HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 103 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #88498
05/01/07 05:31 PM
05/01/07 05:31 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
That a probability can be 0 or 1 is something you would learn at the beginning of the first class in a probability course.

Again, this is for theoretical purposes. A probability of 0 or 1 doesn’t need to be estimated. It is a certainty.

You seem to be confusing statistics with probability. The type of questions I’ve been providing are probability questions. Like the probability of drawing a marble from a hat. If there are three marbles in a hat, all of them blue, the probability of drawing a blue marble is 1. These sorts of problems are very common. There’s no need for estimating. That’s a statistical function.

Quote:
We are NOT dealing with post-hoc probability.

We ARE, and this is the whole point of our discussion.

No, we’re not. My question was, what was the probability before the fact, as of 1000 B.C., that Christ would fail. This is not an after the fact probability question.

The fact that God knew that Jesus wouldn’t sin is post-hoc probability.

No, it’s not. Post-hoc is after the fact, not before the fact.

You are saying that the prior probability is 1 because we know the final result (the post-hoc probability), and you are saying I’m wrong when I affirm that the post-hoc probability (even if known beforehand) doesn’t affect the prior probability.

No, this isn’t what I’m saying. If you know the outcome of an event before it happens, there is some reason for that. For example, perhaps you know that the top card of a deck of cards is the Ace of Spades, so the probability of that card being dealt first is 1, not 1 in 52. Or perhaps you know that a die will come up 1 before it happens, based on the angle of the die, and the way it’s rolled, and so forth. These underlying realities allow the probability to be accurately determined, before the event has occurred. These underlying realities exist independent of one’s foreknowledge. To judge these respective probabilities as 1 in 52, or 1 in 6, is based on ignorance of the facts.

Anyway, I had not suggested we had to use the Bayesian interpretation because we were using post-hoc probability, but because I’m not sure that in the case of Christ we are dealing with events (since frequentists attribute probabilities only to events).

The event is that Christ would pass through life without failing. The word “event” is a mathematical term.

Quote:
If this were true, why wouldn’t He have said that He sent His Son at the certainty of success rather than at the risk of failure and eternal loss? Post-hoc, the probability of success would be 1.

Because Ellen White was speaking of the prior probability, which reflects not the final result, but the process and the difficulties involved in it.
Let’s suppose the United States wins the next World Cup. After we know the final result (the post-hoc probability), this doesn't affect the fact that the probability of the United States winning the World Cup was of just 0.01 (this is just an arbitrary number), which reflects the difficulties involved in the process and the situation of the US team in relation to the other teams.

If the process has risk, then the final result has risk. Similarly, if there is no risk in the final result, there is no risk in the process.

For example, if one speaks of the risk that a goaltender will give up a goal, if there is no risk of a goal being scored during the game (the process), then there is no risk in the final result. Conversely, if one can assert that the final result would end up with a goal being scored by the other team, then there was no risk in the game itself that a goal would be scored.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #88499
05/01/07 05:34 PM
05/01/07 05:34 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: If this were true, why wouldn’t He have said that He sent His Son at the certainty of success rather than at the risk of failure and eternal loss?

MM: He did! Dozens of times throughout the OT and the NT God repeatedly described in minute detail precisely how Jesus would succeed.

It's ironic that one who uses Ellen White so much would be so quick to set her aside in favor of Scripture when she doesn't serve the desired purpose. Usually you just cite here, and it's "end of story."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88526
05/02/07 02:01 PM
05/02/07 02:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, just because I see it differently than you do it does not mean I am setting aside the SOP. That is an unfair characterization.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #88527
05/02/07 02:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Her comment refers to Jesus' ability to sin.

No, it doesn’t! When Waggoner argued that Christ could not sin because He had perfect faith, Ellen White corrected him. Waggoner was not arguing that because of Christ’s perfect faith, He did not have the physical ability to sin. That wouldn’t make any sense. He argued that it wasn’t possible for Christ to sin.

No one doubts Christ had the physical ability to sin. This was never an issue. You don’t correct an issue that doesn’t exist.

