an eternal purpose to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world but for the good of all the worlds which God has created. {AG 129.2}

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #86817
03/22/07 03:37 PM
03/22/07 03:37 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:

Yes, God does this. For example, when Moses was worried about appearing before Pharaoh, God gave him signs to perform. God said to Moses, "If they will not believe you," God said, "or heed the first sign, they may believe the latter sign." (Ex. 4:8)

That's not the same thing. It wasn't as if God was saying, "Moses, do this. But I'm not sure how that's going to go over. So in case you need it, here's another thing to do. But it's really hard to figure out how they're going to take that. So here's another one...." Moses was the one who was worried, so God gave him these things in a way to alleviate his fear. (I do the same thing with my kids.)

God knew the characters He was dealing with. Therefore, He knew how those characters would choose to respond to His stimuli.

Compare how God revealed Pharaoh's choices. He knew when his heart would be hard, and when he would let Israel go.

Nothing is hidden from God.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: asygo] #86821
03/22/07 05:02 PM
03/22/07 05:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think God was saying what He said, that perhaps they would respond to the first sign, and if they didn't, then they might react to the second. This doesn't limit God in any way. We have free will to choose to do what we want. These things can't be quantified with 100% certainty.

For example, I've been married for almost 15 years now. My wife still constantly surprises me. Now of course, I'm an idiot compared to God's intelligence, but ever we ourselves don't know the choices that we are going to make.

If things were as you are suggesting, that our choices are fixed completely by our character, then our being saved or not saved would not be dependent upon our choice as the primary cause, but upon the factors that predetermined what choice we would make. Our salvation would be due to factors beyond our control.

A determined future has ugly implications.

An open future may, mistakenly, appear to be limiting God, but that's not the case at all. The reverse is true, because God, rather than having to worry about one set of circumstances (that which is already determined), must take into account a myriad of possibilities. Within the limitless possible consequences of decisions that we may make, and their impact upon others, and the decisions they may make, etc. God is able to take all of that into account and work His will. It takes far greater intelligence to manage things in an open environment like that than in a fixed one.

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #86834
03/22/07 07:57 PM
03/22/07 07:57 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I think God was saying what He said, that perhaps they would respond to the first sign, and if they didn't, then they might react to the second.

He said what He said, but that doesn't necessarily mean He meant what you think He meant.

Do you really think God didn't know how the Israelites would react when Moses pulled out his leprous hand? You have to give God more credit than that. I know how my wife would react if I pulled a beetle from my pocket, and also my kids' contrasting reaction. I think God knows us better than that.

If things were as you are suggesting, that our choices are fixed completely by our character, then our being saved or not saved would not be dependent upon our choice as the primary cause, but upon the factors that predetermined what choice we would make. Our salvation would be due to factors beyond our control.

Our salvation is not based on choice. If it was, nobody would go to Hell. Who would ever choose to burn? If I had to die, I would choose something much more comfortable.

Choices do not determine our destinty. Character determines our destiny.

Is character beyond our control? I don't think so. And I think you will agree.

Now apply this to the Israelites. You are suggesting that God didn't know how they would react to Moses. That means God didn't know what choices they would make. That means that, at that point, God couldn't say if any of them would be safe to save, i.e. would choose to be obedient forever. All this is based on the theory that our free will makes it impossible for God to accurately predict our future choices.

That has a huge impact on soteriology. Agree?

An open future may, mistakenly, appear to be limiting God, but that's not the case at all. The reverse is true, because God, rather than having to worry about one set of circumstances (that which is already determined), must take into account a myriad of possibilities. Within the limitless possible consequences of decisions that we may make, and their impact upon others, and the decisions they may make, etc. God is able to take all of that into account and work His will. It takes far greater intelligence to manage things in an open environment like that than in a fixed one.

God's intelligence really is not relevant. We all know He's very sharp.

