HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88577
05/03/07 02:25 AM
05/03/07 02:25 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, on the "True Conversion" thread you and I agreed that God imputes repentance, or salvation, in cases involving people who die before they are able to repent. Can we apply this same truth here?

Also, your hypothetical possibilities divorce the fact God knows who will repent if they had lived long enough. Thus, God knows who will choose to be save and who will not. Accordingly, He chooses the best time and place to cause or allow them to die.

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88581
05/03/07 11:39 AM
05/03/07 11:39 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: In your opinion, why does God allow people to continue suffering and dying?
T: God was accused ... Satan asserted ... It took time for the truth to be seen.

In view of this, what do you think of the hypothesis you said I am suggesting?
 Quote:
That is, that God allows people to live, even though they can be lost, in order to demonstrate the sinfulness of sin? The same thing would be true about allowing people to die, right? God allowed the victims of the holocaust to die, in order to demonstrate the sinfulness of sin?

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Rosangela] #88591
05/03/07 02:38 PM
05/03/07 02:38 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I'd like to repost a quote Arnold posted in the thread "True Conversion described":

Quote:
O that we could all realize the nearness of heaven to earth! When the earth-born children know it not, they have the angels of light as their companions; for the heavenly messengers are sent forth to minister to those who shall be heirs of salvation. A silent witness guards every soul that lives, seeking to win and draw him to Christ. The angels never leave the tempted ones a prey to the enemy, who would destroy the souls of men if permitted to do so. As long as there is hope, until they resist the Holy Spirit to their eternal ruin, men are guarded by heavenly intelligences." {ST, June 6, 1895 par. 5,6}

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Rosangela] #88600
05/03/07 04:59 PM
05/03/07 04:59 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, I'm not sure where we are. Here's what I understood your original argument to be.

1.God chooses the best moment for everyone to die.
2.Choosing the best moment means that no one who is saved God will allow to be lost, if the person could remain saved just by dying.

It's sort of a "once saved always saved" idea, but with a different implementation. It's not that a person couldn't lose their salvation if they so chose, but God doesn't allow them to do so. Out of mercy, He has them die before they could make this choice.

Did I understand you correctly on this?

I was discussing logical problems I saw with this hypothesis. For example, you mentioned the children of SDA parents having a 100% chance of being saved, but that percentage lowering a lot as the children mature. This seemed to me to be providing evidence against your hypothesis. Are we on the same page here?

The following is for MM as well (even more so, at the end)

Regarding the timing of people's deaths, I don't think we have enough information to say too much, other than that God will act in harmony with His character of mercy and compassion. However, we live in a world of sin, where unjust things happen. People die of horrible, painful diseases, which I don't believe is God's will. God can work through these things, to bring good out of evil, but I don't believe it was God's will that the Jews be killed in the holocaust. God did not choose the moment for these Jews to die; Hitler did. God allowed it, of course, and we can suggest reasons for it, but it's a bit like the speculations of an ant as to what's happening in the world of humans. We know so little, that are speculations are likely to be missing a great deal of information. This seems to be the lesson (or a lesson) of Job, where God asked Job, "Where were you ..." etc. The job of being God is complicated, we just see a small bit of what is happening. It's our tendency to want to simplify things so that we can understand them.

When a question comes, why did this bad thing happen to so and so? the answer isn't always easy. When we see Jesus asked these types of questions, *not once* did Jesus attribute the illness or death to God's will. God's will was revealed in the healing of the sick person, in the resurrection of the dead one.

God allows some bad things to happen, and intervenes in others. Sometimes we have a good idea as to why, other times we have very little clue. We can trust that God will do what is right, but we cannot conclude that because such-and-such happened, that this was God's will. Job is the poster boy for this.

Job suffered the misfortune that he did because of Satan's will, not God's. God did not ask Satan to do these bad things, but rather God allowed Satan to carry out his purposes. God is able to make good come from evil, but we shouldn't confuse Satan's will for God's.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88601
05/03/07 05:15 PM
05/03/07 05:15 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The angels never leave the tempted ones a prey to the enemy, who would destroy the souls of men if permitted to do so. As long as there is hope, until they resist the Holy Spirit to their eternal ruin, men are guarded by heavenly intelligences.

I've mentioned the thought of the first sentence many times. It's similar to this:

Quote:
Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. (GC 35, 36)

The above accounts for the cases where Satan would destroy. However, many deaths occur which are not directly due to Satan's influence.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88603
05/03/07 05:27 PM
05/03/07 05:27 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, on the "True Conversion" thread you and I agreed that God imputes repentance, or salvation, in cases involving people who die before they are able to repent.