Tom, you’ll have to substantiate this way of reading her comment, because I’m not seeing it. The way it reads in 5BC 1128, 1129 the burden of her message is: “Never, in any way, leave the slightest impression upon human minds that a taint of, or inclination to, corruption rested upon Christ, or that He in any way yielded to corruption.” “Satan found nothing in Him to encourage his advances.”

Quote:
It does not imply that God did not know ahead of time if Jesus would fail or succeed.

If God knew with 100% certainty that Christ would succeed, then it could not be said that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss. I discussed this with a couple of friends of mine who aren’t Adventists, and they saw this right away. Really, it’s obvious. I think only having a preconceived idea about how God sees things would enable one not to see this.

Did you also explain to your non-Adventist friends that nowhere in the Bible does God admit He only revealed what He hoped would happen, that the inspired record does not reflect God doubting the outcome?

Quote:
If that is what she had intended for us to get our of her comment she would have plainly said so.

That’s not true. There are many things that one can infer that she didn’t plainly say. We can reason things that she didn’t say from things she did.

Exactly. Based on the fact 1) she never once said God doubted the outcome, and that 2) everything she wrote about it reflects God knew Jesus would succeed - we have positive proof that He knew Jesus would succeed.

Quote:
She would not have left it up to us to figure it out on our own. It doesn't work that way …

Sure it does! We have brains. God doesn’t have to spoon feed us everything. There are many things God leaves us to reason out. He *wants* us to reason things out. There are many EGW statements which bring this out.

I’m not talking about “everything” else or something God has purposely left vague or unclear. I’m talking about what God has plainly told us, namely, that He knew Jesus would succeed.

Quote:
… especially not when God repeatedly said Jesus would succeed. Your idea that the fact God didn't express His doubts doesn't mean He didn't have them isn't supported by the facts.

What idea? I never said anything about God’s not expressing doubts not meaning He didn’t have them.

Elsewhere you wrote, “God can see every possibility, including what would happen if Jesus succeeded. This is the only possibility we need to know about.” Here is the context:

Quote:
From “What if Jesus had failed?” post number 88283:

MM: Be that as it may, you still haven't explained why Jesus described in precise detail exactly what would happen during His earthly sojourn and that He would succeed at saving us.

This is not at all mysterious. God can see every possibility, including what would happen if Jesus succeeded. This is the only possibility we need to know about.

MM: If, as you insist, God did not, could not, know with certainty that Jesus would succeed, why, then, did He say so over and over again throughout the OT and the NT?

Why wouldn't He?

MM: Why is it that He never once expressed doubt or uncertainty about it?

Why would He?

When I asked, "Why is it that He never once expressed doubt or uncertainty about it?" You answered, "Why would He?" Your answer, coupled with your first answer (i.e., The possibility that Jesus would succeed "is the only possibility we need to know about") implies that God did indeed doubt it, but that He simply chose not to reveal it.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88528
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R:The fact that God knew that Jesus wouldn’t sin is post-hoc probability.

T: No, it’s not. Post-hoc is after the fact, not before the fact.

According to the view I am defending yes, it would be post-hoc, since God sees future events as past.

Quote:
If you know the outcome of an event before it happens, there is some reason for that.

The problem is trying to apply probability, which is a human concept, to spiritual truths. If the prior probability of something happening is 0 (like, for instance, in the case of pregnancy without a masculine cell), there is no formula I know of in the probability theory which could give 100% chance of the event happening, even if you know the outcome beforehand.

Quote:
If the process has risk, then the final result has risk. Similarly, if there is no risk in the final result, there is no risk in the process.

This can be very tricky. You have to distinguish between the risks involved in the process (the process itself may be risky) and the risk involved in the outcome. Living is dangerous. Provided that you don’t live in the last generation, what is the risk that you will die? 100%. And what is the risk in relation to the outcome? 0.
If you know the outcome beforehand, this means that there is no risk that the final result will change (since you already know it), but this does not prevent the process from being risky.
In the case of Christ, what was the risk involved in the process? Facing all the threats posed to Him. What was the risk involved in the final result? None, because God foresaw that He would overcome all the threats.

Speaking of the temptations, it is interesting to note that Ellen White speaks of Christ as “capable of yielding to temptations”, and she speaks about “the liability of Christ to yield to Satan’s temptations.” Webster says that “liable implies exposure or susceptibility to something undesirable.” Christ was susceptible to temptations and capable of yielding to them, like all other human beings.

