HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88669
05/07/07 04:12 PM
05/07/07 04:12 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I believe we don't have sufficient elements to affirm it's true, while we have a much more firm basis in relation to the second proposition.

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Rosangela] #88671
05/07/07 05:11 PM
05/07/07 05:11 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I believe we don't have sufficient elements to affirm it's true, while we have a much more firm basis in relation to the second proposition.

We have a sufficient basis to affirst the first proposition is false, don't we? If the probability that SDA believer's children will be saved is 100%, and that probability diminishes to less than 100% after the child passes the age of accountability, then your original proposition is false, according to how you defined your terms.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88672
05/07/07 05:19 PM
05/07/07 05:19 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
My point is that every person who is judged in the final judgment will have had, in some way or other, the opportunity to see the light (even in a very limited way) and be saved. If they are not saved it's because they chose not to follow the light they had. They are without excuse. Therefore, God will not allow a person who has reached the age of accountability to die without having had an opportunity to see the light.

I essentially agree with this, but don't think it's a matter of God not allowing something to happen. The true light lightens everyone who comes into the world. Wisdom cries out in the streets.

Quote:
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.

3 There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.

(Ps. 19:1-3)

Quote:
18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
(Romans 1:19-21)

Surely if every person knows enough about God to be justly condemned, they know enough to be saved. Paul points out that every knows enough about God to not only know He exists, but to know they should be thankful to Him.

Because God reveals Himself to everyone, everyone has an opportunity to be saved. Simply not resisting the wooing of the Holy Spirit will result in a person's being saved. God draws everyone to Himself, so that everyone can be saved by not resisting.

Quote:
None will ever come to Christ, save those who respond to the drawing of the Father's love. But God is drawing all hearts unto Him, and only those who resist His drawing will refuse to come to Christ. (DA 387)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88691
05/08/07 02:09 PM
05/08/07 02:09 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
The true light lightens everyone who comes into the world.

OK, but it's not instantly and easily perceived, due to the blindness caused by sin. Sort of like Plato's allegory of the cave.

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88711
05/08/07 10:04 PM
05/08/07 10:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Tom, on the "True Conversion" thread you and I agreed that God imputes repentance, or salvation, in cases involving people who die before they are able to repent.

I've not said God imputes repentance or salvation to these people. I said they weren't in a lost condition.

What’s the difference? If they’re not lost does that mean they are saved?

Quote:
MM: Can we apply this same truth here?

I don't think this works. I'll explain in detail at the end of this post.

Okay.

Quote:
Also, your hypothetical possibilities divorce the fact God knows who will repent if they had lived long enough. Thus, God knows who will choose to be save and who will not. Accordingly, He chooses the best time and place to cause or allow them to die.

I don't think you're looking at this the right way. God looks at the heart, and sees what the person is actually like. He doesn't look in to a hypothetical future to see what the person might have done, and judge the person according to that. He makes judgement based on knowing a person's character, not on the basis of foreknowledge.

But you believe they are not lost. Why not? What does God base it on?

Quote:
Here's what I hear you saying. In the case of a CBTAOA, God looks to see what that child would have done had he or she lived, and if, at some point in its future, say even as an old man or woman, he or she would have accepted Christ, then God includes that person in the first resurrection. If I have this wrong, please correct me, and you can ignore the rest of this, but this is what I'm hearing you say.

Correct.

Quote:
There are many problems with this theory, including it's not being ethical or fair, but I'll leave those, and just deal with some problems invovling logical inconsistencies.

Okay.

Quote:
You could apply the same logic to any people who die, not just children. Say a person dies, for whatever reason, and God sees that the person would have accepted Christ had he lived another ten years. Does God take that person to heaven, even though he never actually repented or accepted Christ. He would have, had he lived, so is that good enough? If not, why is it good enough for children?

Yes, they are not lost. They are saved.

Quote:
One can consider the case of infants and fetuses as well. Is a fetus alive? If so, can God do the same thing as for other CBEAOA, and look to see what the fetus would have done had it lived? If it would have accepted Christ, then it is saved? Where does one draw the line? How about a zygote? Can God see what a zygote would have done, and on the basis of that, take it to heaven? How about a pre-zygote? Can God look at a sperm cell, and an egg, and see the zygote that would have formed, and see that it would have developed into a person who would have accepted Christ, and take the sperm cell/egg to heaven? Where does one draw the line, if one reasons along these lines?

As to whether or not God will take unborn babies to heaven we have no inspired statement to guide us. But we do have inspired statements that describe holy angels delivering little children to their mothers.