The question is, What kind of universe did He make? Is it one where effects are always determined by causes? Or is it one where events are linked by arbitrary mechanisms?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: asygo] #86859
03/23/07 03:31 AM
03/23/07 03:31 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
 Originally Posted By: asygo
Third, I believe the dichotomy between trust and faith and foreknowledge is unwarranted. Just because foreknowledge is objective does not make it cold or corrupt, and it does not mean that it is not based on the subjective virtues of trust and faith.

Foreknowledge of future events is what is cold; for by nature it has to be based on “events” and not on what you know about a person.

I know in advance that given a choice, my son would eat an orange instead of a carrot. Is that corrupt?
I know in advance that if a toddler grabbed a toy away from my daughter, she would give it up rather than grabbing the toddler by the neck and choking him. Is that corrupt?

The examples given do not correlate with knowledge of future events, but of knowing your son’s preference on those two things, or your daughter’s response in such a case. It does not deal with knowing what choices if any and when they will face as events.

Faith and trust, however sees the value of the person to make a judgment regardless of circumstances and choices, or otherwise the extent to which one can be entrusted with.

Events, even future events, are determined by the present actions of people. Actions are determined by choices, and choices character. That's how I see God's creation. It is a very orderly system, governed by countless cause and effect relationships (which finite minds may never fully understand).

Do you think "events" are just arbitrary occurences governed by chance? And hence, "cold" and separate from moral agents? If so, then I can see why you see a dichotomy.

But that is not the case. In fact, the conditional nature of prophecies, even salvation, highlights the order of God's universe. "If this, then that." If God tells us that the cause will result in the effect, that's because that's how He set things up. It is not based on God's arbitrary whims.

You sort of ignored my comments. I said Faith and trust sees the value of the person to make a judgment regardless of circumstances and choices, or otherwise the extent to which one can be entrusted with. Its the difference between knowing the person or knowing the events. Like you mentioned, God says "If" this then that; but there is the "if" which is dependent on the person to whom God has given the "if". To know which event will transpire is to say that there is no "if" given. So you cannot know the future as events when you allow for "if". A knowledge of future "events" "that will happen" therefore is cold because there is no "if". But if an "if" is given then the knowledge of the future is an "if".

Quote:
I think you are romanticizing something that is plain and straightforward.

Hmmm, that is strange; was God romanticizing when he found fault with the Israelites in that they were not of faith. Paul also finds fault with their knowledge because it was not of faith, declaring that they were ignorant of God’s righteousness because they were not of faith.

Lack of faith is not romantic in the least.

What is that supposed to say? Did you not kind of flip there? You were proposing something "romantic", not something "not romantic".

What I am referring to is your contention that lack of knowledge is somehow virtuous; that knowledge is corrupt.

What I am contending against is a knowledge that does not allow for faith or love.

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: John Boskovic] #86860
03/23/07 03:47 AM
03/23/07 03:47 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Faith and trust sees the value of the person to make a judgment regardless of circumstances and choices, or otherwise the extent to which one can be entrusted with. Its the difference between knowing the person or knowing the events.

The difference is unwarranted. One does not have to choose between the two.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: John Boskovic] #86861
03/23/07 03:54 AM
03/23/07 03:54 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
God says "If" this then that; but there is the "if" which is dependent on the person to whom God has given the "if". To know which event will transpire is to say that there is no "if" given. So you cannot know the future as events when you allow for "if". A knowledge of future "events" "that will happen" therefore is cold because there is no "if". But if an "if" is given then the knowledge of the future is an "if".

"If" is sometimes used to denote ignorance. For example, when I write a computer program, I use "if" statements so that the program can act accordingly, depending on what the user does, which I do not know ahead of time. If the user does something, the program will respond accordingly.

But "if" is sometimes used to denote conditions. God said, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." He wasn't guessing about the effects of love. The "if" means that it is up to the person to choose which condition he wants to fulfill, and consequently, which event will result.

Just because God gives someone a choice, does not mean that He has no clue what choice will be made. Knowledge of our characters gives Him a very accurate idea.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!