“Our Lord's trial and test and proving shows that He could yield to these temptations, else the battle was all a farce. ... As God, Christ could not be tempted any more than He was not tempted from His allegiance in heaven. But as Christ humbled Himself to the nature of man, He could be tempted. He had not taken on Him even the nature of the angels, but humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin. A human body, a human mind, with all the peculiar properties, He was bone, brain, and muscle. A man of our flesh, He was compassed with the weakness of humanity. The circumstances of His life were of that character that He was exposed to all the inconveniences that belong to men, not in wealth, not in ease, but in poverty and want and humiliation. ... Our Lord was tempted as man is tempted. He was capable of yielding to temptations, as are human beings. ... But here we must not become in our ideas common and earthly, and in our perverted ideas we must not think that the liability of Christ to yield to Satan's temptations degraded His humanity and He possessed the same sinful, corrupt propensities as man. The divine nature, combined with the human, made Him capable of yielding to Satan's temptations. ... To suppose He was not capable of yielding to temptation places Him where He cannot be a perfect example for man, and the force and the power of this part of Christ's humiliation, which is the most eventful, is no instruction or help to human beings.” {16MR 181, 182}

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #88529
05/02/07 02:04 PM
05/02/07 02:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, did you overlook this post?

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
 Quote:
TE: If it's not possible to create angels that wouldn't sin, doesn't that suggest a design flaw? Why should sin be the inevitable result of creating angels? That doesn't make any sense to me.

MM: No, it doesn't suggest a design flaw. The fact two-thirds of the angels choose not to sin and rebel is proof.

TE: It's proof that your assertion that God couldn't create angels that wouldn't sin is false, right?

MM: That's not what I meant. There are certain things God will not do. And there are certain things that God can theoretically do, but that He will never do because it would be wrong, it wouldn't be perfect. For example, God would have never considered creating angels differently than He did, because it would have been wrong, it wouldn't have been perfect. God cannot do anything wrong or less than perfect. Therefore, He couldn't have created angels that were by design incapable of sinning.

So God was not capable of creating angels that wouldn’t sin, right? That’s what you are asserting.

“Not capable” is misleading. It would be more accurate to say, God created angels “capable of appreciating the wisdom and benevolence of His character and the justice of His requirements, and with full liberty to yield or to withhold obedience.” Making them any other way was not an option.

Quote:
TE: Even if this were the case, why wouldn't God simply have refrained from creating angels, and just stick with the millions of other world, including trillions of beings that wouldn't sin?

MM: We could also ask, Why did He create humans on the same planet He banished the evil angles?

TE: What?

MM: You are asking, Why didn't God just simply choose not to create angels since He knew one-third of them would end up sinning, since there were already plenty of other FMAs that He knew were never going to choose to sin.

He could have chosen not to create the angels that would sin. He could have gone ahead and created the ones that wouldn’t. Actually simply not creating Lucifer would have been enough.

Such an option was, obviously, not viable. Why? Because otherwise God would have done it that way. The fact He chose to do it the way He did is positive proof it was the only right way. God doesn’t make mistakes.

Quote:
I asked essentially the same question. Why did God choose to create humans knowing they were going to sin?

He didn’t.

Here is how Sister White put it:

DA 22
From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. {DA 22.2}

AG 129
But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning. {AG 129.2}

Nothing about these quotes, or anything else she wrote, implies God did not know ahead of time if mankind would obey or sin. The SOP “risk” quotes were never intended to mean such a thing. You are trying to force them to mean something they do not address. Your conclusions are unnatural, and unbiblical. Again, nowhere in the Bible is such an idea advocated or intimated, and it is clear the SOP never contradicts the Bible.

Quote:
TE: You are asserting that God had no option which would not include sin and death. What about simply not creating Lucifer? Or not creating angels? Why should that have resulted in sin and death? (I'm expecting a circular answer to be forthcoming).

MM: No other option could be better than the one Jesus employed, and I assume one that did not include sin and death would be better.

TE: Yup! There it is!

MM: Not so. You are assuming there was such an option. But the fact God did not employ it is evidence it does not exist.