GC 645
The living righteous are changed "in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye." At the voice of God they were glorified; now they are made immortal and with the risen saints are caught up to meet their Lord in the air. Angels "gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other." Little children are borne by holy angels to their mothers' arms. Friends long separated by death are united, nevermore to part, and with songs of gladness ascend together to the City of God. {GC 645.1}

CG 565, 566
You inquire in regard to your little one being saved. Christ's words are your answer: "Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not; for of such is the kingdom of God." Remember the prophecy, "Thus saith the Lord: A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rachel weeping for her children refused to be comforted. . . . Thus saith the Lord: Refrain thy voice from weeping and thine eyes from tears; for thy work shall be rewarded, saith the Lord; and they shall come again from the land of the enemy. And there is hope in thine end, saith the Lord, that thy children shall come again to thine own border." {CG 565.4}

This promise is yours. You may be comforted and trust in the Lord. The Lord has often instructed me that many little ones are to be laid away before the time of trouble. We shall see our children again. We shall meet them and know them in the heavenly courts. Put your trust in the Lord, and be not afraid. {CG 566.1}

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Mountain Man] #88724
05/09/07 01:08 AM
05/09/07 01:08 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John 1:9: The true light lightens everyone who comes into the world.

R:OK, but it's not instantly and easily perceived, due to the blindness caused by sin. Sort of like Plato's allegory of the cave.

From Romans we read:

Quote:
18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
(Romans 1:19-21)

A key thing to bear in mind is that the reason the truth about God is known is because *God Himself has shown it to them.* So while it is true that sin makes things difficult, God is able to work around this difficulty, and reveal Himself to each one, to the extent that they may be held responsible for not giving thanks to God.

This is really a remarkable statement. Paul says the wicked are guilty not for simply not recognizing God's existence, but for not thanking Him! This means that not only does God reveal His existence to men, but reveals quite a bit of His character as well, at least enough than men can be held responsible for not thanking Him.

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88725
05/09/07 01:15 AM
05/09/07 01:15 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Tom, on the "True Conversion" thread you and I agreed that God imputes repentance, or salvation, in cases involving people who die before they are able to repent.

I've not said God imputes repentance or salvation to these people. I said they weren't in a lost condition.

What’s the difference? If they’re not lost does that mean they are saved?

The context of this is people like Moses who sinned at the rock, right? Someone who is saved and commits a sin in a moment of weakness, and has not yet repented. Yes, these saved people are saved.

The difference is that God’s imputing or not imputing repentance is not the issue. The issue is whether or not they love God and the principles of His government.

Quote:
MM: Can we apply this same truth here?

I don't think this works. I'll explain in detail at the end of this post.

Okay.
Quote:
Also, your hypothetical possibilities divorce the fact God knows who will repent if they had lived long enough. Thus, God knows who will choose to be save and who will not. Accordingly, He chooses the best time and place to cause or allow them to die.

I don't think you're looking at this the right way. God looks at the heart, and sees what the person is actually like. He doesn't look in to a hypothetical future to see what the person might have done, and judge the person according to that. He makes judgment based on knowing a person's character, not on the basis of foreknowledge.

But you believe they are not lost. Why not? What does God base it on?

”He makes judgment based on knowing a person's character.”

Quote:
Here's what I hear you saying. In the case of a CBTAOA, God looks to see what that child would have done had he or she lived, and if, at some point in its future, say even as an old man or woman, he or she would have accepted Christ, then God includes that person in the first resurrection. If I have this wrong, please correct me, and you can ignore the rest of this, but this is what I'm hearing you say.

Correct.
Quote:
There are many problems with this theory, including it's not being ethical or fair, but I'll leave those, and just deal with some problems involving logical inconsistencies.

Okay.
Quote:
You could apply the same logic to any people who die, not just children. Say a person dies, for whatever reason, and God sees that the person would have accepted Christ had he lived another ten years. Does God take that person to heaven, even though he never actually repented or accepted Christ. He would have, had he lived, so is that good enough? If not, why is it good enough for children?

Yes, they are not lost. They are saved.
Quote:
One can consider the case of infants and fetuses as well. Is a fetus alive? If so, can God do the same thing as for other CBEAOA, and look to see what the fetus would have done had it lived? If it would have accepted Christ, then it is saved? Where does one draw the line? How about a zygote? Can God see what a zygote would have done, and on the basis of that, take it to heaven? How about a pre-zygote? Can God look at a sperm cell, and an egg, and see the zygote that would have formed, and see that it would have developed into a person who would have accepted Christ, and take the sperm cell/egg to heaven? Where does one draw the line, if one reasons along these lines?