I've not said God imputes repentance or salvation to these people. I said they weren't in a lost condition.

Can we apply this same truth here?

I don't think this works. I'll explain in detail at the end of this post.

Also, your hypothetical possibilities divorce the fact God knows who will repent if they had lived long enough. Thus, God knows who will choose to be save and who will not. Accordingly, He chooses the best time and place to cause or allow them to die.

I don't think you're looking at this the right way. God looks at the heart, and sees what the person is actually like. He doesn't look in to a hypothetical future to see what the person might have done, and judge the person according to that. He makes judgement based on knowing a person's character, not on the basis of foreknowledge.

Here's what I hear you saying. In the case of a CBTAOA, God looks to see what that child would have done had he or she lived, and if, at some point in its future, say even as an old man or woman, he or she would have accepted Christ, then God includes that person in the first resurrection. If I have this wrong, please correct me, and you can ignore the rest of this, but this is what I'm hearing you say.

There are many problems with this theory, including it's not being ethical or fair, but I'll leave those, and just deal with some problems invovling logical inconsistencies.

You could apply the same logic to any people who die, not just children. Say a person dies, for whatever reason, and God sees that the person would have accepted Christ had he lived another ten years. Does God take that person to heaven, even though he never actually repented or accepted Christ. He would have, had he lived, so is that good enough? If not, why is it good enough for children?

One can consider the case of infants and fetuses as well. Is a fetus alive? If so, can God do the same thing as for other CBEAOA, and look to see what the fetus would have done had it lived? If it would have accepted Christ, then it is saved? Where does one draw the line? How about a zygote? Can God see what a zygote would have done, and on the basis of that, take it to heaven? How about a pre-zygote? Can God look at a sperm cell, and an egg, and see the zygote that would have formed, and see that it would have developed into a person who would have accepted Christ, and take the sperm cell/egg to heaven? Where does one draw the line, if one reasons along these lines?

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88623
05/04/07 02:28 PM
05/04/07 02:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Here's what I understood your original argument to be.

1. God chooses the best moment for everyone to die.
2. Choosing the best moment means that no one who is saved God will allow to be lost, if the person could remain saved just by dying.

No. My original argument was:

1. God chooses the best moment for everyone to die (in terms of opportunity for salvation, within the circumstances of each person).
2. He will not allow someone to die unsaved if this person could be saved in the future.

Wouldn't this idea agree with the quote?

Quote:
As long as there is hope, until they resist the Holy Spirit to their eternal ruin, men are guarded by heavenly intelligences.

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Rosangela] #88632
05/04/07 05:59 PM
05/04/07 05:59 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's the quote:

Quote:
The angels never leave the tempted ones a prey to the enemy, who would destroy the souls of men if permitted to do so. As long as there is hope, until they resist the Holy Spirit to their eternal ruin, men are guarded by heavenly intelligences. Let us all bear in mind that in every assembly of the saints below are the angels of God, listening to the thanksgiving, the praise, the supplication that is offered by the people of God in testimonies, songs, and prayers. Let them remember that their praises are supplemented by the choirs of the angelic host above.

This is speaking about Satan destroying someone. It's not speaking about a person destroying himself, or others. It's not saying God will unconditionally supernaturally keep people alive if they could be saved. That's reading *way* more into the quote than she intended. Also, it doesn't work, for the reasons we already discussed. Using this principle, as you seem to be suggesting, would imply that all young children of SDA's (assuming these are all saved as infants) would die while still in a saved condition, if they could be lost in the future, but this is not what happens.

I thought we have been through this and agreed on this point.

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Tom] #88658
05/06/07 01:47 PM
05/06/07 01:47 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Perhaps I've found the correct way to express my view. My point is that every person who is judged in the final judgment will have had, in some way or other, the opportunity to see the light (even in a very limited way) and be saved. If they are not saved it's because they chose not to follow the light they had. They are without excuse. Therefore, God will not allow a person who has reached the age of accountability to die without having had an opportunity to see the light.

Re: Does God Choose the Best Moment for Every Person to Die? [Re: Rosangela] #88662
05/06/07 06:04 PM
05/06/07 06:04 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think this is an interesting idea. Before discussing this, are you agreeing that the statement that God chooses the best moment for everyone to die is false?

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!