This is just as circular as the other.

Here’s what your doing. You are asserting “God did A.” I ask you why God didn’t to B instead of A, since B would have led to a better result. Your response is that this would not have led to a better result because if it would have, then God would have done that. That’s just arguing in a circle. You could defend any assertion with this lack of reasoning.

Tom, there is nothing circular about it. The fact is, “B” would not have “led to a better [or equal] result”. There was no such option. Why? Because God would have employed it instead. Again, this isn’t based on circular reasoning. It is based on a knowledge of God’s love and character. You seem to be implying that there was a “better” option available to God, but that He chose not employ it. This idea implicates God.

Quote:
MM: Otherwise, you are implying God purposely chose to ignore it, to insist on one that He knew included sin and death. Or, you are insisting He was ignorant of it until after the option He employed went south. Neither one is flattering.

The unflattering result comes from *your* assumptions. Certainly it was an option for God not create Lucifer. Why didn’t He do this? Since God knew Lucifer would sin, according to your view of things, God must have preferred that sin come about than that it not. This is just simple logic.

“Certainly it was an option for God not create Lucifer.” Please post an inspired statement that supports your assertion. Since you and I both know that no such statement exists, it is clear you cannot back it up with anything other than your home spun logic, which doesn’t cut it on MSDAOL. The fact God did things the way He did clearly implies it was the one and only right way to do it. Why? Because God is infinitely wise and perfect. He does not make mistakes.

“Since God knew Lucifer would sin, according to your view of things, God must have preferred that sin come about than that it not. This is just simple logic.” Perhaps too simple, as in, lacking sound logic. Consider the following observations:

“But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning.”

The words “but” and “yet” and “for” in this quote clearly mean God knew ahead of time that man would sin. They cannot mean the opposite. It would make no sense. And yet in spite of knowing it in advance, God chose to go through it. Why? The answer is short and sweet – “…for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness.”

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #88543
05/02/07 03:33 PM
05/02/07 03:33 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R:The fact that God knew that Jesus wouldn’t sin is post-hoc probability.

T: No, it’s not. Post-hoc is after the fact, not before the fact.

According to the view I am defending yes, it would be post-hoc, since God sees future events as past.

That doesn’t matter in regards to my question. I just asked, what is the probability Christ would fail before the fact? By your logic, if I asked the question, what is the probability of a fair coin coming up heads, you would respond that this is a post-hoc probability problem, since God sees future events as past. In fact, there would be no such thing as a probability problem which isn’t post-hoc.
Again, my question was simply, as of 1000 B.C., before the fact, what was the probability that Christ would fail? Not post-hoc. Just like a coin flip question.

Quote:
If you know the outcome of an event before it happens, there is some reason for that.

The problem is trying to apply probability, which is a human concept, to spiritual truths.

The same thing could be said about logic. Logic is a human concept. But this is besides the point. We were discussing probability on its own terms, and you made several statements which are incorrect. Before getting to some of the more involved ones, I was trying to establish a foundation on which they could be discussed. Without a foundation, such as that an event can have a probability of between 0 and 1 of occurring, and an understanding of how probabilities are calculated, there’s no way I can even go through the pregnancy examples you gave.
The statement that if you know the outcome and event before it happens, doesn’t affect a probability of an event, is simply wrong. Probabilities are always set according to the knowledge that you have of the event. For example, if you know that the Ace of Spades is the top card of a deck of cards, you can assert that the next card dealt will be the Ace of Spades with probability 1. If you don’t have this knowledge, the probability is 1/52. One’s knowledge of an event affects the probability, and affects risk. It is because of this fact that insider trading is illegal.

If the prior probability of something happening is 0 (like, for instance, in the case of pregnancy without a masculine cell), there is no formula I know of in the probability theory which could give 100% chance of the event happening, even if you know the outcome beforehand.

Before I can discuss this with you intelligently, we need to have an agreement as to some basic things, which I lined out in a previous post. There were three that I mentioned. One is the definition of probability, two was how the probability of an event is calculated, and three is that these things are not private opinions that I hold. I am not presenting “my understanding” of probability, or “my interpretation” or “my definition.”

