HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #88099
04/22/07 08:35 PM
04/22/07 08:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, MM. I'm basing it on the totality of what he wrote.

If one reads to understand what someone is trying to say, rather than to look for things to find fault with, it's easier to understand what a poster is saying.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #88143
04/23/07 03:40 PM
04/23/07 03:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Again, here is what Arnold wrote:

Quote:
Here's an unqualified statement: All who are born of God never indulge in known sins, not even once.

And here is what you posted:

Quote:
I think Arnold is defining born again as one who is following God sincerely. So, by definition, one in this state could not be knowingly sinning. One could sin, repent of that sin, and then be restored to fellowship with God. This is what I hear Arnold saying.

Arnold is talking about known sinning and you seem to be referring to sins of ignorance. Arnold agreed that a born again person can commit sins of ignorance, but he emphatically believes – “All who are born of God never indulge in known sins, not even once.”

From what I know about your theology I suspect you disagree with Arnold’s thoughts on believers never committing a known sin, not even once, after they have experienced the miracle of rebirth.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #88156
04/23/07 04:38 PM
04/23/07 04:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I based what I wrote about Arnold's theology on what he was writing in the thread. Not just that one statements, but the other posts as well. Evidently I understood him correctly, because he agreed that I had interpreted him correctly.

I'm not perceiving, regarding this point, that I differ much from what Arnold is saying, in terms of his thought. That is, I would state things a bit differently than he would, but not in a material way which would alter his main points. So I haven't felt constrained to comment on what he has written.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #88175
04/24/07 03:03 AM
04/24/07 03:03 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here's the history of Arnold's "unqualified statement":

Quote:
A: Here's an unqualified statement: All who are born of God never indulge in known sins, not even once.

MM: Wow! Can you back that up with inspired statements?

A: 1 John 3:9 - Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Romans 6:1-2 - What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?

Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Romans 8:1 - There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Galatians 6:16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

MM: Arnold, you seem to be suggesting that people who are truly born again never ever knowingly sin again. Is that right?

A: That is right. When a born again person is faced with something he knows to be sin, his choice is between committing the sin or staying born again. He cannot have both.

MM: PS - Your thoughts on true believers never committing a known sin again is disturbing. I'd like to explore it more with you. Also, I'm surprised Tom hasn't said anything about it. I suspect he opposes it.

A: Why do you find it disturbing? I find the prospect of never committing known sin to be very exciting. In fact, I'm planning to do just that for eternity. I'd like to get started ASAP.

I'm pretty sure Arnold is saying born again believers never commit known sins, not even once. When I asked, “Arnold, you seem to be suggesting that people who are truly born again never ever knowingly sin again. Is that right?” He responded with, “That is right.” He doesn’t agree with you that born again believers do commit known sins and then repent.

At any rate, I suspect he will eventually answer for himself.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #88180
04/24/07 04:01 AM
04/24/07 04:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, he probably will answer for himself. But he agreed with my explanation of what he was saying, so you might want to take a look at that. I didn't find what he was saying at all difficult to understand. I think you're looking to much to parse words rather than just trying to understand what he's saying.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Tom] #88195
04/24/07 04:29 PM
04/24/07 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I just sent Arnold a PM asking him to respond.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #88232
04/25/07 06:56 AM
04/25/07 06:56 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Guys, I'm on vacation. Will have more time next week. But a quickie for now.

Whoever is born of God cannot sin. When faced with the opportunity to commit known sin, there are two possible choices:
  1. keep the flesh crucified and walk in the Spirit
  2. crucify Christ afresh and walk in the flesh.
One choice is the "child of God" choice; the other is the "child of Satan" choice. One option must be chosen, and the other rejected. The choices are comprehensive, and mutually exclusive.

I say that he who is born of God cannot ever commit known sin because to commit known sin requires giving up being born of God.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: asygo] #88254
04/25/07 06:18 PM
04/25/07 06:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
A: I say that he who is born of God cannot ever commit known sin because to commit known sin requires giving up being born of God.

MM: Arnold, I'm still not 100% sure I understand what you are saying. Please forgive me. It sounds like you are saying born again believers never commit known sins because they are born again and once believers experience the miracle of rebirth they cannot stop being born again.

However, wouldn't it be more accurate to say - So long as born again believers are abiding in Jesus, so long as they are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, so long as they are actively and aggressively partaking of the divine nature they do not and cannot commit a known sin.

Also, do you think people stop being born again when they stop choosing to abide in Jesus during a moment of weakness and commit a known sin? Or, do you think they temporarily stop behaving like a born again believer when they are not abiding in Jesus, and that repentance restores them to being able to behave like a born again believer?

PS - I hope you are enjoying your vacation.

Re: True Conversion Described [Re: Mountain Man] #88294
04/26/07 03:42 AM
04/26/07 03:42 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
My vacation was so fun that I need a vacation to recover from it! ;\)

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
It sounds like you are saying born again believers never commit known sins because they are born again and once believers experience the miracle of rebirth they cannot stop being born again.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm actually saying the opposite.

People can and do stop being born again. Every time they knowingly choose to sin, they are forfeiting their rebirth. That's why one cannot both be born of God and knowingly sin, because one must choose either of the two mutually exclusive options - never both.

Here's another strong statement: Many people mistakenly think they can knowingly sin once and maintain their saved condition.

So long as born again believers are abiding in Jesus, so long as they are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, so long as they are actively and aggressively partaking of the divine nature they do not and cannot commit a known sin.

I agree with that 100%.

do you think people stop being born again when they stop choosing to abide in Jesus during a moment of weakness and commit a known sin? Or, do you think they temporarily stop behaving like a born again believer when they are not abiding in Jesus, and that repentance restores them to being able to behave like a born again believer?

People stop being born again the moment they separate from Jesus. Whether it is a moment of weakness or a lifetime of wickedness, the problem is fundamentally the same - separation from Jesus.

And when one is separated from Jesus, there is no rebirth, no salvation, no life.

It is not a matter of behavior, but a matter of nature. When we stop abiding in Christ, we start abiding in the flesh. Essentially, we go back to being slaves of the Old Man. Our behavior is merely the outward manifestation of our allegiance to our master.

So, beneath the issue of stopping behaving like a born again believer, the willful sinner actually stops being a born again believer. Instead, he becomes a dead again unbeliever.

Whether or not the condition is temporary depends on the sinner's repentance. And repentance includes sorrow for and forsaking of sin. IOW, repentance means dying to sin. And when one dies to sin, he lives to God.

Once again, Paul's words ring in our ears: How can we who died to sin live any longer in it? Answer: We cannot.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: True Conversion Described [Re: asygo] #88299
04/26/07 03:58 AM
04/26/07 03:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It sounds to me, Arnold, that you are basically saying the same thing as MM. Basically both of you believe that a person can go in and out of being in a saved position multiple times a day or hour. You commit a sin (known sin) and are lost. Repent, and you are saved again. Sin again, and lost again. Repent again, and saved again. And so forth.

Am I misunderstanding either one of you on this point?

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!