As to whether or not God will take unborn babies to heaven we have no inspired statement to guide us.

You don’t need an inspired statement to apply logic. Everything God says is logical. He doesn’t tell us things so that we will believe on the basis of authority apart from logic. He wants us to be convinced in our own minds that the things He says are true, because we understand the principles involved, not just because He said so.

Anyway, if God can look ahead and see what a baby will do, and see that the baby would have been saved had it lived, then God can do the same thing for a fetus. That’s logical.

But we do have inspired statements that describe holy angels delivering little children to their mothers.

Of course, but these statements do not say that the reason God does so is because He foresees what the baby would have done had it lived. That’s what your contention is.

GC 645
The living righteous are changed "in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye." At the voice of God they were glorified; now they are made immortal and with the risen saints are caught up to meet their Lord in the air. Angels "gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other." Little children are borne by holy angels to their mothers' arms. Friends long separated by death are united, nevermore to part, and with songs of gladness ascend together to the City of God. {GC 645.1}

CG 565, 566
You inquire in regard to your little one being saved. Christ's words are your answer: "Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not; for of such is the kingdom of God." Remember the prophecy, "Thus saith the Lord: A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rachel weeping for her children refused to be comforted. . . . Thus saith the Lord: Refrain thy voice from weeping and thine eyes from tears; for thy work shall be rewarded, saith the Lord; and they shall come again from the land of the enemy. And there is hope in thine end, saith the Lord, that thy children shall come again to thine own border." {CG 565.4}

This promise is yours. You may be comforted and trust in the Lord. The Lord has often instructed me that many little ones are to be laid away before the time of trouble. We shall see our children again. We shall meet them and know them in the heavenly courts. Put your trust in the Lord, and be not afraid. {CG 566.1}

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88744
05/09/07 04:01 PM
05/09/07 04:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
A key thing to bear in mind is that the reason the truth about God is known is because *God Himself has shown it to them.* So while it is true that sin makes things difficult, God is able to work around this difficulty, and reveal Himself to each one, to the extent that they may be held responsible for not giving thanks to God.

Of course. But how long do you think it takes for the Holy Spirit to reach the person's heart? It happens all of a sudden as the child turns 8 or 9? Does it happen for everyone at the same age, in the same way, for Christians and non-Christians? Are there no individual differences?

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Rosangela] #88755
05/09/07 06:59 PM
05/09/07 06:59 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

Of course. But how long do you think it takes for the Holy Spirit to reach the person's heart? It happens all of a sudden as the child turns 8 or 9? Does it happen for everyone at the same age, in the same way, for Christians and non-Christians? Are there no individual differences?

Certainly there are differences. Some people respond to the Holy Spirit before they can either remember. Others never do.

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88771
05/10/07 01:25 AM
05/10/07 01:25 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: The context of this is people like Moses who sinned at the rock, right? Someone who is saved and commits a sin in a moment of weakness, and has not yet repented. Yes, these saved people are saved.

MM: What is the evidence? How does God know they would have repented?

TE: The difference is that God’s imputing or not imputing repentance is not the issue. The issue is whether or not they love God and the principles of His government.

MM: Again, what is the evidence? How does God know they love God and the principles of His government? Why is repentance sometimes required and sometimes not?

TE: But you believe they are not lost. Why not? What does God base it on?

TE: “He makes judgment based on knowing a person's character, not on the basis of foreknowledge.”

MM: Since you do not believe God knows our future choices with 100% accuracy, how, then, can you believe God can save anyone based on their character? Are you implying God can determine the future choices they would have made had they not died based on the general trend of their life? If God was unable to know ahead of time if Jesus was going to fail or succeed, how can you say God knows it about someone who sinned when they died?

TE: You don’t need an inspired statement to apply logic. Everything God says is logical. He doesn’t tell us things so that we will believe on the basis of authority apart from logic. He wants us to be convinced in our own minds that the things He says are true, because we understand the principles involved, not just because He said so.

MM: Tom, be careful. That’s the same rationale David Koresh used to deceive his followers.

TE: Of course, but these statements do not say that the reason God does so is because He foresees what the baby would have done had it lived. That’s what your contention is.

MM: Okay. Now that you have made it clear you think my idea is wrong – What do you think? How can God trust CBTAOA not to rebel in heaven? What does He base His decision on?

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!