Quote:

This can be very tricky. You have to distinguish between the risks involved in the process (the process itself may be risky) and the risk involved in the outcome.

I don’t believe you are analyzing this correctly. Apply this to the sports idea I gave. If there is risk of a shutout in the game, there is risk in the final result. Conversely, if the final result has no risk of shutout, there is no chance a goal could be scored during the game.

Pick any example you want, which has an event which can be clearly quantified, and you’ll see that what I asserted is correct. If the process has risk, so does the final result. If the final result has no risk, then neither did the process. Since the process determines the final result, there is no way to disconnect these. To assert risk in one, is to assert risk in the other.

Living is dangerous. Provided that you don’t live in the last generation, what is the risk that you will die? 100%.

If your name doesn’t start with “E”.

And what is the risk in relation to the outcome? 0.
If you know the outcome beforehand, this means that there is no risk that the final result will change (since you already know it), but this does not prevent the process from being risky.

Please take no offense, but this doesn’t make any sense. Apply this to some specific example. For example, what is the “risk” of drawing 5 aces in a normal deck of cards? It is 0. This is equivalent to asserting that there is no event which can result in a fifth Ace being dealt. Since there is no risk in the process (there is no “a fifth Ace is dealt” event), there is no risk in the final outcome (you can’t be dealt 5 aces from a fifth deck).

You are asserting that there is risk in the process (there is an “a fifth Ace is dealt” event), but not in the final result (you can be dealt 5 Aces). This isn’t logically consistent. If there is the risky event in the process, then the final result will exhibit that risk.

To translate this to Christ, if there is risk in the process, then there exists an event such that Christ fails. We’ll call this E. E is the event “Christ fails”. The final process is P, which is “Christ has failed.” If E exists, then so does P. You can’t logically assert that E exists, but P does not (which is what you are asserting), because E results in P.

In the case of Christ, what was the risk involved in the process? Facing all the threats posed to Him. What was the risk involved in the final result? None, because God foresaw that He would overcome all the threats.

This argument applies just as much to the process as to the final result. If you can assert there is no risk to the final process (No “P” as defined previously), then you can equally assert, by exactly the same logic, that there is no “E”. In other words, there is no risk in the process, because God foresaw that there was no “Christ fails” event.

Speaking of the temptations, it is interesting to note that Ellen White speaks of Christ as “capable of yielding to temptations”, and she speaks about “the liability of Christ to yield to Satan’s temptations.” Webster says that “liable implies exposure or susceptibility to something undesirable.” Christ was susceptible to temptations and capable of yielding to them, like all other human beings.

Or, to put it more simply, Christ was tempted in all points as we are.

“Our Lord's trial and test and proving shows that He could yield to these temptations, else the battle was all a farce. ... As God, Christ could not be tempted any more than He was not tempted from His allegiance in heaven. But as Christ humbled Himself to the nature of man, He could be tempted. He had not taken on Him even the nature of the angels, but humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin. A human body, a human mind, with all the peculiar properties, He was bone, brain, and muscle. A man of our flesh, He was compassed with the weakness of humanity. The circumstances of His life were of that character that He was exposed to all the inconveniences that belong to men, not in wealth, not in ease, but in poverty and want and humiliation. ... Our Lord was tempted as man is tempted. He was capable of yielding to temptations, as are human beings. ... But here we must not become in our ideas common and earthly, and in our perverted ideas we must not think that the liability of Christ to yield to Satan's temptations degraded His humanity and He possessed the same sinful, corrupt propensities as man. The divine nature, combined with the human, made Him capable of yielding to Satan's temptations. ... To suppose He was not capable of yielding to temptation places Him where He cannot be a perfect example for man, and the force and the power of this part of Christ's humiliation, which is the most eventful, is no instruction or help to human beings.” {16MR 181, 182}

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88544
05/02/07 03:45 PM
05/02/07 03:45 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, just because I see it differently than you do it does not mean I am setting aside the SOP. That is an unfair characterization.

My comment was not based on how you see things, but on what you are doing. I've never taken the tack you are taking. You prefer using the Spirit of Prophecy to discuss issues, so I have discussed things according to your preference. When things have been presented with which you disagree, you say that words mean something different than they normally mean, and ask, "Where in Scripture does it say such and such?"

When you use the Spirit of Prophecy to quote something, you do so with the understanding that it is authoritative, and ends the discussion, proving the point. But when I do the same, you ask for more demonstration, something from Scripture.

What Ellen White writes is so clear, why do you need more? You accept her as an authoritative source. Your actions ring hollow. They would ring hollow even if you agreed with me.

It's that you disagree with me that I take issue with, but your means of proceeding with a discussion.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88546
05/02/07 03:51 PM
05/02/07 03:51 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, there is nothing circular about it. The fact is, “B” would not have “led to a better [or equal] result”. There was no such option. Why? Because God would have employed it instead. Again, this isn’t based on circular reasoning. It is based on a knowledge of God’s love and character. You seem to be implying that there was a “better” option available to God, but that He chose not employ it. This idea implicates God.

MM, this argument is completely circular. You make a circular argument, and then assert that it's not. You're asserting that it isn't doesn't make is any less circular.

God had to options, A and B. In option A, Lucifer is created, and sin results. In option B, Lucifer is not created, and sin does not result. I am asking you why God preferred option A to B. The implication is that God preferred a world with sin to one without sin. Why?

This is my question.

You, so far, have refused to even try to answer the question, instead you are saying that B wasn't an option, because if it were, then God would have done it. You have argued that A is better, because God chose it. This is circular!

Let's make the assumption that A and B are of equal value as options. That way God is not constrained to choose an inferior option, but to choose among equal options. Why would God create Lucifer, knowing He would sin, rather than refrain from doing so, and have a universe without sin?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88580
05/03/07 11:06 AM
05/03/07 11:06 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: According to the view I am defending yes, it would be post-hoc, since God sees future events as past.

T: That doesn’t matter in regards to my question. I just asked, what is the probability Christ would fail before the fact?

Do you remember why you asked that?
You had said (post # 88056):

Quote:
I'm not seeing at all the ideas of which you are speaking, Rosangela, in what she wrote. She is talking about risk here, not ability to sin. She says "heaven itself was imperiled." This is going beyond the physical ability to sin. Was it possible for Christ to fail in His task? Could He have actually (not just physically) sinned?

In the T.V. rerun future view of things, how could it be said that heaven was in any danger whatsoever? Since God was 100% certain Christ wouldn't sin, and everything God is certain about happens just the way He knows it will, then wouldn't heaven have been in as much danger as it is now? (which is to say, none).

To which I replied:

“Again, He could have sinned, but God foreknew He would be victorious. Whenever Ellen White speaks of risk, she is obviously referring to the temptations of Christ and to the issue of the great controversy, and neither was a farce.”

To which you replied:

Quote:
If it wasn't a farce, and Christ could actually have sinned, then God must have foreknown that possibility. You've got a hopeless contradiction going here. If God foreknew that Christ would be victorious, He couldn't simultaneously foreknow that Christ could fail. Either He foreknew that Christ would be victorious, in which case Christ's probability of failure was 0, or He foreknew that Christ might fail, in which case His possibility of failure was greater than 0.

So let's ask the question this way; was Christ's possibility of failure 0, or greater than 0?

To which I replied:

“Again, by asking this you are concerned with the final result, while Ellen White was concerned with the threat posed to Christ. If the conflict was real, the threat was real.”

To which you replied:

Quote:
What's the answer to the question? Before the fact, say 1000 B.C., what was the probability that Christ would fail? Was it 0? Or was it greater than 0?

I can't tell from reading your post what your answer to this question is.

So, before we proceed, we must make clear what we are going to discuss. Is it God’s foreknowledge, or what? Should we put God in the picture or take Him out of the picture? If you begin to discuss something, then change the focus of the discussion, we will simply be talking past each other.
What I said was that God was 100% certain that Christ wouldn't sin because He saw the event happen, which is post-hoc probability. But this doesn’t affect the prior probability. Is there something wrong in this reasoning?

Quote:
Or, to put it more simply, Christ was tempted in all points as we are.

No. What she is saying is that Christ was capable of being tempted, capable of sinning, liable or susceptible to temptation and sin, which of course suggests physical, mental and spiritual capability.

Page 34 of 103 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!